Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

ETPC posted:

I'm trying to get as far away from rogers as fast as possible, is teksavvy still the best independent ISP in SW Ontario?

I have a similar question. I currently have teksavvy DSL but am moving to a new house very shortly and looking to get teksavvy cable but I hear speeds have been pretty crap lately.
I'll be moving to London (east end). I can stand slow speeds for a couple of weeks if they are in the process of improving things. I would hate to have to go to Rogers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Wow, is London really that bad right now? Any ISP recommendations ?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I took the plunge and ordered Teksavvy 15/1 cable. Had it set up on the 5th and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Peak hours I'm downloading around
800kb/s-1.1mb (I probably have the wrong terminology?). Tested a torrent last night and I was getting 1.8mb.

I was expecting the worst after hearing all these horror stories lately but I've always been impress with the company and the DSL service so I decided to give cable a shot and am glad I did.

Oh yea, east London.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Hey Lone Rogue, do you know whats going on in London? I had no connection this morning. Rebooted my cable modem twice but nothing. And just read on DSLreports that there's an issue?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

8ender posted:

I have it setup at the router level and its like magic. I just download the netflix/hulu/whatever apps, visit the websites, whatever and it just works. Its really really nice.

As an example I wanted to watch a BBC show the other night so I just visited the UK iplayer site and it worked great.

Been using unblock-us at router level as well for acouple of months and it's been pretty flawless. It's "set it and forget it" type of magic.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Bieeardo posted:

Is anyone familiar with Teksavvy cable service in London, Ontario? I just got notification that they've 'upgraded', and I figure this is probably the best period of time to switch with the students all leaving for the summer.

I been happy with their service. Was originally on 28Mb/1Mb but changed it recently to 18Mb/512kb since my usage dropped. Always got max speeds and good pings. I'm not too far from Fanshawe and never really noticed any slowdowns or anything during school months.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Anyone know any information regarding Acanac's IPTV service? There's very little information trickling out in their forums but nothing concrete on channel listings, pricing, etc.
Currently on Teksavvy cable but I'm hoping Acanac's IPTV service gets rolled out soon. I will gladly switch over if there's a decent lineup of channels.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

NerdPolice posted:

Anyway probably going to get my roommate to switch to TekSavvy but debating between cable and DSL. My own experiences have all been with cable, and my address ony shows the 15/1 package with a 300 GB cap offered. Is it safer, with TekSavvy, to simply go with cable and get either the 18/0.512 or 28/1 package? Never having dealt with the company, this city/province, or DSL has me unsure.

In London as well and on Teksavvy cable. Never had any issues and always had full speed. I was on 28/1 but dropped to 18/.5 because I found myself not really needing it.

I believe they take a two months bandwidth average before charging overage
For example, if you're on the 300gb plan. If you do 325gb this month but next month you only do 250gb, you're fine.
Unless they changed things now.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

So part of my internet issues was simply this weird YouTube/twitch.tv caching server:

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/time-warner-cable-sucks-for-youtube-twitchtv/

Blocking it makes everything actually stream lighting fast again.

The instructions say Time-Warner Cable, but it seems to affect Rogers and TekSavvy customers too, at least from looking at broadbandreports.com.

Is there instructions to do this on a dd-wrt router? My youtube has been lovely for awhile now and glad I saw this.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

Can you get to a console somewhere? Apparently you can enter this into it on DD-WRT:

iptables -A INPUT -s 173.194.55.0/24 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -s 206.111.0.0/16 -j DROP

Cool thanks. I will try that tonight when I'm home.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

I couldn't figure out how to do it on my Tomato router at first. I just had to enable SSH on it, and do it that way.

edit: holy poo poo, finally functional YouTube on PS3.

Well holy crap, it seems to be working! I haven't put it much to the test yet but I haven't had any lag as of yet.
Glad to see everyone are having good results as well

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

teethgrinder posted:

No one else has answered, and I don't use DD-WRT, so I Googled this for you: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r28071953-

By console, meant you could run the commands by connecting to your router with SSH or apparently Telnet, but the above instructions look simpler.

That's how I did it as well. Was just about to post instructions but was at work all day.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm on Teksavvy and had the cable issue like everyone else the other day. But when I logged onto my VPN, I was able to get regular speeds.
Just out of curiosity, how does that work out?

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
There seems to be alot of knowledge in this thread. Hope I can throw in a question.

I'm looking to get cable internet for my parent's home. They are currently on Teksavvy DSL. They had a bell phone line until recently when they ported their bell phone number to Rogers home phone. Rogers installed their home phone and (I'm assuming) re-wired something. Their internet still works (though only receiving about half the speed). And they are not paying any dry loop fees to anyone.

Will any of this be an issue if I get cable internet from Start.ca? I plan on keeping the Teksavvy DSL until Start.ca cable is up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

37th Chamber posted:

If they're not paying for a dry-loop the port has just fallen back to its un-provisioned speed (usually 3Mbps). If they're CO-fed that speed could stay there forever, if its remote fed it could die at any minute if they need a port. Only way to fix it is start paying for a dry-loop, or resume getting traditional phone service and get another DSL 'install' (either of which will cost your parents $50 installation).

Thanks. The 3Mbps makes sense.
I'm not too concerned about the DSL service right now because I plan on setting them up with cable internet soon. My concern was if there would be any issue with getting cable internet with a company other than Rogers. I don't know if the Rogers home phone installation would screw up anything for when I order the cable internet. I'm not too familiar with wiring or the backend of things. Wanted to check and minimize any potential problems.