Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Powershift posted:

Great news, alberta! involuntary sex time!

shaw has updated all their plans!

-the "high speed" drops from a 75gb cap to 60gb cap at $37/month and $2.00 every gb over
-the "extreme" package drops from 125gb cap to 100gb cap at $57/month and $1.00 every gb over
-the "warp" package drops from 250gb cap to 175gb cap at $97/month and $1.00 every gb over
-the "nitro" package drops from 500gb cap to 375gb cap at $150/month and $1.00 every gb over
-additional data: (10 GB for $5/month, 60 GB for $20/month, 250 GB for $50/month)

In red deer at least, tekksavvy isn't available in either form, rogers isn't available, the highest plan telus offers is 10mbps and 125gb cap for $50/month and $2/gb over.

Thanks for pointing out how horrible you are, shaw

:(

I don't even see anywhere on the Shaw site that lets me track this. I'm in Red Deer too, and man if I get a bill with an overage charge when they don't even let me track my usage on their site there will be hell to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
This is really good news, maybe I can actually get Netflix now.

I'm currently on Shaw in Red Deer, and I'm loathe to drop from the 15/1 plan, but it's still going to have the 100GB cap right? I checked out TekSavvy and all they have is DSL packages out here. I'm not a big DSL fan.

Any other central Alberta goons know of a better deal, or am I stuck with scummy Shaw until TekSavvy Cable or some form of fibre?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Argas posted:

Man, too bad Teksavvy doesn't have cable internet for my part of Vancouver yet.

Ditto Edmonton. I'm not the biggest fan of Shaw, but I can't/won't go back to ADSL and cut my speeds in half.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
No cable Teksavvy in Edmonton according to their website. Sigh.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Shaw rolled out their new Broadband plans here in Edmonton yesterday. I already have TV through them, so to me an extra $10 a month for 100/5 with a 500GB/month cap is not a bad deal. I rarely go over 100gb a month, so I don't really see it being a massive restriction. They have an unlimited plan as well, but it's god damned expensive for someone that doesn't *need* it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I hit 11.5MB/s downloading a test file from Nvidia yesterday on the BB100 plan. The 500GB cap works for me too, since I haven't gone over 120GB in a month in as long as I've been tracking it, but at least now there's some breathing room.

It's sad that I'm so excited for a 100mbps connection in 2011, but man it seems so fast compared to my old extreme.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I managed to get a solid 11.5MB/s downloading the latest Slackware ISO, which is mentioned ..somewhere on the uTorrent page? As a good test, since it's centrally seeded and has lots of seeders all the time. It's a pretty nice feeling. I was uploading at almost 500kb/s too.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I know they're an evil company, but I'm still pretty happy with Shaw. I don't ever go over my allotted 500GB/month, but I've gotten into the high 300s and low 400s in the past few months

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I got one of those CEG-TEK copyright letters a week ago. Deleted it, but got curious about how much they were asking for, so I clicked the link. I was on my tablet, on the IP the notice had been sent to. I don't imagine they are able to get much data from clicking the link, but I'm probably going to just clear cookies on the tablet anyway.

There's not much else to be done. Obviously I'm not 'paying the settlement' that reeks of extortion. In my mind, the likelihood of this going to court is basically nil. Still, I shouldn't have clicked that link. Kept me up last night worrying about it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Mederlock posted:

Are there even any service providers in Edmonton that provide more then 5 mbits upstream for residential users? I'm in the market for anything over 50 mbits down right now, would be willing to pay between 90-120 a month. Getting more then 5 up would be pretty nice

I got Telus fibre at 100/20. It's pretty nice. Intro price is like $55 a month then it goes to $90 or something.
The winning argument to convince my wife was "I work from home a lot and need to send files".

The download and upload have been consistent so far which is really what I was looking for. I don't know what Shaw did but the last 3 months I was lucky to get 15 down in the evening, generally I was closer to 3-6 down, while paying for a 60/3.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Aww, I was just talking with her yesterday about a billing issue and she was really nice.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Telus is coming to my house on Thursday to upgrade my fibre from 100/20 to 150/150. They're putting in a new modem and router. I hope I can bypass this one too, because I am not dealing with their dumb lovely software if I can help it. And I am for drat sure not letting go of my nice DD-WRT router. From my cold dead hands you Telus bastards.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

bigmandan posted:

What software is it they want you to run? Is it just Telus that does this or other providers as well? Where I'm at we just do PPPoE for our fibre customers.

Software was the wrong word - what I meant was the router they hook you up with. Luckily I was able to put this one in Bridge Mode as well. Last one I got I had to edit some CSS to display the bridge option, the new one it was already there and just had to be turned on.

I'm getting decent speeds down and up, and the 1TB cap is nice (even though I never got to the 550gb on my old plan).

Can't argue with the price either, I called in and got them to drop it (thanks Shaw mailer!) so I'm paying $85 a month for 150/150 and a home phone (I need it for my alarm system).

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Kreez posted:

Same for me in Vancouver. I have a fibre line running into my condo suite, but 150 is the highest plan available.

I have Telus Fibre 150/150 in my house in Southern Edmonton. It's nice. I keep champing at the bit for 1gig but realistically I don't know what I'd do with it, I just want it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Kowak posted:

Call into the loyalty department and ask (nicely) and they'll be able to work something out for you.

I do that with Telus all the time. Tell them you got a mailer from the other major company in your area, and you're considering switching. I'm paying $42 a month for 150/150 fibre in Edmonton.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

That's a drat good deal. How long are you going to be getting that price?

I last called them in April, and they gave it to me for a year. So in February or March I'll need to call again I guess. Tell them I'm thinking of switching, see what they can do.

But we might be moving early next year. Conundrum.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I walked to a Consumer's Distributing when I was about 12 to buy some Nintendo games, and the guy wouldn't sell them to me because he "didn't trust me in the store alone". What am I going to steal, the free catalogues? I'm still bitter about that.

After ours closed it turned into a badass laser tag place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Williams loving Lake has FTTH, get the gently caress out of here. I got legitimately trapped in Williams Lake for a week due to snow and they have FTTH.