Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sigma-X posted:

red and white are the colors with all the removal in this set. Also, if you get a crap red/white pool you're going to have a shittier deck than these.
The problem isn't so much that all the removal is in red and white, because black and green have some removal too (Grasp of Darkness/Flesh Allergy, Sylvok Replica/Slice in Twain). The problem is that Green and Black have their cards split between normal damage and infect, and infect has to be committed to completely to be a viable option.

You can play your 100% of your white and red commons/uncommons with the rest of your deck, where you can only play 75% of your green and black commons/uncommons with the rest of your deck (and that number plummets when you remove the unplayable cards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Vanilla Bison posted:

If Ball Lightning was a 10/3, I'd be pretty comfortable taking it second pick and pushing myself towards an aggressive red deck.
Not sure if you drafted during Ravnica, but would you take Glimpse the Unthinkable second pick? Milling was a very viable archetype in Rav/Rav/Rav draft, but I'd normally only take Glimpse as a finisher card in an already established mill deck. I'd be looking for more nuts and bolts cards first to make sure I was playing the Dimir deck before I use a 2nd pick on a very narrow card that doesn't go in 75+% of decks.

But if you're looking to force the archetype and there are no better picks for that deck (of which there are many) then yeah, go nuts. Last time I drafted a Putrefax I got it 5th I think.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

I know that I haven't played in the limited formats that much in this set but I'm just sick and tired of people in my local meta constantly drafting infect. It's not fun (and yes, I'm not building decks that can take infect out) and I'd much rather play constructed until Besieged appears.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Infect is an archetype in this format, and people are going to play it. If a bunch of people in the same pod are playing it, then their decks are going to be weaker so that means more wins for you. If you're sick of the same people playing infect over and over again, sit to their right and take all their picks :)

Also, why aren't you building decks that don't roll over to infect?

I don't really see how Beseiged is going to make Infect less prevalent. I doubt they'd invalidate a mechanic that is about a quarter of the format.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Part of why Scars sealed seems so swingy is that you can almost always play your bombs. Most of the bombs are colourless so it's completely painless to toss them into your deck. Even the coloured bombs are easy to support because the average sealed deck will be mostly artifacts anyway, you only need 2-3 other cards in the same colour to be playable, and in some cases less.

Compare that to M11 where you could open a Inferno Titan or Baneslayer Angel, and be forced to leave it on the sidelines because you didn't have 7 other non-awful cards in that colour.

It's too bad day 1 of a GP couldn't be draft as well, but organizing 200 draft pods would be a logistical nightmare, as well as add about 5+ hours to the day. Deck registation would be mostly useless unless you stamp 200000+ cards beforehand :v:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Karnegal posted:

It seems somewhat viable to swap pools every X rounds or something. Re-seat everyone and give them another 30 minutes after rotating pools. Then re-register. It would eat 45 minutes to an hour, but it would help reduce the effect of one pool on 9 rounds.
There's no way it'd only take 45-60 minutes. You have to print and post seats and seat everyone (20+ minutes), distribute packs and reg sheets (10+), register card pools (15+), swap (ideally 1 minute, but let's be realistic), register and collect deck lists (30+), and wait for all the stragglers between each step (like a million goddamn minutes). Also by this point side events will be happening so the venue will be busier and louder.

I don't know how viable it is, really. In Toronto I think the last round of the GP ended at 10pm, and it didn't have any major delays. Adding close to two hours to a day that's already 10-12 hours long is hellish.

I know at first blush it doesn't seem like a big deal, but there are some other things to consider when you add another sealed pool. Alone, none of these would be dealbreakers but they add up.

I'm assuming that there would be two pools, and that the swap happens after round 5 since you're expecting 9-10 rounds of sealed. If there are three sealed pools, it gets even more absurd:

There's another round where everyone can get penalized for a mis-registered deck. Giving a game loss in round 2 because a player missed a card is one thing, it's a different matter entirely in round 7. Yeah, everyone should count their loving land, but it's still a concern.

If a player drops before round 6 will they get the boosters that would have made up their next sealed pool? On day 2, if a player drops before the second draft pod starts, the judges will give them three boosters (to dissuade them from staying in the tournament for "free packs"). If the droppers get their packs then every single person that drops will need to come to the judge's table to get their packs, rather than just checking the box on the result slip and loving off (or, have the floor judges carry a million boosters on them like pack mules). If the players don't get the packs on drop, then expect a lot of 0-5s to not drop so that they still get their packs. More players = longer tournament so who knows how much time this adds.

Speaking of extra packs, the cost of entry will likely go up. I know, Magic isn't a game for poor folk but the difference between $40-$60 is significant.

Vanilla Bison posted:

Bonus: howls of inhuman rage from the guys who get pool-hosed twice in a row.

Howls of inhuman rage from players with three byes that open a busted first pool and then only get to use it for 2 rounds. :v:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chajusong posted:

Well, you won't actually be playing the white or red removal if you're choosing Phyrexia, whereas the W/R removal in Mirran is in the colours you'll be playing, so it's really more like

You can still splash most of it.

Lunael posted:

Something to play around with while waiting for tomorrow:
http://boosterme.heroku.com/choose

Naturally doesn't take print runs into account, but anyway.

I did this, picked Phyrexia, got 2 Koths in my Scars packs :ironicat:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

I mistyped. It was GB instead of GW. (My one loss was to GW Infect.)

Since I could only really go all-in Infect with the cards that I had, I went with as many guys, removal spells, and card advantage as possible. My fear with the Zenith was that it would wipe the board and I wouldn't have anything with which to finish the game off. I probably should have considered Asceticism with I went up against Mirran decks, but I focused the deck on trying to get that last point or two of poison through.

When you have a Wrath effect in your deck, you hold back creatures in your hand so that when you wrath you're killing off more of your opponent's creatures than yours.

Also, after you Wrath you could play Geth, and start resurrecting your opponent's creatures. It's a sealed deck, there's no way your curve stops before 6.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

I did this, picked Phyrexia, got 2 Koths in my Scars packs :ironicat:

Rukawa posted:

Obviously you should pick Phyrexia tomorrow.

Well, joke's on me, I picked Phyrexia and only got one Koth. :haw:

Went 5-1 with some awful tiebreaks, came in 5th.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

It allows you to swing earlier with an infect dude than any other card does.
For the sake of pedantry: Vector Asp, but I can understand why you'd forget about that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Here's a sealed thing!

The blue cards to the right are what I considered instead of the white.

Lost round 1 to Devil's Play and it was my own fault!
Won round 2 via no-show!

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 19, 2011

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

His account name is Kibler. The match is probably in his twitch archive if it was Cube from last night.

It is, starts at about 2h 45m.

http://www.twitch.tv/bmkibler/b/324734087

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Also, playing W/U, most of your removal doesn't really help (some of it only hits attackers, Pacifism doesn't help, bounce can stall, I guess Encrust would have done it but I didn't get any, and I never saw my O-Ring)

So what you're saying is: "U/W has many pieces of removal to deal with this, but I didn't draft any of it."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Uhhh, define "many".

common
Encrust, Essence Scatter, Pacifism, Unsummon. Divine Verdict, Faerie Invaders if he's dumb enough to attack with it (this may never happen).

uncommon
Courtly Provocateur (and force him to block, when he's summoning sick), Oblivion Ring, Rain of Blades, Rewind, Switcheroo

rare
Clone, Planar Cleansing, Void Stalker

quote:

I'm glad though that you're apparently such a great drafter that will always have answers to stuff like that :)

Yes, I will consider if my deck can deal with my opponents' cards, and will intentionally avoid drafting a combination of colours that are unable to interact with their bombs unless I can do something ridiculous myself. My last UW deck had at least 5 of the cards listed because I read signals showing me that the cards were available, and valued them highly so that I could deal with my opponents' cards.

What I did not do, is come into the thread crying "OMG THESE CARDS ARE BROKEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO???????????" and then get all weepy when people told me what I'm supossed to do.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Okay, out of those commons, only one actually deals with it (Encrust). The rest are not actually answers at all! Out of the uncommons, same deal. Really just Switcharoo and O-Ring. Sure there are counterspells but you should know as well as any that they are in fact, a bad solution since you're essentially holding up your own development. Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind.

Those cards are all intended to slow down my opponent's development while I play my own cards and attempt to win the game. While my opponent is playing and replaying his Krenko, I would be attacking him with my flying creatures or low cost creatures I sided in to try to overwhelm him before Krenko came online.

Yes, counterspells. Unless I'm playing a very strange build, I nearly always maindeck up to 2 Essence Scatters because 99% of the time they will be useful against my opponent. Also, the existence of Faerie Invaders mitigates the "skip your turn" drawback since you can still play it endstep.

Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind, but that is why sideboards exist. If my opponent has a bomb spell that I can't deal with once it has resolved, then I will make sure that I have spells available that can deal with them before that happens. When my options against a specific card are:

A) Play a card that is suboptimal against a broad field but good against them
or
B) Lose horrifically without ever having a chance of defeating it, and then go sobbing about it on an internet forum

I will choose A every time. Are you the type of person that says "FOG IS TERRIBLE I'D NEVER BRING IT IN" even against an Overrun-like? If so, you deserve to lose for playing in such a narrow-minded fashion.

JAMOOOL posted:

My deck was mostly flyers and clogged at the 3-spot so IMO it wasn't really worth playing. It definitely has its place (for example, in conjuction with lots of exalted, or fatties in general), but not my deck.
This is amazingly wrong. I've had great success with Provocateur in a deck where my biggest creatures were a 0/4 and a 3/3.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Rewind isn't really "good" vs. Krenko though. If I had drafted one, yes, I'd have brought it in, but it's basically a bad solution to a card that must be answered, so I don't know why you think I'd be so 'inflexible'. You only get to draft 42 cards, you know. In general you can pick up some decent general solutions but again Krenko doesn't have much of an answer besides A) Encrust/O-Ring, B) holding your development to counter it (if it's in his opening hand, it comes out before Faerie Invaders can use that mana, btw), or C) all the bad answers you mentioned, which may help if you can manage to outrace a fast red deck (and certainly not if they have Arms Dealer out).

I was not aware you "only" have 42 cards to draft, thanks for letting me know.

But keep in mind your maindeck will, on average, play 23 of those cards and that means that the other 19 can comprise options that will not be useful against all decks, but perhaps some. You can't play Magic "on rails", different decks will require different strategies/decision trees. Not every game will go perfectly but if you deny yourself options before the game even starts then you'll probably get smashed.

I'm looking at the last UW draft I did, and here are sideboard options I took in different matches:

Took out creatures, brought in 2 Negates.
Took out 2 drops, brought in a 6 and 7 drop.
Took out Divine Verdicts, brought in Hydrosurge and Safe Passage.
Sideboarded up to 49 cards (would have been more but I didn't have enough sleeves).

quote:

Anyway I'm not sure why I'm responding to such a condescending post, I didn't know we weren't allowed to post bad beat stories on this thread!

If you steadfastly refuse to listen to strategy then yes we are going to treat you like an idiot until you either Get It or gently caress Off.

When was the last time anyone ever said "Yes! I would love to hear about the time that you lost to what you perceived as variance, but was in fact your own incompetence!"? Was it never? It was probably never.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MrBling posted:

So far I quite like drafting M13. Harbor Bandit is an early favourite and its always nice to be able to pick up late game Harbor Serpents and actually play them.

Me and my friend were discussing which of the Harbor Bandit cycle was the best trying to rank the order of the Harbor Bandit cycle (Aven is easily the best) and I think it changes every week we draft a different one.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 17, 2012

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JerryLee posted:

I have no idea how I managed to draft this deck. The Skinthinner even tabled. I thought it might just be me not understanding what a good deck in this format was, but then I won the draft (not conclusive either, obviously, but still).

Likely I should have started some of the blue, the haunted cadavers weren't actually that good and I sided them and the polluters out for clone, echo tracers and lingering death in two out of my three matches. I think I was just excited to get what seemed like a completely playable mono-color deck.

This deck is pretty bonkers, even without the blue cards.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

tgijsola posted:

My deckbuilding is rusty, thoughts? Went 3-1 with this but don't think I deserved it. Lost in finals to RB.

Don't like Switcheroo? Most of your creatures are good enough you don't want to trade them, but if you're in a position where your creatures are all better than your opponents, that's a good position to be in.

With the Arbor Elfs I'd have gone down to 17 land and with Evolving Wilds I'd shave a Plains.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Augure posted:

When will release events start for M13?

Wednesday after downtime

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jet Set Jettison posted:

You should also be running ring of Thune if your in white.

In terms of cards to cut, you could probably get away with running just 1 liliana's shade. Crusader of Odric is questionable because you only have 1 captains call/token generator. She's cool and can be a monster but sometimes shes just a 1/1 for 3. And also what ultima said.
He has 4 white creatures plus Captain's Call, Ring of Thune is pretty miserable in this deck. Giving Vigilance to your non-white 2/2 is a wasted card. And you want to remove more white creatures?

11B/6W seems a bit overboard since you want to make WW for Serra and Silvercoat Lion gets increasingly worse after turn 2, and the Shade finds its own swamps so I'd probably go to 10/7 and/or cut the Lion.

Now that I think about it, you need to make room for that Essence Drain but man I don't want to cut any more creatures since control seems very poor in this format without good blockers.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Thats true about the ring, I didnt really count the amount of white creatures. Disregard my ring suggestion!

Also he could also cut a walking corpse if he wants to level off the amount of black he has in the deck. It the same thing as silvercoat.

Dunno, maybe cut dark favor? Probably not because you really want to beef your Tormented soul with it and you dont have a TON of exalted.

Why would you want to level off black? If anything, you'd want all your low drops to be the same colour so that it strains your mana less.

Yeah, Dark Favor or Kitesail was the next card I was looking at since you're starting to run out of creatures to put them on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JerryLee posted:

Requoting this because it's at the bottom of the last page and I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me how I could have built this pool to not go 0-3 drop.

Get luckier? Your first match you got manascrewed, and then didn't get one of your 4 answers to the Hydra.

The deck looks fine, you either got some bad breaks or misplayed horribly, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Gyshall posted:

I agree with all of these points except on Chronomaton. I've always hated guys you have to spend mana to make good after they hit the board. If they don't have an answer for him, he can do some serious work, but I've seen Chronomaton get blown out by random Encrusts/Naturalizes/Unsummon/etc.

Granted, he is a 1 mana dude, but still - the risk is there.

Chronomaton is really really good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Wild Defiance out, it has little to no interactions on the board.

Barter in Blood in, it has good interactions with Butcher Ghouls, Undead Executioners, Homicidal Seclusion.

I like Joint Assault because a trick is a trick, and it's nice to have a good cheap one even if you don't take advantage of the pairing bonus.

I like Grave Exchange in decks with this much removal but that is a personal preference.

I don't know have enough experience with Craterhoof to know if games go long enough for him to be relevant.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'll cut the abundant growth as well. It's just not really that impactful and I don't anticipate color screw very much.

It's not about having impact, it's about cleanly fixing your mana for almost no cost. You have enough low drops in both colours along your curve that hitting turn 1 Abundant Growth takes a lot of pressure off. Also, between Growth and Borderland Ranger I'd look at going 9G/8B as a mana base.

Abundant Growth lets you effectively play a 39 card deck since it's cheap and replaces itself. I feel that cutting it is the equivalent of playing 41 cards because you decide on the last card in your deck. 99+% of the time your deck has a "worst card". Cut that one instead.

These are my thoughts on Abundant Growth thanks for reading.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I know you think touch of eternity is good because it "saved" you, but if you had a card that could actually help you win instead of preventing you from losing, you might not have been in that situation in the first place. You won despite having it in your deck, not because of it.

Great opinion!

Now shut up and watch LSV win games in draft where he plays Touch of Eternity.

Also, I like how you suggest adding Welkin Tern, a tiny creature that can barely block, into a control deck that will likely most likely win by resolving one of its 5+ mana spells.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

rinski posted:

So I thought this was an interesting pick:

Given what I've already drafted, what do YOU guys think is the optimal pick here?

Edit: I should probably tell you guys what I did pick and why.
I took the Serra Spider. I already had two Prey Upon and didn't have a ton against fliers. I think Primal Huntbeast is good, and I was tempted to take it because he's solid and on curve, but with I just feel like Spider does more. I'm not sure if the second Packleader does enough to merit running another 5-drop. I ended up tabling the Prey Upon and didn't even end up playing it because I also wound up with another Recluse and Giant Scorpion. Also, I won the draft because I am the best at this format.

I agree with this except the last part :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Phiberoptik posted:

Help!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qs2d6b.png
(How do I link without breaking tables?)

Should I be splashing the white?

Use [timg] instead of [img]

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Andrew Cuneo is a former pro, funny and chill dude, with a good voice and an eclectic music playlist (lots of jazz and old punk). He's not that popular so you don't have a thousand idiots in his streamchat, and he usually plays Modern Melira Pod or Legacy Enchantress between drafts.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

rinski posted:

Just so you guys know, Sam Black is drafting with Jackie Lee on his stream! He just went over her draft deck from yesterday and it was super informative.

I'm just reiterating this because it was so good, and now they're doing a live draft together. Seriously, why are you reading this? Just go watch the stream!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Jet Set Jettison posted:

My favorite mindclaw shaman play is when I cast it, looked in my opponents hands and saw a forest, 2 bountiful harvests and an angel's mercy. I had to seriously decided "uuhhh which is the better spell here?"

If you have more than 7 lands, Bountiful Harvest. Otherwise, Angel's Mercy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

It wasn't the fact that lands had to be drafted, it was more that so many cards depended on having snow lands and yet it was nearly impossible to get enough snow lands to make those cards worth running.

Especially since, even with the uncommon dual snow lands, it averaged less than 1 snow land per booster. Coldsnap came out before every booster contained a basic land, Snow-Covered basics were in the regular common run and there was a 5:60 (or 1:12) chance of a common being a snow land, but there were 11 commons in a pack (less if one got replaced with a foil). That's not even considering the colour of the land so you're now playing with a bunch of colourless lands in your deck.

The other thing is that even once you get a bunch of Snow lands you still have to draft 23 spells which makes it even harder to put together a functioning deck that depends on Snow mana.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Hey, I liked Coldsnap draft! (also, first-picking snow lands is a god-awful strategy, wtf)

We did the Ice Age/Alliances/Coldsnap draft and it was wildly unbalanced - Coldsnap was by far the most powerful set there.

That's because Ice Age and Alliances were not designed for drafting.

For example, Ice Age had only 8 creatures out of 24 white commons, only one of which had more than 1 power: a Unicorn that cost WW1 with a useless ability.

Alliances had 4 creatures out of 10 white commons, again only one with more that 2 power: a 2/3 bander for WW2.

Sets weren't created for limited until Mirage.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

What A Judas, myself, and whomever else we can wrangle up on Skype are about to stream a draft on http://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers

We had a good run and then his internet pooped. I'm sure I'll be blamed for this somehow.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 13, 2012

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

What A Judas, myself, and who knows whom else are about to draft in a few minutes, this time with more internet!
http://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers

We got thrashed, I blame everyone else.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 14, 2012

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Draftooooooooooo

http://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Me and What a Judas just drafted this:

Come watch us stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers/

e: fixed the url

Haha, just drafted another, same, deck.

Well, that was fun!

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 18, 2012

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

What a Judas posted:

Ffffff I almost cancelled my stream to watch this.

Screw it, we're doing it anyway!

http://www.twitch.tv/worldforgers/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

whydirt posted:

Nope, we do 3x RtR, then 3x Gatecrash, then finally RtR, Gatecrash, Sinker

The last one is Sinker, GTC, RTR in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

LeafHouse posted:

In my experience rummaging goblin is not a card you want two of. What did your list look like?

In a deck that actually wants Rummaging Goblin (ie, NOT AN AGGRO DECK), the second Rummaging Goblin is fine. Because in that deck you want to get your Rummager as soon as possible, and if you get the second one you can just ditch it to the first.

In M12, or any other previous format in the history of Limited Magic, I've never been a situation where I said "I don't want more than 1 Merfolk Looter", and the Goblin one is only marginally worse.