Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Ugh. Does anyone have a decent form letter I can expand on? Every time I start writing I just get angry and belligerent. I'm not even an angry guy, but I can't put two coherent sentences together without throwing in angry language.

I did the same thing. I started up cool and coherent, but ended in disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo this guy hasn't got a leg to stand on. He seriously has no idea what he's talking about.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"Why don't business users follow the same example?"

BAM! Left hook from the democrats

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"Why do we have caps and lovely internet and other countries don't?"

Bam, right hook from the Liberals.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"Skype won't affect the cap because Skype doesn't do streaming video"

Wow, ok, seriously, what?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so listening in on that, Baron von Cappenstein obviously has no idea what he's talking about. This ought to create some awesome feedback before the next session.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JayBulworth posted:

For the Montreal goons out there, what about ADSL2+? http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=en&cont=&choix=&webmail=

They own their own equipment so they would have been one of the few ISP's in the country that would have been able to provide unlimited internet access had the CRTC ruling not been repealed.

Why didn't I know there there was independent ISPs running ADSL2+ in Montreal? Why is there so little advertising for it?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JayBulworth posted:

I didn't know about it until a co-worker told me about them myself. I'm not sure why there is so little marketing about them out there either. I think I'm going to switch when my current ISP contract runs out in April.

The only reservations I have with switching is that there is not a lot of good reviews about them and I have only been able to find one review of their ADSL2+ service.

Let me know how it goes. The thing I love about Teksavvy is that they have no contract, so it's hard to go with them since you're committed for a year.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Please tell me there's a transcript of todays hearing. I'd be very interested to see what was debated.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nomenklatura posted:

Not happy about this setup. Bell and Shaw being able to speak last gives them a MAJOR advantage for swaying the committee.

Despite the setup, this is a really good panel so far. They're definitely grinding in the fact that a cost based wholesale market would be more competative, not a retail minus

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
More proof that Macleans is the worst magazine of all time

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/02/18/the-internet-should-be-fair-not-free-to-everyone/

I especially enjoyed this part:

quote:

At issue is the ability of Internet carriers such as Bell Canada and Rogers Communications (the parent company of Maclean’s) to establish usage-based billing...

The comments are awesome.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
5mb Teksavvy in Montreal, no problems whatsoever.

My DNS is set to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. I found googles DNS to be quite bad around Montreal (404ing random websites/images and slow performance). This one I found searching for "teksavvy dns" and it's worked 100% perfectly.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Again, I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure Bell is just going to "flip a switch" on the outside box. When they did it for me they just quietly slipped a work order between my front doors and I had idea they had been there.

They came twice for me. Took 2 weeks to get phone set up, and another week for DSL.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not even a month into the new government, and Harper is already wanting to remove our online rights.

http://openmedia.ca/blog/proposed-crime-bill-makes-anonymity-and-hyperlinks-illegal-canada

quote:

Will anonymity and hyperlinks be illegal in Canada?

A new crime bill proposed by the Conservative government suggests that it could. The bill, one of several that is scheduled to be read in Parliament, would place new limits on creating hyperlinks to content considered to be illegal or to using a pseudonym online.

On the surface the idea is ridiculous. Both of these things are central to making the Internet what it is - a vehicle for citizen-centric dialogue and sharing information. Surely the government would never adopt such a position!

But during the past election campaign Stephen Harper made it clear that he intended to ram through a collection of crime bills within his first 100 days of office. These bills include, among other things, allowing government increased power to monitor your activities online. They also include a provision that would penalize people for linking to content that is considered 'hate speech' and for using names that protect their anonymity online.

These laws are meant to give police more powers to fight hate speech and harassment but as a recent Macleans article points out, they are poorly written and vague, leaving them far too open to interpretation.

While advocating and perpetuating hate should absolutely not be tolerated, the proposed crime bill does not make a distinction between people who are spreading hate and those who comment on it. Should it not be our right as citizens to be able to comment on things, regardless of their content? Restricting our ability to do so is a serious violation of our freedom of speech.

As written, the crime bill holds us responsible for the actions of other people. The content of websites on the internet changes all the time. Something that you link to today could contain hate speech tomorrow, and you have no control over that content.

This legislation will inhibit dialogues that need to happen in our society and punish people for exercising their right to freedom of speech.

Canadians need a citizen-centric and affordable internet that enables them to speak openly about issues that matter to them. It's clear that these new crime bills are taking us in the wrong direction.

This is why it is so important that we grow our Pro-Internet Community and continue to pressure the government to promote an open and affordable internet that serves the public. Together we can keep the government accountable and the internet free.

I suck at bolding so if I missed anything relevant...

Anyway, the original MacLeans article is here.
Bill information is here

Now again, this is from a MacLeans article, so expect it to be somewhat skewed.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 16, 2011

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wish TekSavvy would drop Cable lines around Montreal, instead of relying on the goddam Videotron backbone :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only reason I didn't go with them is that, at the time, they wanted a 1yr contract.

Guy I work with said they're pretty good.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is there a chance that TekSavvy will ever expand in Montreal? Something greater than a 5Mbit line would be fantastic, especially since Videotron love to rape you up the rear end with cable prices.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

Here's a tip on dealing with tech support of any sort.

Do what they ask of you, even if it involves jumping through burning hoops of some sort.

As someone who works in Tech Support, DO THIS.

I get an amazing amount of people who don't want to follow what I'm asking, even if it's just the simplest thing, and calls get dragged on for an hour when they could've been solved within 10mins.

Even if they ask for the most ridiculous thing ever, do it (I once asked a client to smell around the vents of their computer to see if it smelt weird. I was trying to diagnose why their computer would no longer turn on. Ended up being the power supply)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone on Teksavvy having issues viewing 720p or higher videos on Youtube? For the past few days, when trying to load a video, it's been lagging like all gently caress, and taking about 20-30mins to load a 7min video.

It says that it's loading from o-o.preferred.teksavvy-xcm1.v3.lscache6.c.youtube.com which, when I ping it, shows an average ping time of over 2 seconds.

Every other video host works fine, it just seems to be Youtube and 720p+ having issues.

I checked DSL Reports and it seems that some people are experiencing a similar issue in Western Canada. Seems like Montreal are also having issues :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Are you on cable or DSL? Youtube was terrible for me on DSL, but cable is perfect.

DSL. It's been fine for me up until this week.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out what's going on. Meant to call them today but hell, I have to wake up in 8hrs for work, and I haven't been sleeping well as of late (hooray insomnia!)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll give GoogleDNS a try, but the last time I tried GoogleDNS, I got worse pings than TekSavvy's DNS.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got my DNS' mixed up in the previous post. It wasn't TekSavvy DNS, it was OpenDNS, and they were fine for me before.

I tried to use GoogleDNS but they had the same lag issues as OpenDNS.

Example: Previously it was just 720p that was causing problems, but I just tried loading http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbg732G4ts (from a GBS thread) and even the 320p wasn't loading right

I just switched to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.6 and everything's working wonderfully again. Videos now load in 720p perfectly. Thanks guys!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Problem for me ended up being the DNS.

I've had no problems whatsoever since changing it.

e: Try using this program to find the best DNS for your area: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Should open up a call center in Montreal, you could fill the place up in 5 minutes (hint hint hint)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So apparently I'm unable to get DSL2 in my area, but about 4 or 5 blocks from me, my friend is. I'm in downtown Montreal (the Pepsi Forum at Atwater), she's down near the Atwater Market.

What the gently caress? Is there a way to find out which areas have been updated to DSL2?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything about how Bell is rolling out their ADSL2 lines? I checked their site to see if my area was hooked up:

By phone number, it says I wasn't able to get it and only offered the regular packages.
By address, it said I was able to get it.

I might need to call them (or Teksavvy as I'm with them) to find out what's going on there.

e: Just called Teksavvy, they confirmed that my area is now available to get ADSL2+ speeds, so I just upgraded to 16/1 :woop:

Best part is, work will cover 95% of the expense!

Migishu fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 29, 2011

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If I'm reading the new prices right (http://www.teksavvy.com/en/newprice.html), the 300mb packages have gone down in price.

I might just call up and get 25/1 DSL now since it's now LESS than 16/1 is currently

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Apparently upgrading my line from 16mb to 25mb will require me to pay the $100 startup fee again.

Why? Because Bell are claiming that it's a completely different service and that they'll have to have 2 technicians sent out to have it upgraded.

I call bullshit. I swear they're just trying to gently caress me out of another $100

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

unknown posted:

Actually true - they're switching your circuit from adsl to vdsl - different gear.

The 2 technicians thing is also true (bureaucratic mess - 1 tech could do it all).

But in the end it just sucks balls, but you'll have a better upload at least!

Yeah the Bell tech explained that to me. He was also quite confused when I said that the first tech didn't come out, even more so when all he had to do was get the bandrate updated to 16/1 profile and it all worked straight away.

I called Teksavvy about this and they said that it's possible the first tech didn't need to notify me of him working, which is kinda stupid because if there was an interruption of service without prior notification, my boss would've loving killed me.

Oh well, in 6 months time, if I get a nice tax return, I'll pay for the VDSL install. My internet (not installation) is still covered by work, so I've only had to pay $150 over the past year for my DSL connection, here's to the next 6 months!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've had intermittent connection issues over the past few weeks with my connection (Teksavvy). Every now and then the connection will completely flake out. Because I've had 3 Bell tech's come in and find problems with their service, I automatically assumed that it would be them again. I call Teksavvy, they see the line is dropping (sync issue), but asked that I test with a second modem.

It's a weird request, but it's something I'm going to try next time I see my connection go bonkers. I haven't had too many problems since that call, but I still feel that Bell hosed something up.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

I'm in downtown Montreal, I was using acanac but their rates haven't really been...competitive for awhile and I thought I'd take the dive and try Tekksavvy. Are there better options out there? I was on DSL and I'm not sure if I should switch to cable or stay with the DSL. It's certainly cheaper than what I was paying at least.

Depending where you're living, you could try ColbaNet. I've heard good things about them.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Guigui posted:

If the wiring itself is faulty (lots of static or lack of common ground) switching to a 3rd party provider may not help... It might be best to see if you can resolve the issue with Bell first (as they may not charge them for a maintenance visit) and then switch.

This, because the second you move providers, it'll be a $99 house call if they find nothing wrong.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Opioid posted:

How can they counter against the 'my wifi router isn't password protected, it wasn't me downloading that movie from this IP' argument? That raises reasonable doubt and therefore shouldn't be convicted of the crime right?

Most stories I've heard are "stiff, if you don't take the time to add security to your wireless, your problem"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A dry loop is what you use when you don't have a home telephone connection and don't want to pay for a landline. It's essentially a way for them to power your home landline to the exchange.

You don't need one if you have a landline phone number set up.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Don't they have a promo where the hookup is only $50 until the end of the year?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Videotron are pretty much terrible across the board. This comes to me as no surprise.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was looking forward to getting 25/10 when I moved to my new place. With all the messing about with the DSLAM and modems and all, I'm not sure if I want to now.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is Teksavvy only having problems in English provinces? I've never had a problem with them in Quebec, other than really long hold times and Bell's equipment at the node being poo poo (my Internet is perfect during the winter but disconnects frequently during the summer, old lines or something)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

drat :stare:

As much as I would love to see this be used as a ploy to lower the prices of current internet connections elsewhere, it'll never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was getting 7/9 at some point (paying for 20/10). The way I figured out how to fix it is to hook your modem directly up to your computer before you boot the modem up. It then detected my computer's MAC address and set me back up with 20/10 again.

I tried MAC cloning on my router but it somehow still got detected as a router being connected.

Also, for some reason, it gave me an IP address from a server in Winnipeg when detecting my router v:confused:v