Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur
I just put it down.

I agree with thinking: Lady lackless is Kvothe's aunt. Not having reread NOTW since august it was just in the back of my head that his mom was swooped away from nobility by his dad, etc. etc. I think the wooden chest in his room probably contains a still unopened box from the Lady.

What surprised me tho: Is that Kvothe, haven't killed the Chandrian yet. I kinda thought that would build up in this book and then the third would be how he destroys them. I guess it'll still be like that, only in "present time" rather in story mode, which is a twist I appreciate (at least so far).

I didn't have any issues with the book until: he suddenly "fast forwards". He basicly goes "The story isn't going anywhere so I'll be an exhange student for a year". It happens way too fast compared to the pace so far in the book.

The Fae world was interesting enough, the Ctaeth was a cool touch and how he got his cloak was also fine. Not impressed with Ferulian but he didn't win her with his love or what not. Elodin elaborates quickly on this guessing Kvothe's sleeping mind saw her true name. Never having actually been put in her place by a mortal, she would probably think of that interesting enough. Thank God he didn't go into Richard Morgan mode, ""Felurian sat on Kvothe's love pole in the shallow pool in the magic world, her natural magic engulfing it inside her while pulsating tiny lightning up his rear end"", each sex scene lasting 10 pages. Didn't care much for the kama sutra thing either.

Not a fan of Denna anymore. In NOTW I liked her and didn't mind the bantering between them but now I just wanted any scene with her go away as fast as possible.

The Ketan being a tai chi/yoga combo was a little sour, and that whole Adem training camp felt like an old Jackie Chan movie. STI's, how Kvothe views women and how they view man-mothers and so forth was just awkward.

In the end there are still questions I want answered. We know Cinder was in the camp but we don't know why. Saying he was just chilling with some robbers doesn't feel right because their camp was obviously much more organized than regular bandit camps. So, since they're attacking the Maer, Cinder must have some interest with him. Ctaeth tells Kvothe he will get closer to the Amyr through the Maer. I also wonder about The Chandrian, The Amyr, Bast, was the horrible Ferulian storyline a way of getting him his powers back in book 3? And so on and so forth.

Lastly I don't think Kvothe couldn't handle the two soldiers in the inn. It feels like he gave up during the fight to prove a point of being an innkeeper. There's so much emphasis on him trying to downplay himself to the innkeeper he is today. Bast is pissed at the outcome and takes care of the soldiers. No need to really so why do it unless he thinks they tipped Kvothe off without even knowing it.

I'm ranting and I'm not that good at explaining myself. I don't read that many books and I thought Name of the Wind was a 6/6 The Wise Man's Fear is more of a 4/6 for me.

We can compare Rothfuss to Abercrombie or Lynch if we want to but out of all their books (that I've read) I still like NOTW most. Lies of Locke Lamorra a close second, then Abercrombies trilogy, Red Seas Under Red Skies and then Wise Man's Fear. Haven't read "Best Served Cold" or "Heroes" so I can't comment on those.

As a side note I was surprised the comic summary of NOTW had errors in them. I could be wrong since I read it last august but in the comic they say he met Denna in Imre, getting his pipes. This isn't true, he met Denna walking up to the university with the small caravan.

OxeHunden fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread