Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onefish
Jan 15, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Where did you hear this? I've heard several times that he turned it in a long time ago. Also, if he hadn't even turned IN the final manuscript, I find it highly unlikely Amazon would be listing a release date about a month away.

EDIT: Meh, internet information seems to back up it not being out anytime soon. Sigh.

The actual publisher is still listing the third book as out in February 2011 (http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/the-republic-of-thieves-hardback), so I believe it will happen. Haven't heard a thing from Lynch himself on the internet in months, though, so no idea how things will proceed afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Danger posted:

I remember reading half of this book when it came out due to the suggestion of a friend. If you like the fantasy genre you'll probably like it.

I think someone mentioned earlier how similar some of the concepts are to A Wizard of Earthsea, which is an absolutely beautiful book and much more intelligent and engaging than this book was. This guy really did lift whole concepts wholesale from Earthsea and it is kind of grating.
So if you are in doubt as to whether you will like this, don't read it and read Le Guin instead.

Okay, so yes, Le Guin's books, complete and utter classics of the genre, validated by decades and a few hundred thousand readers, may be better (though they're different types of books, and it's kind of an apples and oranges situation). But she did not invent the idea of the importance of true names to magic, and Rothfuss is not the first after her to use the idea, either.

Plus, interestingly enough, Le Guin herself gave a blurb for Name of the Wind, which she doesn't seem to do that often: http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/reviews.asp#ursulaleguin

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Rothfuss put up a summary of Name of the Wind in cartoon form for those who don't want to reread the book before the sequel, but need some kind of memory refresher: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/our-story-thus-far/

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have no idea how I missed this. You are absolutely right.

Also, Faerotica was mentioned in the first book, and the word is awesome, so I just want to display it outside of spoiler text.

Anyway, I had this overwhelming fear that Kvothe was going to learn about women from Auri, which would basically be Rothfuss saying it's ok to gently caress retarded people. Also, if it was so easy for Kvothe to kill a handful of people by using a body as a simulacrum, why didn't Ambrose, in his infinite wealth, just have a dude killed then stab him in the heart really hard? Kvothe didn't defend against the first handful of attacks, would have been good game. In fantasy books with intricate magic systems, it's things like this which make me angry.

Thoughts on the spoiler:
Ambrose didn't actually know who he was attacking when he was doing that malfeasance stuff - he was just using the blood from whoever broke into his room, right, and attacking the remainder blood where it (presumably) resided within the body of the burglar. Kvothe using the body as a simulacrum required line of sight, "alar" use (and possibly Kvothe's personally incredibly strong "alar") to convince himself that this body and that body over there are the same, etc.

Also, for all the missteps Rothfuss might make with depicting sex & romantic relations, he never sexualizes/has Kvothe sexualize Auri, so I'm not sure where that fear came from.

But yeah, Manet is totally a Rothfuss-type, not sure how I missed that, either.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 5, 2011

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Tsvi posted:

If the innkeeper is 30ish (how I thought of him, and I think he was described), and he's 17 at the end of the book 2, been in the inn for a few years... will book three cover almost 10 years, that's roughly the duration of book 1 and 2. Will we also see any progression once the story is over...or will he just finish the telling his story and the series ends?

I think Chronicler observed that Kote/Kvothe should only have been about 25, but "seemed a lot older." Time spent in Fae probably had something to do with that, in addition to all the other stuff Kvothe must have gone through to end up where he is.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Not to completely derail the making-fun-of-Rothuss train, but there's a really cool speculation post up at Tor.com from Jo Walton, rounding up analysis and deductions from several sources. Lots of spoilers, obviously.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/sleeping-under-the-wagon-more-spoilers-for-patrick-rothfusss-the-wise-mans-fear

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Flatscan posted:

I think it was posted earlier in this thread that the only editorial input he got was a loose upper-limit on the total wordcount.

Eh, I recall his editorial posts from the blog, not quite accurate. A couple posts from googling "Patrick Rothfuss drafts":

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/02/is-it-drafty-in-here/
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2010/04/i-said-id-tell-you-when-i-knew/

So basically, he'd sent in three drafts and probably went back and forth with the editor on all of them - he gets specific about it with the draft 3 - before presumably turning in a draft four that would be the final draft. He seems to do a ton of the revision on his own, but it's not like he was completely unedited. Just unedited as far as wordcount limits.

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 21, 2011

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

Spoiler regarding an interview about writing the series: I read in an interview he added the framing story quite late in development on the first level, and way after he outlined the whole thing. And he also said while he has added stuff, the general outline and ending hasn't really changed. So that to me would imply you're not getting much out of the framing story.

Dude, to go from that spoiler to "not getting much out of the framing story" is crazy. Structure, the way you tell the story, has a massive effect on the way a reader/listener/viewer experiences the literal one-by-one events of a plot. I suspect that's a major part of what this particular story is about. And THAT is something he as a writer could figure out and decide well after outlining the rise and fall of a "hero" named Kvothe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Kadath posted:

As soon as he was introduced in The Name of the Wind, I've pictured Elodin as Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack wearing wizard robes.

You have just improved my reading experience severalfold. Thanks, bud!

• Locked thread