Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You know, I don't think that the whole Felurian thing would have been so bad if they had cut everything between when he promises to return with the song and when he chats with the Hating Tree. Winning her over with the promise of an unwritten song had a wonderful fairy tale feel to it that I liked. Unfortunately, the gratuitous sex really soured the whole thing for me.

I think I liked the book most for everything up until the Felurian. Then it sort of went downhill. Sorry, Rothfuss, but you can't get away with having both a being of lust incarnate and a colony of free-loving exhibitionists in the same book without it getting extra weird.

I thought the shift away from the university at the middle was pretty funny, like he realized he was going on far too long, which is why he glossed over the shipwreck.

All in all, I liked the book. I liked Kvothe getting completely rundown when Ambrose has his blood, I liked Devi handing him his rear end as a result. I liked Elodin.

I thought the book was worthwhile, but it could have been much better. Too few questions were answered, to the point where this felt less like the second book in a trilogy, more like a part of a longer series, as some have mentioned before.

In terms of theories, I'm fond of the idea that the power loss is due to Kvothe changing his name. I remember thinking something along those lines while reading the first book, when Bast mentions how Kvothe has been playing the role of the unassuming innkeeper so well, that he has begun to forget who he was, and is suffering for it. I was under that impression that that was why his power didn't work--which makes sense when you think about it. Sympathy works by mental tricks, you believe wholeheartedly that X is really one and the same and Y, and so you can make it move or whatever. If he instead believes he is not the kind of person who can work magic, it becomes difficult or impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread