Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Bell did the same dick move to me - as they were fixing the week-long outage that affected my entire block (all but one of the residents were Rogers folks, unfortunately).

As much as I hate Apple, I'm genuinely surprised they haven't opened their considerably big mouth on the issue - especially since they have the mobile market by the shorthairs. I'd never buy a TV season off iTunes for the bandwidth reason specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I am so goddamn sick of the CRTC. The Bell lawyers gave them a hokey 'series of tubes' snowjob and the dottering old fossils bought it hook line and sinker. The CTRC has effectively ruled it is now 1998 again. What the gently caress are they going to do for an encore, let them charge different rates for ones than zeros?

Why the haven't the big digital delivery companies weighed in on this bullshit? Apple usually jumps at a chance to mind somebody else's business.

gently caress it, I'm looking for jobs in the States.

Edit:

mwarkentin posted:

Well, this is one way to get around this issue: http://www.crtcrazy.com/

This actually looks like a good idea, and that is the saddest thing I've heard all week.

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 1, 2011

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
It was nice to see that they picked the slimiest investor they could find to go up against George Berger. I really hope this generates the usage-based backlash I've been looking forward to for the past few years.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

cowofwar posted:

Here I made you guys something.

This right here made my night.

I've been debating getting Teksavvy cable, but I really can't justify the startup cost (you need to buy your own modem). Not until I graduate, at least.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Shumagorath posted:

I just got a voicemail from the president's office at Rogers. Apparently they took notice of my crank e-mail where I threatened to pull all my family's TVs and cellphones (easily $500/mo) if they imposed UBB on cable wholesalers.

They're going to call back, so this should be really interesting.

Please, for the love of God, tell me you have the ability to record phone calls.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Congestion is a nonissue. Technology currently exists to eliminate it and Bell can afford to make the necessary upgrades. Congestion is entirely, one hundred percent, Bell's problem to deal with. If people cannot place a phone call because the network is too busy, you add more towers and upgrade the network. You don't piss and moan that people are talking too much.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Oh man, did anyone just see the 'Part of our Gouge-Based Heritage' commercial on Rick Mercer?

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
It was fantastic. Starts off with a boss admonishing an employee for using too much Morse code. Rick Mercer will probably win more people over than any cogent facts or insightful news article.

It'll go up on the CBC site later tomorrow, where you can stream it like a HORRIBLE HEAVY USER WHO DESERVES TO BE PUNISHED!

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
What the hell service is that? Neighboursnet?

Cancellation fees are a bastard to get out of. It's a pain in the rear end to do unless Rogers decides to change their billing terms or license agreements.

You can get out of it, but only if you harp constantly to managers in the cancellation department that they fail to deliver on the terms of their contract, which is easier said then done. You can shove speedtest reports at them that show the connection speed is slower than the speed you signed up for, but that might just get you the next-highest tier of service at no cost. Or they might just tell you to gently caress off.

You'd have to be that rear end in a top hat that calls every day and bitches out a manager for half an hour before they'd consider cutting you loose at no charge.

Ninja edit: If you're only three weeks in, you might be able to whine your way out of it. Just don't tell them the reason you're quitting is because of a better deal. Make something up that'll convince them they're not going to get a bill payment out of you.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

kuddles posted:

It's available on the CBC website now. Warning: It's streaming video so maybe you shouldn't watch it after all, you bandwidth hogs.

youtube link
Less bandwidth, plus transcribed audio, which is always comedy gold.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Armor-Piercing posted:

(Hughesnet has this weird thing where sites think I'm using a proxy and that I live in the US, hence the distance)

This and a 500 mb rolling 24-hour bandwidth limit. Rural life at its finest.
Wow, and I thought I'd have the shittiest connection here.

Though keep in mind my test server is probably about ten klicks away.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I can understand the CRTC's mandate to limit foreign influence on our broadcasts, but I've never understood why this extended to the infrastructure as well. In terms of service providers, outside companies mean fair competition.

Also, the CRTC is the only government institution I know of that still uses the term 'foreigners'.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I guess the Netflix thing is the CRTC's apologetic handjob to Big Broadcasting for being forced to review the whole UBB thing. I wouldn't blame Netflix if they just told this country to gently caress off.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I wouldn't exactly call it a sitcom, but Trailer Park Boys is surprisingly well-written, very funny, and apparently popular south of the border.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
My new roommate is from Korea. He was pretty shocked at just how slow and expensive the Internet is here, and it took me a while to even explain what a bandwidth cap was. He was flabberghasted. Apparently his old ISP had unlimited downloads for $25 a month, and the average service call had a 30-minute response time.

In other news, gently caress Bell again. My landlord decides to update our Internet to the deluxe package this Tuesday. Our billing cycle ends on Saturday. So Bell closes our account until the rollover.

Plus, they gave us a defective Alcatel Lucent modem / router that literally resets itself if a Steam download lasts more than 5 minutes.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
I've even tried throttling my total dl speed to 1 Mbps and it still conks out. I think any sort of heavy load on this thing will kill it. It's also not just steam, anything with a high throughput kills the modem pretty effectively, like transferring anything big through my work's VPN.

VVV Public consult?

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 1, 2011

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
People generally don't check craigslist when looking to get satellite TV, but those people are generally Bell's bread and butter. Got my current box for a song.

Send it out to all the internet classified thingies. If you have no bites by the end of the month, pawn it.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

bl4d3 posted:

The service call response time's are definitely Asian in nature. Whilst in Japan (not Korea I know), an ATM ate my card. At 1am. On a Sunday. A tech was there within 30 minutes to resolve the problem. Ridiculously good.

Content Edit : I signed up for Shaw's Nitro 100Mbps service. Rock-solid 11-12+MB/sec downloading probably 85% of the time. Canadian Internet can't be THAT lovely..

I signed up for Bell's Fibe 25, which gives about 2 mbps on a good host. However, if my download speeds get over 500 kbps (that's a house-wide total), the router modem will reset itself and take a good 90 seconds to reinitialize. Do you know how hard it is to throttle Firefox?

We've made a call to Bell. They were going to come Thursday, 12-5. Nobody showed. Not even a phone call. I cancelled things to meet their goddamn tech. I call to complain, and I get "Oh. Oops. We'll send someone Saturday. 12-5."

If I didn't know Rogers was just as bad, I'd switch. I'm about three klicks outside TekSavvy's service area. I have two choices, a poo poo sandwich or a poo poo sundae. Canadian Internet access is that lovely.

E: So what was the result of the CRTC inquiry? UBB is baseless and borderline extortion, but they're gonna do it anyway?

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 5, 2011

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Welp.
http://www.tele-management.ca/content/23644-crtc_won%E2%80%99t_include_retail_services_in_internet_price_hearing

CRTC posted:

“There is no evidence that market forces are not working properly in this unregulated market.”

Better bits down on something, Bell and Rogers customers. They just got carte blanche to go in dry.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Will using Google's DNS prevent those insipid 404 hijacks?

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Maybe they've started throttling Youtube because it uses too much bandwidth. Next they're going to lobby the CTRC to levy a fine them for being an unlicensed broadcaster in Canada.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Well, I guess Netflix has been reduced to Paid Youtube in Canada.

Seriously, right now I'd vote for Bev Oda if she had a platform of forcibly inserting Bell's CEO into Rogers' CEO.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

univbee posted:

You can also buy the season on iTunes for like $46 if they don't care about HD. ($65 plus overage fees for BEING A HORRIBLE LAWBREAKING DRAIN ON PURE CANADIAN SOCIETY I think if you do).

You forgot the most important part.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

kuddles posted:

Woohoo! Teksavvy cable is in the Ottawa area now! Now I just need to buy a modem, a router, and get prepared for 2 weeks without internet as Rogers will inevitably gently caress up when it comes to properly disconnecting me.

I hope your neighbours like you.

Man, I hate comparing Bell favourably to anyone, but man does Rogers suck. I recently switched back to Rogers and did a major update to my Dropbox account. I love how Rogers vindictively slows your download speeds to a crawl when you're uploading at 100 kbps.

Also, it looks as though the Pirate Party VPN is already up:
http://www.ostra.ca/

Edit: Wait, that's just a pre-order page.

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 9, 2011

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
So under Rogers I've been paying roughly $57/mo for 10mbps@60gb. Now I find out I can get 10mbps@300gb under teksavvy for $37? Why the gently caress haven't I switched sooner? Am I some kind of moron?

I haven't been keeping up with the CRTC rulings, but I've heard rumours that some of the decisions the CRTC is making will make it difficult for teksavvy to stay at this price and cap for long. Is there any truth to this?

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

Sprawl posted:

Ah depends on what happens with the ubb ruling but its looking like it wont pass from the last few meetings.
Is there somewhere where can I get updates on these meetings? I'd like to keep up with what's going on but I don't really have the patience to sit through an entire audio session.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
It's a bit like clocking your car's top speed when you've got the engine pulling double duty as an industrial lathe.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Welp, September 8th is the last day I have Rogers Internet. MAN, was the woman who took my call insufferable. When I told her I was leaving, she challenged me with "And do you think you're actually going to be using 300 gigabytes a month?"

Also, the switch is a bit of a pain in the rear end. Rogers requires 30 days cancellation notice, and Teksavvy can't book more than 7 days in advance.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Welp, just made the switch. Did a speed test before the guy showed up and after he left.
Before:

After:

Also, I'm paying $30 less a month and I have 500% the download limit.

Never looking back.

e: Helps if I use the same server.

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 9, 2011

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
DNS servers in the Greater Toronto Area are having some issues.

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220
The Goog: 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!
Well, right now I can't access 50% of the world's domain names (like the subdomain for somethingawful that hosts all the buttons, for instance), and putting my own DNS on the router doesn't seem to help that...but I think this is as much an issue with my router as with teksavvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, I'm not having this problem, though I'm not using TS's DNS servers, either.

Horror of horrors, I talked to a tech support guy and got a real, technical answer! Unfortunately, I couldn't post it because I couldn't access the forums at the time.

They were updating their routing systems, and there was a loop error introduced. We were contacting these websites just fine, but when they tried to route traffic back to us, it got stuck in a loop. He even ran a tracert on me, and read out the IPs as it circled the drain.

Seems to be in working order now, but the connection speed and reliability is definitely still hinky. If it means 500% the download limit at 75% of the price, I'll still take the downtime. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.