Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think the first release of Swordfish is the only DVD besides Memento that does that, you can choose how you want the movie to end and there's only one cut of the movie on the disk, just the last chapter or two are different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
This was one of the benefits of the VHS generation, my parents could edit movies themselves, just record TV static over the offending part. That way I could watch Christmas Vacation as a small child without the part where he cusses up a storm at the end, or a similar scene in Trains, Planes and Automobiles. That way I got to see a lot of great movies and they still got to protect my developing mind. I don't know what I'M going to do with my son when he's old enough to watch movies. I wish I could do the same thing easily. I could rip and edit I suppose, but that's a lot of effort, and by the time he's old enough everything will be streaming anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SquareDog posted:

This was one of the benefits of the VHS generation, my parents could edit movies themselves, just record TV static over the offending part. That way I could watch Christmas Vacation as a small child without the part where he cusses up a storm at the end, or a similar scene in Trains, Planes and Automobiles. That way I got to see a lot of great movies and they still got to protect my developing mind. I don't know what I'M going to do with my son when he's old enough to watch movies. I wish I could do the same thing easily. I could rip and edit I suppose, but that's a lot of effort, and by the time he's old enough everything will be streaming anyway.

If it's like my parents, just tell them to leave the room.

That's how I got to see The Red Violin as an 8 year old. :haw:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The company you're looking for is called clear play. They have been doing this since the 80s. Feel free to subscribe to their service they have Guardians of the Galaxy updated.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Does anyone have the 2014 Jeffords Rules PDF?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but a group I work with is looking to screen a bunch of Wong Kar-wai films, namely Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, and Happy Together. Would anybody happen to know who has the distribution rights for these films? We've done a bit of research and it seems like the situation is pretty unclear on these films in particular.

We're also in the process of sending out a couple of feelers, but I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer (by PM or here). Thanks!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

PTizzle posted:

Someone asked about sound/foley a couple of pages ago, but just wondering generally. If there's a big sound base and it's usually people on the crew or a few older dudes who do most of it, what's the best way to get involved? Is making a soundreel (I have no idea if people do this for sound jobs) and just hitting people up to help them out the way to go?

I've done it for games, music and friends little movie projects etc and it's something I really enjoy. Just have no idea how to do more of it (outside of messing around).

Way delayed on this response but I've been working in post-audio for 7+ years. Most people I've talked to in the industry don't even bother with a reel, because you can spend infinitely more time perfecting the sound on something like that whereas there are often ridiculous time limits when you're actually working on stuff. A reel doesn't show anyone how well you can actually pull things off on a time constraint, so it's not very useful. Having said that, some people do still want to see them, so it doesn't hurt to have.

I don't know where you're located, but I can tell you that in Canada at least, it doesn't matter where something is shot, probably 90% of the post work happens in Toronto.

There's also an entirely different world depending on whether you're working in the union or not.

I don't know a lot about foley, except that it's pretty hard to get into. There is one studio outside of Toronto that does almost all of the union foley work in the country, and most non-union productions just don't have the budget to even do foley. I've actually never worked on a non-union show that did have foley, I used to have to crate things like footsteps out of sound effects libraries.

I have no idea what progress you've made since November, but if you're still interested or have more questions I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but a group I work with is looking to screen a bunch of Wong Kar-wai films, namely Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, and Happy Together. Would anybody happen to know who has the distribution rights for these films? We've done a bit of research and it seems like the situation is pretty unclear on these films in particular.

We're also in the process of sending out a couple of feelers, but I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer (by PM or here). Thanks!

Distribution rights for old Hong Kong films in general is an utter clusterfuck. There's a reason all those films are up on youtube. Noone knows who owns them so they might as well be public domain. Good luck but I don't think you're going to get very far, even if you have an interpreter that speaks Cantonese (try PMing caberham).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The Hong Kong Film Archive is a great place to start: http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/CulturalService/HKFA/en_US/web/hkfa/aboutus/intro.html

Despite working in movies in Hong Kong, I know rather little about the Hong Kong movie business since I focus on the mainland market.

You will not need a Cantonese interpreter though. English is an official language here and the HKFA is a government service, so everyone there is legally required to speak English.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

Despite working in movies in Hong Kong, I know rather little about the Hong Kong movie business since I focus on the mainland market.

I'm travel coordinating a commercial that's going there next week. If you have to sign like six pages of non-disclosure agreements for a job next week, tell them I said what's up haha

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That'd be fun, but I'm taking a break from the industry to go work for the foreign service for a couple years. I'm burned out on the feast or famine lifestyle and want a cushy government job.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Crossposting from ye olde Cinematography thread because I'm so excited! I made an app! Figured this was a nice place to share it too, so far the response has been overwhelming (it got released a few hours ago). It's called "Shot Assistant" and it's basically the app I always wanted as an operator. It's like a multitool for people who work with cameras, at its most basic it shows you level/pan/tilt but it has a few extra features that I think make it pretty unique and useful for on-set use. For one thing it does ranging, basically you store whatever angle your shot is currently at and the app will guide you back there with a bunch of visual cues including colors (useful for peripheral ranging). Also it has a seismograph which can be used to hunt down vibrations in shot. Finally it's made to be used with multi touch, the whole screen is a button and the functions change depending on how many fingers you use to touch it! This allows you to set it and store ranges without even looking at your device . Already have a bunch of stuff planned for the next version too but first I'm taking a few days off because the last month has been insane

So yeah, I'm pretty proud of it and I'm sharing it all over the place! Hope some of you find a use for it too

Have a link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id961651001

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 4, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Very cool dude. Let me know when it's on Android :)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

EnsGDT posted:

Very cool dude. Let me know when it's on Android :)
Hopefully that will be up in a week or two! Along with some major updates. bear with me as I stumble through this, it's a side gig and I'm still figuring all this out!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Posted on cml yet?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What are considered to be the good "insider" industry news sources? Hollywood Reporter, Variety and maybe KCRW come to mind but I'm curious what you folks actually think.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Private listservrs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Remulak posted:

Private listservrs.

So I just need to wait for another major hacking incident?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Every other major source of industry reporting gets its information from Deadline, so I usually just read from there instead of waiting an hour for THR to pick it up. As far as being more "inside" than public journalism, know people who are working I guess.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Slim Killington posted:

Every other major source of industry reporting gets its information from Deadline, so I usually just read from there instead of waiting an hour for THR to pick it up. As far as being more "inside" than public journalism, know people who are working I guess.

This. Deadline Hollywood. I'm in the UK so Screen international is useful but has less "insider" stuff.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is deadline worth a poo poo with no Finke? You can learn more from Crazy Days and Nights imo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Remulak posted:

Is deadline worth a poo poo with no Finke? You can learn more from Crazy Days and Nights imo.

Finke was poo poo. Good reporting is distinct from blackmail. The New York Times does start articles with "TOLDJA".

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Honestly if you just follow all the trades and journalists' twitter accounts you don't have to visit the actual pages.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

NeuroticErotica posted:

Honestly if you just follow all the trades and journalists' twitter accounts you don't have to visit the actual pages.

This is really true but I require a lot more structure than Twitter as far as my news aggregate goes. If I could pay an intern to sit on Twitter all day and separate it out for me I would love it. Twitter is too hard to stay on top of, even with a feed of just those things I want to see, because it's so clogged with junk for every useful thing. Also I appreciate good passable copy and often Twitter is like reading a middle school grammar paper.

Oh hey, on-topic, if anyone wants to see the project somebody very recently got run down by a car in the middle of, it's the heading sequence on the red band NWA trailer that went out today.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Slim Killington posted:

This is really true but I require a lot more structure than Twitter as far as my news aggregate goes. If I could pay an intern to sit on Twitter all day and separate it out for me I would love it. Twitter is too hard to stay on top of, even with a feed of just those things I want to see, because it's so clogged with junk for every useful thing. Also I appreciate good passable copy and often Twitter is like reading a middle school grammar paper.

Oh hey, on-topic, if anyone wants to see the project somebody very recently got run down by a car in the middle of, it's the heading sequence on the red band NWA trailer that went out today.

Twitter lists, my friend.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Feedly of the Deadline RSS is fine for me.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I just have the Deadspin and Variety email subscriptions relegated to a gmail inbox that I can peruse at my leisure.

PastPerfect
Nov 23, 2004

Rocking it out with my 60hz Hum

Nap Ghost
Just started my reality production company in LA and I'm looking for a good entertainment lawyer. Has anyone worked with one that they could suggest?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PM me, I love my guy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I bet my friend a steak dinner that Entourage would gross under 80M domestic. Am I gonna win?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I bet my friend a steak dinner that Entourage would gross under 80M domestic. Am I gonna win?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=entourage.htm

Looking good so far

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Doing my first job in LA this week, coming from living and working in the midwest, and after one day, I hate this loving city. I hate everything about it here. I can't wait until this gig is over. I don't know how you people live here.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Slim Killington posted:

Doing my first job in LA this week, coming from living and working in the midwest, and after one day, I hate this loving city. I hate everything about it here. I can't wait until this gig is over. I don't know how you people live here.

I think what you got what it takes.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

Where in town are you, because that makes a big difference.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
This thread has been a really interesting read.

Does anybody have experience with the film industry in Canada? Or even film schools here? Supposedly the place to be is Vancouver. I'm interested in starting out in the industry but only have some limited media production experience from helping out with Access TV and similar productions. Advice seems to be evenly split between film school being a good idea or a waste of time- I certainly see the value in starting work ASAP.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Film school's big value is meeting people and gaining basic competency. Since I assume Canada's semesters don't start until the fall, you should spend the summer taking whatever work you can in Vancouver. Better to know if you don't like the industry before you spent four years studying it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
As someone who didn't attend film school, I would say it's not a waste of time if not for anything other than the contacts. I know a lot of folks who went to film school and have done at least moderately well because they made tons of great contacts. I mean you have to be talented, but networking is a fundamental part of being successful and you absolutely get a leg up in that area by going to film school.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
We're not staying in one place, we were in LA for the first day. I'm staying and working out of Fullerton.

Re: film school contacts, it's absolutely true that you get more out of the contacts than you do the academia, but there's two caveats there. One, your contacts are going to be in professors and counselors who have an actual work resume and can contact you to other people still working. It's a stretch, but it's better than knowing nobody. Your classmates and working peers are going to be useless and know-nothings, and serve as just bodies to climb over. Two, you're paying a LOT of money for just low-level contacts. So you have to decide if that's worth it to you.

I would only recommend film school in any form if you want to learn film and know absolutely nothing whatsoever about any of the process. Full disclaimer: I'm not a student, I managed a department in a film school program for a while.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slim Killington posted:

We're not staying in one place, we were in LA for the first day. I'm staying and working out of Fullerton.

Re: film school contacts, it's absolutely true that you get more out of the contacts than you do the academia, but there's two caveats there. One, your contacts are going to be in professors and counselors who have an actual work resume and can contact you to other people still working. It's a stretch, but it's better than knowing nobody. Your classmates and working peers are going to be useless and know-nothings, and serve as just bodies to climb over. Two, you're paying a LOT of money for just low-level contacts. So you have to decide if that's worth it to you.

I would only recommend film school in any form if you want to learn film and know absolutely nothing whatsoever about any of the process. Full disclaimer: I'm not a student, I managed a department in a film school program for a while.

It's kind of the opposite in my *anecdotal* experience. It's less about the students making contacts with the professors and more about how the students form their own little network that stick together long after school and continue to bring each other in on jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If you're lucky enough to have tutors still actively working enough in the industry then it's a good place to be as you can end up with little assistant gigs out of the door if you show enough mettle.
Otherwise you do end up with people who haven't actively worked in a good decade and can be a bit behind the times with tech and methods - especially when it comes to learning about the bigger world of production and distribution as delivery platforms or ways to self-fund budgets have completely changed and do change incredibly fast that you have to actively be involved to keep up.

Some schools will have you crew for higher years so that quickly gets you working with people and you'll find out at the end of graduation which of your peers are really handy to stay in touch with. People inevitably find their niche so there's some advantage of knowing you;ll be able to grab someone who does sound for cheap in a jiffy. A good yardstick is whether they are still kicking in the field a year after graduation as most tend to get burnt out by study and vanish into the woodwork.

Also each film school is different, the rough benchmark is that it's either going to be theory or practical based and be more geared towards crew roles than directing or production management. Some schools offer short workshops or even information seminars where you can get some insight into particular fields.

Knowing where you want to go as a career is the way to go. The worst thing you can do at the end of study is go "yeah I'll do anything!" and before you know you have a scattered resume where you bounce around helping hand roles with no real focus or discipline, making you look less appealing to reciters and you turning into a dogsbody.
Conversely it's also really easy to end up in a niche you weren't expecting, simply for having a natural aptitude for something when you really want to be doing something else.

• Locked thread