Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Desjardy posted:

Just went through this thread and can only really say wow... I'm in BC and subscribe with Shaw and have never had issues. I pay ~$100 a month for 50Mbps and (I think) 250GBs a month. I can honestly say that while I was on lower tier packages where I have gone over the allotted bandwidth they have never charged me, or even bothered to contact me for that matter. Sounds like you east coasters got the shaft.

I was surprised too. I've only been in Canada (BC) since August. I dropped the existing 15Mbps Shaw (if it had a limit, I didn't know about it) for unlimited 25/2mbps on Telus for 50 bucks.

I knew different provinces were the domain of Bell and Rogers but I had no idea that parts (most?) of the country are arguably worse than Australia -- $69.99 for 25/1mbps and 175GB on Rogers seems insane when you can get 200GB from Telstra at least, or 400GB or more from other ISPS back in Australia for about the same price nowadays.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Sprawl posted:

Here in BC telus offers their Optik which is either 19/1 or 25/3 it isn't capped and doesn't have and bandwidth limits.

Yeah, and it's about the same price as Shaw's lovely 15/1 (125GB) plan that never gave me speeds over 7Mbps.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

less than three posted:

Not bad at all for 15/1 service at 4:30pm.

Obviously Shaw is better in your area. Cable is always going to be variable and depend on your area, but Telus Optik is always 100% for me.

less than three posted:

Optik™ High Speed
Download/Upload Usage: 100 GB/month
Additional Download/Upload Usage: $2/additional GB used

They're playing the same game as Shaw. Listed limits, but currently not enforced. (And less bandwidth and double the overage rate of Shaw, too.)

Do you honestly think the moment Shaw turns on metering, Telus won't follow suit?
Well gently caress.

But from what I can see, it's $47 for 15Mbps/125GB on Shaw, or $50 for 25Mbps/250GB on Telus.

edit: vvvvvvv I just moved here from Australia, let me have my moment before they actually start counting data and I end up in a worse situation than Australia (where my limit is now apparently 1TB :()

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 10, 2010

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I got sick of getting shafted by Telus (Dropping from 9 to 4 theme packs would save a whole $8) and switched back to Shaw today.

It seems ridiculous I now have 50mbps internet, HD, 4 theme packs and PVR rental for $75/month for the next 6 months, and something like 7 months before they start caring about how much I download.

Unfortunately the tech didn't know how to provision the new Cisco wireless gateways into bridge mode. I'm not looking forward to calling tech support.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Italy's Chicken posted:

The Call Centre reps don't know what you're talking about. I got an awful SMC wireless gateway. Ended up putting my existing router into it's DMZ.

Well apparently they've been mistakenly sending DPC3825's preconfigured for bridge mode (intended for businesses) to consumers and vice versa, so I presume its becoming more of a common request. Will DMZ it in the meantime.

I figured I could wait until Monday, but I've since discovered that the DPC3825 mysteriously doesn't work with DLNA media sharers. And enabling UPnP requires you to change your password at the same time. :psyduck: gently caress ISP locked down routers.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 28, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

*Finally* found someone at Shaw who could provision my Cisco as just a modem. Tech support couldn't do it but some random Shaw employee on digitalhome.ca can.

Sprawl posted:

yea the only reason not to go shaw is if you want unlimited downloads and dont want to pay that $120 for the unlimited 100 plan. Because those plans "upgrade" as you go over the download cap tiers.

I doubt I'd ever hit the 1TB cap on the $99 plan anyway, but you CAN get unlimited for $59 if you're happy to settle for 7.5Mbps :)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

priznat posted:

I will say I do wish I could get a decent OTA signal for HD, Telus or Shaw, either are pretty crappy in picture quality compared to the direct broadcast :(
While true, the picture quality of Shaw Cable is miles ahead of Telus Optik. It's one of the reasons I switched back.