Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Reasons your computer may be using more bandwidth:

Haxx0rz!!!!!

Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Bandwidth exempt services only end up with a tiered internet, which is an absolutely horrible thing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

less than three posted:

Yeah, mentioned it over a week ago on the previous page. Nice to see others are noticing now.

Here's a giant thread where Shaw's official PR guy stops by to basically say "This is actually better for you, because now you have the choice between staying below your cap, or paying extra if you need more. See that's good because before you had only one option (using your internet without worry) and now you have two! :downs:"
Well actually Shaw already redacted that 25% bandwidth increase, so hah.
fuckin' :lol:

If he wasn't official, I'd write him up as being one of the best trolls ever.

I love the "With today's technology unlimited bandwidth simply is not possible" line. Bandwidth is cheaper than ever, what the gently caress are they talking about?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

univbee posted:

How is someone expected to keep up with even software and OS updates with that little bandwidth? Windows 7 SP1 64-bit will probably be in the neighborhood of 850-900 megs just on its own. And if you don't update, you can find yourself compromised by a spam bot, which Bell will blame you for because you should have been updated, but you can't update without going ove :suicide:

$22 a month for internet access that I would be pissed about on my loving phone. I feel bad for Canadians.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've got lots of raw data that says the telcos are nowhere near saturation in their bandwidth usage and this is a naked money grab because they have the CTCC in their pocket, but I can't show it to you

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

Right, because then instead of someone downloading 20GB @ 20Mb/s in 2.2 hours they download at 10Mb/s in 4.5 hours. How don't caps relieve congestion? If you are limited to the amount of data you can pass then you are not on the network as often. The faster they get you on and off the more speed they have to give to someone else.

I would like to see statistics from the last couple of years. Streaming video in Canada wasn't nearly as prevalent in Canada in 2007 then it is in 2010/11

But data caps don't really affect mb/sec speeds so I don't get what your point is with this whole line of thought. People aren't bitching that they're getting 10mbit/sec connections instead of 20mbit/sec, they're bitching that they're getting less use out of the connection that they're paying for because their bandwidth limits are going down when the average usage is going up!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

So maybe the problem is with the government and not totally the isp's? gasp...

Keep moving those goalposts buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know why you Canadians are complaining about your dearth of home grown TV shows, you have How It's Made! :v: