Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SpacePig posted:

Just Turdis is fine. The series ends with Kvothe burning basically all of his bridges and never finding the Chandrian. He spends all of his time and expends every resource he has just to find Denna, who is sad and vulnerable all the time and easy to take advantage of. He finally gets to have sex with Denna, but is so good at it that he kills her, so he vows never to have sex with anyone ever again. His friends do cool things that he isn't a part of, and Ambrose get his comeuppance in a way some might consider humorous. Everything else is a footnote, at best.

Kote, having told his story and remembering his true self, surges back to his former self. However, his current body cannot handle it, and he crumbles to dust. Bast suffers a sadness of three parts, and blinks out of existence. Chronicler releases his book in 3 volumes, but at a much slower pace than he originally intended. The story's already finished, it's just stuck in editing hell, and the third volume will be out by the end of the year, he swears.
I am legitimately more interested in this concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 15, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Just Turdis is fine. The series ends with Kvothe burning basically all of his bridges and never finding the Chandrian. He spends all of his time and expends every resource he has just to find Denna, who is sad and vulnerable all the time and easy to take advantage of. He finally gets to have sex with Denna, but is so good at it that he kills her, so he vows never to have sex with anyone ever again. His friends do cool things that he isn't a part of, and Ambrose get his comeuppance in a way some might consider humorous. Everything else is a footnote, at best.

Kote, having told his story and remembering his true self, surges back to his former self. However, his current body cannot handle it, and he crumbles to dust. Bast suffers a sadness of three parts, and blinks out of existence. Chronicler releases his book in 3 volumes, but at a much slower pace than he originally intended. The story's already finished, it's just stuck in editing hell, and the third volume will be out by the end of the year, he swears.

My god. It's beautiful.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just don't see how these books can be turned into an interesting tv show. A Song of Ice and Fire was able to pull it off because it had 3 huge eventful books full of schemes, drama, battles, and character deaths to work with. This book has a few things that could be interesting on screen (Chandrian attack, hunting down the thieves, show the loving pirates and shipwrecks, Adem training could be good if they just cut it down), but most of it is watching a kid go to school and bitch about money and creep up on a girl. How the hell do you make that interesting over several seasons?

\/\/\/\/ No matter how much we all say we hate it, we're all hoping for that too \/\/\/\/

Workplace drama / comedy about being a poor college student at Not Hogwarts. Good for four seasons easily.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Drop the frame narrative, leave Kvothe's past a mystery, include actual class struggle as theme, and you have the makings of a decent show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think it'd be cool if they made the show about modern-day Kote/Kvothe dealing with the Skral or whatever, getting back to the form his legend says he was in, and leaving his past to the books.

Like, here's a show about a mysterious enemy and a hero who seems weak but has power to spare. He also knows more than he lets on about the enemy he's facing, and sometimes they seem to know more about him than they arguably should. Do you wanna know more about the specific workings of sympathy? Or vague notions of the Chandrian? Or made up exchange rates? Then read the book.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Chronicler's ink well was completely dry when he finished. His wrists ached, the length of the tale causing him to use both his adroit hands to their fullest extent. During the recording, he had been too busy to truly reflect on the content of the story. He was more an automaton than a person- write, prompt, write, refresh ink, write some more. Now though, reviewing the pages and pages of text, he realized something was wrong. He looked up to Kvothe, confused. There was more than a little hurt in his face.

"All of this..." he gestured at the table and the loose pages, "did you just.... make it up?"

"Oh my God, I can't believe you wrote that all down. I'm Devon man, I just work here."

"But," Chronicler sputtered. "What about him?!" He pointed an accusatory finger at Bast.

Bast trembled, holding back laughter, "You think you're the first guy to come in here asking for Kvothe's story? Devon, I think he really believed you!"

"I know! Oh man, Kvothe is gonna freak when he hears this."

"What do you mean, when he hears this?" Chronicler questioned, livid.

"Old Kvothe's just away on a business trip these past few days. In fact, I think that's him getting back now."

The door to the inn opened. A huge man, nearly seven feet tall, ducked in through the frame. His broad, masculine shoulders would never have fit without him turning completely sideways. His lush, red hair tumbled down his back. He was completely naked. His enormous dick just touched the ground between each step he took. The man watched Chronicler watching him in silence for a moment. Then he spoke.

"My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bast still remains the best part of the story even in the fanfic jokes.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hughlander posted:

Workplace drama / comedy about being a poor college student at Not Hogwarts. Good for four seasons easily.

Yeah but we already got The Magicians on Syfy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But how much time is dedicated to money management?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

In case it isn't obvious, it would be the sentient writing robot swarm known as Brandon Sanderson who would write it, while also writing a mistborn book, a stormlight book, and three "novellas" (60k words minimum).

The fact he decided "hey this is a long flight I guess I'll write a book" is both hilarious and terrifying.

The Wax and Wayne series is pretty good. That final scene in Bands of Mourning... :stare:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
TV show will just be a Big Bang Theory Reskin of Kvothe and his school buddies getting into hi-jinks. This will go on adinfinium with no real plot development.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Chronicler's ink well was completely dry when he finished. His wrists ached, the length of the tale causing him to use both his adroit hands to their fullest extent. During the recording, he had been too busy to truly reflect on the content of the story. He was more an automaton than a person- write, prompt, write, refresh ink, write some more. Now though, reviewing the pages and pages of text, he realized something was wrong. He looked up to Kvothe, confused. There was more than a little hurt in his face.

"All of this..." he gestured at the table and the loose pages, "did you just.... make it up?"

"Oh my God, I can't believe you wrote that all down. I'm Devon man, I just work here."

"But," Chronicler sputtered. "What about him?!" He pointed an accusatory finger at Bast.

Bast trembled, holding back laughter, "You think you're the first guy to come in here asking for Kvothe's story? Devon, I think he really believed you!"

"I know! Oh man, Kvothe is gonna freak when he hears this."

"What do you mean, when he hears this?" Chronicler questioned, livid.

"Old Kvothe's just away on a business trip these past few days. In fact, I think that's him getting back now."

The door to the inn opened. A huge man, nearly seven feet tall, ducked in through the frame. His broad, masculine shoulders would never have fit without him turning completely sideways. His lush, red hair tumbled down his back. He was completely naked. His enormous dick just touched the ground between each step he took. The man watched Chronicler watching him in silence for a moment. Then he spoke.

"My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me."

Man, if book 3 never comes out, I'm ok with this ending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Upon concluding my re-reads I was left with one thing that I hadn't really picked up on before...what the hell is up with the Lethani? Why is it so hard for anyone, Adem or otherwise, to just say "Ah yes, internal moral compass" and be done with it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jivjov posted:

Upon concluding my re-reads I was left with one thing that I hadn't really picked up on before...what the hell is up with the Lethani? Why is it so hard for anyone, Adem or otherwise, to just say "Ah yes, internal moral compass" and be done with it?

You're beginning to understand.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Kingkiller Chronicles not making sense? Surely you jest!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

This took you twelve reads?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This took you twelve reads?

I hadn't stopped to consider it before. I originally was chalking it up to Kvothe just not wrapping his head around the way the Adem approached conversation about it; but then I started picking up on other Adem not even coming close to framing it like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

Because fantasy and "world-building" authors love to create overly complex and unrealistic cultures that take 1000 words to explain something that can be accurately summed in in 20.

http://kingkiller.wikia.com/wiki/Lethani

quote:

The Lethani in many ways can relate to love and the name of the wind. It is something that our young Kvothe is looking for, but he needs slowly introduce himself to it in order to successfully understand it. It is a complex topic that cannot be discussed explicitly.

People love the whole inscrutable unknowable philosophy thing in fiction but it ends up falling apart under the weight of its own ego. How can something be so incredibly complex without the capacity to openly discuss aspects of it? It's not like people's brains will suddenly go blank if they think about it too hard. It's like someone with no philosophy background read a wiki on some philosophical schools of thought and decided to take the but make it "mystical"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 30, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Lethani would've been more interesting and thematically in line with the supposed aims of the rest of the story if it had just turned out to be phony nonsense that all the sex ninjas pretended to understand but wouldn't admit because it's too "complex" and sacred to discuss. Then you could have Kvothe infiltrating the culture by diagnosing this and faking along with them instead of just doing an earnest but half-assed Dances With Wolves bit

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

The Kingkiller Chronicles not making sense? Surely you jest!

Chronicle. Just the one. Which sounds incredibly unnatural to my ear, and might not even be grammatically correct.

Just like the rest of his writing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pentyne posted:

People love the whole inscrutable unknowable philosophy thing in fiction but it ends up falling apart under the weight of its own ego. How can something be so incredibly complex without the capacity to openly discuss aspects of it? It's not like people's brains will suddenly go blank if they think about it too hard.

There are some easy real world analogies here.

Tao Te Ching posted:

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things
Thus, constantly without desire, one observes its essence
Constantly with desire, one observes its manifestations
These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

Louis Armstrong posted:

If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Chronicle. Just the one. Which sounds incredibly unnatural to my ear, and might not even be grammatically correct.

Just like the rest of his writing.

It's an interesting question actually.

If it's referring to the three book series Patrick Rothfuss is writing, it should be plural (chronicles).

If it's referring to the in-book story that Chronicler is writing, it should be singular (chronicle).

So it's ambiguous, like what happened to Kvothe when pirates attacked!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's an interesting question actually.

If it's referring to the three book series Patrick Rothfuss is writing, it should be plural (chronicles).

If it's referring to the in-book story that Chronicler is writing, it should be singular (chronicle).

So it's ambiguous, like what happened to Kvothe when pirates attacked!

But we know that Denna's case saved him when he was ship wrecked and captured by pirates.

Patrick Rothfuss: We Denna have enough money

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Patrick Rothfuss: We Denna have enough money

mods pls

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 17: “I flipped through it, hoping to find something useful, but it was filled with sticky-sweet adventure stories meant to amuse children.”

In Chapter 37, “Bright-Eyed,” Master Lorren talks to Kvothe about tuition, and Kvothe gets his three talents. Kvothe also requests that his book be reclaimed from the pawnstore in Tarbean, which Lorren agrees to. Lorren is completely stoic and emotionless. Is he a secret Amyr? I don’t care.

Lorren introduces Kvothe to a student who will help him with formalities. Are you prepared to find out about the inner workings of the University? Do you want to know what this school of magic operates, what kind of lives are led inside this house of wonders?

quote:

Simmon kicked at a rock, sending it skipping down the cobblestones. “Okay. You’ve got options in the Mews. A talent will get you a bunk and a meal chit for the term.” He shrugged. “Nothing fancy, but it keeps the rain off. You can share a room for two talents or get one all to yourself for three.”

“What’s a meal chit?”

“Meals are three a day over in the Mess.” He pointed to a long, low-roofed building across the lawn. “The food isn’t bad so long as you don’t think too hard about where it might have come from.”

I did some quick arithmetic. A talent for two month’s worth of meals and a dry place to sleep was as good a deal as I could hope for. I smiled at Simmon. “Sounds like just the thing.”

Simmon nodded as he opened the door into the Mews. “Bunks it is, then. Come on, let’s find a steward and get you signed up.”

The bunks for non-Arcanum students were on the fourth floor of the east wing of Mews, farthest from the bathing facilities on the ground floor. The accommodations were as Sim had described, nothing fancy. But the narrow bed had clean sheets, and there was a trunk with a lock where I could keep my meager possessions.

All the lower bunks had already been claimed, so I took an upper one in the far corner of the room. As I looked out one of the narrow windows from on top of my bunk, I was reminded of my secret place high on Tarbean’s rooftops. The similarity was oddly comforting.

Lunch was a bowl of steaming-hot potato soup, beans, narrow rashers of fatty bacon, and fresh brown bread. The room’s large plank tables were nearly half full, seating about two hundred students. The room was full of the low murmur of conversation, punctuated by laughter and the metallic sound of spoons and forks scraping against the tin trays.

It’s rather unimpressive to say the least. This once again brings us back to the book’s dearth of imagination in its fantasy.

Kvothe is introduced to some other students of varying eccentricity. And we got more of Rothfuss’s preoccupation with pompous nobles:

quote:

Hylta tiam,” Sovoy continued. “There is nothing in this place I do not hate. Your weather is wild and uncivilized. Your religion barbaric and prudish. Your whores are intolerably ignorant and unmannerly. Your language barely has the subtlety to express how wretched this place is….”

Sovoy’s voice grew softer the longer he spoke, until he almost seemed to be speaking to himself. “My blood goes back fifty generations, older than tree or stone. And I am come to this,” he put his head against the palms of his hands and looked down at his tin tray. “Barley bread. Gods all around us, a man is meant to eat wheat.”

This is the first pompous noble introduced in this chapter. Bafflingly, Rothfuss also inserts a “world’s smallest violin” gag into the text:

quote:

Mouth full, Manet made a gesture with both hands as if playing an imaginary violin. He rolled his eyes, his expression vastly unsympathetic.

This is only the first annoying anachronicsm introduced in this chapter. There’s some more when Kvothe says that he wants to research the Chandrian:

quote:

Folklore’s a piece of it,” I hedged quickly, eager to save face. “I want to see if different cultures’ folktales conform to Teccam’s theory of narrative septagy.”

After signing up for classes, Kvothe heads for the Archives again, but is rebuffed by another pompous noble. This is Ambrose, who’s Draco Malfoy to Kvothe’s Harry Potter. And like Hemme’s Snape, his character suffers from the same problem that he’s a shallower version of a chidren’s book character. I still don’t fully understand why fans praise the writing of these books.

quote:

This time when I entered the Archives, there was a young gentleman sitting behind the desk, tapping a pen on a piece of paper that bore the marks of much rewriting and crossing out. As I approached, he scowled and scratched out another line. His face was built to scowl. His hands were soft and pale. His blinding white linen shirt and richly-dyed blue vest reeked of money. The part of me that was not long removed from Tarbean wanted to pick his pocket.

He tapped his pen for another few moments before laying it down with a vastly irritated sigh. “Name,” he said without looking up.

“Kvothe.”

He flipped through the ledger, found a particular page and frowned. “You’re not in the book.” He glanced up briefly and scowled again before turning back to whatever verse he was laboring over. When I made no signs of leaving he flicked his fingers as if shooing away a bug. “Feel free to piss off.”

“I’ve just—”

Ambrose put down his pen again. “Listen,” he said slowly, as if explaining to a simpleton. “You’re not in the book,” he made an exaggerated gesture toward the ledger with both hands. “You don’t get inside.” He made another gesture to the inner doors. “The end.”

Rothfuss troes to set-up a rivalry between them that never becomes gripping, entertaining, or believable. As already mentioned, Ambrose is a shallow character. He’s an elitist rear end in a top hat, and that’s all the depth he’ll ever get. Rothfuss wants us to believe that this is a question of poor against rich, but Kvothe is an entitled brat who does not represent the poor.

And their rivalry is not written with a sense of irony that would point out Kvothe’s hypocrisy. It’s deadly serious. Ambrose is basically like Kvothe’s Tarbean years, a contrivance to occupy a page-count. The plot says nothing about the characters, their world, class, etc. Ambrose’s despicability neatly aligns with the reader’s annoyance at Kvothe’s inhibition and at the plot being stopped.

quote:

“Wasting your time?” I demanded, my temper finally wearing thin. “Do you have any idea what I’ve gone through to get here?”

Ambrose looked up at me, his expression growing suddenly amused. “Wait, let me guess,” he said, laying his hands flat on the table and pushing himself to his feet. “You were always smarter than the other children back in Clodhump, or whatever little one-whore town you’re from. Your ability to read and count left the local villagers awestruck.”

I heard the outer door open and shut behind me, but Ambrose didn’t pay it any attention as he walked around to lean against the front of the desk. “Your parents knew you were special so they saved up for a couple years, bought you a pair of shoes, and sewed the pig blanket into a shirt.” He reached out to rub the fabric of my new clothes between his fingers.

“It took months of walking, hundreds of miles bumping along in the backs of mule carts. But in the end…” He made an expansive gesture with both hands. “Praise Tehlu and all his angels! Here you are! All bright-eyed and full of dreams!”

Did you notice that Ambrose is correct about Kvothe being entitled? Kvothe only began trying to reach the University and the Archives a week ago. And he’s gotten in particularly easier than most people. Ambrose is actually describing someone much more invested in getting into the University. Kvothe cheated to get in. And his determination to find the truth about his family’s death would surely justify that! But it’s impossible to separate Kvothe’s quest from his sense of entitlement. There’s certainly no iron-hard practicality at work here.

Perhaps Rothfuss realised this too, which is why he feels the need to double down on Ambrose’s classism. And what’s striking about Ambrose’s classism is how it’s inaccurate, as the reader knows that Kvothe is actually well-educated and well deserving of privilege. Thus the outrage comes from not that Ambrose thates the poor, but that Ambrose associates Kvothe with the uneducated, illiberal poor . Rothfuss ends up appealing to the classism of his readers.

This, it seems, is what the fans like about the books: they can sympathise with Kvothe’s hardship, but can distance themselves from something as uncomfortable as the poor. This same phenomenon informs the characterization of gypsies : the Edema Ruh face discrimination and marginalization, but they’re actually educated middle-class liberals, just like you! The same goes for the Tarbean sequence: it sure is hard that Kvothe is poor, but at least he’s not like those other poor. And thus pompous nobles make a perfect target for pretensions of class warfare, because otherwise Kvothe would play the part of privileged git.

When Kvothe acted the part of a pompous noble to get new clothes in Tarbean, how much of it was acting? And do you still remember Kvothe’s father bullying people by dropping his aristocratic patron’s name? Ambrose is no worse than Kvothe or his father. But again, if this is satire and we’re supposed to pick up on Kvothe’s hypocrisy, it’s underdeveloped.

quote:

Ambrose turned back to me, his smile bright, brittle, and by no means friendly. “Listen, I’m going to give you a little advice for free. Back home you were something special. Here you’re just another kid with a big mouth. So address me as Re’lar, go back to your bunk, and thank whatever pagan God you pray to that we’re not in Vintas. My father and I would chain you to a post like a rabid dog.”

He shrugged. “Or don’t. Stay here. Make a scene. Start to cry. Better yet, take a swing at me.” He smiled. “I’ll give you a thrashing and get you thrown out on your ear.” He picked up his pen and turned back to whatever he was writing.

I left.

You might think that this encounter left me disheartened. You might think I felt betrayed, my childhood dreams of the University cruelly shattered.

Quite the contrary. It reassured me. I had been feeling rather out of my element until Ambrose let me know, in his own special way, that there wasn’t much difference between the University and the streets of Tarbean. No matter where you are, people are basically the same.

Besides, anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.

In Chapter 38, “Sympathy in the Mains,” Kvothe heads out for class in the University. There’s vague descriptions of the labyrinthine main building.

The class is held by Hemme, the Snape of Kingkiller Chronicle.

quote:

Master Hemme entered the room and made his way onto the stage to stand behind a large stone worktable. He looked impressive in his dark master’s robes, and it was bare seconds before the whispering, shuffling theater of students hushed to silence.

“So you want to be arcanists?” he said. “You want magic like you’ve heard about in bedtime stories. You’ve listened to songs about Taborlin the Great. Roaring sheets of fire, magic rings, invisible cloaks, swords that never go dull, potions to make you fly.” He shook his head, disgusted. “Well if that’s what you’re looking for, you can leave now, because you won’t find it here. It doesn’t exist.”

Hemme humiliates a succession of students who arrive late. There’s some more extraneous world-building details for people who use the phrase “living, breathing world” unironically. Did you know there are different calendars in Kvothe’s world?

One of the late students is female:

quote:

“Rian, would you please cross your legs?”

The request was made with such an earnest tone that not even a titter escaped the class. Looking puzzled, Rian crossed her legs.

“Now that the gates of hell are closed,” Hemme said in his normal, rougher tones. “We can begin.”

And so he did, ignoring her for the rest of the lecture. Which, as I see it, was an inadvertent kindness.

Hemme is a somewhat more believable character than Ambrose, but on the other hand he doesn’t have the hint of satire that Ambrose brings with him. So they’re equally bad. Shallower, children’s book characters, etc. I’m still confused by how anyone considered this book an “outstanding debut”.

As the class proceeds, Kvothe realises that he already knows what’s being teached, being a boy prodigy. He brings this up with Hemme. Kvothe impresses him with a “perceived compliment,” but Hemme ends up waving him off. With free times on his hands, Kvothe heads out for the Archives, finally able to enter them.

quote:

There were two sets of double doors leading out of the antechamber, one marked STACKS and the other TOMES. Not knowing the difference between the two, I headed to the ones labeled STACKS. That was what I wanted. Stacks of books. Great heaps of books. Shelf after endless shelf of books.

I had my hands on the handles of the doors before Fela’s voice stopped me. “I’m sorry. It’s your first time in here, isn’t it?”

I nodded, not letting go of the door’s handles. I was so close. What was going to happen now?

“The stacks are Arcanum only.” She said apologetically. She stood up and walked around the desk to the other set of doors. “Here, let me show you.”

Using both hands, she tugged one of the heavy wooden doors open, revealing a large, high-ceilinged room filled with long tables. A dozen students were scattered throughout the room, reading. The room was well-lit with the unwavering light of dozens of sympathy lamps.

Fela leaned close to me and spoke in a soft voice. “This is the main reading area. You’ll find all the necessary tomes used for most of the basic classes.” She blocked the door open with her foot and pointed along one wall to a long section of shelving with three or four hundred books. More books than I had ever seen in one place before.

It’s no The Name of the Rose. Notice how vaguely the whole scene is presented. We have little idea of how one thing relates to another. The prose does not describe a cornucopia of books or a wealth of knowledge. There are a lot of books, Kvothe says.

That’s one of the more striking things about the narration: Kvothe is profoundly unimaginative. Let’s compare to how Eco has a stuffy monk narrate in The Name of the Rose:

The Name of the Rose posted:

When we reached the top of the stairs, we went through the east tower into the scriptorium, and there I could not suppress a cry of wonder. This floor was not divided in two like the one below, and therefore it appeared to my eyes in all its spacious immensity. The ceilings, curved and not too high (lower than in a church, but still higher than in any chapter house I ever saw), supported by sturdy pillars, enclosed a space suffused with the most beautiful light, because three enormous windows opened on each of the longer sides, whereas a smaller window pierced each of the five external sides of each tower; eight high, narrow windows, finally, allowed light to enter from the octagonal central well.

This is part of the description of just one room important to the narrative. The stuffy monk who narrates this is very much in touch with his sense of aesthetics, as opposed to Kvothe, the supposed son of a bard. Let’s go back to Chapter 36, where Kvothe first sees the Archives:

quote:

As I approached the Archives, its grey, windowless surface reminded me of an immense greystone. It was hard to believe after all the years of waiting that I was finally there. I circled around it until I found the entrance, a massive pair of stone doors standing wide open. Over them, chiseled deep into the stone, were the words Vorfelan Rhinata Morie. I didn’t recognize the language. It wasn’t Siaru…maybe Yllish, or Temic. Yet another question I needed answers for.

Through the stone doors was a small antechamber with a more ordinary set of wooden doors inside. I tugged them open and felt cool, dry air brush past me. The walls were bare grey stone, lit with the distinctive unwavering reddish light of sympathy lamps. There was a large wooden desk with several large, ledger-type books lying open atop it.

I’m not going to even compare it to how Eco describes a door.

Since Kvothe cannot enter the most important parts of the Archives, and has to request books. While requesting books on the Chandrian, he only gets a collection of fairy-tales. He moves on the Amyr, but while waiting is surprised by Master Lorren:

quote:

Lorren lay the request-ledger from Tomes on the table. “I noticed your request while assisting one of the newer scrivs in his duties,” he said. “You have an interest in the Chandrian and the Amyr?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Is this in regard to an assignment from one of your instructors?”

For a moment I thought about telling him the truth. About what had happened to my parents. About the story I had heard in Tarbean.

But Manet’s reaction to my mention of the Chandrian had shown me how foolish that would be. Until I’d seen the Chandrian myself, I didn’t believe in them. If anyone would have claimed to have seen them, I would have thought they were crazy.

At best Lorren would think I was delusional, at worst, a foolish child. I was suddenly pointedly aware of the fact that I was standing in one of the cornerstones of civilization, talking to the Master Archivist of the University.

Kvothe merely claims that he is curious about the Chandrian and the Amyr. Lorren can tell no more that the Amyr started out as travelling judges in the Aturan Empire, and Kvothe does not talk about Skarpi’s stories.

Is Lorren a secret Amyr? It would make sense, but would not improve the plot. The intrigue is underdeveloped because he plays a very small role in the story despite his early prominence.

quote:

Lorren took my silence as a response. “A piece of advice,” he said gently. “The Amyr are dramatic figures. When we are young we all pretend to be Amyr and fight battles with willow-switch swords. It is natural for boys to be attracted to those stories.” He met my eyes. “However, a man, an arcanist, must focus himself on the present day. He must attend to practical things.”

He held my eyes as he continued to speak. “You are young. Many will judge you by that fact alone.” I drew a breath, but he held up a hand. “I am not accusing you of engaging in boyish fancy. I am advising you to avoid the appearance of boyish fancy.” He gave me a level look, his face as calm as always.

I thought of the way Ambrose had treated me and nodded, feeling color rise to my cheeks.

Lorren brought out a pen and drew a series of hashes through my single line of writing in the ledger book. “I have a great respect for curiosity,” he said. “But others do not think as I do. I would not see your first term unnecessarily complicated by such things. I expect things will be difficult enough for you without that additional worry.”

I bowed my head, feeling as if I’d somehow disappointed him. “I understand. Thank you, sir.”

ROTHFUSSIAN ANACHRONISMS

quote:

“Goddamn first-termers,” Ambrose groused as he headed back around to sit behind the desk. “Come in here dressed like rag piles and act like they own the place.”

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 8, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Re: ROTHFUSSIAN ANACHRONISMS

What's the issue with that one? Groused?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Re: ROTHFUSSIAN ANACHRONISMS

What's the issue with that one? Groused?

"First-termers"

"act like they own the place"

Goddamn is at least from the 14th century.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"First-termers"

"act like they own the place"

Goddamn is at least from the 14th century.

What year exactly are you taking Rothfuss as having set the Kingkiller Chronicles in? Even if it was set in our timeline I would think it could not be set not much earlier than the 14th century to pick up the University?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn feels more out of place due to the distinct lack of dominant religion in that world.
Anyhow wikipedia tells me the first universtiy was founded in Italy in 1088.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Goddamn feels more out of place due to the distinct lack of dominant religion in that world.
You must be joking. Did you forget the Inquisition?

anilEhilated posted:

So...how long after that University was founded did it take to get a continent-wide reputation for being the place to go?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I did. I also vaguely remember some nonsensical fake mythology but can't recall if they called their god-figure "god".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

University is a stretch, it was basically a church with more reading and discussing (so long as it conformed to church doctrine).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The whole sentence is modern, kind of naturalistic style - is this how a highly-educated Renaissance noble speaks down to his inferiors?

It's not as bad as "world's smallest violin," but come on, it's a ridiculous phrase to put in a novel where characters weave gossamer with music.

It's like a character in a non-parodic fantasy novel saying "it's a Goddamn huge dragon and it's going to come over here and eat us".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

It's like a character in a non-parodic fantasy novel saying "it's a Goddamn huge dragon and it's going to come over here and eat us".

That sounds like Joe Abercrombie tbh.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's The Name of the Wind.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

It's The Name of the Wind.

...yes? I'm saying I can imagine a character in a non-parodic fantasy novel, specifically one written by Joe Abercrombie, saying "it's a Goddamn huge dragon and it's going to come over here and eat us".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Pulp fantasy like Abercrombie's stuff is supposed to be ridiculous. That is the appeal. It also keeps a consistent tone.

The Name of the Wind can't decide what it wants to be, hence gossamer music and goddamn dragons in the same novel. These two tones, as I've noted, aren't used for contrast.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 10, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I too find fault with characters talking in semi-modern tones in a make belief fantasy universe where there is a university where magic science is studied.

Certainly I've never read another series where that sort of language is used. No sir.

The only thing I've been agreeing with you on so far is that Rothfuss needs to make his descriptions a little more impactful. So you've got that point, at least.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

I too find fault with characters talking in semi-modern tones in a make belief fantasy universe where there is a university where magic science is studied.

1. There is no place for dull anachronisms in a fantasy adventure about gossamer music.

2. There is no place for Kvothe recalling dull anachronisms while narrating his fantasy adventures about gossamer music.

3. It's kind of funny how people ignore the world's smallest violin bit while defending dull anachronisms.

quote:

Certainly I've never read another series where that sort of language is used. No sir.

You're supposed to compare it to well-written fiction.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Lamp man, you can poo poo talk someone I don't like to your hearts content, but when you bring my treasured sword armed space raptors into it, there's going to be a problem.

For real though, Malazan is great.

• Locked thread