Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Novus isn't available in my area and I'm literally two blocks into Burnaby from Vancouver :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Novus isn't available in my area and I'm literally two blocks into Burnaby from Vancouver :(

Novus is only available in select few fibre-optic wired high rises in the downtown core as far as I know. I wouldn't hold out any hope of seeing them even in the rest of Vancouver any time soon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So I just signed up for the Telus Optik High Speed + TV bundle, free PVR rental and XBOX 360. Since I'm paying $57 a month now to shaw for their xtreme-I (15Mbit) paying telus $60 for their 15Mbit and their basic cable seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Hope it doesn't suck! It'll be neat to use a set top box with somewhat modern looking menus and useful features for a change, though.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

priznat posted:

So I just signed up for the Telus Optik High Speed + TV bundle, free PVR rental and XBOX 360. Since I'm paying $57 a month now to shaw for their xtreme-I (15Mbit) paying telus $60 for their 15Mbit and their basic cable seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Hope it doesn't suck! It'll be neat to use a set top box with somewhat modern looking menus and useful features for a change, though.

The set top box has a much better interfaces then shaws. the only thing is dont set too many shows to record in prime internet using time or you get sub dsl speeds when doing stuff.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

priznat posted:

I did the exact same thing, except the Telus Optik High Speed Turbo, getting installed on Friday! The wife is excited about PVRing her soaps, i get another gaming system. Everyone wins!

except Shaw. Although I doubt they care about me. I just quit working for them in October as a TSR as well. You've lost me twice Shaw!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sprawl posted:

The set top box has a much better interfaces then shaws. the only thing is dont set too many shows to record in prime internet using time or you get sub dsl speeds when doing stuff.

Yah, I've heard the internet does take a hit when watching stuff. The TV channels are just a bonus really, we've been living without cable for a couple years now (thanks to shaw's ridiculous pricing and crappy service) so it'll be interesting to see what the watching patterns end up like. I'm mostly keen on it to get hockey again, I'm in a signal shadow so can't get CBCHD OTA worth a drat. Might add the sports pack on too.

They don't have Turbo in my area yet (Coquitlam) but that's something I'd be interested in upgrading to when it becomes available.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
It all depends on the DSLAM that feeds you, some of them are good for 23 meg which is fine for a couple HD streams and still get ~13 meg DSL speeds.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It looks like the NDP is now taking an interest in UBB

http://straight.com/article-369589/vancouver/ndp-attacks-crtcs-approval-usagebased-billing-internet-service

technovert
Oct 29, 2009

Shame the NDP is all but powerless in Canada. It is still good that at least some political parties are taking notice.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

univbee posted:

As someone who lives in Vancouver and is currently planning to move back to Montreal, this is a house of lies. Unless you're somehow allergic to snow and want it to be substituted for rain, which would make you insane :colbert: I've been looking at my ISP options and am considering VideoTron's $100/month 15/1 unmetered business package. Anyone know details about that?

What about the Ultimate Speed 30 ?

30 down 2 up and starting Feb 1st the cap is 125GB for $66

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's likely an election year and the Liberals will be desperate for seats, so we have to hope....

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I guess Telus is super busy or something, because I still haven't gotten a call to schedule my switch over to Optik (signed up on the 17th online). :sigh:

I called on saturday but was on hold for about 20 minutes and just hung up.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Vancouver Goons:

TekSavvy now has Cable internet service available.

http://new.teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

$39.95 and $54.95 for the two tiers of unlimited usage.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

It's likely an election year and the Liberals will be desperate for seats, so we have to hope....

I'd go vote for that reason alone, even if their other main policies included purging health care.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Health care, shmealth care. I can get all the pseudo medical advice I need online, but first I need a good internet connection :stare:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

UBB decision was rendered this morning - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-44.htm

There goes the Canadian internet!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

unknown posted:

UBB decision was rendered this morning - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-44.htm

There goes the Canadian internet!

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I think it's saying that the big telecoms can't charge excessive per-GB amounts to resellers; they can charge by the gig, but can't charge way higher than cost price like they're doing now. I'm probably wrong about this, though :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I think it's saying that the big telecoms can't charge excessive per-GB amounts to resellers; they can charge by the gig, but can't charge way higher than cost price like they're doing now. I'm probably wrong about this, though :(
It's saying they can charge resellers retail rate less fifteen percent.

So $1.70/gb into the pockets of Bell and Rogers.

The ruling also notes that the UBB usage isn't an actual cost for the big telcos (and they can change/waive the UBB fees at their leisure) but would be a direct cost to resellers impacting their services and pricing.

It doesn't change their position, but it's nice to see the CRTC actually understands how they're helping B/R/S gently caress over everyone.

less than three fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 25, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It means they can charge resellers up to 15% less than they charge their own retail customers.

So basically we're hosed. Resellers have to mark it up to cover their own costs, never mind have some kind of profit. All pricing will be similar to Bell & Rogers'.

edit: Is this saying the new rates take effect March 1st? Why am I having so much trouble comprehending the document?

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 25, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That's so frustrating, I don't know how they can get away with something that's so anti-consumer that it's downright mocking. The CRTC needs to be dismantled, we need an actual regulatory body with some strict rules about how the positions are filled. Between this and the Wind decision, they have become a tool for the telecommunication industry and completely lost sight of it's mandate.

quote:

edit: Is this saying the new rates take effect March 1st? Why am I having so much trouble comprehending the document?

Looks like March 1 2011 at the original rates until an amended tariff is approved. Basically this means the $45/60GB thing that was submitted months ago. Bell has already said its working on an amended tariff and people are assuming it's going to be the 25GB/mo one.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 25, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The joke is it says "similar service." Since they're so focused on bandwidth, it'll end up meaning that TekSavvy customers will pay as much as Bell ones for GB transferred, but at 1/10 the speed.

edit: Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Comedy

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 25, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So I heard that on the Telus Optik, while they do have the quotas they don't really enforce them because the TV stuff all comes across as data too. Do they not have the ability to determine what packets are data and what are for the tv? I would think that would be fairly trivial..

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

So I heard that on the Telus Optik, while they do have the quotas they don't really enforce them because the TV stuff all comes across as data too. Do they not have the ability to determine what packets are data and what are for the tv? I would think that would be fairly trivial..

Yeah, they can tell the difference.

I'd also take Telus' comments about not going to implement UBB charges with a grain of salt. You'll note they are fighting on the side of Bell in these CRTC decisions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

edit: Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Comedy

It's really more of a Tragedy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Yeah, they can tell the difference.

I'd also take Telus' comments about not going to implement UBB charges with a grain of salt. You'll note they are fighting on the side of Bell in these CRTC decisions.

Figures.. I wouldn't be surprised if Telus implements the overage/UBB stuff either. I'm mostly switching just because it's a better deal on a cost per month basis, especially with the $15 per service for the first year. Even for $60 after for the basic tv + high speed optik it's about the same for what I'm paying for shaw's xtreme-I now ($57).

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd love so much for the independents to rise up and create their own network but thats probably just a pipe dream. More than likely they'll just whine some more and then be crushed :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is how the next ten years will look:

A bunch of grannies will get $2000 bills because their wifi was "hacked" or they are dirty rear end pirates. CBC airs tons of fluff pieces on how granny can't afford her nursing home bill because she got charged too much, nothing happens because people still have no idea what a bit cap is or why people are getting charged a lot of money. The whole monopoly aspect will remain completely untouched.

Eventually some senator will get his wifi hacked and decide this is a serious issue, but instead of addressing the problem they'll just enact some milquetoast legislation that doesn't actually help consumers in any way, or will be some kind of "make ISPs be more lenient to customers who owe a lot of money" kind of thing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/crtc-issues-small-isps-discount-on-usage-based-billing-fees/article1882339/

The journalist that wrote this is ridiculous. The small ISPs are getting a 15% discount! The CRTC is so generous!!

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

This is how the next ten years will look:

A bunch of grannies will get $2000 bills because their wifi was "hacked" or they are dirty rear end pirates. CBC airs tons of fluff pieces on how granny can't afford her nursing home bill because she got charged too much, nothing happens because people still have no idea what a bit cap is or why people are getting charged a lot of money. The whole monopoly aspect will remain completely untouched.

Eventually some senator will get his wifi hacked and decide this is a serious issue, but instead of addressing the problem they'll just enact some milquetoast legislation that doesn't actually help consumers in any way, or will be some kind of "make ISPs be more lenient to customers who owe a lot of money" kind of thing.

The legislation will mandate the use of passwords on Wifi.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm trying to write up some layman's terms examples of this loving people over (Steam purchases, Netflix, etc.). Hopefully I'll have some good stuff tonight, I'm ready to tear rear end on this issue.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Would it be unprofessional for me to send an email out to clients explaining the issue? I want to help illustrate the issue, but I don't want to do so unprofessionally.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whimsy posted:

The legislation will mandate the use of passwords on Wifi.

Except it allows easily-cracked access points like WEP (not much choice, some devices only support WEP), which will give the Telcos leverage to say something like "no, you have a password so this is somehow your fault" even in cases of genuine hacking. It will be the same argument used against anyone who's first to use some new security system, because they are ALWAYS considered 100% secure by the company (e.g. first owners of car keys with chips often got insurance claims on stolen cars denied, even though those cars had a spare key in the glove box many drivers didn't know about, and within a year they were catching thieves that had master keys with all 15 chip variants they were using at the time).

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yay, look what's turned up on my Shaw account:

Vancouver here. Anybody else have it?

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

univbee posted:

Except it allows easily-cracked access points like WEP (not much choice, some devices only support WEP), which will give the Telcos leverage to say something like "no, you have a password so this is somehow your fault" even in cases of genuine hacking. It will be the same argument used against anyone who's first to use some new security system, because they are ALWAYS considered 100% secure by the company (e.g. first owners of car keys with chips often got insurance claims on stolen cars denied, even though those cars had a spare key in the glove box many drivers didn't know about, and within a year they were catching thieves that had master keys with all 15 chip variants they were using at the time).

GM used resistors instead of "chips". I guess that's kinda like using WEP...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Oh yay, look what's turned up on my Shaw account:

Vancouver here. Anybody else have it?

Doesn't look like I have it, is it a line under the "My Shaw Internet Services" heading? (Also GVRD)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Doesn't look like I have it, is it a line under the "My Shaw Internet Services" heading? (Also GVRD)

Yeah.

My Shaw Internet Services
Shaw's Internet Services
Your Modem Usage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yep, definitely not there. I'm not a lightweight user either with netflix and such.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Yep, definitely not there. I'm not a lightweight user either with netflix and such.

It's on mine, Vancouver proper.

I logged in to check my parents account (Abbotsford) and it's not there. I guess it's not rolled out everywhere yet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh, gently caress my rear end!

This is in Coquitlam BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol you guys are hosed