Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Shaw has a policy of not allowing you to see your usage until you've been warned and asked for it though, so you wont get to see it outright usually. Atleast in the Edmonton and Northern Alberta area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

priznat posted:

So I just signed up for the Telus Optik High Speed + TV bundle, free PVR rental and XBOX 360. Since I'm paying $57 a month now to shaw for their xtreme-I (15Mbit) paying telus $60 for their 15Mbit and their basic cable seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Hope it doesn't suck! It'll be neat to use a set top box with somewhat modern looking menus and useful features for a change, though.

I did the exact same thing, except the Telus Optik High Speed Turbo, getting installed on Friday! The wife is excited about PVRing her soaps, i get another gaming system. Everyone wins!

except Shaw. Although I doubt they care about me. I just quit working for them in October as a TSR as well. You've lost me twice Shaw!

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone know if Telus is getting in on the cap fun? I have had several people tell me that they have no caps, and I can't find anything on their website that says either way.

http://telus.com/content/internet/highspeed/compare.jsp

On their website they have it there, but they've had it there. It was there a few weeks ago when switched to them, but everything that I had heard is that its a soft cap and they never really charge at all. Even my install tech said that they dont do anything, but if you go over crazy amounts, they may call you and let you know your going over the limit, and the below article seems to say that. Ive added the Optik Turbo, so its 250g, but the actual tv viewing is part of that. Apparently, they may not have a way to differentiate between the two yet, but im not absolutely sure about that. That being said, I'll probably go over this first month, just for funzies, and see what happens.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Worried+about+extra+Internet+data+fees+know+what/4173947/story.html

Vancouver Sun circa Jan 28th! posted:

"Telus — Shaw’s main Internet competitor in Vancouver — also has monthly data caps. Those caps tend to be a bit higher than Shaw’s — for example, 75 GB for Telus’s second-cheapest plan compared to 60 GB for Shaw.

And Telus spokesman Shawn Hall said it won’t ding customers for occasionally going over.

“If someone goes over once, you’re not going to hear from us,” said Hall.

However, if customers repeatedly go over their monthly limits, said Hall, they’ll get a call from Telus encouraging them to upgrade to a more expensive plan. If customers refuse, only then will they be charged $2 per GB for however much they go over their monthly limit.

“It really hasn’t been an issue for us because our caps are very robust and we try to be friendly about how we enforce them,” said Hall."

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

slidebite posted:

So, word on the street is telus IS changing the caps, but the icing on the cake is now they're jacking up rates to boot

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=internet-rate-change

Wasnt the cap change supposed to go in to effect yesterday today? The website still shows the same caps as before. Also, they removed the option in my account to actually view usage, I hope they bring it back.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yep I am on that. It's great. My lines test around 168 up/down consistently. The server running in the other room means I still had to get the unlimited package though. Managed to get it for $100/mo so I'm not really complaining.

I know some areas of Edmonton are getting set up with it (my friend was told the line is being put in to his neighborhood, but he has to pay 1200 for it to get to his house or whatever. When i do a postal code search on telus' website, it says I have it available to me so I assume I don't have to pay for that. I currently pay 83 for internet (450gb cap) so 150/150 seems like a no brainer for 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

You know it. You can call Telus and get them to double check that your address is already set up for it. They'll enable it, likely send a line tech to replace your modem, then boom you're done.

Cool, thanks