Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
just one more day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Crap.
Expected delivery says the 8th.

That's just not good. It says it's shipping from New Jersey.
I didn't even know there were books in New Jersey.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

hot pants posted:

This ain't being spoilered, but Manet is the biggest self-insertion character ever.

from a post publishing interview found at Bookbanter.net:

Interview posted:

Alex: If you could live in your world: where would you live, who would you be, and what would you do?

Patrick: I'd live at the University. I'd one of the arcanists that stays at the University, a giller. I'd teach a few small classes, enjoy the cosmopolitant atmosphere, and spend a lot of time reading books in the Archives.

Manet much ?

...I'm loving the book though

Bantaras fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 7, 2011

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

yup.

those parts might have been far easier to read if I didn't know what the author looked like.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

I happened to read in one of the Amazon reviews on the speculation of Ambrose being the King he kills (from the comment that he was one of the guys in line to be king in NotW) this comment:

Amazon Review posted:

...if Ambrose is the King he kills in the end to start the war (seeing as how Ambrose is 13th in line for the throne and 4 people in that line were killed during the course of the novel)...

I completely missed that. Who were the 4 nobles killed in WMF?
Also, when that list of families in line to be king was given, did anyone notice that Lackless was listed before Ambrose?
Sorry if I missed this if it has been mentioned before, anyway it probably doesn't matter since Kvothe's parents never married .

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

I really, really wanted to love this book.

Dang it Rothfuss didn't your blog say you had "beta readers"? I wonder what these guys have to say for themselves?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Habibi posted:

Bast has pretty much come out and said that Kvothe is a shadow of the person he once was, that he's lost all belief in himself

Yup
a man waiting to die as mentioned in both books so far.

...the third silence, right guys?

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

Liesmith posted:

It kind of makes you wonder what his editor was thinking.

Habibi posted:

Who the hell is this guy's editor and why did she allow this book to hit the shelves in its current form?

Tolli posted:

It should have been edited more.

Above Our Own posted:

His editor really needs to grow a pair and tell him that his stuff just rants on and on.

Sophia posted:

As with most things, the problem wasn't with the story idea but with the execution (and lack of stern editing).

DirtyDiaperMask posted:

but goddamn Rothfuss really needs a better(stricter) editor.

Nope, Benson Cunningham,
I think I figured out what the silence of the third part was.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

ace_beef posted:

...what are some similar or better fantasy books?

Above Our Own posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

I am very much enjoying "Lies" thanks to that post. I'm about half of the way into it and I'm dreading finishing because I don't want it to end.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

i really do think you guys would enjoy Scott Lynch.
just sayin

• Locked thread