Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
This is all an **AA ploy to get people to count their bytes and discourage them from seeding their torrents, finally leading to the end of online piracy forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I don't even care how many hours worth of tv or games are represented by such and such giabytes. If I pay monthly for a 1MB connection, my cap should be 1MB*60s*60m*24h*30d = 2.6TB

ie. the only way I could conceivably beat my cap is by somehow abusing my account with 2 connections or something.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Since when did youtube start with this poo poo?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
The writeup is really informative, but it's pretty long. It doesn't seem to me that anyone would be willing to read any more than a few sentences of a letter to an MP.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

ZShakespeare posted:

I agree. I'm definitely switching to Teksavvy once I stop getting these sweet student deals from Shaw. $24/mo for 100GB @ 15Mbits is a great deal (for Canada) any way you slice it.

please elaborate on how you got this Shaw deal my good man

Shaw is always superduper unwilling to bend on their rates whenever I give them a call to see if they will match or beat MTS (their only competitor in MB).

Pweller fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 3, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Vergeh posted:

youtube link
Less bandwidth, plus transcribed audio, which is always comedy gold.

I was not aware of the transcription feature, haha it's not even close.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Not Canadian internet exactly, but AT&T is going to start implementing usage caps,
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/13/atandt-will-cap-dsl-u-verse-internet-and-impose-overage-fees/

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Spam Drops 1/3 After Rustock Botnet Gets Crushed

quote:

For reference, toward the end of 2010, Rustock had been responsible for as much as 47.5% of all spam, sending approximately 44.1 billion e-mails per day, according to MessageLabs stats.

Evtim posted:

Excellent! So they can drop all attempts to regulate the bandwidth. After all we just got 30% wider pipe, did we not?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Just got a Shaw mailer for a pretty good deal,

Extreme Internet (25/2.5 Mbps)
Basic cable w HD channels & HDPVR
$36/month for 6 months

Except that it's got a sweet sweet 100GB monthly cap on the internet. What to do...

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Martytoof posted:

What is their overage policy? Capped fee, or open ended at like $10/mb?

I'm trying to phone to get some details, but the number on the flyer is down, the contact section of the website is down, and the google cached tech support number is 'experiencing higher than expected call volumes."

Maybe everyone else just checked their mail ten minutes ago too.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Just finally got through, was 1 of the only 2 agents I've ever had answer my calls to Shaw over the past couple years which is crazy haha... used to be a Shaw customer, on and off, have switched back and forth for deals etc. Must only be the two sales reps in their call centre over in Calgary lol.

Her story was that Shaw does not currently charge for overages, since they are not allowed by the CRTC to do so. If you go over your monthly allowance for 3 consecutive months, they will mail you a letter (not sure if email or post, who cares) to let you know and offer the chance to upgrade to a higher internet package. If you keep going over without upgrading they will possibly eventually suspend your account.

The offer I mentioned above comes with 3 digital boxes, one of which is HD with PVR.
Promo code 979 if anyone else is interested.

I will probably switch from the only other game in town, which I'm currently getting pretty gouged by, unless I can figure out how to get America Netflix and its Disney channel shows for my kid :argh:, in which case gently caress Shaw and their future-UBB.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Junubee posted:

MTS doesn't have a literal cap, just a suggestive one, and it works well. I've been using them for years.

Wtf I didn't realize that... just checked and they have the exact same package levels as Shaw. Sucks not having any other options.

StealthArcher, I'm pretty sure Shaw offers some sort of $15 internet deal for students. If you're in res though I'm pretty sure you don't have any choice.
U of M campus internet is actually pretty awesome. Free wifi all over campus with good speeds. You shouldn't have any problems.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

StealthArcher posted:

5GB each up/down

Per MONTH.

gently caress that.

I mean good god, Alberta only gave you 1 up/down per day, but at least their IT was incompetent and I regularly got away with 20+

This is in rez or the Shaw student plan? Which building?
I'm pretty sure you can download to your hearts content in EITC or UC across the street.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Canadian independent ISP owner describes how she was forced out of business by Telus and the CRTC's failure to investigate their illegal activities.
video here

I don't know anything about the legal issues involved, but it sounds like it was pretty devastating for her.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Looks like they're looking for a couple senior network engineers right now,
http://teksavvy.com/en/employment.asp

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

YggiDee posted:

I'm not certain where else I should be asking this, but I am curious; is it possible to get DSL in an apartment complex? I suppose a better question would be what is DSL? Pardon my ignorance, I'm just not very clear on how the different varieties of online services differ. DSL seems like a far better deal for the price but I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into something over my head.

Pretty sure all you need is a regular old phone line if your neighbourhood is set up for DSL service.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Decent Shaw mailer today,

$15/mo for 6 months - Extreme Internet (25Mbps down)
$15/mo for 6 months - Digital Basic TV with HDPVR + Basic HD channels
$15/mo for 6 months - Home Phone Basic
Promo 920

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Michael Geist files Access to Information request into CRTC's net neutrality enforcement history lately. Discovers many complaints, minimal CRTC response.

Canada's Net Neutrality Enforcement Failure

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

jizzpowered posted:

CRTC hearing going on now with Bell

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/streaming/stream1-eng.htm

I've never listened to one of these before... so awkward... and smarmy from time to time.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Sounds like Rogers basically just conceded that they never really reach peak/saturated network usage to any end-user area of the network, in a convoluted way. Gut feeling is they're trying to confuse with technical semantics. I just tuned in but the questioning seems to be very good.

e: this guy's (crtc chairman?) accent is great, I hope he has some sort of 'Professor' title or something

Pweller fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 18, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Space Cadet posted:

I live in Winnipeg and maybe it is some sort of installer shangrila but are there honestly multi-month waiting lists? When we first moved in we called MTS 2 days before and they were there on day one, later when we switched to shaw it was next day. The longest we have ever had to wait for a service call is 2 days unless service was out altogether and then it was same day. I can't imagine either ISP taking that long, but perhaps it is because we still have a provider choice that they hustle the way they do. I feel badly when I read some of these delay/horror stories.

Shaw has always been next day but I had to wait 2+ weeks in November for MTS.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Probably doesn't have two thirty foot cables. And a female-to-female adapter.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Plenty of controversy surrounding the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), to be signed this Saturday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
That is quite possibly the worst haircut I've seen on a grown man.