Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Very few Telus subscribers have fiber all the way to their house, 99% (or higher) Optik subscribers are still copper to the house.

It doesn't matter if you're on VDSL2 or DSL2+ since the DSLAM is still fed by the same fiber back to the network, it's only an increase in bandwidth from the DSLAM to your house. It's always been fiber to fielded 2+ equipment.

Telus kinda sorta tracks bandwidth, but as long as I've been paying attention it doesn't seem to be consistent and I've never heard of them bothering anybody who also subscribes to Telus TV.

Also, what in the gently caress could anybody have a use for 1TB a night in downloads? Are you downloading things just to say you have things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Ah. Are you sure it was fiber and not ethernet? A lot of condos have ethernet to the suite with a DSLAM in the building. Not quite fiber but still stupid fast and the latency is ridiculously low.

I've never even heard of a condo having fiber to the suite, but I'm in Edmonton.

As far as DSL Reports goes, like I said, Telus seems to be pretty inconsistent but the current VDSL2 ports are just upgraded 2+ ports and they didn't run any new fiber to the existing fielded DSLAMs so it doesn't make any sense to me why Telus would care any more or less for one or the other. I don't think they're selling internet alone on VDSL2 at this point, just Optik TV - and like I said, they've never really cared about TV customers downloading a lot.

Shoota_McG fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 14, 2010

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
They may have upgraded the fiber hardware on each end of the fiber to the DSLAM but it's been fiber for a long time. There was always more than enough bandwidth to a DSLAM to support greater than 2+ speeds. A large percentage of Optik subscribers are still on 2+ and not even VDSL (and some older pre-Optik customers still running on hardware older than 2+).

That's insane, I'm on copper and I am lucky to see 60ms.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

So far this has yet to affect TekSavvy from what I can see. I switched from DSL to cable because DSL in my area is awful (and yet Bell advertises non-existent Fibe all over my intersection). So far I've been able to torrent to my heart's content using an SSTP VPN, and having 10/1 instead of 4/0.5 has been awesome.

Here's hoping I get grandfathered if this all goes to hell. I wrote several MPs about how awful broadband is in the country's largest city and got only a single form reply, so no one is going to legislate us out of the stone age like they did with wireless.

Toronto seems to have it way worse than out west. My friend leases at 1 King West, one of the best addresses in the city, and says his ETTH service is 100/1 and filters all the server ports. Maybe he's not doing any thorough testing, but 100/1??

Yeah, Telus does 100/1 in City Place in Toronto.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Very few areas of Edmonton can't get at least 15mbps DSL through Telus, I'm sure Shaw coverage is similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
It all depends on the DSLAM that feeds you, some of them are good for 23 meg which is fine for a couple HD streams and still get ~13 meg DSL speeds.