Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

The Gunslinger posted:

Usage caps in Canada will soon be advertised as the number of times users can access Facebook, at least it'll be somewhat honest in representation too considering how low they're getting on the basic packages.

Not to long ago a commercial was on from uhh Rogers I believe about some plan that included 'unlimited social networking' I would always bust out at anyone near me and say WTF IS THAT? limited facebook doesn't exist, i hate cell phones, then throw something.

Talking about bad providers, the absolute WORST is nwtel(direct subsidiary of Bell) serving Canada's north. I lived in the Yukon up to 3 years ago and I paid for the highest speed DSL service which netted me 5down/.5up for $70 a month and 20gigs of bandwidth. An additional GB was(still is) TEN DOLLARS! Just checked and that plan has been upgraded to 30GB a month for $83.95!!! What a joke. Speed hasn't changed. When people ask why I moved, I say my wife wanted to move, and the internet is terrible. I see they offer cable internet now with the fastest being 25down/1up for the low price of $125 a month and 75gig of bandwidth. Additional GB still $10. Oh my god gently caress that place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

bob arctor posted:

Right now my pet peeve about Shaw, is that once a week like clockwork they mail me (physical mail) a letter saying since I have Internet and Phone I should get TV too.

The offers and incentives vary. I've also noticed that if I'm home on a weekday there's a pretty decent chance I'll get a call trying to sell me on adding digital cable to my account. Nothing against TV but can it really be worth the resources required to send my a weekly letter trying to sell me TV.

We had a land line and internet with Shaw for a while, so when they called about getting TV I talked to them for a bit and for $10 we got all the channels including the HD channels. Only thing missing are the movie channels. Pretty happy and totally worth it for me as I love my hockey in HD.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

less than three posted:

Well that went allright.

It'll be on CBC National tonight, not Marketplace, my bad.

even better! Ill watch it with my wife and tell her, yea I know that guy from the internet :smug:

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

I saw an SA thread open in the background.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

seems like a good thread to put this in.

A quote from the PR guy at bell from an article about netflix in Canada:

quote:

“A bit is a bit is a bit. If you’re a heavy user, regardless of what’s causing the heavy use, you will pay more. That’s the concept,” said Mirko Bibic, Bell Canada’s senior vice-president for regulatory affairs. “The caps we’ve established are well above our average users. If you’re a super-super heavy user, you should pay more.”

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Wonder what spin the ads will have now?

"With our new enforced caps, we are protecting our customers from the dangers of unlimited internet use such as viruses and stolen identities"

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25187382-New-Rogers-TPIA-rates-UBB-by-July-1

Rogers
Ultra-Lite Service:
2GBs cap
20$
5$ per gig over.

I think this is only a proposal, but poo poo, I've never seen a scam that bad. Who isn't going to go over 2GB in a month? Unless you only check your mail a few times a month, the flat fee of 20$ is still really high.

I used to live in the Yukon where nwtel(Bell) has a monopoly. http://www.nwtel.ca/personal/internet/dsl/dsl-lite/

These rates have been standard for years. Worst ive ever seen ever anywhere on the planet.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

madprocess posted:

To be fair: that's a very remote area. If I'm not mistaken a lot of the actual backhaul to rest of the internet from both Alaska and The Yukon and Northwest Territories is going over satellite even if your actual connection is provided by DSL or cable.

Having competition wouldn't really help anything there, there are a whole host of cost issues from providing service to those kinds of areas that are simply unavoidable.

While I would agree with what you said, I looked into what Alaskans pay for highspeed internet, and know for a fact that the gov't payed for a lot of fibre to go down in the Yukon when I lived up there. The rates have only gone up since early last decade when I first got my dsl line. No matter how you shake it, $10/gb in overage charges is outrageous.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

However this rear end in a top hat doesn't seem to know poo poo about how bandwidth works:

:psyduck:

Without throttling, Bell will run out of gigabytes and we'll be reduced to radio as the only form of media. Do you really want radio as the only way to get the dirt on Hollywood Celebs????

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

lizzyinthesky posted:

If you're in BC just get TekSavvy Cable. No questions, just go now. A plan that's roughly on par for price with Shaw Extreme has unlimited data still - unlike other regions of the country where they've had to implement UBB (Edit: okay, seems like they're extending this to everyone else too, I just got the data in my sales inquiry earlier), BC seems to not be prone to it. The minute Shaw tries to charge me even a dollar over is the minute I'm heading to TS and never looking back.

Shaw or Telus are my only options here in Nanaimo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

Changed the province to BC, and noticed the prices where better but I still get:

We are sorry but cable internet is not currently available for the Postal Code () you specfied.
Please try again later.