Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cka
May 3, 2004
Is the Sci Fi category in Canadian Netflix still essentially the "Asylum Films" repository? My free trial ran out a month ago and I didn't feel it was worth the 8 bucks a month to keep it going, especially since a good majority of the films I like to watch aren't available on it... The MST3K stuff is nice, albeit extremely limited. And lord oh lord the television selection. Yech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cka
May 3, 2004

Nomenklatura posted:

Edit: Okay, that Yak thing is confusing. People are saying that they have their own DSLAMs and whatnot, but the actual Yak *site* says they're moving to UBB in March. Doesn't say anything about exceptions at all.

If it's anything like what I heard from a friend of mine that works at the ISP I'm on, they have their own DSLAM equipment set up but can only provide access to it for people that live within a certain radius of the CO. For example, there's about a 4 or 5 kilometer radius in my city where my ISP's DSL comes in via their own DSLAM setup, but areas outside of that are still on Bell's equipment because they won't let them run their equipment in remote-ish locations like that. According to them, I have "nothing to worry about" regarding the UBB change coming in March.

My ISP has a page outlining the changes coming with UBB (without any clear explanations of areas that aren't affected, probably to not piss everybody off that IS affected), but when I plug my account information into their bandwidth tracker it says it's not a valid DSL account and UBB doesn't apply, so v:shobon:v

cka
May 3, 2004
Anybody familiar with Bell's FibreOP serivces/program? I saw a few weeks ago they were stringing up fiberoptics around my neighbourhood and I guess it was for this; they're offering 50/30 internet without any caps and the fact that it's Bell alone makes me seriously question the validity of the offer. Today a guy came to the door to sing the praises of the service and is going to stop by again in a couple of days to see if I've got an answer for him (I just let him praddle on about the pros and cons without interjecting much...)

cka
May 3, 2004

Jan posted:

I thought you meant Fibe, which is just FTTN, no matter how much they like to pretend otherwise. FibreOP seems to be FTTH, but the speeds they're offering are a loving joke compared to what fibre can actually do. On the other hand, their plans are far faster than any non-fibre alternatives for the same price. Their 250MB speed bracket does specify a transfer limit, specifically mentioning the lower speed ones don't, so it might not be dishonest... Try looking at dslreports.

Yeah I did some reading the last few days and it turns out to be the less-evil Bell Aliant and not the usual "slap grandma and kick a puppy" Bell we're used to in Ontario. The best thing I could find regading bandwidth caps is an excessive usage blurb on their ToS page so I'm thinking it is unmetered to a reasonable extent, which is nice*. I'll try them out for a few months and see if they stick me with any bullshit I guess, since that internet speed is mighty tempting (and so are the savings we'd get if we do the tv/internet/phone bundle over what we're paying currently, assuming they don't randomly jack the prices up halfway through the year.)

*I don't use that much bandwidth currently, maybe 150-200gb/month tops, but it's nice to not have to worry about an artificial limit on how much I can use it

cka
May 3, 2004

I like this so far; those speeds are consistent across about a dozen or so speedtests I've run since thursday afternoon. Spent some time pushing the connection as hard as I could to see if it would fall apart like my old 7/1 adsl did on uploads, and it didn't even bat an eyelash. Even on a torrent for a Ubuntu ISO it didn't choke or throttle, just downloaded (and then promptly seeded) the bastard at ludicrous speed. This'll make working at home so much more convenient, doing remote backups/restores and such. Granted its not a gently caress-off-fast tier, but I don't really need that much more speed and it claims to be unlimited which is pretty much the #1 thing for me. Now to wait and see how it fares in the months ahead...

cka
May 3, 2004

Argy Bargy posted:

So Bell is rolling out ftth in my community. Seems like a good deal, it's 180/mo for internet, TV and phone, which seems expensive but is less than what I'm paying individually for these services combined. However I'm surprised at how low the speeds are, the main bundle is (up to) 50 Mbps which seems awfully slow for fiber, considering on Cogeco cable I get 20 Mbps or so. I see they offer an internet only package with 80 Mbps, which is a little closer to what I'd expect, but that doesn't seem available in a bundle. They also offer 250 Mbps service, but don't give a price, I can only assume it's prohibitively expensive and meant for businesses and such.

I'll probably take the plunge but just wondering if anyone has any experience with FibreOP? I hate Bell with a passion but right now this is the only game in town, would like to hear what I can expect before I dive in.

I jumped on FibreOP last month or so, the only major complaint I have is that the TV STBs are kind of sluggish (but the same could be said for most tv offerings, fibre or otherwise.) 50/30 is admittedly kind of slow for a fibreoptic connection -- and it is a true FTTH connection, they had to run a line from the pole to our house and everything -- but it's unmetered, unthrottled and almost never deviates from the advertised speed. Stay away from anything > 50mbps though, that's when the monthly caps and higher fees come into play. Best part, since I jumped on so late in the month my bill was only $40 or so for that period. :haw:

cka
May 3, 2004

slush posted:

It's almost completely to do with competition. Aliant actually tries to compete for customers out east. I know it seems like a foreign concept and stuff. They have done a complete network rebuild with Fibre to the home in most major cities and towns in Atlantic Canada, and have pushed Rogers out quite a bit in their prime Atlantic territories (St. John's, Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, etc).

They're starting to compete in Ontario too. I'm getting a $10 reduction in my bill for no good reason (aka the best reason), and they've nixed the caps on all their >50mbit internet packages. I hope at some point we get the Atlantic speed boost from 2013 where everybody got bumped up to 80/30 from 50/30 free, but I won't be crushed if it doesn't happen. I'm already overjoyed that I can get something above 10mbps both ways and stays above 10mbps both ways.

Also good news for people that run a school or business in Ontario's cottage country! But not residential, because y'know. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/1gb-internet-service-offered-to-muskoka-almaguin-municipalities-1.2588775

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cka
May 3, 2004

bell email posted:

As part of our continued effort to bring you amazing home services, we want to let you know that starting in 2016, FibreOP™ will be replaced by Fibe and the services will get even better.

You’ll be offered a comparable Fibe package with exciting new features like Restart, the Fibe TV app and you will also have access to Gigabit Fibe Internet, which includes download speeds of up to 940 Mbps.¹

This is for Ontario. Their "better services" include a $15 price hike across the board on all the bundles, and a default speed decrease from 50/30 to 25/10. I love you too, Bell!