Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
I actually forgot all about these, and was reminded of their existence by my girlfriend who has one. I remember my mum got one of those gross rubber ones over the internet back in the 90's and would not stop going on about how awesome it was.
I bought my first one a couple of weeks ago and started using it this week when my period started unexpedtedly early while I was away on a conference. What a revelation! It was pretty stressful to figure out how to get the drat thing in and out while not in the comfort of my own home, but now I have the hang of it it is pretty much the best thing ever. I used to go through two boxes of tampons a month and, while the cup was pretty expensive, I will probably recoup my losses in less than a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

trinity3infinity posted:

I just picked up a diva cup from my local co-op. I'm going to be traveling soon and I want to try it out since I'll be in a car driving for long periods of time and don't want to worry about having to stop to change out a tampon. Would it be safe to use sex toy cleaner on this for sanitation while on the road? I'm assuming that if this cleaner is safe enough for my silicone sex toys that it would be fine to use on the diva cup.

Ah god yes, that is good to know. I'm going on a long trip to the real third world next month and will have to clean the blasted thing somehow.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Mielie posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think my main problem was that I didn't expect it to be difficult to remove and that's why I panicked, should have done more research! Also, I blame the vague instructions I got with the cup. Basically I couldn't break the seal, because the cup sat too high for me to get my finger around it - I even struggled just to pinch the bottom. So I had to try a variety of long objects to get in next to the cup and break the seal.
Banana Cat, I checked out the Miacup website, so I might try that out - I like the colour! I will give the MPower cup one more chance, because it was quite expensive (20 months worth of tampons) and I was hoping that using a cup would save me money and you know... save the Earth.

Hey! I have the mpower cup (also South African) and also experienced some difficulty in getting it out. I found it helpful to pinch the bottom of the cup and pull on it instead of the stem. I found the stem too long and trimmed a chunk of it off, couldn't get a grip on it anyway. Don't give up on it, it is a pretty good cup!

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

uberwekkness posted:

I'm really thinking about trying this, but I'm a little hesitant, since I'm not quite so familiar with poking at my innards. I have no idea how far in my cervix is, or if I can reach that stuff, or even really how to fit my index finger and thumb in in a way that works. Should I hold off and familiarize myself first, or would jumping right in work out?

Because goddamn, I'm on my period right now, and it's a huge pain in the rear end. Mine is usually fairly light, so I don't use super heavy duty pads all that much, but every few months, I have one really heavy day that I'm not expecting, and my underwear looks like a murder scene. I don't use tampons much, because I hate that feeling of cottony stuff rubbing the sides of my vagina. Today was really bad. It was a heavy day, but I somehow still felt too dry for tampon insertion to be comfortable. The feeling made me a little queasy, and I didn't have it situated quite right or something, because it felt really awkward to walk. I eventually gave up after a few hours and took it out. :/

That brings me to another question though. Is the insertion of a menstrual cup smoother, or more comfortable? And how do you know if it's in far enough? I feel so interested but so lost. :(

I would suggest familiarising yourself with your interior before trying it. It's not difficult, though, so don't worry about it too much.
I found the first dry run slightly uncomfortable but if you lube up the outside of the cup a little it should help.

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
So. Trip report. Having used the cup for two months with more or less great success, I decided to take it along for my great East African trip. Now, the lady who makes the brand of cup I have seems to want to raise funds to provide these to poor women without water and sanitation, so obviously I figure that it must be ideal for those circumstances. But I did not think things through.

After arriving, my girlfriend (who's a big cup fan) told me that she sticks to tampons there since there's hardly ever running water, working toilets are rare, everything is filthy and things are best kept disposable. I decided to do the same, but for some reason I tried the first maybe two days or so with the cup. It worked fine and didn't really leak or anything, but removing, emptying and cleaning the drat thing was literally a bloody nightmare. I overcame it by carrying around pockets of paper serviettes and thank god for oversized water bottles. Anyway, never again, it was really stressful. Well, I don't know about never, maybe next time I will be psychologically prepared.

Oh god, when I think of the YMCA in Arusha...the HORRROR

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Ojo posted:

I've been following this thread since the start but it's been a long while, so forgive me if this has already been asked.

What's the deal with periods seeming lighter while using the cup? Is there a reason for this? I've noticed a few other people mentioning it, and I think it's been that way for me too. I wondered if maybe I was imagining it and exaggerating how bad it was before, but then a few girls here have mentioned their periods becoming shorter by a few days.

If tampons somehow make your periods heavier, that's a bit scary.

This! Has anyone come up with an explanation for this phenomenon yet? I also experience the early stop. I gain a day or two. It is pretty cool, but a little disturbing at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Maybe tampons kind of plug the leak? Like sticking a cork in there? While the cup collects the blood and lets you drain it on a normal basis?

That was my running theory. I think I'm just classifying the phenomenon as "mysterious" for now.

• Locked thread