Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Red Faction Origins was surprisingly good. I think it may be the best videogame spinoff movie (as in not based on a videogame itself, but existing in the same universe) so far, much better than EA's animated Dead Space and Dante's Inferno efforts.

The cheap paintball armor had a kind of charm to it after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This seems like a logical place to ask this question since I can't find any sort of "hey what what this old-rear end show called?" type of thread.

It was a kind of news-ish program that aired on Sci-Fi back in the early or mid-90s (probably right around the time the network launched). The host was this extremely nerdy guy with big glasses and a mustache, and when he'd introduce himself he'd make a point to clarify that he was a doctor of philosophy, not medicine. I think Harlan Ellison was on it a few times, ranting about the poo poo Harlan Ellison likes to rant about.

My dad and I used to watch it all the time but now neither of us can remember anything except the above. Any one know what I'm talking about?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Any one know what I'm talking about?
I don't, but after scouring Wikipedia's list of everything that sci-fi ever showed, I think I may have found it.

"Mysteries from Beyond the Other Dominion"(1992-1993) links to Franklin Ruehl which include a quote very similar to what you described

quote:

As you know I'm a Ph.D., Not an MD. But I've always been intrigued by bizarre medicine. Let's see what's in the little black bag.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Reicere posted:

I don't, but after scouring Wikipedia's list of everything that sci-fi ever showed, I think I may have found it.

"Mysteries from Beyond the Other Dominion"(1992-1993) links to Franklin Ruehl which include a quote very similar to what you described

That's it! You're the best!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well it's happened. Wrestling is invading the other poo poo on SyFy as Edge is on Sanctuary next week. Maybe we'll get lucky and John Cena will appear on Eureka as a super genius or some poo poo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rhyno posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and John Cena will appear on Eureka as a super genius or some poo poo.

To be fair, John Cena was on Psych and it was a decent episode.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been trying to find out the name of a movie that I only caught a part of a few years ago. I watched it on the Sci-Fi channel but I don't know if it was one their originals or not. It seemed to be low budget enough.

The movie focused mainly on the characters of a young adult girl and guy as they made their way through a desolate and lifeless town that seemed be stuck in early winter.

In this town there also seemed to be some sort of creatures, like worms or insects living in abandoned buildings. The weird thing is that neither the guy or the girl seemed to even see that the things were around, or if they did see them, they didn't seem that concerned about them. Instead the movie focused more on their interactions with one another.

Overall it had a very surreal feel, but maybe that was only because I didn't watch it from the beginning.

I checked the list of SyFy originals for movies with a winter theme, but the closest thing I found was Ice Spiders which wasn't it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It wasn't Dagon, was it?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Philthy posted:

It wasn't Dagon, was it?

No. I would have remembered fish people and a scene with a guy getting his face cut off.

This movie wasn't that interesting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So Monday is soon here which premiers Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Alphas.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Here's a positive semi-spoilery review of the new Monday night lineup:

http://io9.com/5819528/syfys-monday-night-lineup-pretty-darn-solid

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'll give Alphas a shot tonight, just because there isn't anything on at that time I'd care to watch.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Reminder that Haven season 2 starts tomorrow at 9 PM CST.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it even worth making a Haven thread?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It's more popular here now than it was when it originally aired, but I don't know if it's big enough yet to support its own thread. I guess someone can put one up though and we can see if it can build even more viewers here.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Season premiere of Haven was pretty good. It was a bit rushed, introducing news characters to get them in for the new season.

Thought it was interesting that they're keeping the fact that Audrey isn't actually the original Audrey Parker. I was sure they were going to stick with the "troubled person got her memories" thing like they theorized to just sweep the swerve under the rug, then at the end they said nope, Audrey herself isn't the real one. Thought it was a nice angle for the writers to stick with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teek posted:

Season premiere of Haven was pretty good. It was a bit rushed, introducing news characters to get them in for the new season.

Thought it was interesting that they're keeping the fact that Audrey isn't actually the original Audrey Parker. I was sure they were going to stick with the "troubled person got her memories" thing like they theorized to just sweep the swerve under the rug, then at the end they said nope, Audrey herself isn't the real one. Thought it was a nice angle for the writers to stick with.

I didn't see every episode last season and I didn't understand this at all, can you explain it for me?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Audrey we've been following isn't the original Audrey Parker FBI agent. Our Audrey is somehow the woman she thought was her mother, Lucy. So Lucy was around some years ago, then disappeared after the Colorado Kid was murdered, then returned in the present as Audrey with no memory of her past as Lucy.

Also she believes she is Lucy because they both share the same scar on their foot.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
I actually like that angle, too. Blonde Audrey should probably accept this truth quickly, if she's willing to accept that she's not herself.

All I've seen of Haven are the first couple episodes when it first aired, and the last half of the next-to-last episode and the full last episode of the first season when they aired today. I think I got the gist of things, but I still feel pretty lost and I think maybe I should just get the whole first season and watch it.

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
Accepting strange and impossible things is sort of Blonde Audrey's defining trait. Even New Audrey had a lot of disbelief through most of this episode, though she was otherwise very similar.

This whole thing also raises a lot of questions about Agent Howard 1.0, too. (Head Howard?)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
The first thing Blonde Audrey should be doing is calling up her Agent Howard and asking him who the hell he is. He's probably the one most responsible for getting her into this "impersonating a federal agent" mess, and most likely knows more about her than he's let on.

From next week's preview it looks like the real Audrey sticks around for at least one episode, so maybe Blonde Audrey can figure out what's going on that way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cyberius posted:

Accepting strange and impossible things is sort of Blonde Audrey's defining trait. Even New Audrey had a lot of disbelief through most of this episode, though she was otherwise very similar.

This whole thing also raises a lot of questions about Agent Howard 1.0, too. (Head Howard?)

Well we know he's real, because he knew the Chief and we saw them talking when Audrey wasn't around.

I like Haven a lot actually. Watching it last night I was kinda amazed at how well it's put together. It's matured a bit and seems like a real tv show, and not as much a fluff midseason 2nd tier network show...quite frankly I think I like it more than Covert Affairs or even Hawaii 5-0, qualitywise when it comes to storytelling. I might be tempted to place it on a Supernatural early season quality level.

I'd totally dig a thread on it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Astroman posted:

I'd totally dig a thread on it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425383

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Syfy's Monday block is holding up well in the ratings after the second week:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...uch-more/98439/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has there been any word on when the second season of Being Human is supposed to start up?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I believe a preview at Comic Con said sometime next year.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

January.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Here's the home release news for Being Human:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Human-Season-1/15797

Coming to both DVD and Blu Ray. SyFy hasn't released too many of their shows on Blu Ray, so that's a nice surprise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just saw a commercial for Killer Mountain airing this weekend on SyFy and starring Aaron "Chief Tyrol" Douglas of BSG fame. If that's not enough to get you to tune in they have him say "Frak" in the commercial!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yet another new reality show:

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/TV/2011/09/21/Syfy-orders-new-series-Dream-Machines/UPI-98571316614494/

This one doesn't sound too bad though.

Also Primeval is getting a Canadian spin-off. I guess there's a chance Syfy might get it since they aired the original for awhile:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/itvs-primeval-evolves-canadian-spin-235991

Scare Tactics will also be returning with new episodes October 10th.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Any word yet when Face Off's second season starts?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I haven't seen anything on it yet.

In other news, a series of the Adjustment Bureau is being worked on:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/syfy-developing-tv-series-version-of-movie-the-adjustment-bureau/

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how well it would fit the small screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

I haven't seen anything on it yet.

In other news, a series of the Adjustment Bureau is being worked on:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/syfy-developing-tv-series-version-of-movie-the-adjustment-bureau/

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how well it would fit the small screen.

I'm not exactly sure how they could turn the concept into a running series.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not exactly sure how they could turn the concept into a running series.

Having read the book, I could see it being turned into an episodic series of some sort. That's not to say it would be good, or that it should be done.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just a reminder that the much loved around here (ha) Sanctuary is now back for a new season. The first episode of the fourth season was on last night.

It was decent, if strange, in that it totally retconned John's backstory as Jack the Ripper.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah that was really weird. I wonder if Syfy went all up their asses for having one of the main characters a murderer.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Also, the new season of Scare Tactics starts tonight! This show is really hit-or-miss, but it's my ultimate guilty pleasure.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

First season of the Canadian series Lost Girl will premiere January 16th. Which is also the premiere date for season 2 of the American Being Human. Should make a nice combo.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/10/lost-girl-season-2-us-premiere-date.html

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

So I hear you guys like Urkel:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Jaleel-White-Talks-About-Hosting-Syfy-Upcoming-Game-Show-Total-Blackout-35946.html

Should have been a way overdue Estate of Panic renewal. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finally got around to watching Red Faction. It really was surprisingly good, considering it has the double stain of being both a video game movie and a Syfy original movie.

I haven't played Red Faction Armageddon yet, does it actually continue the story from the TV movie?