Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Wow even the bell fiber stuff has bandwidth a month, the telus stuff isn't even metered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Ceyton posted:

At least the USA has pockets of good service here and there. Show me a place in Canada where I can get a fiber circuit to my house for less than the equivalent of a full-time salary. Or even a 20+ mbps unmetered connection.

Here in BC telus offers their Optik which is either 19/1 or 25/3 it isn't capped and doesn't have and bandwidth limits.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

Yeah, and it's about the same price as Shaw's lovely 15/1 (125GB) plan that never gave me speeds over 7Mbps.

I've tested my connection many times and i always get my 19/1. But i also use it for their TV service and i am able to record the 2 HD channels and 1 SD channel at the same time.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

less than three posted:

Optik™ High Speed
Download/Upload Usage: 100 GB/month
Additional Download/Upload Usage: $2/additional GB used

They're playing the same game as Shaw. Listed limits, but currently not enforced. (And less bandwidth and double the overage rate of Shaw, too.)

Do you honestly think the moment Shaw turns on metering, Telus won't follow suit?

Yes it says that but it doesn't track it at all on their web page. No traffic what so ever so it nothing is there you can't be billed for it. Anyways it might be because i have the tv stuff too that they aren't monitoring it.

Its like this for every month. I've easily used 200-300 gigs from downloading stuff from steam the first few months and i haven't heard a thing from them or had an overages billed.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 9, 2010

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Its always had the 720p movies for me.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

So I just signed up for the Telus Optik High Speed + TV bundle, free PVR rental and XBOX 360. Since I'm paying $57 a month now to shaw for their xtreme-I (15Mbit) paying telus $60 for their 15Mbit and their basic cable seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Hope it doesn't suck! It'll be neat to use a set top box with somewhat modern looking menus and useful features for a change, though.

The set top box has a much better interfaces then shaws. the only thing is dont set too many shows to record in prime internet using time or you get sub dsl speeds when doing stuff.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

SeventySeven posted:

Follow up to my Telus install: I plugged my computer directly in to the router and my speeds basically doubled from 6Mbit to about 13Mbit. So I guess the wireless on the Actiontec router is kind of poo poo. Either that or I could try change the channel or something, because my building is saturated with wireless signals (downtown :w00t:). It's not a huge deal because I was planning on running ethernet to everywhere it was needed anyway and for $15/month I can't bitch too much.

Also I'm glad you're reporting a lovely ping on speedtest.net too. I noticed mine was about 150ms which I thought was terrible.

Your Telus guy didn't splice the telephone wires into a home network for you? The installer did that for 4 rooms when i had mine installed.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

less than three posted:

I'm on Telus Optik Turbo and occasionally I still have to buffer when watching HD on Youtube. Speeds are fine at the same time to any other site, so I think it's more an issue on Youtube's end rather than Teksavvy/Telus.

Well since its regional it might just one of the local mirrors.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm probably gonna get Teksavvy's dry-loop DSL set up in my new condo when I move in a few weeks. $10.22 is the band rate for my area, so $56.69 all in for the unlimited bandwidth package.

What sucks though, is that I'll have to take a goddamn day off work to meet the Bell technician at my place, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.

Oh well, I see no other options for internet around here (Cambridge, ON) - screw Bell, screw Rogers, Yak isn't in my area and I've heard terrible things about Acanac

Regarding modems, will the TP-Link TD-8816 work just fine? They're like $25 and Teksavvy wants $75 for the Speedtouch 516.

Doesn't look like it they only have the 3 modems on their page and they wont likely support others but it looks like the support a lot of different kinds of cable modems.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Yea those prices are still dumb. I can buy bulk bandwidth at my datacenter for a quarter of that price.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

So I finally got around to logging into my Telus (optik tv+internet) account to setup payment plans etc, and I was checking out the Usage stats.

There are none, it's all 0.00 GB used for each of the time periods. Are they just not switching it on or do you have to hit the 100GB ceiling then it goes live? Or is it more of a "eh, we could turn this on one day but for now gently caress it" type of thing?

No i don't believe that tracking has ever worked i've had the service for ~8 months now and i've definitely gone over the limit and my traffic has never gone above 0.00 gb.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Ah that's nice. Are they like shaw was, if there is someone using a large chunk of bandwidth they call them up first rather than just applying charges automatically?

Yea and you have to go over 3 months before they even bother you, with shaw that is. I dont know their policy about overages and billing.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

Alright, home issues solved (yay), new issue arises.

I'm switching to University of Manitoba for one year. They do all the usual Teh Stoopid™ like having Aramark the shittiest food provider ever, so I'm going to just go an assume without having to look that their residence internet is kneecapped like crazy as well.

Problem being is there doesn't seem to be a good ISP for Winnipeg in general, even looking on the canadianisp.ca site. Any Goons can help a fellow out on the search for non-poo poo internet again?

(Honestly, what happened, did Homicidipeg scare them all away?)

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=115&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop/dsl look good for the price.

There are more then a few of those in the peg.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

It's capped, so gently caress them, I refuse to support the practice anymore.

Okay well these guys have uncapped.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=67&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop is a really good deal if thats a true 5mbit.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

drcru posted:

Did anyone else's Telus bill go up this month?

Yea it looks like they did something loving shady as poo poo.

They upped the month charges for Optik high speed services $2 and added a back dated charge for last month on this months bill and did a $3 charge for their "essentials" optik tv charge.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

drcru posted:

I don't even have Optik TV, they charged me an extra $1.30+ and then my bill did look higher too. I usually only pay ~$80/month for homephone and 15MB/1MB (which really only gets 12/0.4..) but this month it was ~$85.

Login you the telus.com website and look at your current bill internet price.

see if there is a charge like that and then click up top and click previous bill and see if the base price for the service is different.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 11, 2011

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

fishmech posted:

Why is the upload speed still under a megabit?

Because uploading is for pirates.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Does anyone know if Telus is actively improving Optik service in areas? I'd like to bump up to the 25Mb "Turbo" but it wasn't available when I had it installed.

Mostly so I can record or watch 2 HD channels at the same time :argh:

2HD and 1SD is the standard 15/1 optik

If you got to your tv and click menu system info and then connection info it should tell you the supported streams.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would be happy or content with $60 internet that has to be bundled with television.

Different Strokes for... yeah.

Because the only other option is telus which is $40 internet bundled with tv.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Vehementi posted:

I threw together a speadsheet comparing ISPs available in Vancouver (that I know of)

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=td-Y0JFhwUTnlPiLwoiTX_g&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0

I'm currently with Novus and sent this to them, imploring them to adjust their rates to match Shaw's new packages (whose bang/buck is currently about 40% better) so that I won't have to switch to Shaw.

Some 5000 people are looking at this spreadsheet.

You dont have the telus optik or the Teksavvy options their cable ones are quite good compared to shaws prices.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 9, 2011

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Vehementi posted:

No it's just anonymous user #5000 :)

Oh yeah, and if you read the fine print on shaw's "bump you up to the next package" thing, they will bump you up to the next package for the remainder of the month, but charge you the full price difference between packages, as if you had been on that other package the whole time, instead of the prorated difference. gently caress shaw forever

They teksavvy cable options are much better then shaws in terms of price point btw you should put those there.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Vehementi posted:

Is that available in Vancouver? I checked my postal code and it said No. Is it these listings? http://www.teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp -> Cable

Make sure you change your province to BC, it was available at my house yes.

edit: you just put in the ontario rates bc ones are different.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Hmm looking at the Shaw 100mbps prices is quite tempting since I already have cable.

But now I've realized that my wrt54gl can only do about 50mbps down. Any suggestions for a router that supports 250mbps (for future proofing) down and also works with ddwrt or tomato?

Wireless or wired?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Ideally it would have some sort of wifi but speed is not important on that part. All the actual PC's are wired. We'd just use wifi for phones and the laptop for light surfing duties.
Any generic gigabit router would work then just make sure the wires in the wall are gigabit.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Tagra posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Teksavvy chat with something about Telus :barf: but I live out in the sticks and Telus/Shaw are literally the only options I have.

I've been stuck on a 3mb Telus line which was the max for the area, and they just upgraded all the lines in the area to bring Optik in. I can now upgrade to 6mb for free which will be nice, or possibly upgrade to something faster for more cash monthly... but I was looking at the Optik plans and it actually seems like it would work out to be cheaper to ditch our bundled satellite and get the Optik TV/Internet mix, upgrading to 25mb which would probably blow our minds after 3mb all these years.

What is the opinion of Optik, besides being Telus? I've heard that if you have your TV on you basically can't use the internet, but I can never tell if that's a serious complaint or if it's something like :qq: "my 25mb internet is only getting 19mb while the TV is on" :qq:

Yea no its fine. You can record 2 hd tv shows 1 sd channel and still have about 10mbit left over for internet, atleast thats what i have here on on that plan.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Tom Swift posted:

I'm in Vancouver and need a Internet Service Provider want to do Xbox Live and a lot of browsing with Moderate downloading. What's my best option/price?

Depends where in vancouver but likely if you dont want TV service tekksavvy.

Make sure you choose bc as your province as each province has differnet speeds and rates. The cable packages are the best speed/prices.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

random nickname posted:

It's CRTC in Canada. I wonder if there's a Consumerist equivalent in Canada though?

Anyways, the number is the generic customer service number for Telus. Just call them up and tell them you don't want any more marketing calls.

Actually, if you're on a Do Not Call List, shouldn't they get fined for every call? Record every time they call you, you might be able to get something out of it. I seem to remember someone on Consumerist saying they got like $500 from a company violating the DNCL.

If you had a "previous" business relationship with them its "legal" for them to call until you tell them to knock it the gently caress off.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Tagra posted:

I was dicking around with the Telus site to see my bundle options for upgrading, and apparently even though Optik TV is available for my address, Optik internet is not?

... aren't they kind of the same thing?

They are the same thing but they are bundled services and you can't buy one without the other.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

triplexpac posted:

What kind of upload speed should I be expecting from Teksavvy cable internet? Right now I have 26 down and 0.9 up.

That really depends on your province. Check the http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp for your province and see if the numbers your paying for match. Anywhere around 80-90% of max is normal.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Drakkus posted:

Yeah, should be 'fairly?' soon. I can't give a timeframe because I don't have one, but it'll be soon. We're hugely short on SMCs and nobody likes those anyway, so I'd expect it to be in the wild pretty quickly. The model number isn't public, but, seriously, the list of docsis 3 cable modem + routers that cisco provides is a really short one. Really short.

Also, the Motorola doscis 3 modems are, officially speaking, out. They may still end up in homes here and there due to swaps or returns, but as a rule, it'll be the SMC. (for now).

As an aside, I would straight up recommend, without hesitation, that anyone here if you've got an SMC, get it bridged and use your own router. If you're cheap, grab a wrt54g and put dd-wrt on it or something. You won't get 100 megs, but it'd be worth it. If you're having trouble with reps getting it bridged, PM me and I'll do it.

Edit: I'm Shaw Staff. Not an official Rep, not an official statement. Yadda yadda.

Are the moto modems not good or something? is there a reason they are not using them anymore?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

kuddles posted:

It entirely has to do with supply. (TekSavvy no longer offers them either.) Motorola stopped making the SB6120 ages ago, and planned on replacing it with the SB6121 immediately. For various reasons, production of the SB6121 was delayed for months and then they seem to have had other issues ever since because they've been incapable of keeping up with demand.

Well those are the only modems available here in bc when i ordered so its why i ask. I'm supposed to have one of those shipped here.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Well after dealing with tekksavvy for 2 days on orders i can't even believe i bothered with this. Now i'm out $300 i wont have service for upto 2 weeks and i get a lovely old modem that i will have to throw away in a year. Really there is no reason at all to bother with this company.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

One bad thing happens, we don't have the full details of either side, and we're supposed to abandon a great company? Sorry, not happening.

1 bad thing? no there was a series of 4 bad things.

I was supposed to get a dociss 3 modem and now i'm going to be stuck with a SB5102

They went ahead and billed me for that modem and said oh you should get a credit the next bill. Because on my original order i was getting a different one.

It was supposed to be installed tomorrow ish, now its delayed upto 2 weeks and they'll get back to me.

And the tech that did all that didn't even bother to try to phone me to explain what in the hell was going on. I saw a few emails go by and one said they couldn't get a hold of me despite the fact i had my phone beside me the entire time.

Just a really shady loving company.

I never had any of these issues with telus or shaw despite the gently caress they are both shithole companies.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

We added some new high speed packages.

What ontario only?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

What really surprised me about that crtc thing is that shaw and telus said yea its no big deal with just upgrade our stuff.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

drcru posted:

There wasn't a Cable/Digital TV thread so I guess I'll put this here.

Just got a letter from Shaw telling me they'll give me a new digital box to replace my DCT 2000. Anyone hear anything about this? I want to know what they'll be replacing it with.

Ah as far as i can tell a dct2000 is just a viewier no recording so it would likely be their default one which is a dct 700

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

"Netflix is eating up too much Internet."

http://business.financialpost.com/2011/07/15/shaw-launches-netflix-rival-angers-ubb-critics/

"But you can use Shaw Movie Club and never have to worry about data caps!"

Shaw and telus both never complained in those sessions about netflix or ubb. Just so you know.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

It's still anticompetitive bullshit.

Yes that is but wouldn't the single rents of their VOD stuff count too because those also dont count against your data cap.

And after reading some articles it says that its only available to shaw customers which means it wouldn't reach the anti-competitive level because no one else can use it.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 15, 2011

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Shaw is by no means the worst monster in this, but they were also the second company after Bell to implement UBB immediately after the CRTC ruling in November.

iirc as far back as 5 years ago they have had posted limits on data. I dont really see data caps especially when they offer unlimited plans as a big deal. But they also aren't the ones complaining about guys like tekksavvy and needing to charge them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Godinster posted:

Got an email from Shaw, now they've got a 50 megabit connection for about 50 bucks a month which isn't bad. I wish we had TekSavvy in the area but I can't even get Telus Optik right now in my apartment. I actually quite like Shaw's speeds in the area too.

The only Bad thing about shaws services as far as i can tell is that it will always be bundled with cable tv you can't get internet without paying $30 a month for lovely tv.