Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Love my cup! Love it, love it, love it!
I'm like ThreeFish and had horrendous disgusting periods with much mess and GUARANTEE at least 2 pairs of ruined underwear every month until I switched to a cup. I haven't had a single leak since. I loving LOVE it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hirudo posted:

I just bought a DivaCup! I'm actually looking forward to my period so I can try it out. :)

Don't wait! Try it now so you can get the hang of getting it in and out without the OMG, FAUCET IS ON FULL BLAST urgency. Unlike tampons, you can stick the sucker up there any time of the month. I've taken to using mine during my high-fertility days cause, you know, mucous is yucky in my pants.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Jenova Project posted:

How many of you are witchesWiccans?

What do your boyfriends say, does it weird them out? I hardly thought I'd read this entire topic, but here I am. It's interesting.

I'm gonna show this topic to my girlfriend, she is icked out by her period and is a clean freak, maybe this will help?

1. Not Wiccan. Not anything actually, I'm completely non-religious.

2. My husband doesn't say anything unless I leave it sitting on the sink after my period's over (hand-washed and waiting for me to sterilize it), then he'll ask if I want him to "stick the vag plug in the sterilizer" (he also enjoys calling it my twat glass). I don't think it weirds him out in any way - actually I think he likes it because he no longer has to hear me bitch about what menstrual product failed me this month, we don't waste money on feminine products monthly, he NEVER has to deal with a pair of panties soaking in the sink in a vain attempt to save them after some sort of leakage issue, and the bathroom trashcan is a lot less of a trauma for everyone involved.

3. It will totally help if she gets over her initial ICK reaction and actually tries one. I was convinced it was going to be messier than tampons but it's WAY CLEANER. It's literally turned my periods from a monthly traumatic mess-fest into a complete non-entity. Before the cup, I would get really ANGRY the first day of my period, just resentful and pissed off that I had to deal with this poo poo AGAIN. Now my reaction is "Oh, look at that. Time for my cup."

Stultus Maximus posted:

How would any of the female posters here recommend bringing the issue up?
Why don't you just ask her if she's ever heard of these things because there's this thread on SA talking about it and you've never heard of them before but all these women are going gaga over them? Maybe she'd be interested to read the thread?

Fruity Tree posted:

Does anyone know if you can buy them in Germany?
The MeLuna cup is actually manufactured in Germany. Maybe they have a listing of retailers on their website? http://www.meluna.eu/index.php/?___store=deutsch&___from_store=english

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Alterian posted:

My mom started crying when I told her I got mine and exclaimed that I am now a woman and then took me out for a prime rib dinner. To this day she still remembers the exact date of when I got my first period. :psyduck:

Oh god, my mother attempted to do some sort of celebrating womanhood lunch date with me and I was so loving embarrassed by her excitement I refused to take part. She also didn't know that I'd had my period for several months before she found out. I only told her because I was babysitting and ran out of supplies so I had to call her to have her bring some over.

She had pulled me aside when I was 10 to explain everything to me, so that I'd be prepared for it. The first thing I did when she was done was run to my brother and tell him all about what that stuff under the sink was for. It made a lot more sense than my father's explanation - he insisted that tampons were torches for dwarves and we couldn't figure out why we had them considering Snow White and her pals didn't live in our neighborhood.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Innovative Salad posted:

Using my Lunette for the first time today. Putting it in was easy, it's pretty great while it's there. But can I just say that taking that thing out might be the most uncomfortable, queasiness-inducing things I've done this week.

Can I ask why? It should NOT be physically uncomfortable to take out. If it is, then you're not breaking the seal on it first. You need to deform it from being perfectly round before pulling out out, otherwise you're just suctioning down on your cervix as you pull. I usually just pinch the very bottom of my cup a bit and it comes right out. Then I flick my wrist a bit once it's out to dump it in the toilet.

I will say I had more difficulty getting it out the first few times I used it. Not pain, just difficulty. I think I was nervous about it so I was tensing up my muscles which was making it climb up higher, so I had a hard time getting a grip on it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hypothetical Mcgee posted:

Just wanted to chime in that I started using mine in a dorm situation too. I had access to a microwave, so I would get a mug of water and microwave it as hot as I dared, then dunk the cup in there for 5 minutes or so. Probably not as effective as actual boiling, but it seemed to work pretty well.

MeLuna sells a sterilization cup specifically designed to put your menstrual cup in the microwave.

I should also mention that anyone in a dorm or roommate situation can also check out Target's baby section or Babies R Us to get some of these:http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Quick-Clean-Micro-Steam-Bags/dp/B000096QQ5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1290426097&sr=8-1
They're designed for sterilizing bottle nipples and breast pump parts, but I imagine they'd work just fine for cups as well. You get like 5 bags in a box and each bag can be used multiple times before you need to discard it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lealoo posted:

I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. I have a paragard, and my period lasts 6 to 7 days. Usually three super heavy days with 3 or 4 light days. My heavy days I end up using a tampon AND an overnight size pad. My light days are too light for a tampon and I find it EXTREMELY uncomfortable when I try. So I end up wearing pads for 6 to 7 days and by the end my bits (external vulva-ish region?) feel awful and chaffed.

I've seen a lot of you chime in that the cup works great for heavy days, but what about a really light flow? Would I need a different cup?

They're great for both heavy and light flow. Hell, they're even fine for no flow - I stick mine in the morning of the day I think I'm going to get my period. Also, I know of at least one woman who wears hers on her extremely fertile days to catch all her ermmm...discharge.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Odrade posted:

I've been using a mooncup (UK) for about two years and can confirm that they really do improve your life, probably the best product I've ever purchased.

Two things: does anyone else find that they can get a bit sore down there towards the end of their period? I think maybe I'm being a bit rough/too fast when I'm putting it in and taking it out but maybe it's normal?

Also (kind of related to the post above) does anyone have any recommendations for what to do with leftover tampons? I have a whole bunch in a wash bag in my closet that I'm just never going to use because the thought of using a tampon again makes me feel extremely gross. Does anyone know of anyone who might take them? Maybe a woman's centre? I don't want to just throw them away because someone might be able to use them and god knows tampons aren't as cheap as they should be.

A woman's shelter may take them. They'll definitely take any that are in an unopened box, not sure about whether they'd take them after you've opened the box. Or you could just go into public bathrooms and leave them, like a tampon fairy. I found that they gradually just went away on their own when I left them in my guest bathroom under the sink - friends would come over, find they needed one and root around until they found one. I had about a half a box of them when I got my cup and it took about a year, but eventually they all found homes apparently.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Anya posted:

So, I totally avoided the first thread because I thought the idea of Diva cups/etc totally gross. But, after reading this whole thing, you all have kinda persuaded me into looking into cup. Where can you get one in the US? Are these mainly online things, or can I go to my local CVS/Walgreens/generic drugstore?

Amazon carries DivaCups. Aside from that, try your local WholeFoods type grocery store.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm very interested in trying one, but I'm a little worried about how secure they are. I used Nuvaring for a while and more often than not it would slip out whenever I went to the bathroom. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned how the cup would accidentally slip off in the mornings when she went to pee, but only because it was full. Unlike other activities, the bathroom incorporates the body pushing everything out. So does anyone else have this problem or should it not be an issue?

I've never had it be an issue at all. When my cup gets VERY full it tends to ride a little lower, but it's never in any danger of falling out. It gets low enough for me to start feeling that it's in there and then I know it's time to empty it. It's still up inside though, just a tiny bit lower than when I placed it, so I'm still reaching up and in to grab it and pull it out.

For the record, I have had tampons basically squirt out while I was going to the bathroom, but I've been using a cup for 3 years now and haven't ever had a problem.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

spatula posted:

Oh my god, they have glitter MeLunas now? There is no way I can justify a third menstrual cup, no matter how sparkly it is.

You act as if you have to justify making your vagina feel like a pretty pretty princess.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Speaking of, when the Mooncup arrives, I'm positive I'll have to shorten the stem to fit. How does one go about shortening the stem? Will scissors cut it? Nail clippers? What's the minimum recommended length to leave behind? Just whatever you can get a solid grip on with your fingers?

You don't really use the stem to insert or remove it; I left mine completely intact and I still don't use the stem at all. You can just use regular scissors to hack the whole damned thing off.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chicken McNobody posted:

I'm 10 weeks pregnant, and plan to breastfeed once the baby's born, so it may be a good long time before I have a need for my Diva again. Does anyone know how to store this sucker long-term? Should I even bother, or just chuck it and buy a new one afterward? I just bought a new one a few months ago, and since I turned 30 I chose the bigger size, so I'd hate to have to repurchase if I don't need to.

Just wash it as you normally would, stick it in its little bag and shove it in your medicine cabinet. Everyone I know who took a baby break from their cup did just fine afterwards - the only ones who needed to buy new ones were the ones that forgot where they put them.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
You say you used it a few times with no problems but now it's oversuctioning? I suggest that after you do get it out, make sure the little holes up at the top are clear - sounds like you've lost venting.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I've used the Medela steam bags to clean mine and it still works fine. I figured they were intended to breast pump parts and baby bottle nipples, so it's gotta be fine for my cup. I also used to run mine through my steam sterilizer for my kid's bottles when I was still using that. At one point, MeLuna used to sell microwave containers intended for microwave sterilizing their cups(they might still, I haven't looked in a while), so I'm pretty sure it's fine.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

NaturalLow posted:

I'm glad to know that because it looks like these would be the perfect solution to all the problems boiling on the stove presents. :) Was the cup you were using silicone? Because Meluna is made of something else.

I use a DivaCup, so yeah, silicone. Those Medela bags are made for sterilizing silicone parts. I imagine they'd also work on whatever MeLuna is made from. I checked MeLuna's website and they are still selling microwave sterilizing cups, so if you wanted something more permanent than the bags (which are only supposed to be used 3-5 times before being replaced), that's an option.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chiba City Blues posted:

I've been looking into one of these for a while, but I have a few questions:

Can I sleep with it in? My periods are really heavy the first 2 days or so and I always bleed overnight.
Is it so horrible if I can't wash it in a dishwasher at the end of my cycle? I live in a dorm and there is no dishwasher available. How would I sanitize it then? Are alcohol wipes enough to be safe?

I am a heavy bleeder and I sleep with mine in. As for sanitizing, there are several methods. I don't put mine in the dishwasher ever. I either boil it in a pot of water on the stove or I use microwave sanitizing bags from the baby section at Target or Amazon (They're made by Medela and they're called Quick Clean Micro-Steam bags). Also to be quite honest, I don't sterilize mine every month. I hand wash it very well with Diva Wash (it's the cleaner that the Diva Cup company sells) right after I am done using it for the month and then again right before I use it the next month. I only sterilize it every few months.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bewildrbeast posted:

Do you ladies keep a small stock of tampons at your house for other lady friends in case they have an emergency? At this point it's happened a few times where a pal has needed one.
It is usually an opportunity to bring up how rad cups are, but at the same time I don't feel like I can/should just loan 'em out, ya know?
What do you guys do?

I switched to a cup 5 years ago. I still have the box of tampons and a package of pads under my sink from before that, so if anyone really needs one they can use those. I don't think I'll go out and buy more when they run out.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Julet Esqu posted:

It's high enough if you can stand up and walk around and not feel it. You'll get a feel for how far that is after you've done it a couple of times.

I check to see if the cup is open by "stirring." That's when you put a finger in and run it around the sides of the cup. If it's open, the cup will feel nice and round (though not necessarily perfectly circular, since the walls of your vagina might flatten it a little). If it's not, you'll be able to feel any big dents in the side. Often if there's a dent, just the process of stirring will push it out.

I generally do the stirring method too. Funny enough, if it feels perfectly round to me, I know it's wrong. There's a specific little dent I get in mine due to the shape of my vagina that indicates to me that I have a good seal.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Rondette posted:

The only problem I've had so far is once I dropped it on the floor when it was full. :cry:

Oh hey, I did that once. Right onto my brand new sage green memory foam bathmat. Now I have an even newer sage green memory foam bathmat.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Autumncomet posted:

On my period and trying my DivaCup for the first time. I've got no trouble putting it in and it doesn't leak, but when taking it out (pinch the bottom, rock side to side and pull out gently), the suction sometimes 'catches' and it hurts a bit, although it comes out right after. Is this normal or am I not breaking the seal well enough?

Also, holy poo poo this cup is amazing and I'm never going back to pads. :stare: I'd never used a tampon before (relatively conservative family, long story), so I was worried for a bit, but I eventually figured out a good fold to get it in there. :)

Sounds like you aren't breaking the seal enough. Try pinching a tiny bit higher up.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Vespa Mandarinia posted:

I just started using the Diva Cup. gently caress yeah, no more tampons or pads ever again for me.
I have had no problems with it leaking- but I'm not putting mine up there very far. The stem sticks out a tiny bit, but I don't have any issues with it.

Has anyone kept theirs for longer than a year? I know Diva Cup suggests to replace after a year, but if mine isn't having any problems/doesn't smell like snatch, it should be okay, right?

I'm so freaking happy I ended up buying one. I can't believe I never seriously considered getting one earlier.

I'm on more than 5 years with the same Diva Cup, probably close to 5 1/2 by now. It's to the point now where it's stained and peroxide doesn't remove the staining anymore. But it's still completely functional - no crumbling, cracks, or breakdown. There's no odor; it's stained but otherwise fine. I'm planning to just continue using it until I see some breakdown or it starts leaking. I seem to remember that when i bought it, the packaging said up to 10 years, but they've now changed it to 1. I don't know if that was due to some sort of external regulation or if it is really just the company looking to sell more cups.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

compshateme85 posted:

I just started having my period again after ~14 years of avoiding it, and I've been using a menstrual cup for the last two days. I have a few questions and if they've already been answered previously in the thread, I apologize, 41 pages of info is a lot to go through.

1) I had to cut my cup down (Diva cup, size 1). Not just the tip, but about half of the cup itself. Now the top edge is a bit rougher but I don't really mind. Is this going to affect bacteria growth?

2) When I insert it, it seems to stay closed instead of popping back open, I think due to lack of air in there. I try to press it against the wall of my vagina to get it to open up enough to fit around the cervix, but it doesn't work that well. Is there a good way to get it to pop back open?

3) My cervix is offset and tilted. I have a really hard time (like it takes 10 minutes) to get it where I think it needs to be and open. I've been right about 50% of the time. Again, is there a good way to ensure it's placed correctly?

Thanks in advance.

I think it sounds like you need to buy a different, smaller brand. If you've cut down the cup from the top, that's part of the reason it's not popping open upon insertion, it needs that structure that the little rim gives it. As to question 3, I think it's just a matter of time and practice. I also have a tilted cervix (actually, my whole uterus is sitting wonky) and I used to dig around in there forever, making sure it was where I thought it needed to be. Now I just sort of know when it's right.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Julet Esqu posted:

Any ideas on how it compares in size to a Diva Cup? Divas are the longest cups, but that one looks pretty big.
Here is the size 2 next to a size 2 DivaCup. I figured it was time to replace it after 10 years of use, and I couldn't pass up trying the Eva at that price. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. The rim feels more squashy than the Diva (which in itself is much more squashy after 10 years of use than it was when I got it). Pretty drat close to the same size. I like the stem better than the Diva stem, it's solid rather than the weird hollow Diva one that gets all nasty inside.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Portals posted:

I didn't know that the Diva had a hollow stem, that's kinda bizarre.

Yeah, it is. I don't really understand the purpose of it, it gets really gross and it's hard to clean. It's really hollow, not closed up at all. I don't know if they've changed the design at all. As I said, this one is 10 years old.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

So I finally got fed up with using tampons and bought myself a Diva cup. I was running out of tampons and I figured now was as good of a time as any to try it. I hardly bleed with my periods, it's a super light flow. I can just barely manage to fill up a light tampon on my heaviest day. It seems to fit alright but I think I'll have to snip off the entire stem since the end of the cup is sticking out and I can't imagine having trouble removing it.

I've long suspected that I have a small vagina but my Diva cup experience has confirmed it. Firstly, how could anyone lose the cup up there? This is a Size 1 and it's pressed right against my cervix and the tail still sticks out of my vagina. It's taking up all of the space I seem to have in my vagina. It's definitely not going anywhere. Secondly, holy poo poo did it hurt putting it in! I folded it into fours to make it tiny and it was still too big. Once it was past the vaginal os it seemed to fit fine but I think my vaginal opening is a bit too small for me to comfortably insert the cup. I mean, granted it's smaller than a penis, but still, ouch.

How are you folding it? Like a C or a U fold? I am a fan of the 7-fold or the Punchdown - both very tapered and pointy for easy insertion.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Mathematics posted:

Hey, I'm not sure if you guys have seen the Evacup on Amazon but it's fairly cheap. I think like $18.

I wanted to replace my Divacup with something pink that has a solid stem. I found the Divacup stem was really hard to clean. :barf:
(ok, and the color is boring.)

So I took a chance with the Evacup. I'm glad I did! It feels a little softer/cheaper (thinner) than the Divacup and thus is a little harder to pop open, but it's not that big of a deal. The weird thing is it only has 2 suction holes, but they're a bit bigger than the Diva ones. I really prefer them because they're a bit easier to clean.

The little bag it came in was also cute and didn't say "DIVA" all over it, which is a plus.

Overall, 10/10, would suggest.

Edit: Oh, there was a huge discussion about this on the last page . . .

Yeah, I find it much easier to clean than my Diva, and with no staining at all (the Diva was horribly discolored every month). I actually found it popped open easier than my Diva, although that may be because my Diva was somewhere around 10 years old and reaching the end of its lifespan, not sure. Slightly more difficult to get out because it feels smoother, less grippy than the Diva...which is probably why it's easier to clean. I'm very happy with it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My Diva went for about 9 years before I replaced it. There wasn't really a *need* to replace it even when I did, I just really wanted to try the Anigan EvaCup and wasn't sure the price was going to be permanent or if it was superlow as a special introductory price. I figured the Diva would need to be replaced eventually and I'd regret not buying the EvaCup when it was cheap if the price went up.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bad Sneakers posted:

Two questions -

I usually have a pretty heavy flow from having an IUD, as in soaking a pad every hour or two on my heaviest days. Will the up be able to hold all of this?

I also have a tipped uterus. Would this affect the cup at all?

No IUD for me but I do generally have a heavy flow and I have a tipped uterus. A cup works great for me - I can go longer between changes than I used to be able to with tampons and getting a good seal is pretty easy after some practice. After a big, you know what it feels like on insertion if it's right. When it doesn't feel a certain way going in, I just pull it out and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Kase moch posted:

This thread has gotten me to take the plunge and buy a meluna sport (in particular the possibility of less cramping and fewer days bleeding omg).

It got here yesterday and although I'm 2 weeks from Shark Week I tried out inserting and removing a couple times. It wasn't hard to get in there, but when I ran a finger around the rim to check the seal, the rim was okay but the cup felt kind of bent in half horizontally. Is it not up there high enough, or is the body of it supposed to be rather squished since vadges don't just hang all open, or is the meluna sport maybe too soft for me?

I find that during my period, if the cup *doesn't* have that sort of horizontal bend in it, then I don't have a good seal. That's basically what I'm feeling for when I reach up there: round rim, dented body. Everyone is different; what you're feeling is my personal ideal, YMMV when it's go time.

• Locked thread