Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

No that helps a lot and I get it now. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

No that helps a lot and I get it now. Thanks!

No problem. Glad I could help!

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

Joudas posted:

You guys really need to check this out, this poo poo is bananas.

B A-N A-N A S

It's every nerd genre and RPG game mashed up... and it works?

Dungeons: The Dragoning posted:

You hold in your
hands a roleplaying game, one that asks you a
very important question. Is a man not entitled
to the grandest of adventure? 'No!' says the
man with the neckbeard, 'it would be unbalanced.'
'No!' says the man in the high heels, 'it
wouldn't be deep enough.' 'No!' says the man
on the internet 'the new edition ruins everything
forever.' I rejected those answers; instead,
I chose something different. I chose the
impossible. I chose... DUNGEONS THE
DRAGONING, a game where the fighter
would not fear the wizard, where the cleric
would not be nerfed, where the great would
not be constrained by the small!

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

DarckRedd posted:

Welp, downloading.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Evil Mastermind posted:

p'zones

When I played Spirit of the Century, my character was black, and whenever he went about without the obviously well-to-do and white PC, the GM created zones and barriers representing the places social convention restricted him from.

That bit was pretty cool. Though I can't say the rest of our experiences left any of us with much good to say about the game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted it here yet, but I'd like to call your attention to the free, totally ripped off Dungeons: The Dragoning. Give it a whirl, see what you think.

Do you think it would be worth trying to run a game of this here? I'm sort of toying with the idea...the system is just like nerd pen and paper gaming crack and I kind of want a hit.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Do you think it would be worth trying to run a game of this here? I'm sort of toying with the idea...the system is just like nerd pen and paper gaming crack and I kind of want a hit.

Oh drat, I would be so tempted to play. I feel exactly the same way.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which, version 1.2 is out.

quote:

* Things are now in alphabetical order. You would be surprised how long it took to do that.
* Examples have been put in the book for Character Creation, Spell Combos, and Special Attacks.
* A few things (such as the description of Raises and Checks) have been provided earlier in the book.
* Specialties have been changed to just give +1 to the stat or skill when they apply, to make things less confusing.
* Sizes changed to have 4 as human average. Halfings are 2, Elves are 3, Aasimar are 5, and so forth.
* The Aasimar Racial ability starts them with Fearless and Jaded so they never need to spend XP on them.
* Human Racial ability now gives you +100 starting XP.
* Squat Toughness is now less broken, working as a once per scene reduction of hit point loss to 1.
* Atlanteans made less weak. Their mechanics for recharging their resource point have been improved and they can roll twice for all Psychic Phenomena rolls and take either or both results.
* What happens to a promethean with damaged limbs or a destroyed body is spelled out.
* Promethean Alchemy has been replaced with an ability to recharge Pyros after taking E damage.
* Vampires can now use parasols to protect themselves from the sun - the more frills the parasols have, the greater protection they give.
* A Werewolf in Warform is slightly less rape.
* Free Study has been added to the Classes section as an option between class choices.
* Classes in general have been fixed a bit. Some have had skills added.
* Several missing feats have been added.
* Exalt Asset section has been re-done to stop having such a terrible layout.
* Racial Feats now note the race they are for.
* Psychic Phenomena now occurs when keeping exploded dice on an Unfettered test instead of when rolling doubles, thus making it less punishing to high-stat casters but also making the choice of risking Phenomena an actual choice.
* Evocation spells now do real damage instead of wasting your turn.
* Necromancy and Transmutation changed significantly. Wizards now get Necromancy, Clerics get Transmutation.
* Special Attacks that use non-attack actions have been made more clear on what they mean.
* Dots in the Artifact Background limited to 5 total during character creation.
* Mithril Legs made less broken, no longer better than being Super-God.
* Necrodermis weapons no longer impossible to parry or dodge, still immune to prayers and mercy.
* Rolled dice over 10 now convert to Kept dice at a 2:1 ratio instead of 1:1, thus ensuring that future generations will still have kept dice to use.
* Stunting not changed at all. Mentioning it here because no one uses it.
* Healing Surge action added in. God help us all.
* Monster sizes changed to go with the new average size.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Patch notes of that length seem highly "un-indie". :v:

Well, they are longer than some entire games. Go play ghost/Echo or Inspectres or something, dang.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Doc Hawkins posted:

Patch notes of that length seem highly "un-indie". :v:

Well, they are longer than some entire games. Go play ghost/Echo or Inspectres or something, dang.

Speaking of ghost/Echo, has anyone had a chance to play that? Failing that, any good Actual Plays out there? I ran across it a while back and it pressed some of my Orpheus-related ghosts-and-technology buttons. I'd love to see how it works in actual play.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I've played it, and I thought it was great. It's nearly the ultimate one-shot, although you can play it multiple times and get very different outcomes. And I think there are cool hacks with different settings. I think the freedom it gives you makes it hard to make the action be restrained, unless absolutely everyone wants it to be.

An interesting phenomenon I noticed was that different players 'get' the degree of narrative freedom at different rates, such that at the end of the game, some of them are still shooting and punching dudes, but some are tearing out the hearts of building-sized terror-golem and transforming into a new heart, effectively becoming a building-sized terror-golem. (guilty!) Oh, and more outgoing people will define the setting and situation.

All in all, for my tastes, it could use a few more rules, but it works great at what it does, which is a few hours of radical weird action.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
This thread keeps introducing me to new systems. I'm reading through Six Thirteen Three Sixteen at the moment, and wondering if anyone has ever tried a PbP of it here on the forums? It looks fairly fast and easy. Would there be any interest if I was to throw up a thread for it later on?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Fight! system? I love classic arcade/fighting games and thought it might be fun to try out that system. Are there any better ones for capturing that sort of theme/spirit?

Edit: I threw up a 3:16 game here if anyone is interested in playing- 3:16 Newbie Enlistment Office

Gravy Train Robber fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 10, 2011

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

This thread keeps introducing me to new systems. I'm reading through Six Thirteen at the moment, and wondering if anyone has ever tried a PbP of it here on the forums? It looks fairly fast and easy. Would there be any interest if I was to throw up a thread for it later on?

I might have missed a game in there somewhere, but are you talking about "3:16 Carnage Among the Stars"? If so, then yes. I even have a print copy coming in the mail soon :D

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Okay I threw up a recruitment/interest check thread.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Dogs in the Vineyard is one I didn't see mentioned yet.

Wikipedia posted:

Setting

The game is set in "a West that never quite was" - loosely based on the Mormon State of Deseret in pre-statehood Utah. Players are "God's Watchdogs" (Dogs), who travel from town to town delivering mail, helping out the community and enforcing the judgments of the True Faith of the King of Life. This may involve anything from delivering new interpretations to the town's Steward to executing heretics. Dogs have absolute authority within the Faith, but not within the laws of the Territorial Authority, and so their actions can lead to conflict with the government in the East.

System

The game features an unusual form of conflict resolution, where die rolls are used in poker-style bids.

Character's statistics and traits are represented by dice pools. At the start of a conflict, the Gamemaster and other players decide what is at stake, determine which pools are applicable, and those are rolled at that point. The character with the initiative puts forward a "raise" of two dice, while narrating a portion of the conflict which is beneficial to his character's position in the conflict. The opponent must respond by putting forward one or more dice whose total exceeds the total of the dice which were used to raise, or "give" — i.e. lose the conflict. If three or more dice are needed, the opponent suffers "fallout" — a negative outcome to be determined at the end of the conflict. If only one die is needed by the opponent, the attack has been "turned against the attacker" and the die can be reused to raise in the next round. The opponent now begins a round by putting forward two dice which the first character must match, and so on until one player or the other gives. Players may bring in new dice by "escalating" the conflict, from non-physical (discussion) to physical (running away) to brawling and then to gunfighting. If the conflict didn't start with non-physical, players may escalate from gunfighting to discussion, though it occurs only rarely. The GM's set of rules in conflict is very simple: "Say yes, or roll dice."

One of the most potent aspects of the system is "Town Creation" where the moral landscape of the town is laid out in the form of characters, their desires, and what they've done to each other. This gives the GM the ability to make sure that merely engaging meaningfully in the town is interesting and making wins or losses less important to them. By representing the townsfolk and their interests, rather than presenting a tactical challenge, the GM is able to pose interesting questions of the players and give them opportunities to judge their own characters.

Seems like a neat system, and is very reminiscent of Stephen King's The Dark Tower, but sadly I never found anyone to play with, and by nature it's not something you could play as a PBP... maybe over ventrilo/skype or IRC or something.

EDIT: So I got the Smallville book in PDF since people were singing its praises, and I gotta say... this seems really drat cool. I'm still trying to get a grasp of it all, but is anyone interested in running a game with it, because I would be so down for that... don't even set it in Smallville, or even the DC universe... poo poo, you could put it in the Old West for all it matters. The system seems drat flexible and pretty easy to adapt to basically anything.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 12, 2011

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Women...bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch
Dogs is my second favorite indie game, right after Dread. I so want to hack it into a star wars game, where rather than dogs the PCs are Jedi Knights in the Old Republic, traveling from system to system to protect the innocent.

Rather than the debate->physical->punches->guns escalation, it would go negotiations->Physical->The Force->Lightsabers.

Then you add another level, with a big bowl of black d12s in the middle of the table. Going to lose the lightsaber fight? Raise the stakes by giving in to the Dark Side.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Maddman posted:

Dogs is my second favorite indie game, right after Dread. I so want to hack it into a star wars game, where rather than dogs the PCs are Jedi Knights in the Old Republic, traveling from system to system to protect the innocent.

Rather than the debate->physical->punches->guns escalation, it would go negotiations->Physical->The Force->Lightsabers.

Then you add another level, with a big bowl of black d12s in the middle of the table. Going to lose the lightsaber fight? Raise the stakes by giving in to the Dark Side.

I like this idea and would play the poo poo out of it, if you ever want to try running it online somehow.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The official name for that conversion, by the way, is Banthas in the Vineyard. I believe there are some Actual Plays lying around on places like The Forge and Storygames. At least one group also did a DitV game in the Exalted setting with Immaculate Monks in place of God's Watchdogs.

It's a very skinnable game as long as you have a good grasp of the structure and what you can and can't change.

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

I know a guy that ran a Cops in the Hood game, with the PCs being cops in a drug/crime ridden area full of corruption. :)

Team Black Zion
Aug 26, 2006

Next time you play chess, be sure to replace your queens and knights with pawns!

Maddman posted:

I know a guy that ran a Cops in the Hood game, with the PCs being cops in a drug/crime ridden area full of corruption. :)

Given the average demographic of tabletop gamers, was it hilariously racist and stereotypical?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

One of my dream games would be a hack of DitV for TNG-style Star Trek. Cruise on over to a planet, discover what major issue you're confronting this week, and set about resolving it. The escalation would be something like discussion -> "standard" technology (warp engines go fast, transporters teleport things, etc.) -> technobabble -> violence.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Maddman posted:

Ohh man I have some of those old Vampire d10s, they're black and with red numbers that would be perfect for that bowl.

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Squizzle posted:

One of my dream games would be a hack of DitV for TNG-style Star Trek. Cruise on over to a planet, discover what major issue you're confronting this week, and set about resolving it. The escalation would be something like discussion -> "standard" technology (warp engines go fast, transporters teleport things, etc.) -> technobabble -> violence.

If I run an indie Star Trek game, it's going to be Dread. Okay, the away team has landed on the planet. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are going off to explore that glowing city full of horny alien chicks. You ensigns stay here and guard the shuttlecraft. All you have is your phaser set on stun, a tricorder, and your red shirts.

Also, the questionnaires would have stuff in them like "Why do you think Mr. Spock likes to corner you and grill you about calculating subspace fields in front of the other guys all the time?", or "What was the worst part about that time Captain Kirk hosed your sister?"

I'd call the session "Kobayashi Maru"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Someone made a Star Wars Lady Blackbird hack.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Fuzz posted:

Dogs in the Vineyard is one I didn't see mentioned yet.

Seems like a neat system, and is very reminiscent of Stephen King's The Dark Tower, but sadly I never found anyone to play with, and by nature it's not something you could play as a PBP... maybe over ventrilo/skype or IRC or something.

One of the players in the Rogue Trader game I'm in (Who, coincidentally, plays a Missionary and is also a goon) is batshit gaga for Dogs and has an open offer to run a game anytime. It seems interesting but from what I've been told and read, it sounds like the way the game is played is to argue with the other players the entire time. Is that an unfair assessment?

Based on that alone, I've pretty much sworn off ever playing as I'm more interested in the collaborative storytelling aspect of gaming and not arguing moral relativism with my friends for hours on end. My view is colored by a BSG game that the aforementioned friend ran that was essentially 'You're all high ranking members in various factions, try to get your way' PVP.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you're arguing moral relativism for hours on end you're doing it wrong. You argue, reach a point where neither of you can sway the other with words alone, then escalate. Someone backs down or gets their rear end kicked or a revolver puts a big hole in them. Then you move on to the next problem.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

It seems interesting but from what I've been told and read, it sounds like the way the game is played is to argue with the other players the entire time. Is that an unfair assessment?

I don't think that's true. You lay down the stakes at the start of the encounter, and that's Whats Going To Happen. Once the dice run out, it just happens and there's no way to stop it except to start throwing punches and/or shooting fools.

I really don't even see what there is to argue about. You have a set number of dice so it's going to end at some point. And if at any time you wanna jump into a fight go ahead and escalate.

The rules are kind of a fun read anyway so check it out

Sweet Avatar BTW.

Joudas fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 1, 2011

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
It also depends on the tone you play it with. There's a section in the rules outlining how you might run/play the game with varying levels of supernatural presence in the game world. With no or very low presence the game is more about moral relativism. With increasing amounts of supernatural involvement the morality becomes closer to absolute. There isn't really any room for argument when the entire story is suffused with such effects and a willingly possessed person is murdering children at the behest of a cackling sorceror. Most games I've read about fall in the middle somewhere, with a couple of supernatural elements but enough wiggle room for sympathy.

There are two podcast sessions here if you want to see how the game runs normally (and with a medium level of the supernatural).

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I'll definitely check out the podcasts when I have free time, thanks. I'm not sure if I'm eager to play the game (I don't really enjoy PVP) but I do appreciate the replies.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'll definitely check out the podcasts when I have free time, thanks. I'm not sure if I'm eager to play the game (I don't really enjoy PVP) but I do appreciate the replies.

Why do you think it's PVP? You really need to read the rules man, I think maybe it wasn't described to you right.

It's really not about arguing with your friends or PVP at all. It's pretty much a traditional RPG with a really interesting resolution mechanic. (You roll dice and raise/see with them poker style)

Edit: I'm actually about to play a Dogs game so it's been on my mind. It's closer to like a white wolf RPG than anything you're describing (so I really think you need to just read the book for yourself, again.) To be honest, if anything the rules make it so that you would spend LESS time arguing moral relativism with your friends than rolling dice and kicking rear end.

This man is a proper christian man, and he's got a gun, and he's about to go shoot his wife for cheating on him. That is what's going to happen. Unless you stop him. Your character probably wants to talk to him(but you can just start shooting if you really want), so you roll your social dice. You go back and forth raising and seeing and role playing out the conversation. Once you're out of dice, that's it. You can't get MORE social dice, or just roll them over and over. If you lost, the man is going to walk off and shoot his wife and your character will just stand there dumb founded.

Unless you wanna pull your own gun.... (When we talk about escalating to violence, it's always on your mind because it's the only way to get more dice and "win" the situation. Even though you've just completely changed the situation.)

Joudas fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 1, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Almost every session of DitV I've seen has had the PCs differ at least a little on how to properly resolve a situation.

There is real and cool drama that comes from this, without hurt feelings. All you have to do is notice when people are arguing and ask them if their character wants to convince the other's character to do something, and that they can either start a conflict over it or accept that the matter is settled for now. And when the conflict ends...then they have to accept that the matter is settled for now.

We're all adults collaboratively creating and consuming a story, and that doesn't preclude our characters disagreeing, or even coming to blows.

I've never seen a dog actually draw iron on a brother dog, but as long as it was at an appropriately dramatic moment, it would be pretty awesome.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Whats the opinion of Agon? Personally I love the system, It's crazy fun and I saw it mentioned in passing here but no real talk of it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Doc Hawkins posted:

I've never seen a dog actually draw iron on a brother dog, but as long as it was at an appropriately dramatic moment, it would be pretty awesome.

For a contrasting perspective, I've never seen a Dogs game where this didn't happen, and Dog-on-Dog violence is very common in Actual Plays. It seems like the natural end-state of any Dogs game that goes beyond a couple of sessions. And yes, it is always awesome. Everyone goes into it knowing that there's no way for it to end well for either party once it gets to this point.

Then again I've only played DitV one-shots where the incentive to play balls to the wall and go for high stakes is very present.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I even think that the premise of the game naturally tends to "high-stakes morality," with the PCs bound by a common agreement that people doing the right thing instead of the wrong one is really, really important, but with all kinds of possibilities for disagreement, so heated arguments are way more likely than not.

But really, if someone chooses to shoot their friends and brothers because the group's voted they're going to suffer a witch to live, or let two men get married, or bury the dinosaur bones that could make Bridal Falls a beacon of learning and wisdom throughout the world...well, then they're the kind of person who would choose to do that. But I'm just saying, non-monomaniacal characters usually don't go that far.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 1, 2011

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

I think as long as you can keep from getting into an out of character debate on the moral issues you're dealing with, it should still be a good time. If your group is the type that likes to get into fights with each other, they'd do it in any game.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Kestral posted:

For a contrasting perspective, I've never seen a Dogs game where this didn't happen, and Dog-on-Dog violence is very common in Actual Plays. It seems like the natural end-state of any Dogs game that goes beyond a couple of sessions. And yes, it is always awesome. Everyone goes into it knowing that there's no way for it to end well for either party once it gets to this point.

Then again I've only played DitV one-shots where the incentive to play balls to the wall and go for high stakes is very present.

Yeah, this is sort of where I'm coming from. I was speaking about this issue with another player who owns Dogs and he said 'I think we're looking at it as "if the tool is effective and out there, it will be used every time," with the tool being defined as a combat confrontation escalation.' and I think he's spot on about how I was regarding the conflict resolution. If my character thinks his moral compass is correct and true, why would he ever back down?

And no, our little group of players doesn't get into out-of-character bickering matches, we're all pretty friendly with one another. :)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

If my character thinks his moral compass is correct and true, why would he ever back down?

Gee, I don't know, why do people not escalate to shouting, fisticuffs and gun battles every time their co-workers don't agree with them? :iiam:

In the game, you give up for two reasons: first because you don't think the consequences are worth it (a bad fallout roll after a gun battle can be deadly, especially if there's no one left willing to heal you), and second because it gives you an advantage in the followup conflict. So first you say "Raagh I demand that you gay-marry these two dudes," and then after two rounds of getting enough fallout for experience, you give, take the two high dice you've been saving and say "Actually, I really think we should just have them make a public show of contrition, with no other punishment."

By all means, use the rules to aggressively negotiate your preferred outcomes. As long as you don't actively grief, it's still fun.

e: Also, just to underline one of the lessons of the social conflict thread: when you win a conflict against someone, you change their mind about what they're going to do right now, not necessarily about the situation in general. Conversely and inversely, a character can change their mind in general without any conflict.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 1, 2011

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Gee, I don't know, why do people not escalate to shouting, fisticuffs and gun battles every time their co-workers don't agree with them? :iiam:

I see your point. I'm going to refrain from commenting more simply because I haven't read the book and don't know when I'll have the chance to. Thanks for the insights, everyone, I do appreciate it.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
To add to what Doc Hawkins said, verbal conflicts have a much greater chance of benefiting your character because the fallout dice (experience and injury in one mechanic) are smaller than those for other kinds of conflict, and so more likely to roll low (which is how you get positive experiences). The safest way to develop your character is to try and restrict conflict to words and unarmed violence as much as possible. Sometimes you just need to fill some bastard with lead, though, because they're an murderous sorceror or a bandit leader stealing food in winter or a shaman from the mountain taking back Mountain People converts or something similar, and solving the immediate problem is more important than slightly bettering your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Doc Hawkins posted:

You don't shoot your co-worker because you're not a teenage virgin with absolute moral authority who believes he's on a mission from God to save the immortal souls of his brethren. If you were, the revolver might look like a more viable option to an otherwise insoluble situation.

The Dogs are not the most rational people, and the stakes are very high.

That said, the speed and degree of escalation is a matter of tone and is easy to control. If everyone wants a longer game then the hand cannons are likely to stay holstered for a few sessions.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 1, 2011

• Locked thread