Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wherefore set upon this magical round hill, the windmills go Round and Round as do we all
its weird how im reacting to all this... the heart of the industry and "slates for sarah" is incredible. did any of you guys ever meet her? I did once on a commercial in charleston, she was sweet. two of my good friends worked with her all the time and they are just the biggest mess right now, it sucks. this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Surreal Windmill posted:

its weird how im reacting to all this... the heart of the industry and "slates for sarah" is incredible. did any of you guys ever meet her? I did once on a commercial in charleston, she was sweet. two of my good friends worked with her all the time and they are just the biggest mess right now, it sucks. this sucks.

I'm on set in South Africa and I saw the crew here had "RIP Sarah Jones" in the clapper one day.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'm all in favour of risky working environments if it means more "making of" people get killed. They're like a loving disease, with their 5Ds and their mutant craning necks, getting in the way of everything, eating the food during takes. No matter how small or pointless the gig, there is always a Making Of Dude on set. I want them dead. DEAD.

PastPerfect
Nov 23, 2004

Rocking it out with my 60hz Hum

Nap Ghost
So, I've been working on a few TV formats over the past year and taking some meetings around town (LA)and I'm finally at a point where I'm gaining interest on a few of my concepts. I have a production company right now offering me an option agreement for a few of them but I'm kinda stuck. I'm still without representation from an agency so it limits who is willing to work with me and because I have not been able to sell something no agent is willing to rep me. It's a loving catch-22.
I'm setting up a meeting with my ent. lawyer this week to have them review the option but I keep getting the nagging sensation that my interests and wallet would be better served if I had an agent who knew the ins and outs.
Has anyone else run into this situation? What did you have to do to finally get an agent or how did you manage to work without one?

PastPerfect fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 4, 2014

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

echoplex posted:

I'm all in favour of risky working environments if it means more "making of" people get killed. They're like a loving disease, with their 5Ds and their mutant craning necks, getting in the way of everything, eating the food during takes. No matter how small or pointless the gig, there is always a Making Of Dude on set. I want them dead. DEAD.

...dude.

Though, you've got me thinking: someone should really make a Making Of of Making Ofs.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I wanted to do a reality show about PA's. And then as the series progresses, the PAs become Diva's and start ordering around the PA's on THEIR show and then those PA's become in the show and then they hire MORE PA's until its just a meta-mess.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Freed slaves owning slaves, then?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Eh, the EPK guys serve a purpose. Don't kill them. Just tell them to stop eating all your food. That's what it's about, isn't it?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

Eh, the EPK guys serve a purpose. Don't kill them. Just tell them to stop eating all your food. That's what it's about, isn't it?

The constant grazing is obnoxious, but it's much more how well they get in the way. The type who think it's important to get a candid shot of one of my prop guys cleaning a counter top or that 'lyfe on set' photo of the second AC testing the monitor cables - gently caress off. There's also a universe of difference between a pro EPK crew and some goon with a 5D servicing a producer's vanity.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 4, 2014

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

echoplex posted:

There's also a universe of difference between a pro EPK crew and some goon with a 5D servicing a producer's vanity.

God yes. The undying presumption that you need BTS and anyone gives a gently caress how your production was made blows my mind. Unless you're releasing a highly-anticipated DVD and there's a reasonable expectation for bonus materials, you don't need that poo poo.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Slim Killington posted:

God yes. The undying presumption that you need BTS and anyone gives a gently caress how your production was made blows my mind. Unless you're releasing a highly-anticipated DVD and there's a reasonable expectation for bonus materials, you don't need that poo poo.

At other times, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Weni_0eCk

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Slim Killington posted:

Not true. Most distributors and sales agents expect/demand some kind of EPK (BTS) as a standard deliverable.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

echoplex posted:

Freed slaves owning slaves, then?

P much yes.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

therattle posted:

Not true. Most distributors and sales agents expect/demand some kind of EPK (BTS) as a standard deliverable.

I've never been in an instance where BTS was even close to meaning the same thing as EPK.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Slim Killington posted:

I've never been in an instance where BTS was even close to meaning the same thing as EPK.

Where I come from an EPK is a 15-25 minute programme about the making of the film, with cast and director interviews, behind the scenes footage, etc.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
EPK, in my world, usually consists of stand alone cast interviews (3-5 min in length for each cast member) and BTS broll clip (~10 min in length)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

There's a time and a place, though.

I've done adverts for z-list brands that have had an online Making Ofs tens of times longer than the ad itself. I'm not disputing what you're saying - a worthwhile EPK/BTS is a useful commodity - but plenty of them are for vanity's sake. And as I said before, a proper EPK crew should know how to handle themselves on set.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

therattle posted:

Where I come from an EPK is a 15-25 minute programme about the making of the film, with cast and director interviews, behind the scenes footage, etc.

I'm used to cast/director/producer interviews, behind-the-scenes photos, and any professional production/marketing materials yet available. I've never been asked for an actual featurette before, that's crazy.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
My favorite moment with a BTS crew was last year when we were rolling and I saw the BTS operator standing right on the edge of my frame filming me. I thought to myself "no way he's this stupid!" but sure enough, he began inching his way right into my frame. It was surreal, like he didn't even notice the fact that my lens was pointing his way (the old saying that if you can see the lens, it can see you apparently didn't apply to him). And boom, right in the middle of a hugely dramatic scene this guy is just standing right next to the actor in the frame. I genuinely was speechless. The 1st, however, was not nearly as speechless when he came thundering onto the set to kick the poor guy out. Never saw him again. I will never know what went through the guy's mind at the time, it wasn't like he hadn't seen the rehearsals or anything, his lens was right up my rear end for most of the blocking. My mind was thoroughly blown that day.

Other than that I usually don't mind them as long as they're unobtrusive but that's becoming more rare, some are starting to think of themselves as more important than the main crew, or so it feels. Fortunately I've always been able to avoid being interviewed, despite the frequent requests, by constantly being called away. We set up a secret signal just for that purpose, whenever that signal is given you will be called away immediately by someone for something important somewhere else. I recommend this technique for everyone, works a treat!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

bows1 posted:

I wanted to do a reality show about PA's. And then as the series progresses, the PAs become Diva's and start ordering around the PA's on THEIR show and then those PA's become in the show and then they hire MORE PA's until its just a meta-mess.

I actually applied earlier this year for a PA job on a reality show with that exact premise, and it sounded about as far up its own rear end as you'd expect. Never heard back from them, though. I wonder if it'll take off.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Steadiman posted:

Massively detailed forum post
I'm sorry, can you come over here real quick? It's urgent.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Sagacity posted:

I'm sorry, can you come over here real quick? It's urgent.
Of course. Sorry thread, I'll get back to you as soon as I can, just gotta deal with this first.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Steadiman posted:

Of course. Sorry thread, I'll get back to you as soon as I can, just gotta deal with this first.

Wait wait wait one questio...

poo poo

Welp time to go to crafty.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am sure some people doing EPK stuff think they are going to hit pay dirt and get something like Lost in La Mancha or Overnight, when really, they'll be lucky if their poo poo makes it on a DVD in a press kit.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am sure some people doing EPK stuff think they are going to hit pay dirt and get something like Lost in La Mancha or Overnight, when really, they'll be lucky if their poo poo makes it on a DVD in a press kit.

Lost In La Mancha though, you've got a director notorious for making movies that are wildly-expensive and plagued with production problems because the dude just doesn't plan. You know going into that, it's gonna be worth shooting because something's gonna go way bad.

And because he has that history, people are interested and want to see that sort of thing. But the guy you're doing BTS for, he's not Terry Gilliam. Most people don't know who he is, and don't give a poo poo what happens during his production. Lost In La Mancha is a rare case.

The best you can hope for is that your project becomes a sensation or a cult hit, and then you have the stuff to "dig up."

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
You guys would kill Stan Winston if you had your way.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheBigBad posted:

You guys would kill Stan Winston if you had your way.

I have some bad news for you.

Surreal Windmill
May 18, 2007

Wherefore set upon this magical round hill, the windmills go Round and Round as do we all
Our producers requested (demanded) that we take off the RIP Sarah labels from our slates today. What. The gently caress.

I'm really surprised camera dept didn't raise a bigger stink about it, but word is getting around and people on facebook are putting the show on blast calling for boycotts and for people to leave the show, ugh.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Put it on shirts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Replace it with "RIP Tosh Guy".

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Anyone optioned a book? What's the deal with that?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

echoplex posted:

Yes. Quite a few times. What do you want to know?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
How, what, who, how much, sign what, who dies, all of that.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Is there a standard form to fill? We can do this by email if you like.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

echoplex posted:

Is there a standard form to fill? We can do this by email if you like.

I'll answer here in case others find it interesting. There is no single answer. It all depends on what you are optioning, who the copyright holder is, what rights, for how long, etc. Everybody dies. Email me details and I'll try give specific guidance.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'll give you an email in the morning, I've spent all day looking at dead prostitutes. (thanks)

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

echoplex posted:

Find the publisher. Call the publisher. Find out that Scott Rudin optioned it for 50 years before the author was done with the second chapter.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NeuroticErotica posted:

Find the publisher. Call the publisher. Find out that Scott Rudin optioned it for 50 years before the author was done with the second chapter.

I prefer the route of managing to option something easily and cheaply because although good it's so obscure that it'll never make a commercially viable film.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

therattle posted:

I prefer the route of managing to option something easily and cheaply because although good it's so obscure that it'll never make a commercially viable film.

I'd reckon he has 80% of those, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I wrote a pilot two years ago, but the production company shifted focus and decided not to move forward with the web series. The actors were all still interested in continuing, and as the IP is mine we shopped the series around to a few other Chicago-area production companies, but indies being indies they were all focused on their own projects.

After taking a few production class I decided to give forming my own production company a go; I know enough local talent that I have a nice pool of crew to draw from.

Things are progressing pretty well at this point, and we're talking to an entertainment lawyer about incorporation issues, but I thought I'd put it out there to other working professionals: Should we be forming an S-Corp or an LLC? For the production company level, and for the project level?

• Locked thread