Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

He will learn techniques like "Whispering Hand"

It's probably a commentary on Rothfuss that I can't tell whether you're joking or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
This goes back to my main complaint with Name of the Wind, which was that, discarding plot entirely and looking solely at the choice and style of words used, it was very, very obvious that here was a man who'd spent most of his formative moments on the internet. And if he hasn't, then nonetheless he still writes like he has.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
On the theme of the above, I'd also like to contribute that published authors, nevermind grown men, shouldn't unironically (or ironically) use the word "nekkid."

Please.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Days late, but I just finished. Was fun, for all my snark from earlier.

He's no Guy Gavriel Kay, but Rothfuss is a decent wordsmith from a pulp sort of view and the story itself was entertaining if plodding at times. There were also a handful of genuinely funny moments that got the better of me, precisely because the book is so desperate to be taken seriously the rest of the time and it was a bit like being ambushed by a grotesque.

Though I'm not ashamed to say I started skipping whole paragraphs with Denna in them. She's incredibly kitchy and helpless, and all the more so because I'm sure Rothfuss is trying to write her as his idea of a strong feminist supporting lead.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
The problem is just that it's senseless, which I find curious, because you really have to work at it to make sex senseless. It's in R. R. Martin books to add hard-boiled realism as a counterbalance to the puffs of smoke and wiggled fingers you get in high fantasy. It's in pulp romance novels to arouse bored housewives. It's in Whedon's creations to provide commentary on the rising tide of feminism or whatever. It's in ads for reasons that everybody rolls their eyes at but at least have purpose.

It's in Wise Man's fear because Kvothe needs to be a man of the world according to his checklist of requisite holistic badassness, and apparently rather than attain this by being a man of the world it instead gets neatly supplied via exhibitionist holy monks.

The part where the immortal naked sex fairy lets him have his way with her and then gapes in stark disbelief at his performance as he adroitly mentions his lost virginity was honestly the most painful moment I've had in recent literature. It was like I'd stumbled into a 4chan subforum designed to cloister those whose afflictions were too extreme to air out publicly even there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Granted I'm not female, but I would think that from a gender perspective Denna would be even more offensive than all the gratuitous fairy sex. She's cast as a strong, self-sufficient female character without peer among the entire world of available bed partners, all of which are now apparently ripe plums for the taking as Kvothe has mastered the art of making women orgasm by looking at them with an "experienced eye" or whatever that retarded line was from the inn.

Instead her range of talents include being good with music, counseling rape victims to commit to whoring because as women they're not good enough to make it in the world any other way, and letting herself get beat up by some dude because she's apparently still 16 and has to date the jock over the good guy protagonist. She's such a contrived character.

Rothfuss writes women like the typecast celibate goon trying to wildly overcompensate, which I find odd because I don't know how you can spend 10 years in college without getting laid a ridiculous amount.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 9, 2011

• Locked thread