Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Godinster posted:

I'm really glad I have Shaw out west here. I went through a TB at least last month and haven't heard so much as a peep out of them. I always go over their limits and have not heard of anyone else having issues either.

Shaw's limits seem to be extremely area dependent.

4 or 5 years ago when I had Shaw in the New West/Burnaby area they sent me a warning letter for downloading too much in a month. I think our cap was 60gb at the time. Then a few months later they actually shut down our service for a week. When I called them up they said we had downloaded about 120gb in the last month and even the highest end plan they had only allowed 100gb so there was nothing they could do and the suspension could not be lifted even by upgrading to a higher plan. That's when I cancelled and went to Telus.

I'm back on Shaw now that I don't have a roommate who downloads all day every day and I live in a different area. Haven't had any problems or warnings from Shaw since signing up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember hearing about a city in the US that tried to implement a municipal non-profit ISP, only to get brutally attacked by every nearby private ISP. Have there been any attempts in Canada for towns or cities to start their own internet services, or is the law rigged to forbid it?

My uncle was the mayor of a small town in south-east BC. He said they couldn't convince shaw or telus to run highspeed into the town so they managed to get a grant from the (provincial? federal?) government specifically meant to be used by small towns to get high speed internet. They got everything together to set up town-wide free wireless broadband and then suddenly Shaw decided to run high speed into the town. They held a town meeting or mini-referendum and opted to go ahead with the wireless anyway. So now residents of the town all get free wireless broadband with the option of having cable service installed if they want.

Doesn't sound quite as bad as that town in the US that got sued :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Some guy started maintaining a list of what they are adding to netflix canada. They do add new things almost every day. Not the best things mind you...
http://app.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

I too signed up for a trial and just got depressed when I checked through the genre for things that are typically hilarious bad movies that I enjoy such as Kung Fu movies or whatever. Hardly any selection in Canada and the one site I used would also return results from the american netflix and just seeing the HUNDREDS of hilarious looking cheesy movies available there that I couldn't watch up here made me sad enough to cancel my account and wait a few years until their selection fills out.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 18, 2010

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

less than three posted:

I'm not sure how reliable this tip is, picked it up off DSLReports.

Telus is trying to capitalise on this fiasco with Shaw and is offering Optik TV/Phone/Internet for $15 each for one year. (So $45 for the three.)

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow about it.

I just called them. I didn't have to mention the promo code at all or anything. so it would be $45 per month for a year and it comes with the basic packages of each. They also have another promo going on for the TV that would give you the "your pick HD" combo for $45 per month for the first six months and it is combinable with the $15 other services.

So for $75/month you would get Optik internet + hd cable + basic phone

After 6 months it would go up to $115 I guess then after a year $133

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

It's a twisty turvy world I live in when Telus is being made out to be the good guy. That being said Shaw would have to gently caress up much more colossally than they already have to make me ever consider Telus services. Besides it's only a matter of time before Telus announces that it's "brining our prices in line with industry standards..."

Maybe in ten years the technology will be sufficiently advanced to reliably deliver all my content wirelessly and unlimited by Mobilicity or Wind.

Yeah, I couldn't bring myself to actually switch to Telus after giving it a little thought. The number of times they have screwed me in the past far out weighs anything shaw has done to me (so far).

Too bad Wind mobile caps your speeds if you exceed 5gb/month (if you are in a high usage area) or something.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Novus isn't available in my area and I'm literally two blocks into Burnaby from Vancouver :(

Novus is only available in select few fibre-optic wired high rises in the downtown core as far as I know. I wouldn't hold out any hope of seeing them even in the rest of Vancouver any time soon.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm in Port Moody and I don't have it yet either.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah it is the host. It could not have played out better. He came off as the whiny corporate dickhead who is only motivated by greed and that's exactly what people needed to see. "MY CAPITAL!!! ". Yep, exactly what this whole exercise has been about.

edit: missed this last page "also, The Gunslinger, a fellow niagara-West-Glanbrookian/ gunslinger fan? city/town? Pelham here" - Grimsby :)

Isn't that guy that Burger was arguing with one of the "Dragons" on that Dragon's Den show? All of those people are super greedy capitalists so his attitude should come as no surprise.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Isizzlehorn posted:

figures the telco's would be trying to gently caress with 'em.

Funny thing is that it isn't even the big telcos doing this. It's the minor player "Public Mobile" who brought the suit.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Joink posted:

Shaw or Telus are my only options here in Nanaimo :(

Teksavvy resells shaw and telus connections at a discount, have you checked the web site to see if they can hook you up? When I entered my postal code in Port Moody it said no service but then I realized that in the top right corner it had Ontario selected, once I changed it to BC it detected my postal code as having service through them with no problems.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
From the sounds of that they say the solution is to turn off "peer to peer" in the options which to me indicates they are just throttling bit torrent not game itself. Any actual game lag would be just rogers being lovely I assume.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ub posted:

Just logged on to Shaw's Customer Center and noticed that their data usage page is no longer linked for me. I have the link cached and the page still exists but shows no data. I'd been keeping an eye on what it thinks my usage has been and I know it's been way off, showing less than half what my usage this month has been.

So weird. I was JUST looking at it this weekend then a coworker said today he couldn't see it on his profile page and it seems to be gone from mine too now.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

kuddles posted:

Well, cancelled with Rogers and transferring over to Teksavvy Cable on June 10th. I'm hoping the service is good because while in the long run it's certainly going to be cheaper, buying a new modem and router will be quite the sting if I end up dissatisfied.

I will slightly miss the addictive 25 Mbps speed (nothing sweeter than renting an HD movie off PSN and the entire thing being downloaded about half an hour later), but I certainly won't miss the pain of constantly checking my usage meter to see if I can "afford" to download something, lest I get a surprise overage charge at $1.50 per gig at the end of the month.

The Rogers lady asked why I was leaving and I just said "leaving for a 3rd party provider without stringent caps and punitive fees". She didn't seem to bother trying any retention tactics on me after that.
Double check your teksavvy speeds. Out in BC on shaw they just bumped the 15mbps plan up to 25mbps and that affected Teksavvy too. So, same prices but faster for everyone, woo!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Who says they aren't? :ninja:

j/k My Teksavvy cable gets hooked up on Saturday and I'm picking up my modem tonight :D

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

8ender posted:

because :canada: telecoms are horrible and wont let teksavvy have more

Shaw bumped their former 15/1mbps service up to 25/2.5mbps and apparently that applies to teksavvy as well. I just switched to them last week and my upload is around there (2ish mbps). Though my download speed so far is significantly slower than it was with shaw for some reason. It seems to have gone from 17-20mbps down to about 11-13mbps. Not sure why that would be.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hmm looking at the Shaw 100mbps prices is quite tempting since I already have cable.

But now I've realized that my wrt54gl can only do about 50mbps down. Any suggestions for a router that supports 250mbps (for future proofing) down and also works with ddwrt or tomato?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Wireless or wired?

Ideally it would have some sort of wifi but speed is not important on that part. All the actual PC's are wired. We'd just use wifi for phones and the laptop for light surfing duties.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Any generic gigabit router would work then just make sure the wires in the wall are gigabit.

Well, I was hoping for one that could run dd-wrt since it's usually pretty stable as opposed to a lot of off the shelf routers. I see this site keeps track of throughput speeds of some routers: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

I was hoping someone might know one off hand that used dd-wrt rather than me having to check each one against the supported list :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
If anyone else was planning on going for 100mbps+ I did a little research last night and settled on getting the Netgear WNDR3700. Apparently it's pretty decent and is supported by DD-WRT. Plus it's on sale this week at NCIX :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Interesting, I hadn't considered that a router would have a maximum throughput. Maybe it's time to retire the WRT54GL. Ncix has the WRT400N on for $100 right now.

Hmm, there's a review up of that:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...router-reviewed

It shows it only supporting 200 max connections? That kinda sucks for torrents. Also the throughput is apparently 98mbps which would be pretty much maxing out the router if you got one of those new shaw connections. Maybe it's better if you put DD-WRT on it or something?

That Netgear WNDR3700 seems pretty nice and it's $120 at ncix this week.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TrueChaos posted:

I have a netgear 3700, and its peen pretty easy to use, all things considered. I don't know what speeds are like, can anyone point me in the direction of some kind of test program? I'd love to have something to benchmark it with.

That one router review site talks about how they do it here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/26563-how-we-test-hardware-routers-

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

the dd-wrt wiki claims 300Mbps for the WRT400N, but I have no idea how they got that number. I'd probably trust your link.

Oh, the other thing is that apparently DOCSIS 3.0 modems won't do "channel bonding" if you connect them to a 10/100 port on your router. That means they won't go full speed unless they are connected to a 10/100/1000 WAN port I think.

vvv Future netgear buddies :):hf::) vvv

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 10, 2011

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Stanley Pain posted:

Channel bonding happens on the CMTS and Edge Card, it should have 0 to do with your home equipment.

edit: outside of your cable modem that is.

I was reading on the dslreports forum that for some reason a lot of docsis 3.0 modems will refuse to enable channel bonding unless they are connected to a gigabit device. There was mention of the lights changing to a different colour to indicate this and such. I have no idea why that would be though, other than a lot of 10/100 routers not supporting a full 100mbps of throughput.

Maybe it's BS. I saw the discussion here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25918311-So-do-I-need-a-gigabit-router-for-100Mbps-

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Has there been any word on whether Teksavvy will be offering any higher speed plans like what Shaw is coming out with? I just switched to Teksavvy recently but I'm being tempted to go back to Shaw with the promises of 100Mbps internet for only slightly more than what I pay now (since I already have cable).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

YggiDee posted:

Thanks, it looks like I'm SOL for my city.

Make sure to pick the right province in the top right. Annoyingly it seems to default to Ontario and the site won't find postal codes outside of that area for some reason. You'd think they could use the postal code to determine your region but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Yea no its fine. You can record 2 hd tv shows 1 sd channel and still have about 10mbit left over for internet, atleast thats what i have here on on that plan.

If I remember correctly each active HD channel you watch knocks 5mbit off your speed. If you are in a location that allows up to 15mbit then you could watch 2 HD channels and still have 5mbit left to download.

I've also heard of people being in areas that allow 25mbit but their internet was set to max out at 15mbit and they were able to watch 2 HD channels without it affecting their internet (since they had that spare overhead that the line would use).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Stanley Pain posted:

For anyone who's gotten the WNDR3700 I can't really recommend dd-wrt or OpenWRT. I found them to be MUCH less stable than the stock firmware. Could just be my router YMMV.

I haven't had any stability issues (yet) after hooking mine up yesterday but I did see a bunch of threads on the DD-WRT forum with people complaining about broken features such as dynamic dns updates, QoS and a few other things. I guess it'll stabilize over time but stock firmware is probably best for now.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Stanley Pain posted:

With OpenWRT it would run fine for 3-4 days. Then WIFI would magically stop working. No clients could connect and reseting the router, removing/re-adding the interfaces, etc wouldn't fix it. Then DHCP would randomly stop working, so on and so forth.

There's definitely some bugs to work out in those builds, which is a shame because I liked some of the extra features I can install with the *WRT builds.

Steps to revert back to stock firmware, so I can find this when I get home tonight:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Squibbles posted:

Steps to revert back to stock firmware, so I can find this when I get home tonight:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802

Sure enough, didn't get back to reverting my firmware last night and now my wife reports the wireless is not working this morning. Weee

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm not sure about the inner workings but Teksavvy claimed that my Shaw internet would stop working at some point on the connection day and then I should switch over to my new Teksavvy modem. Around 11PM on the day rolled around and the Shaw connection was still working so I decided to hook up the Teksavvy modem and see what would happen. Surprisingly it worked no problem and I assume the Shaw one would have worked as well if I had switched back. When I called Shaw to cancel they told me that they wouldn't cancel my internet service until I came in to their office and dropped off my modem which I didn't do for about a week or something.

Maybe I was an odd case because I still have Shaw for cable or something but it seems like you should be able to get Teksavvy set up and then cancel Shaw at that point. The danger I guess is that if you cancel with Shaw I've heard of them sending a tech to the junction box and disconnecting everything to your place which would shut off Teksavvy as well.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just saw an update on the arstechnica article re: shaw's VOD offering. Apparently they've now clarified via twitter that if you use VOD on your computer/phone etc it will count against your cap, it's only if you watch it on your TV through your cable box that it won't count.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Teksavvy uses the same line as shaw so the speeds should be identical in theory.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

Ahh, that plan isn't on their website. Maybe I'll fire off an email and see if they'll match Shaw's offer.

Make sure to change your province in the top right corner of the teksavvy page. Otherwise you are looking at the Ontario plans.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Twiin posted:

I am seriously regretting my TekSavvy choice. I've waited on hold for an hour twice this week, I've never gotten a call back from them, and I'm not at the speed I'm paying for. Buyer beware.

Weird, I called them a few times last month and never had to wait all that long on hold, maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Maybe it's because I'm out west and was calling in the evening, aka middle of the night back east.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Naes posted:

Currently I am not at home to check but I do believe I have that information. I dont spend a lot of time staring at my old cable modems but from what I can remember there is a sticker with lots of numbers on it. I will obviously check this evening when I get home. I have a box for the modem and everything though. There is a sticker on the box which for sure has the serial number on it and other information. Not sure about mac address.

Is it possible modems are "locked" to a network? or is it just that the mac address of a modem has to be registered with a service provider for it to work? Does anyone know would Teksavvy charge to setup this modem on their network? or is that all part of the "installation" cost?

I know that at least one of the Telus dsl modem that I have had uses customized firmware and the user is locked out of the lower level configuration so it would probably be hard or impossible to use on another network. If your modem is just a regular motorola cable modem though it should be fine. There's a list of models that Teksavvy officially supports on their site.

Teksavvy charges a setup fee and there's a discount if you buy your modem through them so using your own modem you would have to pay the full fee but that's still cheaper than paying the discounted fee + cost of a modem.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I just signed up for Shaw's 100mbps/500gig package.

Wow is Shaw ever busy right now. I tried calling them a few times last night only to be hit with an "all circuits are busy" message so I couldn't even get as far as to get on hold to talk to a sales agent.

Then I tried again early this morning and got through but the sales department wasn't open yet. I tried again a little after 8:00am and got 'all circuits are busy' again a few times but finally got through after about 4 or 5 tries. Fortunately they had a call back option and they actually did call me back about 20 minutes later. They are mailing my modem to me tomorrow or Monday so I should have it mid-next week, yay!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Vintersorg posted:

I might look into that setup, I loving love Shaw. Always will stand by them.

Since I already have my cable and phone through them it's not even that bad.

$100 for cable + phone + 50mbps
+$10 for 100mbps
+$10 for the movie pack so I can get AMC for breaking bad
+$10 for the sports pack so I can watch the canucks

It's another $10 if you want a 750gig cap instead of 500. There's also an unlimited option but it's quite expensive. Also I think next year they are rolling out 250mbps :aaa:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

blah_blah posted:

I think you can get HD plus for $16 instead and get all those channels and more.

HD plus is what I have right now but that isn't an option on their newer offering as far as I know.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Drakkus posted:

Actually, the 'old' TV packages are still available, so you can get Basic Cable + HD Plus if you want. They're just not listed on the website.

Yeah but I am pretty sure it's more expensive (or not possible) to combine the old packages with 100mbps internet.

edit: looks like you can but, I was paying about $77 before for cable+phone and 100mbps costs $69+tax so the total comes to about $155. Now I'll be paying about $145 after tax so it is slightly cheaper at the expense of some channels I never watched anyway.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Bonzo posted:

Elizabeth May is going to loose her poo poo over this.

I had visions of her face melting off lost ark style when you posted this.