Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
I'm upset that Teksavvy hasn't said a peep to their customers about this yet. They're the ones who have to charge, right? At this point, they should be concerned that their customers are going to be rightly pissed at a sudden apparent increase to their bill.

Has anyone else on notbell in Ontario received any kind of heads up from anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Word is Teksavvy has applied for a 90 day extention to the CRTC citing need to get word out. Bell, in light of this, has countered with a 30 day extension. At not-so-worst, Ontario will probably be waiting at least a month before our bills become a monthly colonoscopy.

Meanwhile Primus has forged ahead for their customers and has taken the initiative to charge their customers for usage over 25GB. For team Primus, it's win-win, since they'll be keeping that money until Bell finally gets to charge UBB, and they're already putting the onus on Bell for the increases they're putting into play now.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

This is how the next ten years will look:

A bunch of grannies will get $2000 bills because their wifi was "hacked" or they are dirty rear end pirates. CBC airs tons of fluff pieces on how granny can't afford her nursing home bill because she got charged too much, nothing happens because people still have no idea what a bit cap is or why people are getting charged a lot of money. The whole monopoly aspect will remain completely untouched.

Eventually some senator will get his wifi hacked and decide this is a serious issue, but instead of addressing the problem they'll just enact some milquetoast legislation that doesn't actually help consumers in any way, or will be some kind of "make ISPs be more lenient to customers who owe a lot of money" kind of thing.

The legislation will mandate the use of passwords on Wifi.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Would it be unprofessional for me to send an email out to clients explaining the issue? I want to help illustrate the issue, but I don't want to do so unprofessionally.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

univbee posted:

Except it allows easily-cracked access points like WEP (not much choice, some devices only support WEP), which will give the Telcos leverage to say something like "no, you have a password so this is somehow your fault" even in cases of genuine hacking. It will be the same argument used against anyone who's first to use some new security system, because they are ALWAYS considered 100% secure by the company (e.g. first owners of car keys with chips often got insurance claims on stolen cars denied, even though those cars had a spare key in the glove box many drivers didn't know about, and within a year they were catching thieves that had master keys with all 15 chip variants they were using at the time).

GM used resistors instead of "chips". I guess that's kinda like using WEP...

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

marketingman posted:

Do what we did in Australia in the early days - create your own "darknet". We had a tonne of enthusiasts put up their own WIFI masts and they created their own cap free wifi WAN that a lot of people ended up joining with simple directional antenna (think pringle can set ups for the cheapos, and real antennas for the people with dignity)

No prizes for realising it was for city wide free P2P.

I had a moment earlier today where I thought about creating a "ripplenet", where appropriately configured routers could obtain cap data from other hosts and route internet access through systems who had not been too close to their caps, enabling under-utilizers to contribute to other users. But then I realized that people would distribute firmware designed to circumvent the system or otherwise wreck other user's caps.

A "darknet" peer-to-peer system would be a pretty cool project though.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
It's like a singularity of when end users and the CRTC meet.

There's a lot of word out there about ISPs installing their own DSLAMs and therefore having the ability to offer unlimited packages. How does this work exactly? I thought the issue was the Bell owned the "last mile" cable (that we subsidized) and therefore were free to kill the Canadian ISP market.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Teksavvy has their grandfathered rates up.
Teksavvy UBB FAQ

In Ontario, you get flipped to a generic DSL plan and can buy up to three 40GB blocks at $4.75 each, and $55 buys a 275GB block. Bandwidth that isn't "insured" costs $1.90/GB. The tone of the TSI posters on DSLReports is that TSI has practically gone non-profit, with slim profit margins, while Bell has a few different outs that enable them to offer discounted plans to their retail customers.

So we're going from unlimited to a 145GB cap. We've typically use about 300GB per month, and we'll be paying $15 more for less. I sorted out some connection problems earlier this month so we can snarf down as much as we can get as quickly as possible between now and then. Once the caps hit, I'll be throttling at home to ensure we're not going over.

Part of teh silver lining comes from Teksavvy's announcement of a VOIP service. I believe they offered something like this a while back, but discontinued it shortly thereafter. Anyway, we pay Bell something like $22.50 of our $32 Internet bill to provide the connection, and we're paying for a phone line that we don't use very often. In effect we're paying bell about $50/month so they can pay their lawyers to gently caress us.

Whimsy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 29, 2011

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Meeting No. 54 INDU - Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology. This is the Canadian parliament meeting where they are discussing the UBB decision.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Parachute Underwear posted:

Finkenstein: obviously if you pay Bell and Rogers MORE they'll increase capacity more :downs:

He says this in the same breath where he complains that the minister is making assumptions.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Competition minus competitive edge undermines the thing he says he wants to represent. In effect, Bell hoodwinked him into looking incompetent and ineffective, and he could have avoided it if he tried to understand the issues.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

univbee posted:

GodDAMN I love this man.

I can't stand Tony Clement for his role in developing the Common Sense revolution in Ontario. I'm certain that any other MP from any other party would have done things exactly the same as he's done it.

But I can't help but feel like he's the only guy who would actually understand the issue as much as he does, which I appreciate.

Tony, you may be a huge bastard, but thanks for getting this one right.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
It makes me think back to the iStop meltdown. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but it was a matter of Ralph protesting an increased levi by simply not paying it. With six months, iStop owed something like 700K to Bell and had their cards yanked. It's what pushed us to Teksavvy in the first place.

I've got to say, Teksavvy has shown a lot of class. George "GB" Burger has been stellar in debates and other public affairs shows, and they consistently put on a good show.

On that note, Burger and Bibic were supposed to be on The Agenda last night, but I missed it. Anyone catch whether and where it might have been posted?

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Apparently he also only has two facial expressions:

:geno:

:smug:

Is there a part 3 to this interview? Part 2 just kind of cuts off and I can't find the last one.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Whimsy fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 11, 2011

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Internet Greed.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
I just conducted some experiments. First case was a long time bell client who was paying $90/month for phone and Internet services. After dealing with them for ten minutes, they agreed to bring it down to $60 per month after taxes.
A week earlier, I did the same experiment for someone who gets a dry loop connection for $60. After I was done, they bumped her up to 65GB use (still low for the money, but they didn't want to commit to a switch) and waived her modem rental. Total bill works out to $46 after taxes.

Customer loyalty is the new word for Haggling department. Thirty dollars per month is a pretty big drop though.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
If the cable companies wanted to submit a letter, they'd have saved time by simply submitting it like everyone else who wants to send a letter.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

tripwire posted:

drat, its hard to imagine how anything could be better than a commission who has made their mandate the protection of big business

It's bad enough that the CRTC saw no problem with caps but were able to suspend that decision until they had more information. Imagine how much better it would have been if Bell were free to decide "gently caress third party ISPs, we're running the whole game now!", with nothing to stand in their way.

It's lovely that by being a Teksavvy customer I'm subsidizing Bell's campaign to ruin the third party ISP market. But it could be much worse without the CRTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
I took advantage of Teksavvy/Bell's waived installation charges and went with their 25/7Mbit service. The installer arrived 20 minutes after the 12:00-9:00 window with the technician doing the line card swap on speaker phone. He had the job done and the new modem synching about 20 minutes later.

As a bonus the Cellpipe modem that Bell supplied isn't an unstable piece of poo poo.

Renting a modem sucks, but otherwise the experience has been great.