Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

cuddlefish posted:

This is cool, because my take on it was the complete opposite- that he was basically saying, "I thought it was the old days and I was going to kick their scummy, bullying bandit asses, but... I can't anymore."

I took it more like Benson did in that it seemed to me that he was just not kicking rear end to try and protect his identity. But now that I think about it, didn't the book have a line about Kvothe trying to use the two handed break that the little girl taught him and that he looked surprised when it failed? Though at the very end it has something about him going downstairs and making "one perfect step" which implies that if he did lose his true name, he was able to keep his Ketan somehow. I have the book on Kindle, so it's a pain in the rear end to go back and look over older sections.

Also, I agree about the Kvothe's mother angle. That seems to fit with everything in the book, and with him having the chest later on. Do we think the really soldierly guy with the Maer was an Amyr or one of the Chandrian though? That was my first thought when the hate tree said something about the Maer being closer to the Amyr than he knew, though it could have something to do with the box.

Overall, I enjoyed the book but I agree with people about THAT scene, and also I really did think he would have been kicked out of the University by the middle of the book. And when he went back to visit the city where he grew up as a street urchin, I really thought he would go talk to the priest from the first book who seemed to know more about what was going on. Deena annoys me, but I don't hate the scenes, I just want them to be over so we can get onto something thats worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Ok, from the link above:

quote:

Another linquistic similarity that I thought might become a plot point is the similarity between ‘Adem’ and ‘Edema Ruh’. The Adem say that they were driven from their lands and moved to the places that no one wanted. The Edema Ruh have no land of their own and wander. The Adem scorn music and song and public display of emotion, while the Edema Ruh are the exact opposite. It made me wonder if they were once the same people and a schism divided them as they were driven from their lands

I haven't read Wheel of Time in a long time, but isn't this exactly what happened with the desert people and the gypsies in that story?

• Locked thread