Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

P.S. To anybody out there wondering "is film school necessary?" I was asking myself the same thing at one point and I found the answer: Yes, get a loving education. Not because it worked for me (as yet untested), but because I was sitting there same as every other rear end in a top hat thinking "I've seen a lot of movies, I basically know how they work" and I couldn't have been more wrong. There is a wealth of knowledge out there about the art, science and business of films that I am so glad I tapped into. You can try to just luck into a career, but why the gently caress would you do that when you have the option to go into it adequately prepared? Even just knowing some basic terminology is going to give you a leg up. If you're a PA and a gaffer asks you for a stinger, you'll know what the gently caress that means, and you won't get fired. If you are absolutely sure that school is somehow beyond your means, at least go and read some books. There are a lot of good books.

Film school doesn't hurt, but it certainly is not necessary for most jobs. Every film grad I know with real world experience has concluded that the value of what they've learned in the real world dwarfs everything they learned in film school. Every film grad I know that has yet to start working believes their education is/was valuable. The common denominator of every meaningful/educational/inspirational conversation I've had about making movies is that it was with someone that has years of experience.

A friend just got off directing a 7 figure feature and says film school was not necessary to prepare him for a single directorial responsibility. What did prepare him? Everything he did on his own that film school had no hand in. He still learns on the job, and isn't even sure he wants a career as a film director!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

NeuroticErotica posted:

...but I haven't seen that much coke use and the pot use is not unusual. Most of the time if people are using they're not out in the open about it.

People aren't very shy about offering a casual hit or bump in social situations, but it's also pretty easy to steer clear of. I haven't seen much heavy use either, but I'm assuming those people are simply more discrete. In the end, it's probably more of a "Living in LA" thing than a "work in film industry" thing.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Captain Geech posted:

This has been a helpful and entertaining thread thus far, N.E., so thanks for that. :)

I have a question for you. I enjoy screenwriting quite a bit, and I want to give it a go once I finish grad school in Vancouver. I realize that I will probably have to move to LA to have a real shot at this. My problem is that I'm not sure what to do from there. You've mentioned some things previously, but I wonder if you could go into a little more detail about who exactly a screenwriter (particularly an unestablished one) tries to give/sell his script to, and how that process works.

Meet agents, producers, other writers, filmmakers, assistants... go from there. Learn to recognize opportunity. That might sound hopelessly generic, but that is what it takes. Getting an agent will help put your scripts in front of people and set up auditions for projects. But so will just being friends with an agent, producer, development executive, etc. Or maybe just their assistants.

Build a network. All it really takes is to meet one person with an existing network and explore it yourself. For example, I recently made a new friend in the music industry. After hanging out with him the last couple months I've met a bunch of pretty incredible people. And that is by accident, I'm not interested in music at all.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

I've got a square job that gives me enough money and freedom to pursue film gigs that I'd otherwise turn down because they don't pay enough. As a result I don't really take jobs for the money, I take them for general opportunity and networking purposes. This is not an uncommon strategy.

It is possible to strike a balance.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

lostleaf posted:

I actually really enjoyed Carriers and thought it was a pretty good movie for what it's worth.

Another question, what's the compensation from netflix for DVD or bluray? I don't mean on demand stuff. Do you get royalty with each dvd rental or is it a one time payment from netflix or does it just get counted as dvd sales?

Rental houses used to buy copies at insane prices for the right to rent out at will. I was told they just buy at wholesale now and you get a revenue split proportional to your share of rentals business. But the deals are always evolving and largely case by case for each distributor. Not sure about streaming at all, but would guess it is royalty based.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

NeuroticErotica posted:

I see horror stories like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6f6cIKvCQ&hd=1 and I feel bad for the people involved, but at the same time... They should have done their research. This wasn't a festival that they're going to get distro at, it's not well known, if they want to go as a trip for fun that's one thing, but I don't know what they were trying to achieve, so I can't feel SO badly for them when things go wrong (don't get me wrong, I think the story is awful and they got hosed over, but I don't see it as the huge Greek tragedy that others do)

Wow, this was painful to watch. Especially knowing how excited they must have been to screen their film. The Gala was killer.

It brought up memories of this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/109782381/three-times-a-lady-a-g-rated-romantic-comedy-featu

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Dead Snoopy posted:

I know but it is just such unreadable wank. I'd rather get an industry perspective and not have to wade through a million posts of STUPID FATTY JORTS IS DUM DURRR. We can debate Smith's artistic merrits there, what I want to know is how sound the business model he's adopted is.

Using your highly successful podcast and online community rather than traditional marketing to promote a tour of your film? Given that Kevin Smith has been selling out live shows using the same method for awhile now, I'd say it is pretty sound. There are only a handful of people in the world that could do this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

If your base is in NYC and you are working regularly, I say consider moving to LA. I'm sure you can keep all your NYC opportunities - you already have relationships with all those people, you wouldn't be losing them in a move to LA. You'll sort of have a presence in both cities, that must be better right? Just a thought.

I still have a day job in LA, but find myself in very helpful general meetings at least once a month, and I don't hear about them until a week before, and they are pushed around sometimes. If I didn't live here it would be impossible. My network of other aspiring people in the industry (writing, acting, directing, producing, agents/management, etc) grows by the week.

Also I want to say I've been a fan of yours for many years. I'm happy to hear you're finding some success! If you move out to LA I'll want to cross paths.

• Locked thread