Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Vanilla Bison posted:

Updated. I forgot to mention rare redrafting because it makes me rage so GODDAMN much. :argh:

I'll just mention that our local drafts redraft rares pretty much all the time, and no one has ever even suggested that we'd switch to some other system. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Whatever works for your local playgroup, I guess.

Also, I've definitely played in sanctioned drafts with rare redraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Five 8-4 Scars drafts in MTGO so far, four GB Infects, and all of them have felt pretty decent decks. Getting a bit bored of the deck though to be honest.

(still, only one final with those with the fifth currently at round 2)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Here's the draft: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=1kqfz

Was really lost in late pack 1.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah, Galvanic Blast is as nuts as removal goes in this format. The creatures are weak and most of the time you will get to value with that card.

wodin, netcat, I'll comment your drafts straight to raredraft.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Da Monk posted:

I assume you meant arc trail.

Yeah, brainfart there. Arc Trail.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

netcat posted:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=1lkj8 Here's my second lovely SOM draft, this time in 4-3-2-2 (yeah I know, but Swiss just takes so loving long). I manage to reach the finals where I lose to a ridiculously good poison deck.

Realized that there's no actually much point commenting them there when they'd be discussed here anyway.

p1p2 Definitely Precursor Golem. Barrage Ogre is good, but nowhere near the same power level the golem potentially is.

p1p3 Painsmith is sick in infect, solid in any aggressive deck, and playable more or less everywhere. Safe pick here would be on-colour Myr I think. Early myr are good Barrage Ogre fodder too after they've done their job in ramping.

p1p4 I'd definitely pick the Stag and be happy about it. You already have Scrapmelter to exploit.

p1p10 If you were thinking BR at this point, 3/2 is unexciting but definitely playable often.

p1p13 It's a solid sideboard trick I think, especially against something like poison.

p2p2 Arc Trail is better.

p2p5 Depends really what you think your deck will look like at this point. Idol is really good in aggressive deck, but Golem will just shut down a lot of opponent attacks with the first strike.

p3p4 I think it's a bit too risky, though if you have the right artifact for it the payoff is potentially good. Just too easy to waste two cards on it if your opponent can produce Revoke/Shatter/Replica etc.

p3p7 Abuna Acolyte is surprisingly good if you have handful of artifacts, or if you're facing Infect.

p3p8 Pretty much when it should go I think.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

9-0, 8-0-1 decks at GP Bochum day 1:
http://www.planetmtg.de/articles/artikel.html?id=5666

The colours:

RW
RG
BW
BWr
RW
RW
BW
RWg
BRW :barf:

Yeah, colour bias.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Setec_Astronomy posted:

This is sealed, right?

Yeah, it is. Day 2 is draft.

But seriously, not a single Island in any of the unbeaten decks.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Holy poo poo didn't draft BG Infect (also didn't make final but w/e)! Took p1p1 Grand Architect, Tower of Calamities and Mindslaver during pack 1, and rolled with that idea.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=1jzfr

Round 2 was bizarre to say the least. Opponent had at least 5 Grasp of Darkness, plus at least single Skinrender and Oxidda Scrapmelter. Definitely felt like an uphill battle. Still, would have taken game 2 if not for Chimeric Mass. Once he had expended the Scrapmelter he had, and I had stalled enough to get the Tower online, it was quite formidable obstacle.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 31, 2010

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Worth remembering though that just looking at the "unbeaten after nine rounds" out of 1810 pools can be a bit misleading. Sure, to get there you likely need to get passed something good. 7-2 was enough to make day 2 though, and there was 201 players doing that or better. Two players managed to build top 8 finish out of that minimum record.

I'm pretty sure that if we had all those decks to look at we'd see similar colour bias, but definitely more "normal" pools too.

(of course, rating byes muddle this a bit too, the top pros just need 4-2 to go day 2)

quote:

A healthier sealed deck format would show greater variety in the decks, rather than showing that very specific mixtures of cards lead to X-0 decks in the hands of good players. If there are specific mixtures of cards that are basically required to get into the top, then the people who do not open those mixtures of cards are pretty much boned.

Yeah, this. I think the sealed would be immensely helped if blue were somehow on the same power level as red and white.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 1, 2010

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Retcon posted:

Decided to try drafting on MTGO. Swiss draft, ended up making a RWU deck that lost all three matches.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=1n6eh

The draft itself went fine I think, but I feel like I should have stuck to RW.

p1p5 You already have Darksteel Axe, Bloodshot Trainee is perfect match for it.

p2p1 Nothing wrong with Revoke Existence, I'd probably jump on the Trigon. Especially had I picked the trainee.

p2p2 Shudder is not really something you want to splash for, Sylvok Replica is much better for that.

p2p4 Riddlesmith feels pretty weak splash. Revoke is just fine, Lifestaff is second best in pack.

p2p7 Censer kinda asks for really aggressive deck in general, or ways to benefit from the artifact beyond the two initial counters (throw with Barrage Ogre, refill with Stag, etc.). Gaveleer is fine pick at this point out of this.

p2p11 Completely depends on what you have to recur. Doesn't necessarily have to be even that bomby.

p3p1 Absolutely no reason to hate something when there is a card left in the pack that will make your deck considerably better.

Infect was very open in pack 1, you would have gotten better deck going for it. First two picks I likely would've done the same way, but at pick 3 I'd have taken Cystbearer despite passing the two Plague Stingers alond early. Darksteel Axe is excellent in Infect, and Scrapmelter might still be splashable if you need it.

p1p1 Darksteel Axe
p1p2 Oxidda Scrapmelter (rare missing, not anything to read)
p1p3 Cystbearer
p1p4 Plague Stinger
p1p5 Tangle Angler
p1p6 Blackcleave Goblin (generally dislike it, but would probably try to cut Infect cards heavily even if they were bad)
p1p7 Cystbearer
p2p1 Trigon of Rage

Would be already pretty solid Infect start. Pack 2 I assume you might have been cut a bit, pack 3 should be pretty good again.

--

8-4 wasn't firing in the afternoon so took a spin at 4-3-2-2 for the first time this format. Picked up two early Furnace Celebrations, went "what the heck" and tried to live the Furnace dream. Narrowly lost round 2, but the deck was fun at least. It's just that if you're packing good amount of sacrifice outlets, if you don't have Furnace Celebrations in play your card quality in general will be pretty iffy. I tried to go removal heavy anyway, had 2x Turn to Slag, Revoke Existence, Galvanic Blast, Dispense Justice, splash Replica on top of the Furnaces. Weak creatures though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Tel-Jilad Vengeance really makes for some enjoyable plays:

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

A question for you guys that have experience drafting the infect deck: How often do you take a card that's lower in the pick order in order to fill out your curve?

Depends. 3cc slot is the weak point generally, with Cystbearer being high pick and Contagious Nim the second, and the rest of the slot going to any deck anywhere more or less (Tumble Magnet, Sylvok Replica, Rusted Tick...). I generally pick Corpse Cur over Contagious Nim always, but I think I've done otherwise too on purely curve reasons when 4cc has been packed.

Overloading on 2cc doesn't worry me too much, generally I try to draft Lifestaff or two, usable Spellbombs, Fume Spitters, stuff that allows me to spend mana effectively even when dropping something 2cc later.

Edit:
Speaking of pick orders...

Picked p2p1 Contagious Nim over Steel Hellkite (with Grafted Exoskeleton already in the pile, if that matters) in the draft that Vengeance pick is. And I'm pretty confident it was the right thing to do. I reasoned that 6cc is a lot for most Infect decks, and at the point of the game where you generally drop 6cc power card I want to be well on my way to win already.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 3, 2010

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The upside of not picking up the Hellkite was pretty much that I was able to play 16 lands comfortably, a land count where I think on the play you're looking at playing 6cc card turn 9-10 on average. Generally my Infect decks end up low curve, ending at 4cc and preferably not too packed there.

The downside was, well, not having a single card that could win a game by it's own if unanswered. Can't really argue with that.

I actually boarded out Grafted Exoskeleton in two matches (for Wing Puncture, Relic Putrefaction if I remember right). I still tend to draft it and deck it in most Infect decks, but each time it feels less than it should be on the paper. In this draft, every time I had it in hand I just had better cards to play for the occasion, generally creatures or disruption like Tumble Magnet and Rust Tick. In the two matches I boarded it out artifact hate was running pretty rampant too.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So yesterday apparently was 12-? queue night:

I was sure this was MTGO bugging on me again, like it sometimes does showing cards in collection double. Relogging generally helps with the bug. But as my collection still shows tonight that I went up 12 packs from what I had after joining the queue...

MTGO sure is bugging out a ton recently. During the Scars prereleases almost every time when I got to choose whether draw or play, choosing option just grayed the button in question out but didn't advance me anywhere. Had to relog to get to see my hand. Cards disappearing from the board too, opponent had invisible Deathmantle in one draft and I had to relog to actually make it appear again.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So, ten drafts down in MTGO, 9 8-4 and 1 4-3-2-2. The breakdown of decks I've drafted is a tad boring:

5 BG
2 RW
1 UR
1 RG
1 UW

BG Infect just feels the best deck of the format in the current draft tables, as bizarrely enough it looks to be open pretty often.

I'm really, really trying to keep my eyes open for UR decks. Blue is the new green it looks like, but weak enough that you really want it to be open to jump in. And you really want to help it with some removal colour, likely red or white.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Draft a decent, not good RW in 8-4. Face very unfocused feeling BG Infect on round 1.

G1, mull to 6 lands on play, proceed to draw spells for seven turns with plenty of 3cc speedbumbs in hand. Bummer.

G2, mull to 6 again, but manage a win through opponent Contagion Engine and Contagion Clasp in play. Nice.

G3, have the opponent put down the Contagion Engine again, but this time manage to drop the game all by yourself by simply choosing the wrong play, with no one else to blame. This one hurt a fair bit.

The wrong play: eight mana open, equip and shoot with your Contagion Engined Hippogriff and Rust Tick to remove only opponent non-arrested creature on board, Corpse Cur with Grafted Exoskeleton. Let your opponent wipe your board next untap and put you on two turn clock with the Engine. Don't think I actually even had out for the Engine in the deck anymore.

The right play: lock the Contagion Engine with Tick, when opponent attack with Cur drop Darksteel Sentinel from hand to double block and hopefully trade 1 for 1. Next turn, drop Accorder's Shield and equip Tick to take it past Grasp range, and hope your 2/2 Hippogriff/Sentinel and draws manage to beat your opponents empty board, two card hand and draws.

Wouldn't have bet on myself on even odds in that race, but it's better odds than 0% I gave myself.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

If you have paper boosters to crack and are willing to do so, put yourself on a timer, open six boosters and force yourself to make a build out of the "sealed pool", preferably two or more builds.

I've really noticed that when 90% of my sealed has been on MTGO, not having that nice one-click sortable, all cards visible list, instead having pile of paper cards in hand, has at worst made me miss obvious poo poo I never would have missed in MTGO about the pool.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Scars draft trip report: draft so-so GW metalcraft, decent feeling UWr metalcraft and exit round 1 both times, then hair-trigger lock to GB Infect with glorious p1p1 Contagious Nim (was weak pack) and make final without much sweat...

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Starting to believe that it is physically impossible for Cerebral Eruption to hit land in MTGO.

Nah, joking. Probably will see the odds evening out the moment I play it for the first time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'd like to have some feedback on this: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=1xm69

I feel that I was absolutely correct in hitting Infect here. Very likely someone close downstream forced Infect, which cut my pack 2 pretty badly.

What I am less sure about is should I have tried to make some UG Infect plan work? I just have not seen that plan work at all yet, and if I feel that I should get stuff in pack 2 and 3 I'm pretty confident in staying on target.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Finally got to do this in 8-4 final this weekend:

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

If MTGO had achievements, that surely would be one for Scars!

(also, yet another Hoard-Smelter I never played during the whole draft)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Speaking of sealed, I wanted to pick up some packs so I decided to use the opportunity as practice for the next time I get to do an FNM sealed. It also gives you a chance to tell me I'm an idiot for thinking poison is the way to go in this pool. P.S. I'm lying about that, it hangs right on the border of being poison playable.

Ok, the first thing to do here is take all the blue, black, and red, and just put them aside. Double riddlesmith is nice, but not enough to warrant blue. Black is outright weak unless we want to force infect (which we don't), and Assault Strobe is worth considering as a splash.

My paper prerelease final was against BW poison with Tempered Steel boosting several Infect artifacts, but I don't really think that's reliable enough.

I think you're light enough on single, high power win condition cards that UW is the way to go here. You play both your artifact Anthem and your artifact lord with both the Riddlesmiths and aim for 14-15 artifacts minimum. I'd even splash in Sylvok Replica activation mana with single Forest and Horizon Spellbomb. Then you'd have several nice two card combos that can be pretty brutal if they stick (Soliton + Arbalest, Replica + Deathmantle).

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Bashez posted:

Did my first draft, I had a shot of going 3-0 but I misplayed game 1 like an idiot. There were 4 decks running infect.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=29x2p

p1p1 Definitely Arrest over Rust Tick.

p1p2 I would much rather open black with Grasp than red with Turn to Slag.

p1p3 Only playable Replica on second colour over Shatter to follow Turn to Slag? Even on black, I'd much rather pick Necrogen Scudder.

p2p6 Definitely Ichorclaw Myr over Tel-Jilad Fallen for me.

p3p5 Nothing wrong with Flesh Allergy.

p3p6 Again Ichorclaw over Tel-Jilad Fallen for me.

p3p8 Tel-Jilad Defiance is much more likely to make the deck.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I am really, really hoping Mirrodin Besieged and new booster opening order will freshen up things a lot, because gently caress me but I'd rather step into a triple Zendikar draft at the moment than fire up Scars one. And I don't think I've actually drafted at all in a month or so, online or paper.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So, prerelease in a week. Mirran or Phyrexian, how will you swing? Just a gut instinct choice based of flavour, or some super serious stratagem you have on which one will be the Objectively Better Choice?

I'm kinda thinking Mirran, though I'm fine either way.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

In other news, MTGO personal summary had the most interesting factoids again for a change:

Top 10 Commons Picked First by SOM 8-4 Draft Winners:

1. Galvanic Blast
2. Grasp of Darkness
3. Arrest
4. Tumble Magnet
5. Revoke Existence
6. Shatter
7. Perilous Myr
8. Sylvok Replica
9. Glint Hawk Idol
10. Cystbearer

Would have liked to have seen other rarities in the mix too, though seeing purely commons list is interesting in its own right.

Tumble Magnet is I think surprisingly high. Glint Hawk Idol and Cystbearer leading the peloton after the removal and pseudo-removal group is not very surprising.

Edit:
Chajusong, that is pretty much my reasoning too. Scars boosters are still unfortunately more likely to build towards RW deck. I'll rather pair that with the Mirran package with the current info.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Something to play around with while waiting for tomorrow:
http://boosterme.heroku.com/choose

Naturally doesn't take print runs into account, but anyway.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Dropped from our prerelease at 2-1. After two straight RW mirrors I had bile tasting in my mouth and just didn't want to play (and frankly, I'm not too sure whether I would've went 4-2 for prizes anyway with the deck).

Pool and words:

Artifacts:

Signal Pest
Copper Myr, 2 Iron Myr, 2 Gold Myr, Perilous Myr, Necropede, Snapsail Glider, Training Drone, Myr Galvanizer, Myr Propagator, Corpse Cur, Soliton, Kuldotha Forgemaster, 2 Razorfield Rhino, 3 Hexplate Golem

Accorder's Shield, Copper Carapace, Silverskin Armor, Echo Circlet, Sphere of the Suns, Viridian Claw, Heavy Arbalest, Titan Forge, Contagion Engine

Contagion Engine was the only real bomb of the pool, and it has the obvious synergy with Titan Forge which is going to the deck no matter what if only to test it out. Forgemaster was nice to see, I've been wanting to try out deck with Forgemaster and Contagion Engine. Fortunate spread of colours on the manamyr!

Green:

Carapace Forger, Tangle Mantis, Melira's Keepers, Putrefax, Alpha Tyrranax

2 Mirran Mettle, Withstand Death, Tel-Jilad Defiance

Nothing here that would make me want to play green.

Black:

Painsmith, Blistergrup, Ichor Rats, Blackcleave Goblin, Sangromancer

Almost same here. No removal, no reason to look into fitting Painsmith and Sangromancer.

Blue:

Plated Seastrider, Mirran Spy, Treasure Mage, Scrapdiver Serpent

Twisted Image, Vault Skyward, Turn Aside, Turn the Tide, Quicksilver Geyser, Volition Reins

Blue is such a shitbin even with Besieged in. Volition Reins is obviously nice but calls for fairly heavy blue commitment, Treasure Mage could fetch me the Contagion Engine... but that's it.

White:

Ardent Recruit, Leonin Skyhunter, Gore Vassal, Mirran Crusader, Kemba's Skyguard, Ghalma's Warden, 2 Loxodon Partisan

Divine Offering, Whitesun's Passage, Arrest, Frantic Salvage

Mirran Crusader is a pretty massive roadblock for straight BG Infect, there's couple of fliers and average beef. Plus a couple of removal which makes white pretty much a no-brainer.

Red:

Goblin Wardriver, Ferrovore, 2 Koth's Courier, Blade-Tribe Berserkers, Oxidda Scrapmelter, Ogre Resister, Spiraling Duelist, Kuldotha Ringleader, Scoria Elemental, Ogre Geargrabber, 3 Gnathosaur, Kuldotha Flamefiend

Shatter, Rally the Forcer, 2 Concussive Bolt

As much as I liked seeing Kuldotha Flamefiend and Oxidda Scrapmelter, I was kinda hoping for a bit more in the removal department. Not even any of those 2/1 gobbos that ping for 1 when ETB, which by the way are pretty good.

Ended up building artifact heavy RW with the couple of the Chrome-Steed-on-Steroids in. Actually managed to roll out some 9/9s in several games!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Lets Pickle posted:

Someone passed me the Consecrated Sphinx pack 1 pick 2 because he "wasn't playing blue" :rolleyes:

If he got solid card in a colour he was playing, no problem with that.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

How could he know which colors he'd be playing after only one pick?

gently caress, my mistake, read that "pack 2" for some reason. Sorry.

Yeah, the Sphinx is pretty good reason to dive into the cesspool that is Mirrodin blue.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Classic poo poo. I figure I'll never be doing enough Scars paper drafts to draft all the packs I have, and crack six for sealed pool practice. And lo behold, a pool that would have been very enjoyable to play. Sunblast Angel, Steel Hellkite, Argent Sphinx and assorted fliers comfortably splashing double Arc Trail. Bombs yes, bombs worth a drat anywhere else no.

And I'm pretty sure I jinxed myself now for the release tournament next weekend and will be opening something frighteningly bad.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I am still not too convinced about blue commons, but the blue decks I saw in release got a fairly good dose of power from the MBS power uncommons (Corrupted Conscience, Vedalken Anatomist). I'd rank Kuldotha Flamefiend above those on the uncommon cart, but that's mostly because that card is just sick.

--

Did the release tournament, had considerably more fun than in the prerelease (2-1 drop). Opened a solid, if not too bomby pool (http://pastebin.com/V6SqJRA4) and played it to 4-1 finish. Most importantly, faced pretty decent variety of decks in the winning bracket at least, which made it a lot less boring than prerelease, or pure Scars sealed.

Quickly looking at the pool:

Kuldotha Flamefiend and Mimic Vat were the only real bomby cards of the bunch. Flamefiend is sick and I always got good value for him, and while Mimic Vat takes a bit of work to go bomb all the way, it can simply break poo poo with the right imprint (like, say, Kuldotha Flamefiend!) and just absolute blast to play every time.

Red was easy shoe-in. Flamefiend plus good dose of red removal is not something to pass. Blisterstick Shaman is one MVP common, the ping most of the time has a relevant target and 2/1 ain't irrelevant body.

Did not need that much help for red plus artifacts, so had a pretty free hand in choosing secondary colour. Finally it was a toss between white and black, with Sangromancer a nice inclusion in the deck. 3/3 flier for 4 is solid, and the ability can easily break a race against damage deck.

Final deck was something like this:

code:
Creatures 13

1 Leaden Myr
1 Perilous Myr
1 Phyrexian Rager
2 Blisterstick Shaman
1 Snapsail Glider
1 Palladium Myr
1 Sangromancer
1 Dross Ripper
1 Nested Ghoul
1 Golem Artisan
1 Kuldotha Flamefiend
1 Razorfield Rhino

Other spells 11

1 Arc Trail
1 Crush
1 Galvanic Blast
1 Shatter
1 Turn to Slag
1 Contagion Clasp
1 Mimic Vat
1 Skinwing
1 Flayer Husk
1 Sylvok Lifestaff
1 Tumble Magnet

Land 16

9 Mountain
7 Swamp
Crush started on side, but seriously, in sealed I think it's maindeckable.

R1, 2-0 against BR. Opponent floods out of G1. G2 Kuldotha Phoenix with Piston Sledge is almost too much to handle, but I manage to chump some time until I draw answer for it. Irritatingly, had Mimic Vat standing in hand but simply couldn't find a spot where to play it, so the Phoenix remained a pretty massive threat looming in the grave until I manage to drop opponent to zero.

R2, 2-0 against RW. G1 goes to a damage race, and here Sangromancer does her trick. Opponent was dropping Battlesphere and blinking it with Stag, which almost gets out of hand. G2 goes to another even race, where I manage to come out on top.

R3, 2-0 against UW. Bullet dodging time. I knew opponent had both Elspeth and Consecrated Sphinx, but he kept soft, land heavy, seven card hands in both his games which I guess cost him. I could develop my board pretty strongly to midgame and aggro him out before he had chance to draw and stabilize with heavy hitters.

R4, 2-0 against BG, oddly enough 50/50 damage and poison and at 3-0. G1 opponent is stuck on four lands with Spread the Sickness in hand. G2 he pretty much hands the game to me: first blocking so that I get to Mimic Vat his Ezuri's Archers, then attacking 4/4 flier straight to the Archers with Mimic Vat mana open, and finally miscounting his double Unnatural Predation on Mirran Hydra and Flesh-Eater Imp to put me on 9 poison exactly with no-one to block lethals next turn.

R5, 0-2 against RW. G1 I get Phoenixed and Sunblasted and don't recover. G2 he plays Thopter Assembly which I remove, only to have it Hippogriffed back, and just cant compete in air even when I manage to remove the Thopter Assembly again later.

Started on the draw every time when given choice in these matches, and it felt like the right choice. I had the card advantage tools and removal to mostly grind it out early and midgame and trade favorably. Against the UW deck I would have gone from play if given choice after G1, I did some sideboarding to more aggressive direction for G2.

One event is pretty small amount to draw conclusions from, but for now it does feel like MBS did freshen up the sealed enough that I'll stomach it for some release tournaments at least.

And pretty stoked for our prep draft for our PT Paris participant tomorrow, really interested to see how new pack 1 plays out!

Edit:
Oh yeah, the kid next to me opens two Tezzeret from his MBS packs in sealed. :shobon:

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 5, 2011

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Drafted MBS - SOM - SOM today. Was a lot of fun, despite drafting a mediocre UG deck and going 1-2. Two BG Infect decks played for the top spot, given that I played against another (unfocused) BG Infect and personally picked up two Blightwidow for blocking duty, the table pool was a bit strange...

G1 I play against one of the final decks. Stoic Rebuttal his Skithiryx, which he brings back with Corpse Cur, and when I trade for the Cur and counter Skithiryx again he Morbid Plunders. Wasn't coming back from that.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

It's bad for sure, in the context that I wouldn't try drafting it because the chance for it being dead or me being forced to play sub-par equipment to to make it even semi reliable is pretty high. But still some deck every now and then will play it, hit its equipment, and if you don't have answer for what might be 4/4, flying, first strike at that point, you very well might lose to it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I will gimmick draft Shriekhorn.dec when Besieged hits MTGO for sure and there are triple Besieged release drafts

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

How high you would expect to pick this in draft? Assume redrafting rares or recording rares you opened, that is no thought for the financial value.

We had a bit of discussion about this and divided opinion in our weekend draft. One player playing it in draft final got it third pick and thought it was way late, the other playing against him wasn't as shocked and put it at about the same level with Plague Stinger - something you happily picked p1p1 in Triple Scars, but not something that is surprising to come after power rares, uncommons and grade A removal have been picked.

I kinda go with the Plague Stinger evaluation. Pros: with no GG or BB creatures you get it out early without slowing your other board development at all, and it dodges sorcery speed removal in most situations. Cons: attacking is essentially at cost of 2, and power boosting equipment is very unwieldy to use with it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

I would pick it over any infect card in the pack.

I would probably pick it after Flesh-Eater Imp, Viridian Corrupter, Phyrexian Juggernaut, of the pure Infect non-rares.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think it's huge enough beatstick for the price that I'd bet on him that early. 6 is not too slow for the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

MizuZero posted:

I believe that Divine Offering is too good for the format, especially in Sealed where you are likely to see multiples.

It's definitely a lot better in sealed than draft (less competitive Infect decks than in draft making the lifegain matter almost certainly, likely more equipment and artifacts in general). But I definitely wouldn't call it too good.

Especially when multiples in any given pool is not that common (~7% to have 2+ of specific Mirran/Phyrexian common in average MBS-SOM sealed pool, unless my spergsense is off).