Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«34 »
Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

So discouraged, infact, I will be ordering an airbag kit tomorrow.

I don't mean to piss in your "Wheaties" but how is this O.K. to do when you won't paint it because you want to preserve it in some sort of original condition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Airbags can be reversed, say if i dont like them, i can just put the normal springs back in and call it a day. Ill be left with a few drilled holes and possibly re-located shocks.. but nothing that would drastically change the car permanently.

Its not like you can just pull a paint job off and replace the old one...

Delivery McGee
Oct 8, 2004

Bad Angus! Bad!

LobsterboyX posted:

Vinyl wrap. You should look into that, could be awesome (expensive, though).

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

I already vinyl'd parts of my station wagon... I love how my cadillac looks, I suppose its an acquired taste.

I did not order the bag kit yet, im planning on doing that either today or tomorrow.

On friday I "rattle trapped" the entire back of the car.

In doing that, i cleaned out a lot of old insulation from the back and front, I didnt wear a respirator and it got me really, really sick. Im finally starting to recover. big lesson learned, again.

Did some other stuff but forgot to take pictures.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

Airbags can be reversed, say if i dont like them, i can just put the normal springs back in and call it a day. Ill be left with a few drilled holes and possibly re-located shocks.. but nothing that would drastically change the car permanently.

Reversible yes, but it's still something akin to adding moustaches to fine artwork with a china marker because "it comes right off!" Sure you can un-do it, but it will be horrendously tacky while it's done. Just my $0.02.

Is there anything specifically injurious in the old insulation, or is it just nasty fine particulates?

Bulldozer
Nov 12, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

So discouraged, infact, I will be ordering an airbag kit tomorrow.
Yes! Finally.

Delivery McGee
Oct 8, 2004

Bad Angus! Bad!

Red_October_7000 posted:

Is there anything specifically injurious in the old insulation, or is it just nasty fine particulates?

Mostly the latter to cause the immediate effects, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had asbestos in it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

quote:

Reversible yes, but it's still something akin to adding moustaches to fine artwork with a china marker because "it comes right off!" Sure you can un-do it, but it will be horrendously tacky while it's done. Just my $0.02.

dayum.

Ive heard that by 58 they had phased out most of the asbestos inside the car, its more prevalent in 20s and 30s cars. The batting I removed from the vents seemed to be a fiberglass type pack and the other stuff seemed to be a tar cloth type thing. Although now I think it was something else, because my girlfriend is sick now too...

and...

yup, its on its way.

I also went and met Mr. Ricecop69 and worked out some details about straightening out the rear tail light with only minimal paint loss and NO paint. My girlfriend is a very talented scenic painter and i have no doubt she'll be able to fake it in.

I also just spent WAY too much money on a period correct license plate set. Here in CA, we have a YOM program that basically states you can put the correct kind of plate on your car as long as you have a good matched set WITH the correct year sticker on it.

basically as far as cali plates goes heres how weird this gets

code:
1946 California License Plates used a 1945 base plate with a metal 46 tab
1947 California License Plates were a new base plate
1948 California License Plates used 1947 base plates with metal 48 tabs
1949 California License Plates used 1947 base plates with metal 49 tabs
1950 California License Plates used 1947 base plates with metal 50 tabs
1951 California License Plates were a new base plate
1952 California License Plates used 1951 base plates with metal 52 tabs
1953 California License Plates used 1951 base plates with metal 53 tabs
1954 California License Plates used 1951 base plates with a metal 54 tab
1955 California License Plates used 1951 base plates with a metal 55 tab
1956 California License Plates were a new base plate
1957 California License Plates used 1956 base plates with 1957 sticker
1958 California License Plates used 1956 base plates with 1958 sticker
1959 California License Plates used 1956 base plates with 1958 sticker
1960 California License Plates used 1956 base plates with 1960 sticker
1961 California License Plates used 1956 base plates with 1961 sticker
1962 California License Plates used 1956 base plates with 1962 sticker
1963 California License Plates were a new base plate
these are not the ones i bought, but you can get a baseline on how dealers gouge the gently caress out of them. especially ones with stickers from before 62, meaning the car that they were on had to be pulled from the streets in 57, 58, 59, 60 and 61.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/632624...ia-Auto-License

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...-All-Categories

The only good aspect of this is that i already have this gem:

which is actually from the original dealership the car came from.

Its going to take me some time to recover from this little spending spree i just went on, but eventually id love to find a set of 47 plates with 48 tag.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

It's not in the same league as the stuff you guys show off, but I bought a cheap 1959 Schaub-Lorenz Goldy 59 radio of an auction site. Looked in good condition and was working. It arrived today:

Makes me sad that it survived and worked for 50 years or so, just to be shat on by poor handling by the delivery company. Oh and yes, that's glass.

Fart Pipe
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Awww man, that's a drat shame. It makes me sad when something like that will never be the same again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

At least they destroyed it by accident:
http://consumerist.com/2012/01/payp...for-refund.html

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

I bet someone out there will have that piece of glass... ill do some looking.

I would take it up with the seller, perhaps he didnt package it that well?

it is a real shame to see that.

that whole violin thing makes me sick, who is paypal to "order something destroyed"

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LobsterboyX posted:

I bet someone out there will have that piece of glass... ill do some looking.

I would take it up with the seller, perhaps he didnt package it that well?

it is a real shame to see that.

that whole violin thing makes me sick, who is paypal to "order something destroyed"

I have contacted the parcel service (DB Schenker) and the seller. Apparently another radio was damaged in the same way, so I guess the packaging wasn't enough for the bad handling of it. The box has "FRAGILE"-stickers all over it though. The cynic in me like to believe that those stickers add risk since the people handling it will be "extra careful" with those.

Just waiting for a reply DB Schenker now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that seems like not a lot of packaging. I use more on components that aren't as fragile as ~50 year old plastic and glass.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, that seems like not a lot of packaging. I use more on components that aren't as fragile as ~50 year old plastic and glass.

Yes I agree. Hopefully it will get resolved in a way that gets me my money back.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

On what planet is that radio packaged sufficiently? I mean its in a box barely big enough for it with some feel good news paper stuffed around it. Anyone who is into vintage/antique audio knows it should be packaged as though it was going to be run over by the truck delivering it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seriously. I sold a complete set of side spears for a 1965 Plymouth Fury. They were used, had a few scratches & dings, etc. I individually wrapped them in foam paper & slid them into a 6' tube of Schedule 40 PVC tubing with a threaded cap at one end.

Then again, car guys, especially resto car guys, can be spergy as gently caress about parts.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at Mar 6, 2012 around 19:47

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Things went downhill quickly. I got really sick with the flu about a week ago (right after the rattle trap install) and basically havent really been able to work on anything serious until today. the bag system was held up by a few parts that they thought were drop shipped. There were some other complications and they were unable to complete my order, i either waited a month or they refunded me my money, i opted for the refund. I really do want to bag my car, but its just not in the cards right now.

not to get all but I lost my best friend of 13 years 2 nights ago.

I really dont feel like doing much in the way of cars, but I did get my period correct license plates reg'd to my car, and for once a visit to the dmv didn't really phase me that much.

obviously p-shopped, but ppp666 would be cool as hell

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Condolences on the dog, that sucks

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Ask me about my slow EJ25.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Ricecop69
Mar 7, 2003

Very sad to hear about your dog, I'd go nuts without mine. Whenever you are ready to bring your cadi by the shop, we aren't too busy.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Popping in to say that your car is awesome, and I love the paint job. I have a 67 Galaxie with a rather poor paint job and hope with some work it will turn out like yours albiet vintage burgundyish.

Sad to hear about your dog.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?

I know this isn't car related, but it is old so I figured I could ask here. Does anyone know about antique sinks? My landlord at my office, which is a house built in LA in 1919, couldn't care less about this place. So when the upstairs bathroom sink started acting up, he just had the original ripped out and replaced with a $50 Home Depot piece of plastic.

So, I've taken it upon myself to see that the original goes to a collector or someone who could use it rather than chucking it in the dumpster as was the "handy man's" plan. From what I can tell, it's a Crane Drexel with a manufacture date of 1948, so the first of the post-war Drexels.

And a nifty ad I found online from '51:

I'm seeing prices online for anywhere from $200 to over $1,000. This one comes with the original hardware, legs, optional hand towel rack, and doesn't have any cracks or chips anywhere. It will need some plumbing refreshening since the faucet still leaks even when the handles are turned all the way off (which is why it was replaced). So I guess the question goes to Lobster since you're local and know people who know people. What is the market like for something like this in town?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Salvage yards, theres a few down town, pasadena, mid city and even here in the valley that are extremely interested in stuff like this, freeway salvage is the first that comes to mind and might be a good starting point. Also, try Silverlake Salvage (thats actually located in pasadena).

I know theres a similar tub thats not made by drexel that has the faucet built in. Ive never seen one for sale and ive only seen them in homes.

as a quick note to anyone ripping up an old house. cast iron ball and claw foot tubs... ones with the feet cast to it are not worth much, however ones with bolt on feet are worth money. be careful with these as collectors will even buy feet for decent money.

Speaking of pasadena, Last week my girlfriend was doing a lighting job in pasadena, she had a tech inspection one day and i decided to take her. I had a few hours to kill so i decided to find 2 of the most famous Greene & Greene homes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_and_Greene

of the "ultimate bungalows", the lesser known is the "blacker house"

Greene and Greene designed a series of homes in pasadena known as the ultimate bungalows, the brothers designed every aspect of the homes, from the furniture, carpets and lighting fixtures to the landscapes, brick patterns and even rain gutters. throughout the 100+ years these homes have been in existence, various owners have come and gone and the blacker house was the largest of these homes. sadly many of the pieces original to the home have been sold, stolen and sold. as recently as the 50s, owners flirted with the idea to paint these homes to keep with modern design. this makes me sick. the new owners have been doing their best to share the home as well as restore it to the best of their ability. seeing this home in person is breathtaking, even if you are not in to old homes. To make this AI, the current owner has had the same red NSX parked outside for years, in addition to this, the interior of this home was used as doc browns house in the back to the future trilogy.

take a close look at this:

look familiar?

Think McFly, Think

The Gamble house (think proctor & gamble) is owned by USC and is open to the public for tours. It is extremely complete, all stained glass, furniture, textiles and artifacts are there and intact. its quite an amazing tour and seeing what true craftsmanship is all about is amazing if not life changing. If ever in LA, I'd highly suggest taking a tour.

also in driving around, i spotted this..

I can only wonder what it once said.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

That looks like a drugstore sign to me, if I had to guess. There was a drugstore with a sign similar to that in the older cosmopolitan part of my city before it regressed into a crime den and then finally into a heavily-gentrified hipster paradise.

The nub on the top is supposed to be a pill bottle cap, I bet.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at Mar 21, 2012 around 14:50

You Are A Elf
Apr 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That looks like a drugstore sign to me, if I had to guess. There was a drugstore with a sign similar to that in the older cosmopolitan part of my city before it regressed into a crime den and then finally into a heavily-gentrified hipster paradise.

You sure that's not a radiator? You've got the top tank with cap, the bottom tank, and I'm envisioning the sign itself once saying "radiator repair" with some stylized fins behind the typeface. The remaining bits of black paint also lend credibility to it being a radiator.

But an old pharmaceutical bottle works just as well.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

I'm the monster in the closet.

You Are A Elf posted:

You sure that's not a radiator? You've got the top tank with cap, the bottom tank, and I'm envisioning the sign itself once saying "radiator repair" with some stylized fins behind the typeface. The remaining bits of black paint also lend credibility to it being a radiator.

But an old pharmaceutical bottle works just as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking radiator as well.

"Jerry's Radiator Repair"
~Quality Work~
~Honest Prices~

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

America's only one-stop cough syrup and cooling system shop.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

I neglected to mention that it was attached to a garage type building..

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?

LobsterboyX posted:

Salvage yards, theres a few down town, pasadena, mid city and even here in the valley that are extremely interested in stuff like this, freeway salvage is the first that comes to mind and might be a good starting point. Also, try Silverlake Salvage (thats actually located in pasadena).

I know theres a similar tub thats not made by drexel that has the faucet built in. Ive never seen one for sale and ive only seen them in homes.

Thanks for the advice. I sent an email to the Silverlake one since they seem a bit more organized and have higher prices for things. There was an original claw foot tub sitting in the side yard at my office for years that I was planning on cleaning up and selling, but I noticed last week that it has been stolen. Guess I can't really complain since it's not mine to begin with, but someone went through the process of dumping about 300lbs of dirt and rock out of it and hauled it out of here. I guess they get some money for that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

Definitely gotta be a radiator shop then. Do you have any other pictures? Old retail buildings are neat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

America's only one-stop cough syrup and cooling system shop.

Robotripping would probably be more in line with the hellaflush crowd so some kind of suspension shop?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

I know this is a really, really bad idea...but I am fighting myself right now to go hit the savings...

Only thing stopping me is I really don't have the money to sink into it to make it drivable and reliable. I know there are many, many rust demons lurking within.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

I know this is a really, really bad idea...but I am fighting myself right now to go hit the savings...

Only thing stopping me is I really don't have the money to sink into it to make it drivable and reliable. I know there are many, many rust demons lurking within.

Those were pretty. I want an Imperial from that era. I'm also amazed that someone typed up a car advert and actually correctly phrased "Needs restoration", instead of "Needs restored" which I see far too often for comfort. I also see variations on this theme like "Carb needs rebuilt".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

LobsterboyX posted:

Horse Divorce
Nov 25, 2009

When I read through this thread, I was amazed by all the cool classic radios that were shared. So now thanks to you guys, I'm looking at 80's boomboxes on ebay.

I picked up this 70's era Panasonic RE-7371 for the whopping price of $3.50 today from my local goodwill. It might not be worth much, but it sounds alright for almost 40 years old. A better quality image can be found here.

I feel my 3.50 was well enough spent. Now if only I can find a boombox with aux in and shortwave for that cheap...

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Mighty Horse posted:

Hey, at least it's in better condition than Miss Belvedere

Horse Divorce posted:

Now if only I can find a boombox with aux in and shortwave for that cheap...

I wouldn't go out of my way to find a radio with aux in, you can add it to almost any radio later.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

So, an old privately held car museum has decided to auction off 175 cars. First they had to close in 2007 due to water damage and then the old baron that owned it died a year later.

You can see a bunch of pics of the cars here: link to pics

It is being handled by RM Auctions http://www.rmauctions.com/default.cfm?SaleCode=AL12

Som seriously old stuff in there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Including Idi Amin's Benz 600 limo! drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

LobsterboyX posted:

as a quick note to anyone ripping up an old house. cast iron ball and claw foot tubs... ones with the feet cast to it are not worth much, however ones with bolt on feet are worth money. be careful with these as collectors will even buy feet for decent money.

I bought an apartment building ~6 years ago and have 2 of those from remodeling the bathrooms. I tried to sell them on craigslist in 2010. I had a buyer but he never showed up. I was selling both for $75 a piece. You can't see them clearly but they have bolt on feet. The second picture is the stamp on the bottom of one of them. I would have to guess that they were made in 1899 or 1900 if they are original to the building. They are currently buried in the back of a garage. Is there a good website to see how much these are worth?

I also found these in the attic of the same building the tubs came from.
The cabinet of the radio is shot to hell but the electronics work and I can tune stations in. The TVs on the other hand do not work. Well they power on and they give the old vacuum tube hum but neither ones screen does anything. One of them after the tubes warm up has a feedback type noise coming from the speaker.

«34 »