Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vintersorg posted:

Some mother fucker on FB, "well their plans are expensive because people make more in ontario."

What the gently caress?

I've been told this is the same reason video games in Australia are AUD $100+, despite currency parity with the United States for the last while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That explains games being $80+ in Canada; our dollar is... oh right it's worth less! So it's just because America. Gotcha.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The exchange rate is CAD $1.25 per USD.
The base price for a game in America is $60.
We're actually paying above what the exchange rate would indicate (33% more).

We're just easy to gently caress. :shobon:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Mister Macys posted:

If what we pay for internet access is any indication of this; we also absolutely love it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Now I'm paranoid that Shaw is gearing up for a Rogers sale/merger. No way Rogers lets Bell reach farther west than them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Remember it used to be Shaw in the east, and Rogers in the west. For some reason they agreed they'd both be better off by swapping territories, and now we have Shaw in the west and Rogers in the east.

(Maybe Rogers knew they'd have better collusion opportunities with Bell? :iiam:)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Don't forget McLean Hunter!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DariusLikewise posted:

Now I'm paranoid that Shaw is gearing up for a Rogers sale/merger. No way Rogers lets Bell reach farther west than them.

Rogers might not have the cash for that right now.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Rogers might not have the cash for that right now.

We can only hope that poor viewership from hockey continues to plummet for Rogers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And the Jays sucking.

gently caress them and their NHL exclusivity. I was seriously considering a Gamecenter sub until the day they bought it out.

#NeverRogers etc., etc..

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Macys posted:

We also have a tax base that supports universal healthcare and other social welfare policies. We get taken advantage of* but not all of the higher price is pure profit taking.

* We also protect our distributors and wholesalers from competition much more strongly than the U.S. does, though this is turning into net bad, not a net good, as the system fails to adapt to technology changes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I never said anything about taxes, I was talking about the base MSRP. Also there's no trade tariff for games.

Then there's the fact that games were the same price during currency parity up until 2012/13 or so...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 4, 2016

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

I never said anything about taxes, I was talking about the base MSRP. Also there's no trade tariff for games.

Then there's the fact that games were the same price during currency parity up until 2012/13 or so...

Even then it took forever for the price tag to match the exchange rate. But welp, once the dollar started tanking downwards, they were already changing well before it actually reached that level.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

This was one of the reasons I bailed on my iPhone for Android. I'm all for paying a proper exchange rate, that just makes sense. But when the dollar drops 10 cents below par and you raise app prices by 29 cents to accommodate, it's just full on gouging. poo poo like that pisses me off.
In the end it almost did reach a 29 cent difference, but at the time they didn't know it would and I had already bailed by then.

I haven't pirated a game in years thanks to Steam, but recent price trends make me consider it again.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

yellowcar posted:

We can only hope that poor viewership from hockey continues to plummet for Rogers.

it will.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want Rogers to lose so much money due to their NHL rights, they're probably the single biggest reason I am less invested in the game this season. God HNIC is awful now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, in case you haven't heard, The Government has denied Bells' appeal of the CRTCs decision to allow 3rd parties FTTH.

Even though it was Bells appeal, you can bet the big oligopoly incumbents were salivating at the thought of them succeeding.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't even really know what that means just glad bell lost, gently caress bell

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It would have effectively blocked resellers from offering fiber to the home to their customers over Bell infrastructure. That'd be really bad.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
The appeal was pretty desperate in the first place. As if the Liberal government was going to eliminate a industry regulation that the Conservative government thought was necessary.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
any ideas what bell might be doing in the middle of old north in london? the last two or three days i've see bell working across the street. once up the pole, another down underground. they went around trying to sell fibe bs a while back, but that was months ago.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Some guy claiming to be from Bell was going door-to-door here the other day, Blackfriars area in London. He was persistent, even in the face of my housemate's aggressive disinterest, but she managed to run him off before he could explain what he was trying to sell.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Some guy claiming to be from Bell was going door-to-door here the other day, Blackfriars area in London. He was persistent, even in the face of my housemate's aggressive disinterest, but she managed to run him off before he could explain what he was trying to sell.

Yeah they were pretty aggressive when they came here, asking about our problems with Rogers (basically nonexistent aside from moral dilemmas) "well that's not what your neighbors are telling me." I told him that either they were lying or he was. He got flustered for a bit and started about free. I responded positively until he admitted they weren't doing real fiber, at which point I shut the door. Definitely not a bad pleasant experience.

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
Has anyone tried Naked ADSL https://www.nakedadsl.ca/? Is there some trick to signing up with them? I signed up online and haven't heard anything from them in 3 weeks. I tried using the contact form on their site to ask about it last week and they still haven't got back to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ComputerNinja posted:

Has anyone tried Naked ADSL https://www.nakedadsl.ca/? Is there some trick to signing up with them? I signed up online and haven't heard anything from them in 3 weeks. I tried using the contact form on their site to ask about it last week and they still haven't got back to me.

No but you gotta wonder how good the service and support is gonna be if it's this much trouble.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
My wifi with Shaw drops out a lot and is generally slow. Can I fix that by turning my modem into a bridge and using a real router for wifi?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

My wifi with Shaw drops out a lot and is generally slow. Can I fix that by turning my modem into a bridge and using a real router for wifi?

Which modem and Internet plan do you have? The dual band modems can only be bridged with the 120Mbps plans, but if you have one on a lower speed plan you can swap it out for a single band WiFi modem that can be bridged.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
FWIW, I have my connection through shaw on a bridged modem because I had the exact same issue. Night and day improvement.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Coxswain Balls posted:

Which modem and Internet plan do you have? The dual band modems can only be bridged with the 120Mbps plans, but if you have one on a lower speed plan you can swap it out for a single band WiFi modem that can be bridged.

It's a Cisco dpc3825. I have a router from my old place do I'm going to try it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

It's a Cisco dpc3825. I have a router from my old place do I'm going to try it.

That one's definitely bridgable except in a few edge case scenarios, and even then there's a workaround to do so. If you give Shaw a call they should be able to give you a hand with that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

FWIW, I have my connection through shaw on a bridged modem because I had the exact same issue. Night and day improvement.

Yeah, when I was still with Rogers, the first thing I did was internet sleuthing to turn off the poo poo Wi-Fi/routing their supplied modem had.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mediaphage posted:

Yeah they were pretty aggressive when they came here, asking about our problems with Rogers (basically nonexistent aside from moral dilemmas) "well that's not what your neighbors are telling me." I told him that either they were lying or he was. He got flustered for a bit and started about free. I responded positively until he admitted they weren't doing real fiber, at which point I shut the door. Definitely not a bad pleasant experience.

I am used to that with electric and gas salespeople, but that poo poo technique is migrating to mainstream ISP now too? It amazes me they think door to door aggressive salespeople is a good idea in this day and age. I expect it from lovely re-sellers of utilities, home alarm sellers or water filtration people, but jesus christ. That's slimy as gently caress hoping to get someone that doesn't like confrontation or a senior. :psyduck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

I am used to that with electric and gas salespeople, but that poo poo technique is migrating to mainstream ISP now too? It amazes me they think door to door aggressive salespeople is a good idea in this day and age. I expect it from lovely re-sellers of utilities, home alarm sellers or water filtration people, but jesus christ. That's slimy as gently caress hoping to get someone that doesn't like confrontation or a senior. :psyduck:

I reread that quote and realize phone posting makes me sound pretty out of it.

But yeah and it seems pretty common. Really annoying, all the lies.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

slidebite posted:

A while back my grandparents let in a Telus sales rep in while I was at their place fixing their computer. He tried to convince us we weren't getting the full speed from Shaw by running speedtest.net on his phone, which was connected to Telus 4G and not my grandparent's WiFi. When I called him out on that he claimed it didn't matter because of how close his phone is to the Shaw modem. If I wasn't there my granparents might've fallen for it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hungry Computer posted:

A while back my grandparents let in a Telus sales rep in while I was at their place fixing their computer. He tried to convince us we weren't getting the full speed from Shaw by running speedtest.net on his phone, which was connected to Telus 4G and not my grandparent's WiFi. When I called him out on that he claimed it didn't matter because of how close his phone is to the Shaw modem. If I wasn't there my granparents might've fallen for it.

I had a Telus rep come to my door and tell me that Telus can't offer more than 150Mbps over fiber because the CRTC won't let them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

Evis posted:

I had a Telus rep come to my door and tell me that Telus can't offer more than 150Mbps over fiber because the CRTC won't let them.

man, it makes me so irrationally angry that this poo poo never has consequences.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So if anyone is considering going to Teksavvy out west, it might be a decent time.

http://teksavvy.com/west-is-best-ab-hp-en

Ontario/Quebec has a deal too but I think it's just waiving the activation fee or something.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

slidebite posted:

So if anyone is considering going to Teksavvy out west, it might be a decent time.

http://teksavvy.com/west-is-best-ab-hp-en

Ontario/Quebec has a deal too but I think it's just waiving the activation fee or something.

I hate that you have no idea what their actual prices are. Sure $44 a month for DSL 25 is great but then throw on another 7-27 dollars for dry loop, and suddenly a great deal is more than I'm paying now. Is there any way to get an actual price from them?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Don't forget you'll have to buy a modem outright unless you already own one that supports the service you want, so tack on another $80+ upfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

I hate that you have no idea what their actual prices are. Sure $44 a month for DSL 25 is great but then throw on another 7-27 dollars for dry loop, and suddenly a great deal is more than I'm paying now. Is there any way to get an actual price from them?

I think I called them, told them my address, and they told me what loop I was in.