Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

DariusLikewise posted:

MTS home services are just as bad here for pricing and service wise for the most part. They raise their prices at the same time everyone else does and their fibre offerings are ludicrous($140.00 a month for 100/15). MTS is great for keeping our cell phones semi-cheap and thats about it.

I was in Brandon, where we had Westman. Gave great local competition to MTS. I was on...60/40 I think, no caps, for $70 a month, and this was 4-5 years ago now. Plus Westman actually fixed their poo poo when it broke, unlike Eastlink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

senae posted:

I'm with Eastlink in Halifax stuck on the 20/2 plan because they won't tell me what my usage is. Like, I know I probably use over 250/month, but I've got no idea how much more because their traffic monitoring tools apparently don't work if you don't have a cap.

That said, bell fiber is in my new apartment building, so I'm probably going to switch soon.

The biggest reason I even went with 20, when I was with my personal internet plan rather than the current shared one, was the absence of a cap. Internet usage caps seem to be one of the least relevant payment measures out there, in general, related to the costs of actually providing a service.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2015

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-says-big-telecoms-must-share-high-speed-networks-with-competitors-1.3163132

Looks like ISPs will now have to have agreements with third party internet providers for fiber as well now.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-says-big-telecoms-must-share-high-speed-networks-with-competitors-1.3163132

Looks like ISPs will now have to have agreements with third party internet providers for fiber as well now.

They'll probably just do what they're doing with higher tiers of cable in Ontario, price the TPIA so far out they're not remotely competitive to incumbent prices.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't see this as a bad thing and a 30% profit margin should be more than enough to keep the incumbents happy (they won't) but they'll spin what their "costs" are as high as they possibly can to pass on to Teksavvy etc to make them as uncompetitive as possible.

Either way, I'd happily pay a bit of a premium for unmetered, full speed FTH from Teksavvy and just to not have to deal with Telus.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Not mentioned in that article is the phasing out of UNE (Unbundled Network Element) lines which allows smaller ISPs to use their own DSLAMS/Phone Switches in Bell co-locations. The phase out is to start in 3+ years and there has to be 12 month notice before the cutoff date.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The disaggregated part of the ruling is some incredible dancing around the elephant in the room by the CRTC. Encourage the 3rd parties to build out their own infrastructure instead of using the Bell fibre subsidized by tax dollars? Until someone in the government grows a pair and proposes to nationalize/spin off the DSLAM/POP -> consumer part of the infrastructure the market is going to continue to be Bell and Rogers easily keeping the third parties bottled up into their 10% of the market. Very few have the capital, access, and ability to roll out last mile services and even if they did it's not something we'd want anyways. 50+ companies duplicating infrastructure is silly.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It'll be interesting to see how the disaggregation actually ends up - ahsspi port in each CO, or something like a regional datacentre linking the area COs. And then the CBB billing on top of that. I'm not even sure if Bell knows how it'll be done internally. But you know they'll offer a MPLS service linking them together, so it looks exactly the same as before, just costing another 200% than before.

UNE is really just moot now days, while it was being used in v high density situations (downtown TO), there were lots of problems with it - mostly related to servicing the circuits and gear. The advent of remotes killed that business a long time ago.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

unknown posted:

It'll be interesting to see how the disaggregation actually ends up - ahsspi port in each CO, or something like a regional datacentre linking the area COs. And then the CBB billing on top of that. I'm not even sure if Bell knows how it'll be done internally. But you know they'll offer a MPLS service linking them together, so it looks exactly the same as before, just costing another 200% than before.

UNE is really just moot now days, while it was being used in v high density situations (downtown TO), there were lots of problems with it - mostly related to servicing the circuits and gear. The advent of remotes killed that business a long time ago.

UNE is probably moot in Toronto, but in smaller cities where Bell and other big Telcos are not focusing on FTTP, it is still somewhat relevant. Fortunately for the ISP I work at we're rolling out our own fibre, but it sucks for the other smaller ISPs that do not have the capital to do so.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
In Burlington, ON:

Bell's actually still trying to sort out my profile properly. Apparently some mixups here and there. The poor tech that came over today to validate the equipment was trying all kinds of profiles and at one point had me at 125Mbit down, 1Gbit up, heh.

I'm supposed to have ~1Gbit down, 100Mbit up. Apparently it should be sorted out tomorrow, most likely.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Kachunkachunk posted:

In Burlington, ON:

Bell's actually still trying to sort out my profile properly. Apparently some mixups here and there. The poor tech that came over today to validate the equipment was trying all kinds of profiles and at one point had me at 125Mbit down, 1Gbit up, heh.

I'm supposed to have ~1Gbit down, 100Mbit up. Apparently it should be sorted out tomorrow, most likely.

Were you able to get it for anything less than the full $150/mo list price? Which area of Burlington?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

drat that'as fast. I'm in Burlington as well and I'd be torn between getting speeds like that and my pure hatred of Bell. I swore I'd never give them another dime...

Jealous regardless.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

spoof posted:

Were you able to get it for anything less than the full $150/mo list price? Which area of Burlington?

I doubt they're discounting much, especially if the development has zero traditional copper service, absolutely zero competition until the fibre sharing CRTC is forcing them to do takes effect.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Oh I don't disagree. Just wondering if they're knocking off anything for signing a contract, or any other reason.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I didn't try to get it for anything less, quite honestly. I would suspect (since we're used to lovely news here) that the Fibe promotions (3-6 months discounted or free) probably won't apply to gig, but I could be wrong. This is a fairly new condo development on Appleby and Upper Middle with FTTH.

Fibe 50/50 with the $30 unlimited addon was $129 a month so for $20 more you can get 1Gbit/100Mbit (it's always unlimited). The tech and line easily reaches 1Gbit synchronous (and probably more), but that's just not being offered. You could probably convince the tech to get that going for you but who knows if it sticks for long.

Also most/all consumer routers at the moment will not route at gigabit rates. I ended up with an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite to handle the traffic at line rate - it's $200 less than the consumer routers available but definitely more complex to set up. Mikrotik is the other brand folks head toward.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 21, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Bell has 950/100/unlimited service to my new building. Why do I get the feeling it's powered by the souls of the damned?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Bell has 950/100/unlimited service to my new building. Why do I get the feeling it's powered by the souls of the damned?

Cost: Your soul

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shumagorath posted:

If you put your head on the trunk line and listen, you can hear their screams of anguish.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is point to point wireless reliable?

We can get Bell where I am, but it's like 6 megs max and that's $70/month for unlimited. A new provider coming soon is offering 30 for around the same price.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Migishu posted:

Cost: Your soul
And control of the router, apparently. It's a condo but if they have a wireless device or want me to power-cycle it for troubleshooting it has to be in my suite, right? No way in hell am I using an all-in-one modem + router the ISP can manage. Is putting my own router in fairly straightforward?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shumagorath posted:

And control of the router, apparently. It's a condo but if they have a wireless device or want me to power-cycle it for troubleshooting it has to be in my suite, right? No way in hell am I using an all-in-one modem + router the ISP can manage. Is putting my own router in fairly straightforward?

If you have a router that supports VLAN tagging on the WAN port you don't have to use the Bell CPE. Just plug your router of choice into the Ethernet at the demark and tag the port appropriately. Of course this won't work without a bunch more hackery if you have their TV service as well, but for internet only it's straightforward.

I don't remember the VLAN off the top of my head but a quick search of the DSLreports forums should turn it up.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
This is probably the most comprehensive guide to ditching your piece of poo poo Bell hardware, includes TV setup too, if that's your thing.

http://blog.ngpixel.com/post/104449747538/how-to-bypass-bell-fibe-hub-and-use-your-own-router

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Aphrodite posted:

Is point to point wireless reliable?

We can get Bell where I am, but it's like 6 megs max and that's $70/month for unlimited. A new provider coming soon is offering 30 for around the same price.

It can be, it depends on where you are, what kind of infrastructure the provider has, and how much they oversell their network.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks to you both. I'm almost surely not going to get TV since some combination of OTA/Netflix/XBox/BD/:filez: will be more than I have time to watch already.

edit: kinda strange that the technician can only show up after dark and has to sacrifice a goat

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 27, 2015

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It's simple enough to just stick their router on the end in bridged mode - remove the PPPoE settings (put in dummy info) and enter that into your own router instead. Turn off wireless on the bridged device while you're at it, though.

You really could go directly to the OTN hardware using the posted guide and VLAN tagging, but it's potentially not really worth the effort, IMO.

The hardest part is actually sourcing a router that will successfully route at line rates. That right there is incentive to consider using the Bell-provided router unless you can source something yourself.
I could recommend an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, or a sub-$300 Mikrotik router (both for $100-130 about), or you can spend $300 on a consumer router advertised for approximately gigabit and not quite get line rates (but close to it). The upside of the consumer stuff is that they have additional applications/features and they're way easier to set up. They all for whatever reason look like freakish Lamborghini/spider/insect hybrids for some reason, though.

Lastly, don't assume you could take a router and throw Tomato, DD-WRT or whatever else on them and achieve line speed routing still - the hardware offload/acceleration functionality offered by the MIPS processor(s) is lost when going to third-party firmware, so unless you find a way to turn it back on (maybe possible on DD-WRT), you'll get ~150Mbit speeds only.

Edit: Might be more than 150, to be fair - but nowhere near 500 or a gig.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 27, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

It's simple enough to just stick their router on the end in bridged mode - remove the PPPoE settings (put in dummy info) and enter that into your own router instead. Turn off wireless on the bridged device while you're at it, though.

You really could go directly to the OTN hardware using the posted guide and VLAN tagging, but it's potentially not really worth the effort, IMO.

Unless they've fixed the new Home Hub devices, PPPoE passthrough (what you're suggesting) is a pile of poo poo, you're better off spending time and money configuring a proper router, even if you have to buy a small x86 PC or appliance.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 27, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kachunkachunk posted:

The hardest part is actually sourcing a router that will successfully route at line rates. That right there is incentive to consider using the Bell-provided router unless you can source something yourself.
I could recommend an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, or a sub-$300 Mikrotik router (both for $100-130 about), or you can spend $300 on a consumer router advertised for approximately gigabit and not quite get line rates (but close to it). The upside of the consumer stuff is that they have additional applications/features and they're way easier to set up. They all for whatever reason look like freakish Lamborghini/spider/insect hybrids for some reason, though.

Lastly, don't assume you could take a router and throw Tomato, DD-WRT or whatever else on them and achieve line speed routing still - the hardware offload/acceleration functionality offered by the MIPS processor(s) is lost when going to third-party firmware, so unless you find a way to turn it back on (maybe possible on DD-WRT), you'll get ~150Mbit speeds only.

Edit: Might be more than 150, to be fair - but nowhere near 500 or a gig.
Thanks for the extra info. I was going to get the top-end Linksys and stick with stock firmware since I've never had a bad router from them and they're not quite as far into the Dark Eldar aesthetics. I'll take a small drop in line speeds over Bell managing my router as long as the thing isn't rebooting every hour from getting overwhelmed (hello Belkin Pre-N and BitTorrent circa 2005).

I typically connect the router into a switch anyway so that rebooting it doesn't kill the LAN. Does that offload any work to give it more time for routing vs. switching?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 28, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
No matter the router it's worth a check on smallnetbuilder to see what kind of WAN throughput it's capable of. Those guys review consumer routers with a thoroughness I've never seen elsewhere

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

37th Chamber posted:

Unless they've fixed the new Home Hub devices, PPPoE passthrough (what you're suggesting) is a pile of poo poo, you're better off spending time and money configuring a proper router, even if you have to buy a small x86 PC or appliance.
Quite honestly, I've applied PPPoE passthrough on both the old Connection Hub and the Home Hub 1000 so far, and had no problems doing this with either device.
The Connection Hub had a WRT1900AC doing PPPoE through it at 50/50, and now the Home Hub 1000 at ~960 has an EdgeRouter Lite doing PPPoE through it.

In both cases, I see subscriber rates, low latency (4ms for speed tests and to whatever resolves at Google.ca), and no weird clamping/segmentation issues. I don't know what kind of problems people are apparently hitting, but if it helps, I don't have Fibe TV to worry about.

I could take a guess and suggest that something some people have failed to consider is if their device doing PPPoE for whatever reason isn't accelerating or offloading PPPoE traffic - you'll get lovely performance. But if they're going on the argument that pulling the connection hub somehow helped, it would still be more guesses on my part as to why. One would be the fact that VLAN offloading is another acceleration you have to enable, but maybe that was enabled by default for them.

Enabling offloading was a manual step I had to take on my EdgeRouter Lite (via CLI), or I would otherwise max out CPU on the router and get ~150-250 or so.

Shumagorath posted:

Thanks for the extra info. I was going to get the top-end Linksys and stick with stock firmware since I've never had a bad router from them and they're not quite as far into the Dark Eldar aesthetics. I'll take a small drop in line speeds over Bell managing my router as long as the thing isn't rebooting every hour from getting overwhelmed (hello Belkin Pre-N and BitTorrent circa 2005).

I typically connect the router into a switch anyway so that rebooting it doesn't kill the LAN. Does that offload any work to give it more time for routing vs. switching?
As it was mentioned just above, you'll definitely want to check the smallnetbuilder site. I opted against all the typical consumer routers after realizing none of them actually do wire rates in the first place, but the bigger deal was that they costed three times as much as a prosumer device (but again you lose a lot of the added perks of a high end NetGear or Linksys, etc, and need to roll your own apps elsewhere). I wouldn't really suggest going with Linksys, personally, and the smallnetbuilder pages will help show why. They also review the interfaces and features for you, so it's pretty helpful.

Edit: Also I should mention that the smallnetbuilder pages might underrate routers here and there. I don't know why or how, but I presume it's to do with them having a more fleshed out configuration (with more processing going on), than a basic new setup.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 28, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah after reviewing SNB it looks like I'm going to stick with Netgear for another generation (R7000 in particular). I've already got an older N router in the basement of a house and it gets to the top floor if I have my laptop at the right 90º angle. My phone radio is a write-off though and I ended up putting two TVs on Powerline so the Netflix quality would be more consistent.

Edit: Wait, the R7000 doesn't appear to have VLAN...? SNB's chart might just be wrong.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 28, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This KB is apparently for setting up IPTV in Malaysia and Singapore, but it does mention VLAN support: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25724

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is the Netgear R7000 one of the best to get these days? It's on sale right now where I am.

How is the 3rd party firmware support? I want something that will run tomato or ddwrt fully supported.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's up there. That one, an Asus Batman router or an Airport are usually among the recommendations.

The R7000 supports DD-WRT, but caps out at 360Mbit you happen to get faster than that.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Does the cap only apply to the routing function or is it not capable of true gigabit on the LAN?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
You guys make me all jealous. I'm in Edmonton, AB and have to pay Telus loving $120/month for 50/10/unlimited. Can we just catch up with the rest of the world on internet speeds and pricing? Please?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mantle posted:

Does the cap only apply to the routing function or is it not capable of true gigabit on the LAN?

It appears to be hardware since it only gets 450 on stock.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000

I probably should have linked that the first time.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You guys make me all jealous. I'm in Edmonton, AB and have to pay Telus loving $120/month for 50/10/unlimited. Can we just catch up with the rest of the world on internet speeds and pricing? Please?

I'm at $70 for 6/.8/Unlimited, it can get way worse.

There's a period before that 8.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What the gently caress? That site rated it as the highest WAN to LAN throughput they'd ever seen.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
any ideas what kind of routing speed you can expect on a Linksys WRT-1900AC?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

What the gently caress? That site rated it as the highest WAN to LAN throughput they'd ever seen.

I am calling bullshit on the DD-WRT wiki numbers.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Deathreaper posted:

any ideas what kind of routing speed you can expect on a Linksys WRT-1900AC?
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32393-linksys-wrt1900ac-ac1900-dual-band-wireless-router-review?showall=&start=3
Oddly higher outbound than inbound?