Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

univbee posted:

The bigger issue is that Canadian ISPs don't seem interested in implementing any sorts of solutions. While everyone bitches about Australian and New Zealand ISPs, at the very least they're are actually trying to tackle the problem and offer customers a lot of options. Freezones, increased traffic during off-hours...or hell, even just more reasonable overage charges. It costs money to move data, fine, but overage shouldn't be a 2000%+ markup. No one should end up with a $200+ suprise bill.

Australian/Kiwi ISPs have a good reason for having bandwidth limits - just about anything you'd want to check out is hosted overseas and there's only so much connectivity to the outside world there. This doesn't justify that they apply the caps to everything, but still.

Canadian ISPs have no such excuse. Especially since America has similar issues for getting bandwidth to sparsely populated areas and a pretty drat insidious system of the only choice being slow DSL or fast cable, one cable provider per region. But there's only one major American ISP that even has a cap, Comcast, and that cap is both not enforced at all in most regions and pretty drat high anyway. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Joink posted:

I used to live in the Yukon where nwtel(Bell) has a monopoly. http://www.nwtel.ca/personal/internet/dsl/dsl-lite/

These rates have been standard for years. Worst ive ever seen ever anywhere on the planet.

To be fair: that's a very remote area. If I'm not mistaken a lot of the actual backhaul to rest of the internet from both Alaska and The Yukon and Northwest Territories is going over satellite even if your actual connection is provided by DSL or cable.

Having competition wouldn't really help anything there, there are a whole host of cost issues from providing service to those kinds of areas that are simply unavoidable.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
March 2011:
CRTC mandates that 20% of all internet traffic in Canada be Canadian Content. This traffic will only count as half the normal bandwidth cost to the user.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
How much good has Canadian content regulations and simulcasting and all that poo poo even done for the average Canadian? Heck even Canadian artists and the like?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Nomenklatura posted:

It's like why American animation is practically dead; it's just straight-up cheaper to leech off of someone else's production.

Er what do you mean by this? There's tons of American animated TV shows, what difference does shoving off the grunt work to cheap Korean animators make?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Nomenklatura posted:

As for that animation thing...no, there isn't. Unless something's changed a LOT since the last time I checked, original American television animation (as opposed to, say, dubbed Japanese imports) have dropped like a stone. It's not complete, of course, but the decline from the heyday of even the 1990s shows what can happen when entire industries are built around little more than leeching off of another country's economies of scale.

Well all I can say is when my son's watching TV it's about the same mixture of mostly American and Japanese shows with a few from France or Canada as there was when I was young not too long ago. Really what's changed is that instead of heavily obscuring the origins and renaming all sorts of aspects of Japanese cartoons like they did in the 80s (when there sure were a lot of Japanese shows on, Voltron anyone?).

Heck, even in my dad's day, you had a lot of Japanese animation shows like Speed Racer, Gigantor, Marine Boy etc on the old Saturday morning cartoon broadcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Powershift posted:

Comcast's "unlimtied" data packages have an acceptable use limit of 250gb/month.

Comcast hasn't sold a service as unlimited to residential service for nigh on 6 years now. Their Business service IS unlimited tho, no 250 gb cap. And I would note that the Comcast cap is not enforced in most areas either.