Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm just going by Shaw's VOD/PPV services. They are of course much more expensive than Netflix's offering (depending on who much you watch), but you actually get new stuff. At this point Shaw gets virtually every new release the same day the DVD comes out, for $5 a pop either on VOD or PPV. They also have a fair selection for free TV shows (The Office, Cleveland Show, Family Guy, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc etc), and a wide selection of other TV shows at 99c a pop.

Kind of an aside but I have Shaw and don't get those shows for free. What kind of package are you on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

keyframe posted:

If novus is in your city I would recommend them %100 to anyone. Best company I have ever dealt with in Canada. Like when you call their tech support a person answers the phone instantly, I almost fell of my chair when it happened. I was paying $80 a month to shaw and was getting poo poo download and even worse upload speeds. I am paying $25 a month to novus for fios.

http://www.novusnow.ca/

I really wish they serviced the suburbs :(

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I don't know who's rolled into CTVGlobeMedia but I watch a lot of stuff on discovery.ca and sites like that. I always hate knowing that's eating into my cap. This stuff is probably available on Cogeco's on-demand thing but their on demand system is utter poo poo so I can't find anything useful.

Bell Canada (BCE) bought CTV apparently.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/bce-to-ask-for-a-break-on-ctv-deal/article1832093/

Funny how they'll have a lot of VOD programs to sell now...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

We need to start writing to the newspapers and complain to the CRTC about their decision. This power play is getting pretty close to monopoly capitalism.

Flood Metro and 24 Hours as well as your local papers with letters to the editors/complaints about how they're discouraging people from using the internet. This is a big step backwards, we're supposed to be promoting technology but we're making regular internet usage something only the rich can afford.

It wouldn't be inappropriate to ask for a freedom of information request on how much companies like Bell have donated to the PMO and the political parties who backed this bill. We should probably find out who their lobbyists are and which politicians they've been donating to. This all seems a bit too convenient and somebody's probably getting rich out of this.

I think that one Goon got onto CBC Marketplace about this awhile ago, maybe we can make a bigger fuss now that they've actually gone through with it. We need to ask more politicians to help us because honestly the NDP doesn't have too much sway in the Tory government, but it is election time and I'm sure they'd want the neckbeard/Netflx/YouTube/Facebook user vote. They are all trying to act young and hip so I'm sure they'd back us if we explained it to them in a way they'd understand.

e: Can someone make one of those info graphics of how many TV shows, videos, or movies you can get on Netflix, iTunes, YouTube or whatever for the bandwidth Bell provides? Make sure you account for HD content since that's what most of you guys get, I assume. People love that stuff and it'll make it simpler for people to understand how much more they'll have to pay for what they used to get.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 27, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

less than three posted:

That was me, and it was CBC National.

Ah, I was close!

Marketplace (http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/) has a "Canada's worst cellphone bill" special on every once in awhile, maybe we can convince them to have a "Canada's worst internet bill" segment too?

That and maybe start some "Save Canada's Internet" campaign where you East Coast Goons can boycott Bell?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

univbee posted:

75 gigs is Bell's highest cap.

1 hour of Netflix HD is 1885 megabytes, which means you get just under 40 hours of Netflix HD (less than 2 hours a day).

iTunes is in the same realm on a per-hour level, the bitrates are about the same on rented/purchased content. So if you bought 2 TV seasons of an hour-long show with a full season, including any CSI, House, 24 or Grey's Anatomy, your month's quota would probably be hosed. YouTube I have no idea, but it's probably similar.

For Steam games, it can be as few as three or four games, broken up as follows:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed = 25400 megs
Age of Conan (no expansions) = 27200 megs
Dragon Age Origins + Expansion = 19200 megs
FEAR 1 Collection = 17000 megs

World of Warcraft with all expansions is 23.6 GB.
There are a lot of games on Steam that are over 10 gigs (Borderlands, Alpha Protocol, DIRT 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Mass Effect 1 and 2 are the ones I currently have installed)

So for Bell's cheapest internet plan ($35.90) after the changes, you can't even buy 1 game on Steam but you can maybe watch 1 hour's worth of TV on Netflix. If you're looking at 5 megapixel pictures on Flickr, I'd guess that you can look at maybe 2000 pictures at best for the month and nothing else. For $36 a month you can check your e-mail, wow.

edit: If you buy a game on Steam during a sale, you'll pay maybe $5-10 for the game and then about $24 in overage fees on the "essential plus" plan.

edit2: I just checked my parent's router logs and for them just using YouTube, reading news, and e-mailing this was their usage:

2011-01-26 1.32 GB 0.38 GB 1.70 GB

That's download, upload, total.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 27, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Do people watch George Strombo still?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rUsRCyS6PU

He made a nice plea last night apparently.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Someone on TB needs to start relating the usage caps to Egypt turning off the internet. That should scare the PMO enough to talk about this deal. As I see it, we can say they're trying to control how we use the internet.

They turned off Egypt's internet to keep them from going on Facebook and Twitter, here they're making it overly expensive so that we stop using services like Netflix and iTunes. At least the Egypt thing wasn't directly about profits.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing.html

It's always fun reading the comments on the CBC.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

orange lime posted:

How about this statistic, from the very first comment on the CBC page?

$2 for one gigabyte of data
- or -
$2 for 13 text messages (2.03kB if all the characters are used)

"tell me they aren't just pulling these numbers out of their rear end."

All goes over the same pipes from the same providers.

[e] I wonder if it's even possible to calculate how little a single text message (160 bytes) costs to send, when the telcos charge you 15 cents each? One thing at a time though.

$0.20 each text message if you're on Rogers/Fido :colbert:

edit:

Reverse internet billing decision, Liberals say!!

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 1, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

less than three posted:

Well somebody was angry with me posing a link to that Vancouver Sun article to my Facebook.

That "neighbor is slowing down my internet" comment doesn't apply to DSL :colbert:

quote:

profit to sustain themselves, give back to the community, continue to inovate, etc

LOL. They guy who can't spell innovate believes that the telcos are going to use our money to improve their system rather than line their pockets. Glorious. And dammit, don't compare bandwidth with food. Did he even read the petition to the CRTC first?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

8ender posted:

George Burger is pretty good at this, and he has a much different style than Mirko. While Bibic has that slick super-executive vibe Burger comes across as a honest, grizzled industry veteran who may or may not smell faintly of whisky. I think Burger wins for everyman appeal and it was a brilliant move for Teksavvy to take him on, especially since Teksavvy's CEO, Rocky, comes across like a Truck Driver.

<3 George Burger

Can we call him... the Burger King?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

When TekSavvy says they provide 6M on DSL download, is that 6Mbps? My Telus connection is 15Mbps right now and I'm a little concerned about switching to Cable as my speed is pretty consistent with DSL.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Did anyone else's Telus bill go up this month?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Sprawl posted:

Yea it looks like they did something loving shady as poo poo.

They upped the month charges for Optik high speed services $2 and added a back dated charge for last month on this months bill and did a $3 charge for their "essentials" optik tv charge.

I don't even have Optik TV, they charged me an extra $1.30+ and then my bill did look higher too. I usually only pay ~$80/month for homephone and 15MB/1MB (which really only gets 12/0.4..) but this month it was ~$85.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Sprawl posted:

Login you the telus.com website and look at your current bill internet price.

see if there is a charge like that and then click up top and click previous bill and see if the base price for the service is different.

Apparently I don't have an account on their website, the extra dollar and change was added on to last months cycle like yours though. I'll try to check the site later but, from my bill, it looks like they did charge me $3-4 more. Wonderful.

No mention of bandwidth overuse either and my router still reports us as being under the quota.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

BGrifter posted:

His replacement has an interesting Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Paradis

This is not good.

"Togneri is alleged to have interfered with at least four access-to-information requests while working for Paradis.[3][4]"

Now I see who's messing with ATIP. Maybe we should get the PM some man sized safes?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

A little off topic but, hey drakkus, are you @shawinfo?

I hope Telus brings Turbo 15 back up to 250GB because of this.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Apparently Telus DSL got cheaper but I'm still on the old price.

I pay about $86/mo now after they added the new mystery fee and for what I have now it only comes to around $76/mo after taxes!

You guys might want to check your bill if you have the following:
- Home phone (Call ID only, cheapest long distance offer)
- High Speed Turbo 15

That comes to $68 before HST and $76.16 after. I guess I can't blame them for not telling me they're making an extra $10/mo from me.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Argas posted:

Looks like Telus doubled their caps for all their plans.

Funny, they halved the caps in December/January. So effectively... they've done nothing!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Why did Rogers and Shaw swap territory anyway?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Please tell TekSavvy to get 25MB DSL in BC. Telus keeps messing with the plans.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So my Telus DSL went from 15Mbps to 1.5Mbps. I called tech support and they don't seem to know what's wrong. He said he was going to send me a new SpeedTouch modem because the firmware is updated or something.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

drcru posted:

So my Telus DSL went from 15Mbps to 1.5Mbps. I called tech support and they don't seem to know what's wrong. He said he was going to send me a new SpeedTouch modem because the firmware is updated or something.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Okay, I'm guessing my profile synced up by itself or someone fixed it at Telus. It's working again at normal speed. Still no clue what the hell happened...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh god, Telus seems to have added me to their marketing list and keep calling everyday. How do I get them to stop?

The number is 604-310-2255.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

That's the Telus number, not mine. I am on the DNCL, I pick up and they just hang up.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

There wasn't a Cable/Digital TV thread so I guess I'll put this here.

Just got a letter from Shaw telling me they'll give me a new digital box to replace my DCT 2000. Anyone hear anything about this? I want to know what they'll be replacing it with.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Sprawl posted:

Ah as far as i can tell a dct2000 is just a viewier no recording so it would likely be their default one which is a dct 700

I just looked it up too :( No more SVideo I guess. I wonder if this is because my DCT 2000 shows movies at $0.00?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Anyone else in BC having some DNS/e-mail/page loading time issues with Telus?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Toanek posted:

Yes, apparently it's on their end. Don't try restarting your modem right now because the device registration server is down too.

Yeah, I had to change the MAC address back to the previous one which was annoying :(

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Twiin posted:

Okay. Well, when you spend three hours on the phone trying to reach someone

This was Telus in BC on Monday. It happens a few times a year.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

that was standard protocol with Telus. The battery on my cordless would die before I'd get through to them.

I just tweet my complaints to Telus and Shaw now, it's way faster. Except Telus now just keeps trying to pass it off to phone support.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I haven't been with Telus since I got my balls back in '05, and decided it was worth it to get a Roger's prepaid phone and ditch my landline. Never again.

That's cool, I don't think I'd ever give up my landline though. I wouldn't switch to Shaw's VOIP either since they love having outages.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

So it seems that instead of building a cellular network, SHAW has decided to blanket cities in WIFI

http://shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Media/Press_Releases/Shaw_To_Build_Broadband_Wireless_Network_September%201_2011.pdf

e: if this means that I will get wifi everywhere I go, it will mean essentially unlimited data on my smartphone. That's something I can get behind.

Did that say it was only for Alberta or is Vancouver going to get in on this?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

less than three posted:

Thank you for that, but it's a cancellation request that can't be dealt with over Twitter. Though credit to the call back system, it said 2 hours and actually did call me back around 2 hours later.

With Shaw's unwillingness to mention that I could get the same service for ~$140 with the new Plan Personalizer(tm) compared to $160 currently my decision is pretty much made. (The 140 being no discount, just standard pricing.)

I'm going to call again tomorrow though, to either set cancellation or switch to the above mentioned rate. Else my parents will finally switch to Telus. (As I'd been suggesting, but they'd rather keep paying $20/more per month than have Telus in their house for 6 hours switching everything over to Optik. :suicide:)

Of course, this is nothing against you as a Shaw CSR, but really their residential CSR service is so abysmal I'd switch even if it means paying more to Telus.

The new Shaw Personalizer(tm) will give you less channels for the same price of the original digital plan! What value!!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Have him buy his own domain name, run it though google apps (50/yr). Best solution.

You don't even have to pay the $50 if you get Google Apps Free!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

quaint bucket posted:

So much for Telus superiority. :smugdog:

Is it really that easy for someone to reach the 150gb cap? For the person that use it for some streaming and casual Internet use that is.

My dad uses about 2-5GB a day and he doesn't :filez:.

He just reads newspapers, watches HD Youtube, and the news. If I got him Netflix (which a lot of people have), it'd be way over 150GB/month. Telus is basically just giving you the "bare minimum" internet experience for that cap.

They seem to alternate their bandwidth caps yearly, I don't know why.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I love how competition in Canada means every company has the same prices and packages with minor variations on the naming convention. It's gas stations all over again. I think the only company I feel like I've gotten fair deal from in the past few years is Wind and they got such a hard time from regulators and Canadian competitors that the CEO was quoted as saying he wished they had never bothered.

God save the duoploies :canada:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I've been voicing my displeasure with Telus over Twitter about their new "more for less pricing scheme" and this is what they're saying:

"...In no way is this punishing. It will be used to better manage our network performance Usage caps are an industry standard. TELUS’ caps are as well the most generous in the industry, twice those of many other ISPs. We do understand where you are coming from, but this will ensure a better infrastructure for all."

Yes, the industry of 2 companies. Thanks CRTC.

I started CC'ing one of those CTV news "problem solvers" when Telus got super defensive. Join in on the fun and message @TELUSsupport and @Telus about their wonderful prices. Be sure to CC your local "problem solver" news personality for added fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Tagra posted:

I don't suppose there's anywhere else we can complain that will make any difference? I don't think the BBB really cares about poo poo like this. Telus keeps sending messages saying we should complain to the CRTC if we're unhappy but I wonder what other options we have to stop being passive Canadians and let them know we're sick of this poo poo.

Maybe a riot :v:

Hopefully we can shame them into at least letting us keep our old caps.