Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Arsten posted:

Second, without those funds to contribute to campaigns, the little guys will still be shut out. Loop holes in the law will be written that allow the telcos special priveledges, which means they can offer their service at 1/2 the cost of anyone else. They'll never get moved from the current "Evil Monopoly" status.

You don't have to be Ayn Rand to realize that the unintended consequence of tighter government controls in these contexts is almost always increased dominance by a smaller number of firms via regulatory capture and rent seeking.

As a silly but true example, McDonalds benefits relative to small local eateries from laws requiring nutritional information. Food is very expensive to test for nutritional content, and it has to be re-tested every time the recipe changes or a new item is added. Huge conglomerates can afford it. Little guys can't. So despite the law being intended to reveal just how unhealthy fast food is, consumers don't tend to care that much - and in the meantime small healthy restaurants become just that much harder for their owners to keep open.

Mutatis mutandis, and suddenly you're stuck with one or two terrible broadband choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU