Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Good news everyone! Bell lowered their 6Mbit DSL caps to 25GB/month and raised the maximum overage to $60/month. Unless you go over 300GB/month, in which case the sky is the limit.

Words escape me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Bell (and Rogers, and Cogeco and all the rest) seem to have a bit of a conflict of interest as far as the internet and their TV divisions go. You're going to pay them $30 or $50/mo on top of your internet for TV whether you get it from Netflix/other sources or one of their cables packages.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm on Cogeco business now, $54 10mbit/640Kbps with no overage charges. Screw the DSL market, it's an annoying mess.

Is this a grandfathered plan? Their current page shows a 120GB cap on the $54 10/640 tier.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Cogeco just sold off their dead-weight Portuguese division, so hopefully they'll move some money into improving things on the home front.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
They claim to have 1Gbps lit up from Cogeco (and Rogers) on 10Gbps links, so hopefully things will be okay. I'm going to wait for a few months to see how it goes and if any other providers get on the TPIA train.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I recently switched to Start since they're the first TPIA in Cogecoland and things have been going pretty well. Cogeco sends tech to run cable and leave, pick up modem from post office, plug in, have internet. Next day they call to check if everything is ok. Getting speeds I'm paying for and the price isn't bad.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
There was an intermittent issue with the connection at my parents place about 18 months ago as well, and it did actually turn out to be the modem. They had a Speedtouch Pro that served them well for many years, but when we replaced it with a new ST516 the service came back to life instantly.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Recently moved my parents from Teksavvy DSL to Teksavvy cable for the greater downstream (they stream a lot of TV). Went back this weekend and apparently the default DNS server used by Rogers redirects google.com to Rogers' own portal. WTF?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

krooj posted:

After being back on Rogers for two months, I'm not sure I can stick with them. I regularly blow through their 70GB service with a combination of Netflix, Torrents, and VPN, so I upgraded to 120GB service. Guess I wait and see if I can soak up that much transfer (likely). I should just look for an apartment that's right next to the Bell C/O and get back on local DSL.

If you're happy with Rogers' service but not the cap, why not switch to a reseller like Teksavvy or Distributel? You'll get a 200-300GB cap for cheaper.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I've been with Start since they launched in Cogeco country. Install was painless, getting the advertised speeds, and don't really have to think about it. Any outages have been Cogeco-wide. Their main guy (rocca) is active on DSLR.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

rhag posted:

According to their website , they have service in my area, via cable. Now, as far as I can tell, Rogers is the only one in my area with cable, with Teksavvy riding on their infrastructure (which is why i only get 28Mbps). Is start.ca going via Cogeco or via Rogers? How come that they can get 45Mbps and Teksavvy cant?

They'll be going through Rogers in your area. The major difference between how Teksavvy is hooked into Rogers' network and how everyone else is that they have their own back haul from the different nodes where most other providers use the newer aggregated links. Rogers wants to get people on the aggregated links because they can charge more for it, and I think that the tariffs are different and include higher speeds.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Just call in and you'll change your profile for no fee. Mine was updated within an hour. Note that the caps are lower, for various reasons. They're waiting on a decision from the CRTC to bring down the aggregated back haul costs which are pretty ridiculous right now. My cap went from 300 to 150GB but I'm nowhere near that anyway so it was a free speed bump. Overage still $0.50/GB.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

How have they been for setup & customer service etc? I'm with Teksavvy, but it looks like Start is actually re-selling cogeco cable in my area, where as Teksavvy is not. My current DSL connection maxes out at 3Mbit/800kbit because the lines are so old, and I'd like to get out of the stone age.

Do it. They're the only ones reselling Cogeco so if DSL sucks for you there's really no choice anyway, but you'll get way more for the same money. Calling in is great, no hold times and they all seem to know what they're talking about. Kind of Teksavvy in the old days.

E: double post. Sorry

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Evis posted:

The ISP now also must divulge your personal information if there's a lawsuit. From the blurb I read it doesn't seem like they have to prove anything, just that they have to file a suit.

Voltage actually set a reasonably high bar to clear. From Micheal Geist's blog:

quote:

In this case, the court ruled that there is some evidence that Voltage has been engaged in litigation which may have an improper purposes, but not enough to deny the motion altogether. Instead, the court ordered release of the subscriber names and addresses with the following safeguards:
  • the case will be managed by a Case Management Judge
  • TekSavvy will only disclose subscriber name and address information
  • Voltage will pay all reasonable legal costs incurred by TekSavvy before the release of any information
  • the demand letter to subscribers will include a copy of the court order and “clearly state in bold type that no court has yet made a determination that such subscriber has infringed or is liable in any way for payment of damages”
  • the contents of the demand letter will be approved by the parties (including CIPPIC) and the Case Management Judge
  • any further cases brought against subscribers will also be case managed
  • the information released by TekSavvy will remain confidential, will not be disclosed to other parties, and will not be used for other purposes. The information will not be disclosed to the general public or the media.

Under Notice and Notice:

quote:

Second, the personal information of subscribers is not disclosed to the copyright owner. When the Internet provider forwards the copyright notice, only they know the identity of the subscriber and that information is not disclosed to any third party.

If the copyright owner is unhappy with only sending a notification and wants to proceed with further legal action, they must go to court to obtain an order requiring the Internet provider to reveal the identity of the subscriber. Canadian courts have established strict rules and limitations around such disclosures.

So you get a notice, if they want to sue, they have to convince a judge and get a demand letter approved, have to pay the ISPs costs, and are capped at recovering $5k.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Well that didn't take the shitheels long:

quote:

The notice falsely warns that the recipient could be liable for up to $150,000 per infringement when the reality is that Canadian law caps liability for non-commercial infringement at $5,000 for all infringements. The notice also warns that the user’s Internet service could be suspended, yet there is no such provision under Canadian law. Moreover, given the existence of the private copying system (which features levies on blank media such as CDs), personal music downloads may qualify as private copying and therefore be legal in Canada.

In addition to misstating Canadian law, the notice is instructive for what it does not say. While a recipient might fear a lawsuit with huge liability, there is very little likelihood of a lawsuit given that Rightscorp and BMG do not have the personal information of the subscriber. To obtain that information, they would need a court order, which can be a very expensive proposition. Moreover, this is merely an allegation that would need to be proven in court (assuming the rights holder is able to obtain a court order for the subscriber information).

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Kachunkachunk posted:

In Burlington, ON:

Bell's actually still trying to sort out my profile properly. Apparently some mixups here and there. The poor tech that came over today to validate the equipment was trying all kinds of profiles and at one point had me at 125Mbit down, 1Gbit up, heh.

I'm supposed to have ~1Gbit down, 100Mbit up. Apparently it should be sorted out tomorrow, most likely.

Were you able to get it for anything less than the full $150/mo list price? Which area of Burlington?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Oh I don't disagree. Just wondering if they're knocking off anything for signing a contract, or any other reason.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I used Start.ca when I was in a Cogeco area and they were solid.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Beanfield probably provides the most excessive Youtube watching packages, but is only in very limited areas (mostly Liberty Village).

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I still think that the best phone plan for Canada (if you don't need LTE) is a French one with free.fr. 20€(~C$30) gets you 25GB/mo of 3G roaming data in Canada/US/Europe/Aus/NZ/South Africa. It used to be limited to 1month/country/year, but not any more. Also unlimited calls/SMS to over 100 countries.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
This is a bit OT in the internet thread now, but you need to get the SIM in France. I'll pick one up in 3 weeks on a rolling contract and bring it back. Did it before when the 1month/year restriction was in place, but don't remember who it roamed on, and "free roaming canada" isn't exactly a useful search term.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I suppose I phrased that badly. I'm a data-only user with a SIP account, so the local number doesn't matter at all to me. All calls and texts are from/to my 289 number.

In any case, isn't it a little strange that international carriers (T-Mo US, 3 UK, Free Fr, etc) and a domestic quasi-MVNO (Sugar Mobile, RIP) can offer prices for Canadian data well below what the big 3 charge us for using the same towers?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
It started rolling out in April. They're calling it 'Pure fibre'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

I like the vids where man builds thing like the golf club or pool cue that doesn’t miss.

Don’t know his name, sry

Stuff Made Here