Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Been using Aliant/Bell in eastern Canada for a few years now. Was with Eastlink for a long while under a bundle package (hello $5/year increases every year) pleased with service before a technical issue forced me to switch. Two months of troubleshooting my link before I threw in the towel and moved to Aliant. The service is pretty cheap if you can find a good customer service rep who actually cares to retain customers. Ended up renegotiating a $39/month unbundled package for 13Mbps/1Mbps, Eastlink wouldn't even budge on 15Mbps plan unless you take cable/phone.

Oh well once the caps come time to re-investigate moving services again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

DropDeadRed posted:

Rogers just started RAPING bandwidth here in Ottawa. I went from pulling 1.2MBit down on torrents cleanly with other applications able to work at the same time to now only being able to pull 2-300k and any time that there is any P2P running they are breaking all connections to the point where i cannot stay connected to an online game at all. Disconnected within 1 minute. It's ridiculous.

Their new "traffic management" is also impacting RDP and logmein and other business type applications.

When Eastlink implemented their P2P shaping it had the same effects on the network. The DPI service was overwhelmed and everything was unstable for a few weeks.

Also Eastlink has their P2P shaping info and rates in their AUP.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

If the caps around here(eastcoast) drop to ~60GB/month I'm going back to 1Mbit/s or whatever I can get cheap besides dial-up. Eastlink has advertised 250Gb/month on some plans and I've yet to see anything on Aliant besides the new fiberop plans.

Speaking of fiberop they had a big press release saying that a lot of Nova Scotia would be covered with fiber services of 170Mbit/s down / 30Mbit/s up. This will be fantastic that users can hit quota in less then an hour!

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Looks like Bell Canada has all the rates up: http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpInt_Access.page

Essential Plus: $21.95
Download speed: up to 2 Mbps
Upload speed: up to 800 Kbps
Internet usage: 2 GB of bandwidth per month

Performance: $31.95
Download speed: up to 6 Mbps
Upload speed: up to 1 Mbps
Internet usage: 25 GB of bandwidth per month

Fiber 6: $31.95
Download speed: up to 6 Mbps
Internet usage: 25 GB of bandwidth per month

Fiber 12: $36.95
Download speed: up to 12 Mbps
Internet usage: 50 GB of bandwidth per month

Fiber 16: $46.95
Download speed: up to 16 Mbps
Internet usage: 75 GB of bandwidth per month

Fiber 25: $52.95
Download speed: up to 25 Mbps
Upload speed: up to 7 Mbps
Internet usage: 75 GB of bandwidth per month

For $5/month extra you can add on Usage Insurance plan. The plan gives you 40 GB of extra Internet usage to your service. I cannot find any mention of the billing over cap charges yet.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

unknown posted:

The "official" pricing (the one that all mentioned wholesale discounts are applied against) has not been released. Bell et al have until March 1st to file that with the CRTC - the day UBB comes into effect. What pricing you see now is just earlier documents. Note that there's no debate on that filing, it's just the reference.

Prices I posted above are retail rates that are currently on their website.

quote:

That's how UBB made it through. Traffic shaping failed as everything went encrypted, and it started to interfere with the "golden service" - telephony.

Traffic shaping works even with encryption. There's a heuristical approach for bittorrent traffic that look at the data (if its unencrypted), that look at the http scrapes (if that's not ran via proxy), and then look at connections/ports. They can pretty much find bittorrent traffic easily because it falls outside of the "norm" of connections.

There's no reason for SSL traffic to be ~400KB/s so they could just apply a flow to it.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

unknown posted:

The prices you posted are the website prices, those prices are not the ones used in the wholesale rate calculations as they can be changed due to promotions on a daily basis. "Official" retail rates are filed with the CRTC.

Correct, sorry I was reading into it that you meant end retail prices have not been updated.

The official tariffs could be taken from the Bell Aliant filing tho?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Already mailed MP about the the provincial government here is willing to give money to Bell Aliant to expand the fiber service across Nova Scotia. If were capped at ~25-65Gb/month on UBB whats the point of deploying a 170Mbps network?

For all the big words from federal NDP we currently have a provincial NDP government supporting Bell:

http://bellaliant.ca/english/news/view_art.asp?id=2046 posted:

The Government of Nova Scotia contributed $2 million to the project to help ensure economic development opportunities for Nova Scotia with leading edge technology infrastructure.

“To ensure Nova Scotia's economy continues to grow, the province needs to remain competitive in the global economy," said Premier Darrell Dexter. "That means making sure we have the right telecommunications infrastructure in place, right across the province. This is a significant step forward in achieving that goal."

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Dudebro posted:

loving update the infrastructure then. Tax it. Just don't give a company a monopoly because then we end up with poo poo like this. How many taxpayers are there? 20 million? How much is it going to cost over 5 years to upgrade?

I'd love to see this but as a whole new infrastructure thats government owned/operated that can wholesale out the service. It's needed in this day and age like the TCH was/is needed for the public.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Bonzo posted:

So what happens to business accounts? Let's say I'm a graphic designer and I'm FTPing PSD files back and forth. Your average working from home person is not going to have a full T1 line or something.

Business accounts are exempt, its targeted at residential service/access only.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Interesting sidenote, one of the local ISP's (Bell Aliant) made some changes today to their plans drastically reducing new subscriber fees and adding this nice bit:

http://bit.ly/hBeHOg posted:

Exclusive access to Bell Aliant’s Video on Demand content library, including the latest movie & DVD trailers, coverage of local events, live Atlantic Canadian concerts & sports coverage and much more

No mention of UBB yet.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/27/technology-internet-usage-based-billing-mezei.html posted:

The federal government is being formally asked to overturn a CRTC decision that will force smaller internet service providers to charge similar usage-based fees as Bell, Rogers and Shaw.

Jean-François Mezei, a Montreal-based computer consultant, filed a petition to the Governor in Council late Wednesday, asking the government to overrule an October decision by Canada's telecommunications regulator.

Excellent, now if it gains some traction.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

whiskas posted:

Today, most images are in the 1000's of pixels when it comes to resolution, and HD video content can be over 400kbps. So with 1GB of space, you'll get maybe 2 videos, and a couple hundred photos.

Some sites have 1080p on their content so for 1GB were talking 10mins max.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

DaNzA posted:

Lastly there's an article on ars talking about NZ is also funding and building a nationwide fibre network that will cover 75% of the population by 2020. Good for them and I think the way they are doing it is brilliant.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/75-of-new-zealanders-to-get-100mbps-fiber-by-2020.ars

That's amazing and done really well. I'd be proud to see the Canadian government do the same.

:canada:

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

If you are going to sit here and spout the same old bullshit over and over again without even acknowledging that there may be some validity in caps then I'm just going to quit posting.

There is some validity in caps, the problem is pushing the 25GB cap which is less then we had a decade ago.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

I agree. Way too low. But to try an abolish caps all together is not the answer.

Too bad the telco's decided that was the acceptable cap with their current infrastructure. This also throws out any faith I have they are at capacity.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

fishmech posted:

There's no validity in caps really, if what you actually want is reducing congestion. They're a great money maker though.

Hence the validity in the caps! If you meter out your service two ways and have a way to force overage charges who wouldn't jump at that. The world and technology has moved past it as a way to relieve the infrastructure.

If they are looking to relieve congestion it's already in place with DPI and P2P shaping. It exists on residential service, works quiet effectively, and has effect against a huge swath of the major congestion.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

A nice link from Cisco that I grabbed from another ISP forum I frequent.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/Cisco_VNI_Usage_WP.html

31% increase in traffic over the last year... drat.

What's more interesting is the upstream in residential has been decreasing over the past four years.

quote:

The application mix of upstream traffic has shifted so that while over 70 percent of upstream traffic was due to P2P in early 2007, today less than 60 percent of upstream is P2P. The slack has been taken up by the growth of video in the upstream.
Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing is now 25 percent of global broadband traffic, down from 38 percent last year, a decrease of 34 percent. While still growing in absolute terms, P2P is growing more slowly than visual networking and other advanced applications.

This is pretty shocking to me as P2P was always the goto blame for bandwidth consumption. So the biggest consumers of bandwidth that has exploded is streaming video. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what traffic was sourced to local CDN devices as now its up to the ISP/CDN/providers to play ball.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Rand McNally posted:

Are we still doing these? I'm paying $60/mo for this, plus an $8 MSN Premium fee that they won't take off no matter what I do (never activated it, btw).

Had the same sort of fee with bell aliant and an additional $10/month no phone line service fee. Argued and threaten to cancel and got it all waived, they still messed up the billing for two months but thankfully they fixed it all up and credited the previous billing error.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Welp. Just got an email from TekSavvy; starting in March my internet access goes from unmetered to 25GB/mo (with additional bandwidth available at $5/mo per 40GB). And I'm out in the K-W area, so I'm outside TekSavvy cable coverage.

Sucks man. Made a change to my plan last summer before the CRTC filings were pretty much public knowledge so i'm unable to be grandfathered in either. Have no idea how I'm going to fit inside the 25GB/month cap, probably just have to purchase an unmetered business plan.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So looks like the liberals have weighed in, guess emailing my Liberal MP helped out :)

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing-clement-garneau.html posted:

"We consider this decision to be anti-competitive, because it does penalize the small internet service providers," said Marc Garneau, Liberal technology critic and MP for Westmount-Ville Marie, Monday.

"We hope that the current government will review the CRTC decision and reverse it."

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

less than three posted:

Shaw hosted CDN.

Of course they don't differentiate between local and transit traffic, so they're adding 24GB to my meter even though the content is hosted locally. :argh:

This is what ticks me off about this whole metering is that blame for huge bandwidth consumption such as Netflix is all CDN based that has to be fanned out to most ISP's. If a major ISP in this day and age isn't hosting a bunch of CDN's on their local network for say Microsoft updates(Akamai) they are absolutely insane.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

One thing that got me angry was when mentioned about why the 25GB cap was "well bell residential users already have 25GB caps so we thought it was fair to force the resellers to abide by the same"

I'm on Bell and I have ZERO cap limitations, if this was the honest truth why is there in the CRTC filings grandfather clauses for bell residential customers with an absurd cutoff date (2007)

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

PhancyPants posted:

What is the GAS rate that's being referred to here?

Gateway Access Service, its where the customer links at the CO and switches from modem/copper to a routable point on the internal network with the big telcos.

For someone like Primus they use the copper/DSLAM at bell but instead of routing onto bell's internal network it links to Primus.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

WTF TV does congests the DSLAM, the questioner is so close to getting it alas it fails.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

ahahhaha draconian is metering on peak hours only. But full time metering is ok.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Parachute Underwear posted:

"What if smaller ISPs started using plans promoting non-peak hours to download?"

"Yeah but then regular users would have to pay for the peak hour bandwidth!!!"

And thats not FAIR! It's funny tho where the questioner was going with off peak usage that power companies deal with.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Just admitted that congestion is not in the last mile but upstream past CO.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

New email from Netflix tonight:

quote:

Dear Viktor,

Starting today, watching movies & TV shows in Canada will use 2/3 less data on average with minimal impact to video quality. For example, watching 30 hours of Netflix movies & TV shows will only use 9 GB of data, well below most Canadian ISP data caps. Previously, 30 hours from Netflix typically used 31 GB.

Why the change? We know that many of our Canadian members have monthly Internet data caps. This new default account setting will significantly reduce the amount of data Netflix delivers to you each month.

You now also have the ability to manage how much data Netflix delivers to you. Visit Your Account to adjust your settings anytime you want. Regardless of which setting you choose –– Netflix is still only $7.99 a month.

As always, we will continue to innovate and try new things to ensure Netflix is a great experience without high data use. If you have any questions, please call us at 1-866-923-1277.

–Your friends at Netflix

By default they have lowered the quality to non HD by default but you can crank it back up.

See the page http://ca.netflix.com/HdToggle while logged in.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Maple street gotta stop streaming netflix! All these street analogies over bandwidth is disconcering because they still haven't sorted out where the congestion is. They keep moving it, or throwing in other exceptions.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Why hasn't the CRTC thrown these arguments out. It's quite obvious they keep moving the issue around to different parts of the network depending on the how they want to propose more issues. They should of came in with highly detailed info-graphs defining how the interconnects work and where the issues are.

The CRTC council is totally confused and even asking "whats the Y axis represent" on submitted cable utilization graphs that have no bearing "It's a graph that shows the a peak but its in no way showing node exhaustion".

It's really going to be a bad ruling, it's just down to how much the resellers are going to get gouged and trickle down to the consumer.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

I must of missed it but they haven't explained it but for anyone confused by the "midnight madness sales" they mean off peak no metering. So say 1am-6am any traffic would not count towards your monthly cap.

It's mind boggling they are trying move consumer habits as the huge issue this day and age is video streaming, not P2P/downloads.

Edit: Oh hey Bell, here's CISCO forcasting Canadian traffic.

quote:

In Canada, IP traffic will grow 3-fold from 2010 to 2015, a compound annual growth rate of 26%.
In Canada, Internet video traffic will be 58% of all consumer Internet traffic in 2015, up from 24% in 2010.
Video exceeds half of Canada's consumer Internet traffic by year-end 2011.

It's really what Bell is fighting to kill off as IPTV uses the same physical network but not counted.

Viktor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 19, 2011

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

He always sounds like if he hasn't convinced the CRTC that Bell deserves to make more money, he's going to get fired.

If that's just how he talks, strange. If it's real, he deserves every penny he gets.

Nothing is acceptable to Bell, and your lucky they even show up :colbert:

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

I'm too scared to change from this (unlimited) DSL package at $39.99/month to the FiberOP here in Atlantic Canada. Friends who are on it see almost the 30/30Mbps testing during prime-time, humm my apartment has the option for 170Mbps/30Mbps. What scares me is the cost changes after 90 days to a fair market value which in the small detail can be set at any cost at any time by Bell Aliant, also in the AUP general accepted bandwidth usage is 250GB/month.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Vaginal Engineer posted:

They make billing errors like this all the time. You should be able to check your usage for previous months with them too (I think they have a tool to do this online). If what you're saying is correct your internet usage likely went up by over 50% and I imagine you would be aware of that sort of thing.

Yeah, mine went up almost 100% but I missed it for a month. They decided that my promotional pricing had ran out which was a 12 month deal after questioning why it happened 8 months into the plan they said it was from the beginning of the year. I got offered nothing in the deal besides the cancellation department's $5 off the full tier pricing.

I went from a $39/month per year contract to $69/month overnight.

Called Teksavvy and switched to a half the speed plan but its $51/month no contract, hopefully it works out better.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So ordered Teksavvy two weeks ago with a 29th install date for the dry loop. Switching from Bell Aliant dry loop service so they could only do it on the termination of service day. So the installer from bell today took 10-15mins due to the easy switch. Provisioned the circuit and tested it with no issues but here's the kicker, Teksavvy didn't ship my modem.

Called them yesterday to see where the modem was(expected delivery) that took 30mins on hold trying to sort out my order and then said they would call me back at my account number. Nothing. Called again today and on hold 40min trying to sort it out and I might have a modem next week.

They are changing my billing interval for first day of service but it's still a bad messup as I use the connection for work.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

whatupdet posted:

I forgot that Bell for us (NL) is different from Bell on the mainland. We're under Bell Aliant and they offer 50/30, 80/30, 175/30 and 250/30 all uncapped whereas your packages are different and impose caps which sucks. I just so happened to get a very sweet deal as my buddy who works with Bell was going around trying to poach Rogers customers and gave us an awesome package which as mentioned includes 80/30 uncapped, home phone with province-wide or nationwide free long distance, FibreOP TV with 3 theme packs and PVR all for $99/mth no contract. Checking out the website, new customers would get a similar package for 3 months before the price increases to about $160.

Bell (Aliant) FibreOP in Halifax are very competitive against Eastlink. There are independent "dealers" that are going door to door with a variety of offers. Bell locks in the cost/term length at their sale price then reverts to the full term price.

I've seen deals of 6 months for $99 with a $200 gift cards to $119 for 24 months no contract both for the "Better" (80/30, HDTV+PVR, phone) bundle.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So got FibreOp setup yesterday in our new apartment. Setup was simple as the unit has a FTTP panel and CAT5 drops in every room. The STB are all on CAT5 in each room. The the ONT is Alcantel-Lucent with a UPS and the home router is a Actiontec R1000H

(on wifi with one STB running)

The Actiontec is doing some routing for the STB VLAN's so I don't think I can pull it out but we're going to turn off its wifi and put a 5ghz router behind it. It only has a 2.4Ghz and in an apartment building it's kinda useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Any other Canadian ISP's doing popups on copyrighted material yet? Eastlink is currently delivering popups on content links and sending out warning letters to people actively downloading material.

Eastlink's info on C-11: http://www.eastlink.ca/billc11.aspx