Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«46 »
Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

I also have a Paragard IUD and use a Divacup. Works out fine for me. I just make super sure to break the seal before I take it out and all is well. I've never noticed any changes in my string length since using it and it helps me out a lot since my period is heavier now with the Paragard than before. But yeah, I'm a bit of a hippie so I got it for the lessening the landfill factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

If it helps, I just asked my doctor on Wednesday if it was safe to use a menstrual cup with my IUD and he said absolutely as long as I don't do anything to yank on the strings.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!

I have Mirena and other than some very slight cramping at the beginning of my period when I put my Keeper in that just feels like gas, it's not a problem. My gyno cut the strings too short because I mentioned that I use a cup, and so sometimes I can't feel the strings when they hide in my cervix, or they poke my boyfriend.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

Using my Lunette for the first time today. Putting it in was easy, it's pretty great while it's there. But can I just say that taking that thing out might be the most uncomfortable, queasiness-inducing things I've done this week. I found myself bargaining with myself about whether I reeeeeally had to put it back in. (I did. I kinda wish I hadn't, because that just means I'll have to take it out again.)

I'm sure that, like any feminine hygiene product, it'll get less terrifying to use very quickly. But yikes. On the plus side, hey, it worked. Go me.

(Oversharing on the internet: Ask me what it can do for you! )

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Innovative Salad posted:

Using my Lunette for the first time today. Putting it in was easy, it's pretty great while it's there. But can I just say that taking that thing out might be the most uncomfortable, queasiness-inducing things I've done this week.

Can I ask why? It should NOT be physically uncomfortable to take out. If it is, then you're not breaking the seal on it first. You need to deform it from being perfectly round before pulling out out, otherwise you're just suctioning down on your cervix as you pull. I usually just pinch the very bottom of my cup a bit and it comes right out. Then I flick my wrist a bit once it's out to dump it in the toilet.

I will say I had more difficulty getting it out the first few times I used it. Not pain, just difficulty. I think I was nervous about it so I was tensing up my muscles which was making it climb up higher, so I had a hard time getting a grip on it.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

Breaking the seal is hard. The whole thing is squishy and, well, bloody, and I think I have short fingers. I'm not in the habit of jamming them up there like that.

I have no doubt it'll get much easier with more practice, but I had a pretty crappy start. The second time I apparently didn't even get the seal right leaking oh god, so I took it out for the time being. I'll try squeezing the bottom next time, thanks for that tip.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

It was so peaceful beneath the glittering stars.

Squeezing the bottom helps loads. Although in a twist of hilarity, on breaking the seal it made a noise like a slide whistle. Oh, anatomy. The whacky noises you make...

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

Ha, my MeLuna arrived yesterday. And just like someone mentioned before, they sent me (additionally to my transparent S cup with a stem) an M cup with a ball stem, which is pretty rocking. I wasn't sure if I should take S or M when I ordered it and now I have both. =D

Innovative Salad posted:

Breaking the seal is hard. The whole thing is squishy and, well, bloody, and I think I have short fingers.

And yeah, I'm kinda worried I'll have the same problems when I use it for the first time. I'll see how deep I'll push it in, I'm kinda afraid I won't be able to reach it anymore. Whenever I put in a tampon, I could never reach it with more than my fingertip. So I guess I'll let the cup sit a bit lower so I can pinch the bottom, which sounds like it would make it way easier than having to get all the way up to the rim. I probably can't do that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I suggest squatting a bit if you have serious issues in that area. You should be able to feel your cervix without a problem in that position - this is actually how I check my IUD strings (I have a Mirena) and in theory if you can feel your cervix you can place and remove the cup as needed. Lean back against a wall if that helps, or if you're not used to squatting.

I'm going to try getting one and using antibacterial sex toy cleaner on it to see how that works. That will hopefully suffice for keeping the thing clean in the absence of a dishwasher or place to boil water. I mean, it works for the sex toys...

Callisto
Feb 6, 2005
What The Shit?!

I LOVE my diva cup! I got one a little over a year ago, thanks to the GBS thread about it. It really does change your life. No odor, no mess, saves money, comfortable, and saves time because I have to deal with it twice a day at the most. I was having to deal with tampons sometimes 6-8 times a day. Most of my friends think it's icky, but I got one to try it out and she also enjoys it. My husband doesn't seem to care, but he hates when I leave it sitting around after I'm done with it, prior to sterilizing. When I'm finished with it, I boil it for about 20-30 minutes and store it in the pouch it came in until next time.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

The idea of washing menstrual blood with your dishes sounds... odd.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010

Fruity Tree posted:

And yeah, I'm kinda worried I'll have the same problems when I use it for the first time. I'll see how deep I'll push it in, I'm kinda afraid I won't be able to reach it anymore. Whenever I put in a tampon, I could never reach it with more than my fingertip. So I guess I'll let the cup sit a bit lower so I can pinch the bottom, which sounds like it would make it way easier than having to get all the way up to the rim. I probably can't do that.

I have a Meluna with a ball-stem and I had some difficulty getting it back out when I first used it- and I am an experienced cup user. The Diva has ridges that help with grip, while the Meluna is smooth as glass. I never used the stem for anything with my Diva and cut it off. With the Meluna I found the stem to be a huge help. I will squat and use the pushing muscles to stabilize it a bit, then grab the stem to stabilize it while breaking the seal.

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

Reene posted:

I'm going to try getting one and using antibacterial sex toy cleaner on it to see how that works. That will hopefully suffice for keeping the thing clean in the absence of a dishwasher or place to boil water. I mean, it works for the sex toys...

Just wanted to chime in that I started using mine in a dorm situation too. I had access to a microwave, so I would get a mug of water and microwave it as hot as I dared, then dunk the cup in there for 5 minutes or so. Probably not as effective as actual boiling, but it seemed to work pretty well.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Hypothetical Mcgee posted:

Just wanted to chime in that I started using mine in a dorm situation too. I had access to a microwave, so I would get a mug of water and microwave it as hot as I dared, then dunk the cup in there for 5 minutes or so. Probably not as effective as actual boiling, but it seemed to work pretty well.

This is slightly off topic, but I got burned pretty badly so I felt the need to warn.

Be careful if you're heating water in the microwave. It may explode in your face. It happened to me once. Here's the mythbusters if you'd like to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

Content: I just ordered the green Lunette cup from amazon. Can't wait to try it out next month. I don't think my boyfriend will let me put it in the dishwasher, though.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robokomodo posted:

The idea of washing menstrual blood with your dishes sounds... odd.

Sterilizing isn't necessarily cleaning. I imagine they wash/rinse off all visible traces of menstruation before putting it in the dishwasher. The dishwasher just steam cleans it essentially, getting rid of the invisible stuff.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

My fiance bought mine today as I asked him to before work - with it being almost my time of the month and reading this thread, I thought I'd give it a go.

I have a UK mooncup and so far, it's great. I'll have to see how I do at work though...

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

MeLuna sells a sterilization cup specifically designed to put your menstrual cup in the microwave.

I should also mention that anyone in a dorm or roommate situation can also check out Target's baby section or Babies R Us to get some of these:http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Quick-...90426097&sr=8-1
They're designed for sterilizing bottle nipples and breast pump parts, but I imagine they'd work just fine for cups as well. You get like 5 bags in a box and each bag can be used multiple times before you need to discard it.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

Fionnoula posted:

Can I ask why? It should NOT be physically uncomfortable to take out. If it is, then you're not breaking the seal on it first. You need to deform it from being perfectly round before pulling out out, otherwise you're just suctioning down on your cervix as you pull. I usually just pinch the very bottom of my cup a bit and it comes right out. Then I flick my wrist a bit once it's out to dump it in the toilet.

Can I just say that this was the best advice? Thank you.

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.

I was actually looking for a thread for something completely unrelated, but clicked on it due to the wtf factor of never even hearing about these cups. Read the OP and now I want one, but I can't afford it right now since I just ended my period and bought tampons just before it started.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

I actually forgot all about these, and was reminded of their existence by my girlfriend who has one. I remember my mum got one of those gross rubber ones over the internet back in the 90's and would not stop going on about how awesome it was.
I bought my first one a couple of weeks ago and started using it this week when my period started unexpedtedly early while I was away on a conference. What a revelation! It was pretty stressful to figure out how to get the drat thing in and out while not in the comfort of my own home, but now I have the hang of it it is pretty much the best thing ever. I used to go through two boxes of tampons a month and, while the cup was pretty expensive, I will probably recoup my losses in less than a year.

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008

These sound great, I am really excited about the idea of using them for when I am spotting. I do have a question though, how long do menstrual cups generally last before you have to replace them?

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

The leaflet with mine said 10 years if you care for it properly. However it hasn't been making them that long so it's conjecture at this point. A good long while though.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.

Divacup says ten years. I've had mine almost two years and it still looks brand-new; I'll likely get rid of it if it starts getting discolored or looks like it's wearing out but so far it's holding up great. Certainly it has lasted long enough to have paid for itself already.

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008

JonBent0000 posted:

The leaflet with mine said 10 years if you care for it properly. However it hasn't been making them that long so it's conjecture at this point. A good long while though.

I Wish I Was posted:

Divacup says ten years. I've had mine almost two years and it still looks brand-new; I'll likely get rid of it if it starts getting discolored or looks like it's wearing out but so far it's holding up great. Certainly it has lasted long enough to have paid for itself already.

Thanks! That's so amazingly cost efficient compared to tampons, I'm really excited about this purchase now!

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Sauterne posted:

Thanks! That's so amazingly cost efficient compared to tampons, I'm really excited about this purchase now!

You won't regret it, I promise. I hestitate to call anything I jam up my snatch life changing, but it really is. Also, it pays for itself within the year. It may take you a couple of goes to get the hang of, and if it hurts when you try to remove it, you aren't pinching the bottom of it hard enough.

Good luck!

Damn Bananas
Jun 30, 2007

You humans bore me

Mad Moxxi posted:

I was actually looking for a thread for something completely unrelated, but clicked on it due to the wtf factor of never even hearing about these cups. Read the OP and now I want one, but I can't afford it right now since I just ended my period and bought tampons just before it started.

You can still get one to try it out, and it's always nice to have a box of tampons in the bathroom for guests encountering surprise periods.

I've never tried a cup, I'm pretty happy with tampons. I have to admit I'm intrigued by the thread though.

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

drat Bananas posted:

I've never tried a cup, I'm pretty happy with tampons. I have to admit I'm intrigued by the thread though.

Do it. I never had an issue with tampons either. But now that I've tried the cup, tampons just feel awful and I wish I had gotten rid of them sooner.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Do it. I never had an issue with tampons either. But now that I've tried the cup, tampons just feel awful and I wish I had gotten rid of them sooner.

Yeah, this. I've been using the cup for about 5 years now. The few times I've used a tampon for whatever reason, I always hate it and realize all over again how much better my cup is.

Ass Crackers!
Feb 1, 2009

Turtle!

Cardinal?

vroooom

I don't use tampons, and have never really tried them. This thread has me completely sold on cups, but I'm unsure how comfortable I would find it since I wouldn't have the comparison to tampons like most of you do. Should I just give a whirl or should I start a trial period with tampons to get used to the whole "things in my vagina for hours" experience? Sorry if this sounds retarded but I'm not used to discussing my vagina

Lealoo
Nov 28, 2005

I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I have a paragard, and my period lasts 6 to 7 days. Usually three super heavy days with 3 or 4 light days. My heavy days I end up using a tampon AND an overnight size pad. My light days are too light for a tampon and I find it EXTREMELY uncomfortable when I try. So I end up wearing pads for 6 to 7 days and by the end my bits (external vulva-ish region?) feel awful and chaffed.

I've seen a lot of you chime in that the cup works great for heavy days, but what about a really light flow? Would I need a different cup?

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

rear end Crackers! posted:

I don't use tampons, and have never really tried them. This thread has me completely sold on cups, but I'm unsure how comfortable I would find it since I wouldn't have the comparison to tampons like most of you do. Should I just give a whirl or should I start a trial period with tampons to get used to the whole "things in my vagina for hours" experience? Sorry if this sounds retarded but I'm not used to discussing my vagina

If you have the cup in correctly, you cannot feel it at all. The only reason I'd recommend using tampons for a while first is to get used to the actual process of putting it in. Some girls aren't too comfortable getting their hands all up in their lady bits, and a tampon with an applicator might help you get used to the idea.

Lealoo posted:

I've seen a lot of you chime in that the cup works great for heavy days, but what about a really light flow? Would I need a different cup?

Nope! Cups are awesome for light days. Works exactly the same, except you go longer without emptying it. I have lots of light days too and it's awesome - just put it in and forget about it until the evening.

Ass Crackers!
Feb 1, 2009

Turtle!

Cardinal?

vroooom

If you have the cup in correctly, you cannot feel it at all. The only reason I'd recommend using tampons for a while first is to get used to the actual process of putting it in. Some girls aren't too comfortable getting their hands all up in their lady bits, and a tampon with an applicator might help you get used to the idea.

Awesome. I think I'd be ok skipping tampons then, as I don't really have an aversion to putting my fingers where they need to be.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lealoo posted:

I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I have a paragard, and my period lasts 6 to 7 days. Usually three super heavy days with 3 or 4 light days. My heavy days I end up using a tampon AND an overnight size pad. My light days are too light for a tampon and I find it EXTREMELY uncomfortable when I try. So I end up wearing pads for 6 to 7 days and by the end my bits (external vulva-ish region?) feel awful and chaffed.

They're great for both heavy and light flow. Hell, they're even fine for no flow - I stick mine in the morning of the day I think I'm going to get my period. Also, I know of at least one woman who wears hers on her extremely fertile days to catch all her ermmm...discharge.

Lealoo
Nov 28, 2005

Wooo I'm much more excited about stuffing a cup up my vagina in the near future than any woman should be. I'm sick of feeling like I have a god drat diaper rash at the end of every period

I was talking to my husband about buying one off Amazon next week, and I explained to him what it was. His reply was, "Gross. Yeah, whatever."

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie

My sister kept telling me about the Diva Cup, and I'm tired of buying tampons, etc, so I ordered one today! I'm on Seasonale, so hopefully shouldn't need to buy as much product anyway, but we'll see how this goes!

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...

Just wanted to chime in as another happy menstrual cup owner. I have the Diva Cup and it has definitely changed my life! I suffer from a heavy flow and this certainly lifts the burden. I definitely don't notice is as often as I used to when I used tampons. It's a little tricky at first but DEFINITELY! worth the money.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I have a question about fit. I have a small Lunette. I haven't even been able to use it for my past two periods because of leakage. I've exhausted every cup website about this problem and, yes, it is in correctly. I do the full turn each time. I even run my finger along to make sure it's open. I also feel it pop open so I can tell that way too, but I always double check. I insert in the bottom part, not up high. It's comfortable. I don't get it. Like last night I put in it perfectly. Sat around for about 30 minutes then felt...something. Went to check it. Leaking. I reach in and the thing is not sitting in the lower part anymore. It floated back, was still expanded, but honestly it just felt like it moves around too much. It is always very hard to get out because it drifts away and can barely get my fingers in there to even touch it, let alone grasp it with my thumb. Is this normal or this maybe a problem with the fit? I was so fed up I ordered a Moon cup last night because 1) it was on amazon prime and 2) I looked at the measurements and it is longer than the Lunette so I thought maybe I just needed a longer one? Any ideas? If it helps, I'm 27, no kids, have an iud.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007
I smell air!

The diameter of the small Lunette could be too small for you--you might need a cup with a larger diameter (like...the large Lunette ). I guess some women also have a lower cervix on certain days of their period, so it's possible your cervix is dipping down into the Lunette and making it overflow, like shoving your fist into a glass full of water. Definitely try the Moon Cup--since its shape is a little different, you may just need a cup that molds to your body better--but if the diameter is the problem, then you'll probably have to try a different cup since the small Lunette and Moon Cup have the same diameter.

I currently have 4 menstrual cups and at one point I had around 12, so I've tried a lot of brands trying to get one that worked best for me. In hindsight, 12 was a little excessive though

Edit: Actually, rereading your post, the cup shouldn't be moving around that much inside of you. You may just need a wider cup to keep it lodged in place. The small Lunette (and the Moon Cup) have a diameter of 41mm. The large Lunette has a diameter of 46mm, so perhaps try that? The small DivaCup is 43mm.

Pata Pata Pata Pon fucked around with this message at Feb 5, 2011 around 20:58

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

I have a question for folks with Nuvaring: I know cups and rings are supposed to work just fine together, but does the ring ever get in the way? For example, is the ring disturbing proper suction and thus causing leakage?

drat, I've been pondering on getting a cup for years, but I've always been too lazy to actually buy one. I guess it's finally my time to start feeling like a mobile junkyard by walking around with loads of stuff in my vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Hiilai posted:

I have a question for folks with Nuvaring: I know cups and rings are supposed to work just fine together, but does the ring ever get in the way? For example, is the ring disturbing proper suction and thus causing leakage?

drat, I've been pondering on getting a cup for years, but I've always been too lazy to actually buy one. I guess it's finally my time to start feeling like a mobile junkyard by walking around with loads of stuff in my vagina.

Usually I don't have to wear both at the same time, but the ring and the cup have worked fine together once I figured out the right way to do it.

I put the cup in first and then just stick the ring right up along the side. At first I would try to put the ring completely above or below the cup, but it works way better for me to just have them right next to each other.

«46 »