Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Welp. Just got an email from TekSavvy; starting in March my internet access goes from unmetered to 25GB/mo (with additional bandwidth available at $5/mo per 40GB). And I'm out in the K-W area, so I'm outside TekSavvy cable coverage.

At least dryloop is much cheaper now than it was when I signed up; I could ditch my analog phone service (which I never use), switch to dryloop, drop $5/mo to upgrade to 65GB service and still come out ahead. 65GB is a bit cramped but I can manage with that.

gently caress the CRTC and gently caress Bell, twice, with a rusty 40-port switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I can't wait for TekSavvy cable to service to get out here.

Viktor posted:

Sucks man. Made a change to my plan last summer before the CRTC filings were pretty much public knowledge so i'm unable to be grandfathered in either. Have no idea how I'm going to fit inside the 25GB/month cap, probably just have to purchase an unmetered business plan.

Well, the good news is that dryloop is a lot cheaper now than it was when I signed up, and I'm in band B, so:

- switch from analog phone service to dryloop: -$10/mo
- pay to upgrade from 25GB to 65GB service: +$5/mo

Net result, I come out $5/mo ahead and with a cramped but usable 65GB internet service. TekSavvy is talking about rolling out dirt-cheap voip soon, too, so this might be a usable alternative for others.

Still loving sucks, but not quite as much as 25GB/mo with no recourse would.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pixfix posted:

Thats good news! Hopefully they can expand further.

Looks like yes - I sent them an email asking about UBB, dryloop costs, and whether there's any plan to roll out cable to Guelph on the near future:

TekSavvy Support posted:

Also Guelph is on the list in the next cpl months (we hope). We have just signed for the rights to bring our services via cable to that area. We look forward to being able to meet your internet related needs ASAP.

You're probably not in Guelph, but drop them an email and ask about your area - they seem to be pushing cable expansion.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ornithoptometrist posted:

Where are you guys finding out about TekSavvy cable availability? Just call them up and hope you get someone who knows?

I just emailed support@. It took them about two weeks to get back to me, but I think this whole UBB thing has them completely swamped - normally I get a reply within a day.

Calling them would probably also work, in my experience their phone support has been unfailingly knowledgeable and helpful.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Ruklo Borosee already posted the proper link for checking cable availability:
http://teksavvy.com/en/checkontariocable.asp

(though sort of in a round-about fashion)

That only tells you if it's already available where you are or not, not whether they have any plans to deploy it in your area and, if so, on what timeline. The latter is what I thought Ornithoptometrist was asking about.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:(

Normally it's a bit better (5 down, 0.5 up) but I can't wait for them to get cable out here.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 20, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh hell yes, TekSavvy has cable in Guelph now.

Jumping on that soonish.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TekSavvy cable, here I come! Modem arrived yesterday, tech comes today to activate it. Going from 5M TekSavvy DSL to 15M cable is going to be pretty sweet, and it's cheaper, too, since I no longer have to pay for phone service to run it on.

EngineerJoe posted:

Tony Clement is no longer the Minister of Industry. We were probably screwed either way but I think this is generally bad news.

Motherfuuuuuuuuck

We really need to get this electoral system unfucked. :smith:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Upgrade to TekSavvy cable complete! Quite painless - modem arrived monday, tech arrived wednesday, flipped the switch in the building cable closet (it's an apartment building), stopped by for five minutes to make sure the line was active, and said we'd have an IP in 12-24 hours. It was working in three.

I'm reliably getting 15M down, 512k up (and paying for 10/512). It's pretty nice after being on 5M DSL for two years. All I need to do is get them to re-enable ipv6 and I can kiss DSL goodbye.

That said, it's sad (and infuriating) that 15/512 counts as a nice upgrade when, apparently, I could be getting 50/50 for half the price if I lived in Latvia. Motherfuck.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fun TekSavvy DSL story: I sign up, the Bell tech hooks everything up. TekSavvy says that they should be able to deliver 5Mbps, but I'm only getting 512Kbps.

After a few days of troubleshooting, they find the problem: the Bell guys hooked me up to a line going to the old DSLAM right at the edge of DSL range from me, rather than to one going to the new one right down the street. :downs:

On the plus side, once it was all set up everything was smooth and I even had IPv6 support. Cable is three times as fast but it sucks being IPv4 only again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Martytoof posted:

There are no (?) major sites that are reachable only through ipv6 internet, so probably not.

Free static IP netblock.

Also, I like knowing that all of my stuff is already IPv6-ready rather than looking forward to a frantic scramble a year or two from now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Rogue posted:

I've suggested to people that TekSavvy should consider opening a remote office in Windsor or Waterloo because there are an abundance of graduated tech students in those areas and they could fill up a building of 100 in a week. However, they don't want to move much out of Chatham and the only reason they set up an office in Sudbury was because the Gaudrault's are originally from Sudbury.

Or Guelph (hint hint), there's no shortage of students or recent graduates who would rather be working phone support for a competent ISP than what they're currently doing (which is either (a) factory or fast food work (b) a 1h commute to K/W or (c) unemployment).

zergstain posted:

drat you bastards going to non-lovely schools.

Test it on a friday morning or something, after everyone has used up their quota for the week (assuming resnet still has quota). Bet you anything, what with it being the start of not just a new semester but a new school year, that all the firsties are running bittorrent like crazy.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 27, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rhag posted:

Well at least you have an ETA. I don't remember ever getting an ETA from Rogers when I called them. I'll be pleasantly surprised if TekSavvy has one.

TekSavvy not only has one, it has a "enter your phone number and hang up and we'll call you back when you reach the head of the queue" feature, which should be loving standard for any sort of corporate phone contact at this point.

And yet TS is the only place I've called that has it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

real edit: The reason is that they almost definitely use SQL as their internal database and apostrophes are a control character in that language. They also likely are lazy and contract the systems design to another large firm which is also lazy and, rather than have their input controller scan for the apostrophe and put a / character in front of it (between 1 and 20 lines of code depending on tools and competence), they just outright forbid the use of the character. Again, there is no excuse for this in the year 2012.

:stonk: Please don't do this. Don't manually escape your SQL queries. Use prepared queries. I am begging you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone used or heard of sentex.ca ?

My parents have been using them for upwards of a decade now. Customer support is good. Actual service isn't all that great compared to something like TSI cable, but they're in a rural area where all of the alternatives are much worse.

If you're in an urban area you can probably do much better for a similar price. If you're in Fergus or something they may be your best bet, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rogers continue to be total shitlords.

Wake up this morning, net has been down since 2am or so. Do some troubleshooting. Doesn't look like a problem on my end - the modem has link, but won't respond to DHCP requests once the coax is connected. I call TekSavvy.

More troubleshooting follows. Apparently they don't support linux (I could have sworn they used to?) and need it connected to a windows computer to rule out OS-related issues. Fortunately my wife's laptop still has a windows partition on it. After about an hour of a half of going around in circles he concludes that it's a provisioning issue and needs to be fixed at Rogers's end.

Here's where it gets surreal.

He says that he needs the MAC address of the computer the modem is connected to to submit the ticket, and that that computer needs to stay connected to it until the modem has been re-provisioned.

I ask if I can just leave it connected to the router (which is, after all, basically a small linux computer anyways), he says no. Has to be an "actual" computer running Windows or OSX.

I ask why, he says that's what it says on the re-provisioning instructions from Rogers but he'll see if he can find out more. I spend the next ten minutes on hold.

Off hold, he says that he has NFI why, they just say that it has to be a windows or OSX computer and if it's connected to anything else, or if it's connected to something that doesn't match the MAC address I gave them, provisioning will fail.

The computer, however, doesn't have to be on. It just needs to be connected. According to Rogers, the modem can not only figure out the MAC address of a shut-down computer, but can figure out what OS it's running.

:psyboom:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Guigui posted:

As for the previous poster - What the heck?!? Your cable modem doesn't need a MAC address for a machine located behind the Router - your Cable modem handles the WAN side of things, and your router is meant to handle everything in between.

Well, some modems can be configured to only permit access from a specific MAC address, in which case the configured address has to match whatever MAC the device connected to the modem presents to it. So there might be something like that buried in there.

But then they start going on about how it has to be connected to a windows or OSX machine and the modem can apparently detect the MAC address and operating system of the connected machine even if said machine is off and will fail provisioning if it's connected to a router and :wtc:

quote:

You wouldn't happen to know if your Cable modem is DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3? I only ask, because we had a similar issue when Rogers upgraded to DOCSIS 3 in our area. When we switched to Acanac, we purchased a Docsis 3 modem that was backwards compatible with a Docsis 2.0 network - but then when rogers switched to 3.0 support, they used the wrong serial number for our modem and thus their network was not responding to WAN requests from our modem. Took a few days before I figured it out through forum support.

It's a DOCSIS 3 modem. I'm in Guelph and have no idea if Rogers is still using DOCSIS 2 here or has switched to DOCSIS 3.

According to TSI, it'll take 24-48 hours for Rogers to see the ticket and act on it. In the meantime, I've bound my phone to the router and the whole house is connecting through that. :suicide:

At least I have unlimited data.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm on TSI cable in Guelph and it's been really wonky over the last few days. Had problems streaming video, tested and found out I was getting about 3/1 (I pay for 28/1). Today it's 10/1, which is better but still nowhere near what it should be.

I wonder if they're oversubscribed here, or if someone at Rogers tripped over something at the POI or something. :sigh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Been reading the teksavvy section on DSL reports and see lots of complaints with people bitching about slow speed. Seems mostly cable, but still.. making me second guess.

How is there service in general? Can anyone here vouch for them?

I've been on TSI for years now with no complaints about their customer service.

For DSL specifically, I used TSI DSL for a year or two before cable was available and had no complaints except the requirement for a landline/dryloop to use it (which is a complaint about DSL as a technology, not TSI specifically). Even did IPv6 without problems once I installed non-poo poo firmware on my router. The speed wasn't as good as cable for the price, but at the time they didn't offer cable where I was, and I certainly never had any problems with it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

New job offers home internet reimbursement if you need to work from home sometimes (I do). :yotj: Switching out my old TSI cable 28 for TSI unlimited 25/10 DSL. I won't miss that extra downstream but going from 1MB to 10MB upstream will be fantastic. Hopefully they'll be able to offer 50/something here soon, too.

I'm not terribly impressed with how Bell is handling the modem, though. Rather than sending it out with the tech who is (purportedly) coming on friday, they couriered it out with some service that left it lying on my front porch all day. The modem itself is a behemoth, a Sagemcom "F@st 2864" which appears to double as a router and WAP; hopefully it's not too difficult to turn off the wireless and put it into bridge mode, but I'm not optimistic after the last two modems.

Also, the instructions from Bell say to "place in an upright position". Two of the edges are curved, one has the LAN and coax ports on it and the last one, the one most likely to serve as a "bottom", has the phone and power ports. :psyduck:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, I've looked a bit more at the new modem and it is complete poo poo.

In theory, it shouldn't be too bad - it's a linux machine running openRG. But it's extremely locked down; you can't view line stats, can't configure much of anything except port forwarding, DMZ, and DNS, can't push new firmware to it. But your ISP can, oh yes! This wouldn't bother me so much if it were just a modem, but it's also a router, four-port switch, wireless access point, and NAT firewall.

Oh yeah, and there's no bridge mode, either. And despite being Linux based there's no source code available.

Fortunately, some enterprising people over at DSLreports are figuring out how to unfuck it, at least slightly - enabling telnet (which Bell disabled with their last firmware push) and line stats and even unlocking the Bell-only version of the web interface. So, I'll at least be able to get line stats out of it for troubleshooting when Bell inevitably fucks something up, but it'll be a while, if ever, before bridge mode or custom firmware are possible on it. :sigh:

I wonder if TSI would let me buy my own modem and use that instead...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, unfucking the modem went surprisingly smoothly!
- install and run bootpd and atftpd
- feed atftpd a firmware file for an older version
- plug in the modem and reboot while holding down reset; it'll load the older firmware over TFTP
...and now, with the older firmware running, you can use this technique to edit the configuration file, enable telnet, enable the port 50001 "bell mode" web interface with line stats, and prevent Bell (or anyone else) from accessing it remotely. Then just reboot and it's running the latest firmware, but the configuration changes are still in effect.

And now my net connection looks like this:

Which is pretty much exactly what I'm paying for :toot:

The line stats tool thinks that the line is capable of 75 down/25 up, though. Hopefully I can actually get that someday.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kachunkachunk posted:

Nice. Did you by any chance have weird speeds before unfucking the modem? Your reasons for doing it were already justified, but I was curious about whether or not it affected your rates too.

Yes, but I also tested it before the connection was set to be officially activated, so it probably just hadn't been profiled yet. I mainly just wanted to make sure the modem was working and that I'd hooked up everything in the phone closet properly, and that's when I found out how much the modem sucked and decided I might as well make it suck less before reconnecting it.

By the time I finished doing that, it was past the official activation time, so I figure the difference is just that things hadn't been configured at their end yet.

E: everything has now been moved over to the new modem - setup is now wall -> modem -> router -> everything else. Adding the router doesn't seem to have affected speed or latency and none of my computers even noticed that anything had changed.

:toot:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DMZ and port forwarding don't actually work on the Sagemcom. :suicide:

E: and remote_access(0) doesn't actually do anything, this fucker is exposing the admin interface to the entire internet :gonk:

E: these commands successfully put the modem in bridge mode and everything is much better now.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 14, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

titaniumone posted:

Any combined router platforms have always been and will always be dogshit. Use a single port modem-only solution, and whatever you want as your router.

If it were possible to do so, I would. You think I'm using this shitheap of a modem because I have a choice? It's either this or back to 1Mbps upstream on cable.

infernal machines posted:

You're welcome.

That was a weeks worth of mucking through the firmware source and every foreign language forum that dealt with similar modems to figure out. Luckly I've been home with a wicked cold and nothing much else to do.

Thank you so much.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

If anything I'd expect Bell to push FTTH as much as possible. They aren't required to share that with TPIA agreements.

They don't? gently caress.

This is (a) revolting and (b) explains a lot about the difficulties my mom had getting internet at her new place, I think.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Migishu posted:

The question I have here is "what the gently caress is a network system fee?"

My question has always been "why the gently caress is dryloop so much more expensive than just getting local voice service".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

cowofwar posted:

My dry loop fee for DSL through teksavvy was just $5.

Oh, seriously? That wasn't the case when we signed up for this originally, you had to pay the $20 band fee. Perhaps we should look into dropping voice service (which we keep unplugged anyways) and going dryloop.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I got a $1.50/mo increase on phone service, no change to internet (25/10 VDSL).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Those who really want high upload speeds, what do you use the high up speeds for? :filez: ? Is there a real benefit to the casual browser/game player as long as it's not stupid low and laggy?

Uploading video, streaming, backing my poo poo up, video chat, uploading release binaries, hosting game servers, accessing my music/videos/ebooks/etc from my laptop when I'm away from home.

Yeah, someone who's "just browsing" doesn't need much upload, but any sort of content creator or "power user" -- and there's a lot of both these days -- is going to need a lot more than 1Mbit, and even 10Mbit is pretty cramped. And in a lot of places there still aren't many (or any) options between "residential link with as much download as you want but lovely upload and caps" and "commercial link with loads of upload and a four figure price tag".

I'm on 25/10. By sinking a lot more money into it I could double or quadruple my download rate, but it's more upload I want and I can't get that unless I get a business connection.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Hmmph, sucks. Guess I'm limited to Teksavvy and Distributel huh?

E: That really kinda sucks actually, they have a DSL option with 10Mbps Upload, which neither TS or DTel have (5 limit at each). Really could use that, though I'd like to hear their service is legit first.

At least here TS has a 25 down/10 up DSL option, it's what I'm using.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Where's that at? Edmonton has only got a 25/5

Guelph, ON.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Siochain posted:

Its all good man. Standard living "up north" (we're further south than most of the US border) in a remote'ish town - I mean, we are like 10-15km off the #1 highway, which has fibre running along with it to go serve Timmins. We're a town of like 15,000 people, run me some goddamn fiber :)

gently caress, I'm in Guelph, a small city of ~100k right next to the major tech hub of Kitchener-Waterloo, and I can't get anywhere near those Toronto options.

I'm on 25/10 DSL and thankful for it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

I work near the Google office in KW that does the software for Google Fibre and it's the same situation. That has to bother the poo poo out of them.

I've spoken to some of the Fiber engineers from that office and yes, it does.

Apparently the most-asked question they get is "when are you bringing Google Fiber to Canada", which doesn't surprise me in the least.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Word.

I like how quickly Wind has gone from joke company to every single person I know getting on it because gently caress the big boys.

My wife and I are on Wind despite the fact that she spends a lot of time visiting her parents in ultra-rural Ontario where they have no coverage.

The roaming costs on Wind are less than the long-distance charges she had making calls to or from that area on Rogers.

Rogers delenda est.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Col.Kiwi posted:

Part of me wants to say the TV industry will learn from the music industry and give you decent options to buy stuff online eventually but then I remember that the most popular option for buying music is iTunes which is an absolutely awful experience to use and is locked down as gently caress so although it's still better than any option that exists for TV... I think progress on this front is going to be slow. (Yes I know you can buy TV shows on itunes for download but as far as I know that's stuff that is out on bluray, so doesn't apply to the conversation about "cord cutting" and recent/current content anyway)

I've never used iTunes but I've been pretty happy with Google Play Music; the few times I've used it it's been extremely painless to give them my money and get a DRM-free pile of FLACs and MP3s in exchange.

GPVideo was pretty bad last time I tried using it, though.

Video still has a long way to go. I've basically lost all desire to pirate video games because Steam and GOG win on convenience, and music and books are at least moving in that direction, but for video it's still way, way easier to pirate it than to actually give someone money for it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Rogers has decent plans for landline internet but they do shady things like traffic injection (and lied to me three times before I quit back in 2007). Their cell service is still preferable to Wind where it's usually "works at your house or office but never both".

Wind works great at my house and at the office, but not at my in-laws'.

On the other hand, the roaming charges on Wind are still less than the long distance charges on Rogers, and the way Rogers defines "long distance" meant that practically every call I made, including those within the same county, were "long distance", so Wind still comes out ahead even if I had to spend all of my time "roaming".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Rogers has Canada wide calling though?

They didn't when I was on Rogers, or at least, the plan I was on didn't. This was a few years ago though.

Calls between Guelph and Fergus (~20km) were definitely billed as long distance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bell rep came to the house the other day offering "fiber", but it was FTTN, not FTTH...so 50/10 instead of my current 25/10, but twice the price and with a 200GB cap.

:fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Meanwhile, I'm going to stick with TSI because what I really want is more upstream, and as far as I can tell no-one, independent or incumbent, offers more than 10Mbps unless I'm willing to double or more what I'm paying. :sigh: