Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
AEI just updated their prices. For Quebec, starting in March, their standard $30/5Mbps service will have a 60GB cap, with each extra gig costing $2.50, to a maximum of $60 extra. That is, unless you blow past 300GB, when they'll start charging $2.00 per gig, with no limit.

They also now have $40, $50 and $60 plans that have 100, 140 and 180 gig caps that have the same overage fees as the base rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Conrad von Finckenstein is telling everyone now that IPTV doesn't go over the internet. :negative:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I hadn't realised Patrick McKenna was so old and flabby looking nowadays.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Totally posted this in the wrong Canadian thread~

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 21, 2011

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Does anyone here have experience with the wireless modems Bell is using for its Fibe service? My grandmother recently switched over to take advantage of some bundle deal and the speed of her connection seemed to be all over the place. She didn't have any problems with the old wireless G router she'd had before, but this new thing is sleek and scary looking and only has one antenna. :ohdear:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Does anyone know Rogers' policy on using your own modem? The SMS Networks thing in my new apartment is pretty terrible (the service is in the landlord's name so the answer isn't just to switch ISPs).

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Sprawl posted:

Typically they wont let you but the smaller isps ala tekksavy and like will. Is it one of those modems or is it one of the modem + wifi gateway things?

It's the middle one. I have to use its built-in wifi because I can't snake cable across hallways or run them through the walls. It's just really bad at its job. My computer is only about 25 feet away, but the connection is flaky to the point where I'll just get dropped and have to cycle the thing's power to be able to connect to it again.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Another Rogers newbie question- if they're hijacking my 404 errors and such, is Google DNS the best alternative?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Guess which ISP is the worst throttler in the world?

http://wordsbynowak.com/2011/10/21/rogers-throttlin/

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

If my cable modem/router's status page is saying that the downsteam channel is locked, but that the upstream channel isn't, does that sound like something is wrong with the unit, or the cable service? The Rogers account in under my landlord's name, and he happens to live in a different city, so I'd like to figure things as much out as I can before asking him to drive over for an hour to poke at things.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Does Rogers subcontract out their technicians or something? The first guy who came to my place talked about 'zapping' the line how how 'bleeing' might be the cause of my internet problems. He reset my modem to the factory defaults and left without checking that any traffic was getting through after the modem finished booting up.

The second guy actually checked the wiring, and replaced the connectors on the wall jack and the coax running to the devices, replaced the splitter and ran off to a Rogers store to get a new modem before deciding that the problem was probably in my building's cable box. He only gave up when I couldn't get ahold of the super to give him physical access. He left the new modem, which was nice, because the wireless signal strength went up by about 15 dB from my bedroom.

(Here's hoping guy #3 will be like #2)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I guess it's time to pack up this thread. Rogers commisioned a study that found that Canada's internet service is actually great!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Canada+Internet+among+best+world/6090546/story.html

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Septimus posted:

But wait! The CRTC has to approve this acquisition! :xd:

One time they forced Canwest to sell off CFCF-TV when they would have owned every English-language commercial station in Montreal. Surely they'd be wary of media concentration today, too. :unsmith:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 16, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

less than three posted:

Bell offers 'Fibe' TV over VDSL. It's a nice Cisco/Microsoft Mediaroom setup. As much as I hate Bell, it's a quality product and would recommend over Rogers any day.

I was visiting family in Montreal recently, and the video stream on their Fibe service would cut out for a half-second every minute or so. It wasn't for some weird, exotic channel that was being pumped in via satellite from the other side of the planet, either. It was the SD feed of CBC's Stanley Cup coverage. I was really surprised.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Do any of you guys have experience with Start internet?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

That's good to hear. My new roommate uses Netflix, and we've already hit 75% of our Rogers data cap. :sweatdrop:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

priznat posted:

I know people who are still on Shaw/Telus webmail because "google will read my mail"..

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDS1Y9zT-bs

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

letgomyAgo posted:

TL:DR- Eastlink throwing filters on customers connection for no reason and denying that such a filter is even a thing that exists.

A filter in my building's cable box killed my internet and it took three separate Rogers technicians about a week and a half to figure out that it was the problem. :saddowns:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

It's still an outrage that their entry-level FTTN isn't even competitive with their own decade-old DSL service.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I tried to use Bell's CTV livestream, but it blocked me based on my ISP (Rogers). It claimed that any ISP can qualify for the live streaming if they meet certain requirements, but does anyone know which providers have actually been accepted?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

Maybe Rogers just provides the worst modem/router combo.

Mine hasn't crashed in a month! :downs:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

DSauer posted:

The only thing ticking me off about Bell's FTTH offerings is how utterly underwhelming they are. Fibre vastly outstrips the capability of DSL and cable in most cases and rather than offer their customers huge numbers at a decent rate and murder their "competitors" they're just offering the same thing we've always had, but through a glass tube!

That's pretty much what a I said to the salesman, "That's it? That's all you're doing with Fibre Optics?"

When Bell brought Fibe to Montreal, their base offer had the same cost and speed as their old 6 Mbps DSL. Unless you wanted to go for a bundle, there was zero reason to go for it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Has anyone else on Rogers cable in Ontario just had their DNS poo poo itself?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

I'm on rogers via teksavvy but we use unblockus' dns sooo No?

Have you tried using Google's DNS over Rogers?

Also, it seems TekSavvy now requires you to enable ZTC before the first of the month at 8pm or you can't for the entire rest of the month :bang:

Oh, yeah, I switched over as soon as I noticed. It's just kind of a big screwup for an ISP the size of Rogers.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Rukus posted:

That's because:

TPIAs are not allowed to offer 150/10 until Rogers certifies a modem for them. Kind of anti-competitive since this leaves TPIAs without any packages past 60Mbps.

Rogers told us that we'd need to get a new modem when we wanted to get a 60Mbps plan, even though our existing modem was supposed good for up to 400mbps down. The new one is supposed to be capable of 960. :psyduck:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Great move on Bell's part to use the same branding for both ADSL/VDSL and FTTH. No matter where you live and how lovely their offerings in that area are, they can use the sheen of fiber almost being in the name to make it sound good.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Our internet is being periodically DOS'd by some lovely kid who got in a skype argument with my roommate. I called Rogers and the tech told me that their DHCP solution is incapable of provisioning us a new IP address unless we leave the modem unplugged for a whole day or exchange the CGN3 for another at a Rogers store.

This seems insane to me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

WaffleLove posted:

As a third party Rogers Tech(I do internet/TechXpert). Be thank-full we suggested that, instead of forcing you to go to techxpert. Just unplug your modem for a day and get a new IP. If it still happening, request TIER2 as they're actual rogers employees and tell them WTF.

Edit: If tier 1 refuses, ask for sup, that'll send you to CC and have CC transfer you to teir 2 after complaining about cancelling or some poo poo. Tier 1 our phone primes are useless and will follow protocol, tier 1.5 TechXpert we're forced to follow out dated malware remove procedures/can't do jack poo poo about it. Tier 2 has actual access to roger systems and resorces, we have limited access. Re we can check for outages and re-push information as well as measure noise/interference on line.

Yeah, the guy was generally clueless. He understood that we wanted a new IP address, but kept suggesting we turn on MAC address filtering, as if it was a neighbour who was stealing our wifi.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

The only two good Canadian shows in the last twenty-five years were Forever Knight, and Little Mosque on the Prairie (S1-3 only). :colbert:

And anyone who so much as thinks the words "Littlest Hobo" or "DeGrassi" will be the first up against the wall. :commissar:

Okay fine; I'll give you Mr. Dressup and Polka Dot Door, too.

Street Cents.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

JawKnee posted:

Phil showing off his jewelry is a childhood memory

One time he flipped his hair forward and put his sunglasses over it. :allears:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Had a scare yesterday when my internet died exactly at 5:00pm. I figured it was for sure something on their end with the timing, but the tech eventually found that the people renovating the unit below me had cut my line while trying to reroute their own. Score one for Rogers, I guess?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

My roommate went to downgrade our plan, but Rogers turned out to have a new one offering 40 more megabits per second down for $7 less than what we we'd been paying. Where is this consumer-friendly behaviour coming from? :psyduck:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

Does anyone remember microbytes in Quebec?

You mean aside from the guy on the last page who brought them up? :v:

Yes, I do.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I haven't used Crave, but Bell's in-house browser streaming has always been abysmal compared to the American networks they geoblocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

If the upload is slow enough, could it be possible that the TCP overhead of the download would be enough to choke it?