Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CadavericSpasm
Nov 5, 2009
Last year when we moved into a new house I signed up with Rogers and traded in an old satellite dish to get a $35 discount for 12 months off of our VIP digital cable package and HD terminal. We 'bundled' that with the Express package of high speed internet for a whopping 5% discount. With the discounts we were paying around $130/month for both services. Be warned! The 'bundle' discounts lock you into a contract-- if you change your service tier or cancel it they charge you the amount of money you saved with the discount. When Rogers capped their overage charges at $25/month we constantly used over 200gb/month (Express maxes out at 60gb, I think it used to be 75gb) and never received phone calls or letters about our bandwidth usage.

When Netflix announced that they were coming to Canada, Rogers increased the overage cap to $50/month and lowered the bandwidth for each tier. I've been eagerly waiting and watching for Netflix to be available in Canada so when it finally was, I cancelled all of our Rogers services and searched for the ISP with the lowest overage charges. We almost went with Bell when we found a flyer for Yak advertising 15mbps service with no cap, no contract, no service fee and home phone with unlimited local calling, 400 long distance minutes and 8 features for $60/month. The flyer and the website said it was only available in Kitchener, Barrie and another city I can't remember, maybe Belleville? We signed up for the service right after we gave Rogers our one month notice. Their customer service is okay, Canadian-based instead of overseas, but the operating hours are more limited.

They really hosed up with installation. I was originally quoted a connection on the 12th, then DSL would be connected on the 15th. We had no phone connection and no field techs came to the door, and no one called. We called and asked and they said they would have to send a tech out to test if we actually had the house wired for phone. A few days later a field tech called and said he had no idea why they sent him out, the wiring was fine. So we called and complained again, and I was told that our scheduled connection date was rescheduled to be done two days earlier than previously scheduled. The rescheduled date comes and passes with no connectivity still. We call and complain and they have no recollection or record of rescheduling the date. :wtc:

So after complaining enough they tell us that we won't be charged for our first month of service. We also complained because the highest speed we're getting is only 3.5/.5 and they said we were put on 5mpbs service because they're 'working on' bringing 15mpbs into our area. I don't mind too much, as with Rogers' 10mpbs we never got any faster than 5mpbs.

Something really needs to be done about the telecom monopoly. I think Rogers made in excess of $30billion in profits last year alone. My dad has been a field tech with Rogers for +/-10 years and he uses Bell at home because it's cheaper and only contractors get service discounts. Rogers also treats all its non-corporate employees like poo poo so consumers aren't the only ones. I sincerely think if enough consumers and independent ISPs voiced their anger the CRTC could change for the better. Unfortunately Canadians are really good at being apathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU