Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

less than three posted:

Heh, suburbs. They don't even serve the entire Downtown Core. :(

Fixed that for you. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

less than three posted:

No contract.

The Internet is $37 after 12 months, basic TV is $23.

Come 12 months I'm just going to cancel the TV.

edit: Considering I'm paying Shaw $57 right now (plus a $2 increase starting April) even if I kept the TV after 12 months it'd still be the same for both services as Shaw charges for one.

Just jumped on this as a new customer (not switching or anything). $42/month for Internet + Basic TV + Sports + 1 box for a year is too good to pass up. Thanks for the heads up!

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

less than three posted:

No difference in peak/off-peak for me.

Still the same.

It seems though that some bandwidth is permanently reserved for Optik TV. This is what my modem has right now for connection speed:

Weird, I just had my Telus put in and my SpeedTest numbers are nothing like yours (even though my modem is reporting the same speeds). At best I was getting about 6 Mbit down and 1 up. As far as I know I'm on the same plan as you as I jumped on the $15 deal as well. Is the speed going to be dependent on my building's distance to a DSLAM?

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

priznat posted:

Yes, according to my installer. He said this is also a factor on whether or not you can get "Turbo" at your location.

Weird, I would've thought the sync rate would've been lower then, unless VDSL is radically different to ADSL, which is what I'm more familiar with. Oh well, I'll try power cycle everything and use ethernet to see if I can get any improvements.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

PhancyPants posted:

Telus just finished their install.

Edit: I did notice that my ping times are much higher on speedtest.net, but a quick jump onto live seems to be no noticeable difference.

Follow up to my Telus install: I plugged my computer directly in to the router and my speeds basically doubled from 6Mbit to about 13Mbit. So I guess the wireless on the Actiontec router is kind of poo poo. Either that or I could try change the channel or something, because my building is saturated with wireless signals (downtown :w00t:). It's not a huge deal because I was planning on running ethernet to everywhere it was needed anyway and for $15/month I can't bitch too much.

Also I'm glad you're reporting a lovely ping on speedtest.net too. I noticed mine was about 150ms which I thought was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005

I light fires posted:

Try calling them up for renewal, during the summer their check on who is and who isn't a student is usually pretty lax. Also in sept, swing by a college or uni on opening day. Usually there is a shaw rep who is doing sign ups and they don't check student status because despite checking being the rule shaw cuts their legs off and will send one guy to sign up 20 thousand people who just ends up taking names, phone numbers and student numbers.

I've managed to swing my student deal for the last 2 years simply because I live across the street from a college and I look like a scruffy 20 something despite being a scruffy 30 something.

Speaking of the Shaw student plan, MY GIRLFRIEND is going back to school so I figure we should take advantage of it, especially since Telus just raised their rates again. I've never actually switched providers before so I was looking for some advice.

Should I just call Telus and tell them to cancel my account at the end of the next billing period then call Shaw and sign up and try to get a tech appointment around that date? Will Shaw hassle me if I'm the one signing up but not going to school?

I guess I'd be willing to listen to a Telus retention offer, as I don't really have any problem with their service, but they'd basically have to come down $50/month to match that Shaw student deal, which is a drat good deal.