Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

priznat posted:

So I finally got around to logging into my Telus (optik tv+internet) account to setup payment plans etc, and I was checking out the Usage stats.

There are none, it's all 0.00 GB used for each of the time periods. Are they just not switching it on or do you have to hit the 100GB ceiling then it goes live? Or is it more of a "eh, we could turn this on one day but for now gently caress it" type of thing?

If you have Optik TV, you effectively have no usage cap (at least until later this year).

They currently can't differentiate between TV and Internet traffic (or rather, in a way that makes it easy for tracking/billing), so they don't even bother.

If you're on a regular high speed plan (with no TV), you need go a little over double your advertised usage cap before they'll contact you to slow it down a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

priznat posted:

Nice, are they doing upgrades to allow the differentiation later this year then? It'd probably be completely separate from that but I'm hoping they upgrade the equipment in my area so I can get the Turbo and also be able to watch/record 2 HD channels at the same time. That limitation kind of sucks :(

Thankfully with the time-shifted eastern channels I can usually stagger out the show recordings when they're all bunched up on one night.

Ironically, it seems people worried about their usage is pushing Telus to actually develop something that can track it properly. Optik TV runs through the internet, so it's difficult for them to tell if that 5Mbp/s you're pulling at the time is internet traffic or TV traffic.

Even if they upgrade the ports in your area, you might not find out about it simply because they often use the upgrades to make room for new subscribers. However, if you contact customer service or repair they could probably tell you if your line qualifies for something higher.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

priznat posted:

That's weird, I do have the 15/1 but only get 1 HD channel at a time. I should phone Telus up and beef at them I guess.

The installer told me this would be the case but he did mention it's a good idea to phone up to pester Telus about it.

Definitely give Telus a shout about that. What probably happened was that when the installer set everything up your connection, for whatever reason, could only support 1HD/1SD. Contacting tech support would be able to tell you what your connection theoretically supports and what they can do to improve it or get it as close to the theoretical as possible. heck, it might be

1HD/1SD profiles are pretty rare, and there's usually a specific reason for it.

To answer another goon's question, Telus is actively trying to improve it's services, but it's mostly focused on getting everyone onto Optik TV. If you're already on Optik, don't hold you're breathe for a profile upgrade, but still ask about it if you ever talk to tech support.

FYI, former Telus tech support guy here.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Squibbles posted:

If I remember correctly each active HD channel you watch knocks 5mbit off your speed. If you are in a location that allows up to 15mbit then you could watch 2 HD channels and still have 5mbit left to download.

I've also heard of people being in areas that allow 25mbit but their internet was set to max out at 15mbit and they were able to watch 2 HD channels without it affecting their internet (since they had that spare overhead that the line would use).

An HD channel takes ~5.1Mb, while an SD does ~3.2Mb. If you've got Optik TV+regular internet, than your internet speeds would be up to 15Mbp/s (minus TV traffic). If you've got Optik TV + Optik Internet, than you'd get up to 25Mbp/s. It's essentially a combination of what your line is capable of and plus what package you choose. If you're lucky, you live in an ETTS/GPON/CityPlace area and get fiber, which is all kinds of awesome.

FYI, for those looking to get Telus, the actiontec gateways they've been giving out are god-awful pieces of crap. If you know you're way around routers, ask the installer to set you up with an ALU modem and use your own router for internet.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Argas posted:

I know nothing about modems and routers. Any chance of an explanation for this?

A gateway is a modem and a router in one device. A modem turns whatever signal Telus sends you through the phone line into the internet. A router will take that single internet connection and do stuff with it (like split it, make it wireless, etc.) Currently, Telus provides an Actiontec gateway. As a modem, it's alright, maybe a little flakey. As a router, especially as a wireless router, it's really hit and miss. When it works, it's great (it's Telus' first wireless N device, plus it can actually create two separate wireless networks). But troubleshooting that thing is more painful than any other gateway they gave out, and it can be really flakey some times.

I've always preferred using a stand alone modem with my own router because it gives me more flexibility in my set up and I don't need to deal with the headaches of using one of their gateways as a router. Plus, if I ever want to do anything more advanced with my router (i.e. port forwarding, DMZ, etc.), I can get support from the manufacturer (Telus doesn't troubleshoot/support anything beyond basic functionality, and manufacturers won't support equipment with Telus firmware on it).

It's up to you which way you wanted to go. I'll include some information here about Telus' set up, though some of the processes might have changed since I last worked there a month ago.

For Telus Internet (no TV), customers get a Siemens (also branded Sagecom) Gateway, though they've been trying to phase that out and move over to their Dlink G3810 Gateway. The Siemens Gateway is an ok router, nothing spectacular though. I personally like the Dlink one a lot better, though I as far as I know it's only in a limited roll out for internet customers right now (I think they're trying to get rid of their Siemens stock first). The Dlink gateway is also the same one they use in some of their Optik TV set ups, but I'll get into that in a bit.

If you wanted to go with a modem+your router set up, you could talk to a customer service rep and ask them to send you out a Speedtouch stand-alone modem. I know some CSR's don't realize they can do that, especially the Manila agents. Also, tech support can do a modem swap, which is basically used for defective modems. That's usually what I'd do for a customer that wanted to use their own router, make up some excuse to say their gateway is defective and send them out a Speedtouch as a replacement.

Optik TV is a little different though. The set up for it really depends on the customer's home. Optik TV is an IPTV service, meaning TV is sent over the internet. Each digital box needs to be connected to the internet. The two ways to do it are either with ethernet to your Telus gateway (the preferred and most reliable), or using your home's existing coax cable. Because it can only be connected with these two ways, the location of the Telus Gateway is important. It has to close to both a phone line and a coax cable line (unless your home is wired for ethernet or are willing to string some ethernet around your home).

Since the location of the gateway in your home is important, you can often get into situations where you have to place the gateway in a place where you get poor wireless internet in the rest of the home. This can sometimes really suck because Telus doesn't guarantee wireless.

My personal set up was a little complicated because it involved 3 floors. What I did was use an ALU modem connected to a switch. The switch had a Dlink gateway and my own personal router connected. My computers and laptops were all connected to my router. For the Dlink gateway, I turned the wireless off, and connected two digital boxes to it (one over ethernet, one over coax). Because the modem and router were separate devices, I had more flexibility in placement in my home.

I've actually helped in even more complicated set ups, especially ones where people have home theatres. For example, rather than connect coax cable from the wall to your digital box, you could connect it to HCNA adapter and switch, an now you have full internet access by your TV (great if you've got a HTPC or similar computer you use to torrent and watch home movies). Actually, if your digital box is connected with coax, you could also connect a computer to the ethernet port on the back of your digital box for internet access, but I wouldn't recommend this if your torrenting.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

beyonder posted:

FTC? Consumerist.com should have more than enough ammunition for FTC complaint.

It's CRTC in Canada. I wonder if there's a Consumerist equivalent in Canada though?

Anyways, the number is the generic customer service number for Telus. Just call them up and tell them you don't want any more marketing calls.

Actually, if you're on a Do Not Call List, shouldn't they get fined for every call? Record every time they call you, you might be able to get something out of it. I seem to remember someone on Consumerist saying they got like $500 from a company violating the DNCL.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Tagra posted:

I was dicking around with the Telus site to see my bundle options for upgrading, and apparently even though Optik TV is available for my address, Optik internet is not?

... aren't they kind of the same thing?

Optik TV + regular Internet is basically TV with internet up to 15Mbps.

Optik TV + Optik Internet is TV with internet up to 25Mbps.

Tagra posted:

I'm not certain where else I should be asking this, but I am curious; is it possible to get DSL in an apartment complex? I suppose a better question would be what is DSL? Pardon my ignorance, I'm just not very clear on how the different varieties of online services differ. DSL seems like a far better deal for the price but I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into something over my head.

DSL is simply internet over your phone line. Voice calls only take up a small portion of your phone line, DSL is using the rest (not to be confused with Dial-up which is internet but using that same small portion as Voice calls). The biggest limiting factor for DSL is the quality of the line, which for Telus means DSL speeds can range from 3Mbps to 25Mbps.

If you can make a phone call, you can probably get DSL. Just call your local telephone company/ISP and see if they can qualify you. Every company (including cable internet providers, I assume) has tools they can use to qualify people for service. Being in an apartment shouldn't be a problem.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I'm sitting here at Cityplace tethered through my Blackberry because Telus' office is closed for Canada Day. My account info was never sent to me and regular Telus tech support think I'm a witch because I'm trying to reach the internet without a modem.

If I don't get this setup in the next 24hrs I'm cancelling. No speed is worth business-hour tech support.

Tell regular tech support to get someone from Solutions on the line, they're the guys who handle Cityplace. Technically you do have a modem, but it's in a place where you wouldn't be expected to trouble shoot or anything. Did they have trouble bringing you up in the system? Usually they bring everyone up by phone number or address, so having someone from Toronto throws a lot of front line off.

It's surprising front line didn't pawn you off to them right away anyways, they love doing that. Tech support is open 24/7, even Solutions agents, though the bulk of them go home by 12am to 1am (MST).

I miss working the holidays, 3x pay was so gratifying to see on a paycheck.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

So, what's stopping Verizon or someone from hopping across the border and installing their own FTTP networks? They could absolutely destroy the competition in both price and service levels.

Installing ANY wiring to the premise is really expensive. That's why the incumbent telco's and ISP's have such an advantage, the wiring is already laid.

It's also why DSL companies, like Telus, will only really have fiber to new houses and apartment complexes. Sure, they'll wire fiber to the DSLAM's, (which is essentially what their Optik stuff is), but never last mile to a customer's premise.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

You guys need to stop thinking in absolutes.

There is a very good reason why tech support guys ask you specific, scripted questions. It's because 95% of tech support calls follow the same decision tree. It's vastly more efficient AS A WHOLE for a tech call center to follow scripts than it is to treat every problem like a unique snowflake. That's what tier 2 is for. So if a front line agent asks you to do something, do it because they've dealt with your issue a hundred times and know more than you.

Having said that, I'm kind of on Twiin's side on this. Yes, having an unsupported router in the mix can cause speed issues, but that doesn't mean you can't check other things. Doesn't matter if a customers router is a potato with ethernet jammed into it, if a simple line test to the modem shows discrepancies than you know it's not the router, and that's something you can troubleshoot with.

For example, the Telus tech script does check for 3rd party routers, but you're still required to do all other troubleshooting (i.e. line tests, modem tests).

To be honest, it sounded like the tech agent was probably looking for an excuse to end the call and keep his call times down.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Backov posted:

There's a lot of angry tech support dweebs in this thread. Embrace the rage, script monkeys.

Twiin- I am in agreement with you. I would have escalated to his supervisor myself.

Actually, that might be an interesting poll, who has actually worked in ISP tech support in this thread?

'Cause as a former ISP tech support guy I'm with Twiin on this one. Our process was to advise the customer that while we could to do SOME troubleshooting, we couldn't do COMPLETE troubleshooting. Does that mean we wouldn't dispatch a tech if they had a 3rd party router when it's clearly the provisioning? NO, the router has nothing to do with it. BUT we wouldn't know if we didn't do basic troubleshooting!

In fact, when I was working front line I'd have a provision test (amongst others) done within the first minute or two of the call, before the guy is even done telling me his problem. Customers are more willing to do troubleshooting for you when you say you've checked the ISP end and everything checks out.

It doesn't matter if you've been on the phone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, you'd be pissed if a call center agent brushed you off and refused to do BASIC troubleshooting himself.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

This thread reminds me of the time I did tech support for wireless. We'd always tell people not to call from the device that we need to troubleshoot. Was always fun resetting their connection and hearing the call drop.

Almost the same thing with ISP tech support. If you're an unwilling to jump through hoops have fun with broken Internets :shopkeeper:

Haha, oh god I hated that doing support for AT&T. Especially when the customer is on the road or calling in the middle of doing something. Why yes, I'd love to wait on hold for 20 minutes while you finish your drive home.

Having said that, keep in mind that Twiin is jumping through hoops. He's indicated he's getting a laptop to troubleshoot with. He's just upset that the tech support agent wasn't willing to check anything else, and rightly so.

Let's say Twiin gets his laptop/60ft ethernet cable and calls again. This time tech agent does complete troubleshooting and discovers it's a line issue (or provistioning issue etc.). Now he needs to escalate or dispatch. This chain of events essentially caused wasted time and negative perception for the customer and increased call volume for the call center (which in turn causes increased hold times), all because the original agent couldn't be bothered to do a couple 10 second tests.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Also keep in mind that the next two months are going to be super busy for ISP's. With the school/college year starting and people moving, techs are probably working over time for new installs and moves.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

blah_blah posted:

In my experience Shaw actually has very good customer service -- you can also use their online chat feature, and the wait times are really good for that (usually waiting about 5 minutes or less).

It's been my experience as well. I recently moved into a new place last month, and both the CSR and the installer were great. The problem was actually getting a CSR on the phone, minimum 1 hour wait every time I called.

In their defense, September is usually one of the busiest months for an ISP, but still, it was really bad for hold times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Tagra posted:

The guy who installed the Optik for us (who didn't seem to be incompetent...) said that there seems to be an issue if the boxes are hooked up through HDMI, and they all have less issues and are less frequently sent in for repair if they are hooked up with component instead. I have to wonder if there is anything behind that, or if it's just confirmation bias or a side effect of HDMI being a more popular hook-up and thus more statistically likely to be present when something blows up.

It's TRUE that HDMI is not officially supported, and standard procedure is to get you to swap them out for component cables for troubleshooting (it's one of the first steps, or at least it was last I worked there).

In practice, unless it's a video/audio quality issue, the techs don't care about HDMI (or at least the thinking ones). I've seen maybe one PVR that had issues with HDMI, but it had other problems and eventually was replaced. I'd personally just use HDMI and maybe keep a spare set of component cables around in case something happens. Incidentally, I've seen a lot of customers replacing HDMI cables due to cable or connector being bent, so watch out for that. TELUS will replace component cables for free, FYI.