Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
It's relatively easy to keep Fiasco from going gonzo:

* Pick a Very Normal Playset. My favorite playset is the nice southern town, for this reason.
* Emphasize the Need, in every scene, even those where the person with the Need isn't around.
* Tell everyone up front, "let's keep this at least semi-realistic, no action movie logic and nothing too over-the-top"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I've played Fiasco twelve or more times over the last year? I'm at Morningstar levels with it.

I've never had a bad game where everyone wanted to play. Some people get the game implicitly, and they don't need much guidance. Generally, there are three other types of players:

Some players really try to win: Let them, to a degree. Their character can start off as the supermodel banging billionaire, Zark Muckerberg. As long as there's a good solid need at the center of the table, they'll want more than they have.
If they try to rely on a bunch of other people ("I send my bodyguard out"), those people fail. Always. Or they're too smart, and decide to counter-negotiate ("we have the heiress, but unless you triple our salary, she's going to die in transit, and we taped you telling us to kidnap her). Give them their goodies, but always at a cost.

If that doesn't work (and perhaps they're a genius), there's the humdrum stuff: they're late for church due to traffic; their favorite horse is actually stolen; they have an allergic reaction to Miller High Life.

Some are slow to input: This is fine. Make sure they know what the need is, what their character and relationship is, and give'em a few cliches to work with. Have the people next to them rope them into schemes, or give them a golden opportunity to grab a few 20s from the register. Never give them something insurmountable.

Some folks put their foot in their mouth repeatedly: And that's great! Their characters work better in Fiasco than in any other system. Unlike Paranoia, where they're repeatedly punished for talking about fragging their commanding officer, in Fiasco they're given lots and lots of attention. Just be careful that they can't get "stuck" - they get bailed out of jail, they get picked up by some creepy hitchhikers, the Mexicali bikers leave them bleeding in a dumpster instead of dead in a ditch.

The only problem I've had is when people don't want to play. That you really can't deal with.

weirdspaceships
Jan 26, 2012
Vincent Baker released his suite of Sundered Land nanogames. Five bucks gets you five games and two supplements. One of the games is meant to be played on Google+, or a blog or forum, and it's pretty rad.

http://nightskygames.com/welcome/game/TheSunderedLand

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Is anyone aware of a place to buy a physical or pdf copy of the Asocena supplement to Dog Eat Dog? I found out about the project a month after the kickstarter finished and have been trying to find a copy of this since. I was able to get the main game through the author's site but he has been completely unresponsive to my contact attempts asking if he is selling the supplement as well. The fact that the game is now on the short list for the 2013 Diana Jones Award has renewed my interest in tracking it down. Trying to get copies of some of these indie games is probably my least favorite part of them.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

weirdspaceships posted:

Vincent Baker released his suite of Sundered Land nanogames. Five bucks gets you five games and two supplements. One of the games is meant to be played on Google+, or a blog or forum, and it's pretty rad.

http://nightskygames.com/welcome/game/TheSunderedLand

I'm running one right now on G+. If anyone wants to watch or join in, I moved it from ExtendedCircles to Public. I'm only a few turns in, but it's a lot of fun.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Just thought I'd point people at this kickstarter: Crimson Exodus: 2nd Edition

The system in question is pretty cool, the product itself just needs some finishing touches and the author, Claus Børnich, is basically a really nice guy. To give you a few examples, when one guy bought the first edition of his first book, Trauma, just as the second edition was coming out, Claus sent him a pdf of the second edition by email, free of charge. He also gave me tons of advice via email for using that book with systems and damage types that he hadn't considered (like using the book for energy weapons, and replacing the damage tables from role master with the ones from Trauma), and when he started running a Fantasy Grounds game (unfortunately on hiatus), he gave me an early copy of the Crimson Exodus Second Edition rules, because I didn't have the more up to date Fantasy Dice book yet. That last one, by the way, is how I know he's on the level about just needing some finishing touches and a little more editing. As to the setting, well, between hobbits who worship ancient serpent gods and practice the dark arts, cruel elves who perform human sacrifice to power their blood magic, orc tribes that are basically run by their more intelligent slaves and many more besides, I reckon it's pretty cool.

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 6, 2013

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
You might also want to consider posting that in the TG kickstarter thread right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492577

Its more likely to get a larger number of people to look at it.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Ah. Didn't see that one. *facepalms* Thanks.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

aldantefax posted:

Mostly I play or participate in games with a little more emphasis on stuff that isn't this! I have heard things about systems like this, but I haven't played any of them, so I'd be interested in, like, doing so. Someone pointed out that octaNe was a kind of game that was similar to this, as is Houses of the Blooded, but it is not a 'roll your own Coen Brothers' movie!

Isn't there some game where you play as a Cathar???

Yes. You can play a Cathar in TORG. Honestly, you can play pretty much anything in TORG. In fact one of the anthology adventure supplements contains an adventure dealing with the rise of Catharism within the Cyberpapacy. Also, the Cleric's Sourcebook contains specifically Cathari miracles.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

johntfs posted:

Yes. You can play a Cathar in TORG. Honestly, you can play pretty much anything in TORG. In fact one of the anthology adventure supplements contains an adventure dealing with the rise of Catharism within the Cyberpapacy. Also, the Cleric's Sourcebook contains specifically Cathari miracles.

I've no idea why you are replying to a three year old post on page 1 out of 84 - but the game associated with playing an actual Cathar being mentioned is, as mentioned, Montsegur 1244. A very different game to that other roleplaying game.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

neonchameleon posted:

I've no idea why you are replying to a three year old post on page 1 out of 84 - but the game associated with playing an actual Cathar being mentioned is, as mentioned, Montsegur 1244. A very different game to that other roleplaying game.

I'm replying because the question is still valid despite its age. Yes, a game associated with playing a Cathar is Montsegur 1244. However, one can also play as a Cathar in TORG (which was known in-house at West End Games as, in fact, That Other Roleplaying Game). Both games are accurate answers to aldantefax's question even if mine came later in the thread.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

johntfs posted:

I'm replying because the question is still valid despite its age. Yes, a game associated with playing a Cathar is Montsegur 1244. However, one can also play as a Cathar in TORG (which was known in-house at West End Games as, in fact, That Other Roleplaying Game). Both games are accurate answers to aldantefax's question even if mine came later in the thread.

Holy poo poo, what kind of TORG stick got lodged up your rear end.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

fez_machine posted:

Holy poo poo, what kind of TORG stick got lodged up your rear end.

This one, obviously.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I saw a copy of Goalsystem Delves at my local half priced books. The cover was nice, but I didn't pick it up as I wanted to look up a review first. Turns out, there are none on RPG.net. Any goons know something about it?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

I've played Fiasco twelve or more times over the last year? I'm at Morningstar levels with it.

I've never had a bad game where everyone wanted to play.

I'm going to add one extra guideline based on my first experience of Fiasco.

If there is a new player and you are playing 3 or 5 players, make sure the newbie gets a need. If four players then make sure everyone gets a need.

It's the needs that drive the game - and with a location and a secret, but no need, my character's main goal was for the theatre he was playwrite at to survive (as if that would ever happen) and for his atheist tracts not to be discovered (he ended up converting to Christianity and using his skills as a playwrite to ghost-write sermons in the aftermath). It was a fundamentally reactive rather than proactive setup which ... wasn't as much fun as it might be. Wasn't remotely bad - but draw the newbie in.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
Some over-enthusiastic chump is trying to hawk Dogs In the Vineyard Towns on Patreon.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Has anyone here played Honor + Intrigue? Its name came up when I went hunting for systems to run swashbuckling piratey adventures in, but I haven't found many impressions one way or the other.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Is there any suitable replacement for the tower in Dread that would allow for online PBP play?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Roll a 1d100, if you roll 95+ the tower collapses, add +5 every time a roll is made? Pulled the numbers out of my rear end here, but you get the idea.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cocks Cable posted:

Is there any suitable replacement for the tower in Dread that would allow for online PBP play?

Surviving another level of Don't Shoot The Puppy?

Seriously, I can't think of anything that's anything like as visceral and that is almost entirely the responsibility of the player.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Kinda surprised there's no online client of Jenga out there. I know there's an iOS/Android version, although I guess that'd be more useful for an IRC game than a PBP.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They sent out the Hillfolk/Dramasystem books.

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes
Just got my copies of the Sorcerer books.

Overall, an interesting historical piece to have even if I don't end up playing it. And while I had skimmed the first book in the past, the supplements are...interesting. Sex & Sorcery seems to go a little loopy in places and Ron's stories from games he's played in were a little...eccentric? OK, let's be honest, some of those stories would end up in grogs.txt in an instant.

I loves me some interesting mechanics and new ways to play, but the text in some indie games goes weird places.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
My store just got in our Fate of the Norns kickstarter books. They look super nice. Anyone have any commentary on the system before I shell out $65?

Also, Hillfolk pdf is amazing. I have a lot of game reading to do before Fall semester.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So...anybody done any poking around on the apparently recently released Svavelvinter RPG English Teaser?

http://frialigan.se/2013/try-the-svavelvinter-rpg-in-english/

IIRC, it has been one of those projects from afar that folks were always hoping would make it into an English release.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I do some game design, all small press/indie stuff.

I wrote Eldritch rear end Kicking - arcane action and old men with sticks.

And then Barbarians Versus - barbarian marauders versus alien invaders.

Last Friday, I released Foreign Element, a science fiction rpg of furious action in a universe gone mad. It's a lot of fun. After a mysterious event known as the Great Blackout, government and corporate powers send out teams of heroes to reconnect lost planets, colonies, and spacecraft. The heroes basically are thrust between competing powers - do they take their paychecks from the government? Do they take it from corporate interests who might want to keep want went wrong on their distant laboratories a secret? Or do the heroes follow their own motivations? The setting is wide open - the heroes might encounter hordes of mutants, malfunctioning robots, renegade colonists, super intelligent AIs, and even alien creatures on prison worlds, former top secret laboratories, or abandoned terraforming ships. It has a fun sense of humor, with hints spread throughout at what might have caused the Great Blackout.

If you all want a goon discount, I can set something up.

I'd love to answer questions or do a demo or something if anyone is interested.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Kingdom RPG is out as a pdf. Anyone get it? What's it like?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I backed it so I got the prerelease PDF a while ago. It's an interesting game and has some interesting story based resolution involved. If you liked Microscope, definitely pick it up, it's not the same game, in fact, it has more emphasis on role playing (you decide on a character at the start of the game and keep them from scene to scene, even if their Roles change).

Actually, unlike Microscope, I can see Kingdom being more suited to play by post, although it is certainly intended to be a live game.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Has anyone done a write-up of Microscope yet?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RocketLunatic posted:

I do some game design, all small press/indie stuff.

I wrote Eldritch rear end Kicking - arcane action and old men with sticks.

And then Barbarians Versus - barbarian marauders versus alien invaders.

Last Friday, I released Foreign Element, a science fiction rpg of furious action in a universe gone mad. It's a lot of fun. After a mysterious event known as the Great Blackout, government and corporate powers send out teams of heroes to reconnect lost planets, colonies, and spacecraft. The heroes basically are thrust between competing powers - do they take their paychecks from the government? Do they take it from corporate interests who might want to keep want went wrong on their distant laboratories a secret? Or do the heroes follow their own motivations? The setting is wide open - the heroes might encounter hordes of mutants, malfunctioning robots, renegade colonists, super intelligent AIs, and even alien creatures on prison worlds, former top secret laboratories, or abandoned terraforming ships. It has a fun sense of humor, with hints spread throughout at what might have caused the Great Blackout.

If you all want a goon discount, I can set something up.

I'd love to answer questions or do a demo or something if anyone is interested.
These are cool lookin' games. Any plans for print editions?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Hyperactive posted:

These are cool lookin' games. Any plans for print editions?

Yes - thanks for the interest.

I've got a couple of proofs of Foreign Element through Lulu coming down the pipe, so I'll see if I dig the quality. I'll be looking at RPGNow/DriveThru's pod service too shortly.

EAK was published through Key20, and I just have a handful of copies left. Someday, I'll see if it can be reprinted. And next year, I hope to do a refresh of Barbarians Versus with an updated layout and stuff. So, yeah, I'll let SA know when this happens.

And I will do a coupon for those who grab the PDF version when the print becomes available.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I ran Lacuna: Part 1: The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl from Blue City on Halloween night. It went okay.

What worked: I didn't tell the players it was set in the dreamscape for about two hours, since the character section doesn't mention it at all, and I figured I'd follow its lead. It was cool, and I enjoyed creating a lucid atmosphere where dream logic and company logic made understanding their position difficult. I didn't tell them it was raining for about ten minutes after we started. The way I ran it felt a little like Paranoia, but with the GM narrator in the obfuscatory role. It comes with a few neat tricks to pull. The quirks listed in the book were great, as was the rest of the book itself.

What didn't: I wasn't able to effectively referee the difference between the three different kinds of success, and heart rate didn't seem to be a problem. That made it way too easy for the PCs to succeed. They fought a kleptomaniac who turned into a crystalline creature when shot, and spread not-ice all across the train compartment passenger corridor they were fighting in. But it only took a few successes to attach the Lacuna device, based on the way we framed the rolls. I wasn't sure if doubling down on successes was necessary for tougher actions. I started them into Blue City pretty close to the Hostile Personality, which in retrospect shortened the investigation period by a lot.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 5, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm re-reading Technoir and I'm totally falling in love with it this time. It left me sort of cold the first time around because I had Gibson in my head and I guess I'd never read hard-boiled fiction at the time. I read the whole of the Marid Audran and Takeshi Kovacs trilogies over Christmas, and now it just clicks.

It's basically the unofficial Budayeen RPG that for some reason just doesn't have an official Budayeen playbook. Everything from the way Connections works to the type of and way the Favours work to the selection of backgrounds and verbs basically screams YOU CAN PLAY MARID AUDRAN IN THIS.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm re-reading Technoir and I'm totally falling in love with it this time. It left me sort of cold the first time around because I had Gibson in my head and I guess I'd never read hard-boiled fiction at the time. I read the whole of the Marid Audran and Takeshi Kovacs trilogies over Christmas, and now it just clicks.

It's basically the unofficial Budayeen RPG that for some reason just doesn't have an official Budayeen playbook. Everything from the way Connections works to the type of and way the Favours work to the selection of backgrounds and verbs basically screams YOU CAN PLAY MARID AUDRAN IN THIS.
CYBERPUNK 2020 actually did have an official When Gravity Fails sourcebook published for it. Deifnitely worth picking up if you're a fan of the series.

Also, this.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
I brought up resurrecting this thread in the chat thread and nobody called me names, so here I go.

A friend pointed me to the just published One Last Job a one shot game in which you start with a blank character sheet and fill it in as other players tell anecdotes about you during play. It seemed like the kinda thing you guys might like.

So if you're losing a fight with a security guard another player might say "I can't believe you can't take down this old fart, I once saw you gut three prison guards with a toothpick for a shiv!" Then you get to re-roll your dice pool with an extra die in it, and you'll keep that extra die every time you roll anything relating to that story. You can also declare injuries mid game that give you a quick bonus, but will hamper you in future. So if you've not done anything that requires two eyes, someone else might declare you only have one half way through the game, or they might say you're suffering from PTSD, or that they divorced you.

I've only played one game so far, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Of course that might be because all my games tend to degenerate into farce anyway, I accidentally set myself on fire half way through the last heist I played.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.

Sticky Beethoven posted:

How do the Contempt mechanics work in The Quiet Year? The play example at the back of the text gives examples of situations where players might accumulate contempt tokens, but not of how they might be spent.

The book (which looks lovely, by the way) says that Contempt can be spent to "act selfishly, to the known detriment of the community, you can discard a Contempt token to justify your behaviour." Who is acting selfishly in this instance? Is it me the player? Is it a character in the community, keeping in mind that there is no "ownership" of characters in the sense of a conventional RPG? Is it a shift in the attitude of the whole ensemble of characters, a declaration that no-one in the story will be co-operating this week?

I might be overthinking this, and at any rate the circumstances in which Contempt is collected seem to be what the mechanic is really there for, not the ones in which they are dispensed. I'm confused because selfishness seems to be mentioned in reference to the Contempt mechanic and nowhere else, and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of reason for players to be selfish anyway.

Edit: Having thought about it for a bit, the answer is probably "Shut up and play the game, it will make sense then" as is so often the case with this hobby.

There's no "mechanical" way to spend Contempt; it's an end-game measure of how your community worked together. My group ended up with a fun houserule when one woman misunderstood the tokens: we spend them to start Projects that hinder the community. Like, "oh, the Cavedwellers totally retaliate against us, I'm spending a Contempt token to start their project to build an army. They march on us in five weeks." It works well!

Edit: didn't realize how old this was, sorry!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Scrape posted:

There's no "mechanical" way to spend Contempt; it's an end-game measure of how your community worked together. My group ended up with a fun houserule when one woman misunderstood the tokens: we spend them to start Projects that hinder the community. Like, "oh, the Cavedwellers totally retaliate against us, I'm spending a Contempt token to start their project to build an army. They march on us in five weeks." It works well!

Edit: didn't realize how old this was, sorry!

Actually that's a totally legitimate use of Contempt tokens? In addition to being pacified and letting go of Contempt, you can "vent Contempt" and do things that hinder the community.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Indie RPG darling Primetime Adventures is getting a new edition and print release through Kickstarter. $35 gets you the PDF, signed print copy, and a custom-printed deck of cards. Not bad!

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
I hate to be maddeningly vague - but I am looking for a game where players play gods and take turns building up a world on a map. I originally found it through the forums, I know - but I am coming up dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Old Man Mozz posted:

I hate to be maddeningly vague - but I am looking for a game where players play gods and take turns building up a world on a map. I originally found it through the forums, I know - but I am coming up dry

I think you're looking for Dawn of Worlds.

• Locked thread