Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
Alcohol and Nicotine every morning
How long did you have to freelance before you got your current job (assuming it's not a freelance job as well)?

I imagine you probably thought about packing it up and moving back home at least once, maybe you still do, but was there a definitive point where that stopped happening?

Did you work a regular job while doing film stuff on the side for a while, or where you able to get real work fairly quickly?

I've heard you need to have some serious savings before making the move, like to the tune of $10,000. Have you found that to be accurate?

I'm seriously considering making the trek. I'm living in Denver right now, working on writing and doing the occasional job as a camera op on the side, when I'm not at my lovely but paying job as a cook. I like it but I need to move somewhere that I'll eventually get paying gigs, and I've heard LA is easier to start in than New York.

Really appreciate this thread!

Rogetz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003

In need of tissue posted:

What is the best way to get into the film industry? Work on sets and try and work your way up? How do you get in touch with the people to work on their set? Or get your own films moving and submit them to festivals etc.?

Tacking on to this, how do I set myself apart as a camera man when everyone and their mother owns a video camera and is competing for the same low-level jobs? I can't afford my own equipment beyond the basic stuff that I have, especially now that everyone's expecting you to be a one-man band. I've got feature credit but not on anything that anyone's heard of or going to hear of, how can I leverage that when I still don't know anyone?

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003
This is all great information. Guess I'll have to start cranking out shorts. Thanks again for this thread and everyone contributing.

Rogetz
Jan 11, 2003

G.Rainmaker posted:

(and I apologize for taking over the thread in the past few. I had a scout gig that went south this morning so I had more free time then expected).

Don't apologize.

• Locked thread