Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well Kvothe didn't hold up so well against those soldiers Bast sent so it's clear the current Kvothe is either embellishing or has just lost a lot of powers.
Kvothe does seem to be a bit too good at everything, but at least he runs into his fair share of problems. Told from first person it's not hard to see that the character telling the story might unconsciously make himself look better than he is. The bit with Felurian in this book grated on my nerves a bit, but it was handled better than it could have been.

Overall I still like this series a lot, hoping to see the next book out in less than 6 years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I wasn't sure what to make of that part with the Adem and babies. How can they not realize that? When the one character laughed at Kvothe I wanted to shake her and say "How can your culture be that stupid?!"

But I didn't find the worldbuilding to be that unbelievable. The Adem are separated by part of a mountainrange and are very insular, so it makes sense they'd be a lot different. As for the other places they seem about as different as other nations can be from one another in reality. Not exactly sure what you guys are complaining about when you say "nothing is connected to anything else".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man he should have not taken any herbs and then when a bunch of Adem girls got pregnant and had barbarian-looking babies with red hair he could be like "told you, bitches"

Goddamn Rothfuss just missing opportunities all over the drat place.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm going to have to do a reread of Rothfuss because I looked at the stuff about Auri on that reddit link and had no idea who the character was.

Same here. I know my memory for specifics in books isn't great, but why can't I at all remember a character who's apparently important enough to get their own novel?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

There are much better choices for people who enjoy purple prose, even within the fantasy genre. It is hard to admire him for the "And it was a silence of three parts," passage when there are authors like Mervyn Peake who are that lavishly descriptive on a consistent and cohesive basis. And that's without even getting into yer canonical Great Authors.

The fact that it's inconsistent might be attractive to some people. Creates contrast between the parts you're supposed to really notice and imagine and the parts you just breeze through as you process the story.

Reading that kind of prose consistently would get pretty tiring, regardless of if it's good or bad lavish prose.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well Miranda will make the music better. And maybe he'll weed out some of the institutionalized sexism, or the female characters will seems more developed in the hands of experienced female actors.

I'm optimistic, as long as Rothfuss doesn't become the kind of executive producer that storms on set and demands that his vision be met at all costs. But he's probably not assertive enough to do something like that, even if he wanted to.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Confusingly that cover is by a guy who does covers for Neil Gaiman, Ken Liu, and a bunch of other major people. I wanna know who the art director approving this stuff is if we're seeing all these problems but editorial is totally missing it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like the related video title: "What women screwed you over so much that made you want to write Denna?"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He should set up a kickstarter to get someone to ghostwrite the third book based on his draft. I'd fund it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOftheLamps what genre/fantasy fiction do you like? Are there any you really love? Or do you read them partially for entertainment and partially just to hate on them?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

You seem to have really latched on to the idea that if a story is not written with the mindset of its time then it's worthless. How much writing from the medieval or renaissance period from a first person perspective is there to draw on? And wouldn't it feel incredibly fake in the hands of a modern writer? If every book set during that period has to be written like Children of Hurin then most fantasy would be unreadable to me.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aren't they making a First Law tv show or something? How the hell is Glokta going to be conveyed in that?

Can't find any info on it. They tried making a comic series and it got canceled after 4 issues so I doubt they'd think the series has legs enough for a TV show.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Being ignored by people for mocking genre trash is like being denounced by r/incel for being a normal person.

Why are you even in this thread then? Go to the literature thread if you don't like people reading fantasy novels.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The inferiority complex of genre fans compels them not to think of genre novels as real "literature," as seen here.

I mean, it depends. Most genre fiction is trying to be entertainment reads with subject matter that we enjoy. Some usually contain some criticism of the modern world or a lens on which to view our current predicaments, but that isn't their primary goal. Whereas I think "good literature" tries to do the latter much more often.

But again, why are you in this thread if you think all genre fiction is trash and the people who read them have inferiority complexes? Are you just a troll?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I always thought YA meant the main characters are, well, young adults. I wrote a book which I'd like to market as YA, but the characters are adults so I didn't think it would fit. Maybe I'll reappraise that!

The Traitor Baru Cormorant is very good. It's no Ghormenghast though so I'm sure Bravest of Lamps would hate it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

:crossarms: What are you talking about? I was talking about Ccs's post about Traitor Batu Cormorant.

I'm not sure what you're actually trying to accomplish here, really.

You didn't even critique the book though. You just read a summary and called it drivel out of hand. So I posted a similarly snarky and vapid response.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rothfuss doesn't have to worry about the fantasy market forgetting he exists so that's a lot of pressure off of actually having to write in a timely manner.

• Locked thread