Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Something else to consider are the filetypes supported by the device, specifically the ebook file format. The Kindle series supports .mobi but not .epub, while the Nook supports .epub but not .mobi - .epub is a more global and widely-available ebook format, so it might be better for people outside of the US who wouldn't have access to the Kindle Store.

Of course I say that and converting between .epub and .mobi is relatively painless thanks to Calibre. But you have to ask yourself if it's worth it having to, for example, convert from one format to the other every time you buy a book from a non-Kindle or non-Nook store.

Red_Fred posted:

EDIT: Thought I should ask. How is the Nook Touch when it comes to sensitivity? Like is it as good as a smart phone? I HATE bad touch screens.
The touchscreen technology used on the Nook Simple Touch and the Kindle Touch is an IR-based system. It's not nearly as precise as a capacitive touchscreen, and there's a bit of a pause from the moment you touch till the device responds, but it's functional while still maintaining minimal power draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

Something else to consider are the filetypes supported by the device, specifically the ebook file format. The Kindle series supports .mobi but not .epub, while the Nook supports .epub but not .mobi - .epub is a more global and widely-available ebook format, so it might be better for people outside of the US who wouldn't have access to the Kindle Store.

Of course I say that and converting between .epub and .mobi is relatively painless thanks to Calibre. But you have to ask yourself if it's worth it having to, for example, convert from one format to the other every time you buy a book from a non-Kindle or non-Nook store.

The touchscreen technology used on the Nook Simple Touch and the Kindle Touch is an IR-based system. It's not nearly as precise as a capacitive touchscreen, and there's a bit of a pause from the moment you touch till the device responds, but it's functional while still maintaining minimal power draw.

Well if converting formats isn't a big deal then I'll probably just get a Kindle 4 (unless you can't get them to NZ yet, which is the case with the Touch at the moment) as a lovely touch screen will make me want to stab my eyes out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Karthe posted:

You do realize that the Amazon store works in like 150 countries and the Nook store only works in exactly one (America). Right?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

You do realize that the Amazon store works in like 150 countries and the Nook store only works in exactly one (America). Right?
Oh really? I just took the thread title at face value and assumed that the Kindle store was poo poo outside of the US :v:

That being said, isn't it easier to sideload books from other stores onto the Nook, especially since the Nook has a microSD slot on it?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Karthe posted:

Oh really? I just took the thread title at face value and assumed that the Kindle store was poo poo outside of the US :v:

That being said, isn't it easier to sideload books from other stores onto the Nook, especially since the Nook has a microSD slot on it?

Prices vary country to country.

But side loading is easy on both. With the kindle you can either use usb or email them into the device.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

Wait, wait. You can root the Nook Touch? If that's the case then that's sold me.

EDIT: Thought I should ask. How is the Nook Touch when it comes to sensitivity? Like is it as good as a smart phone? I HATE bad touch screens.

I use the kindle touch, and I think it is fair to assume they are similar. Honestly, the biggest problem sensitivity wise is just eink, the response rate whether it's keyboard or touchscreen just isn't as good as lcd. For reading books its fine.dont expect anything else to compare.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Install Gentoo posted:

Nook store works fine in other countries as long as the default credit card is with an American bank. That doesn't help people who aren't Americans, but it does affect American tourists.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have never had an e-reader before and have some questions. I am thinking of buying a basic kindle. While there is no reason to suspect that Amazon will mess with my books, I remember reading something about them removing books, George Orwell books, ironically.

I just do not like the idea of any company removing content from something I own. That idea upsets me.

Is there anything to prevent me from buying ebooks and putting them onto my kindle via usb, then never turning on it's wireless antenna? I don't need or want my books to have wireless connectivity.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Diogines posted:

I have never had an e-reader before and have some questions. I am thinking of buying a basic kindle. While there is no reason to suspect that Amazon will mess with my books, I remember reading something about them removing books, George Orwell books, ironically.

I just do not like the idea of any company removing content from something I own. That idea upsets me.

Is there anything to prevent me from buying ebooks and putting them onto my kindle via usb, then never turning on it's wireless antenna? I don't need or want my books to have wireless connectivity.

They never deleted the file from the kindle. But if you had removed it from your kindle and just had it in the 'cloud library' then they took away access. If you're extra paranoid, you can just keep the mobi file on your computer. When you buy books, they send the book via whispernet and give you an option to download the mobi to your computer at the same time.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Diogines posted:

That whole story was blown way out of proportion.

Amazon allows anybody to self-publish their own books. A company that focuses on public domain titles uploaded a collection of George Orwell books which included 1984, a book that isn't in the public domain in America. Since they had no right to sell it, Amazon pulled the book and issued a refund (granted, way after it was uploaded). When a refund is issued, the main server flags the book for removal (a necessity when they allow any purchased book to be returned for any reason within a seven day period). The people who bought it were mad that their $0.99 collection was refunded/deleted. Other people freaked out because they only heard "OMG AMAZON DELETED A BOOK".

Amazon revised their system to send an email to the account owner asking them to delete the book. (Also, if a book gets an update, you have to email them back now and confirm you want the update)

If a publisher pulls a book (for non-piracy reasons), you'll still have access to it in your archive.

But yes, if you don't turn on the wifi/3G, you will never contact their servers. You can transfer your books and apply system updates over USB.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 16, 2011

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone with a kindle fire having issues with the last few words of a page not displaying? Sometimes I am mid sentence and flip to the next page and it is a new paragraph.

If I flip back a few pages and then back, the final words of the sentence will sometimes appear. It seems to do with the last sentence being just a few words longer than what would normally fit on the page. When the final words do become visible, the are on an extra line.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GI_Clutch posted:

Anyone with a kindle fire having issues with the last few words of a page not displaying? Sometimes I am mid sentence and flip to the next page and it is a new paragraph.

If I flip back a few pages and then back, the final words of the sentence will sometimes appear. It seems to do with the last sentence being just a few words longer than what would normally fit on the page. When the final words do become visible, the are on an extra line.

I can't say I've ever had that happen. Are they books you're buying from Amazon or are you converting them yourself?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I want to get a Kindle but I'm not really in a rush. Will the Kindle get a new/better e-ink screen anytime soon?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

cremnob posted:

I want to get a Kindle but I'm not really in a rush. Will the Kindle get a new/better e-ink screen anytime soon?

The current generation of e-ink screens are about as good as they are going to get. The only thing coming down the pipeline are the color e-ink screens (they're going to be way expensive at first) and the dual LCD / e-ink screens. Amazon has hinted that they are interested in making a device with the dual screen. Esentially think of it like a transparent e-ink screen laid on top of a color LCD screen. That way you can read books with the superior e-ink resolution and then switch into LCD mode for magazines, pdf's or tablet features. I wouldn't expect a dual screen device for at least another year though.

Bottom line, if your looking to get an e-ink reader, now is the time. They just pushed out their latest product line-up last month and they aren't likely to update it anytime soon.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Red_Fred posted:

a lovely touch screen will make me want to stab my eyes out.

You are flat-out not looking for anything based on e-ink, the whole point of the technology is trading response time for absurd battery life.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

The only thing coming down the pipeline are the color e-ink screens (they're going to be way expensive at first) and the dual LCD / e-ink screens.
Pedantically, I don't think anyone is trying to make a dual LCD / e-ink screen, rather, a transflective LCD that still looks good without any kind of backlight.

Also you didn't mention Mirasol, which might be interesting in another 1-3 generations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

cremnob posted:

The refresh rate on the new models (even though it's still the same screen) "flashes" less, which some people sperg about. But otherwise I'd say the current Kindle lineup is as good as it gets (for Kindles, if you prefer your nook, great), and the 4th revision of the product line.

Jump in if you want to, but this is a pretty recent revision so it's not going to change for at least another year or two.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
A non-technical co-worker is trying to figure out the trials and tribulations of buying and owning a Kindle Fire. He does not currently have a home internet connection and is concerned that the Fire won't be any fun for his early-teens daughter (who he's buying it for) without internet access on Christmas Day; I don't know enough about it so I'm bothering you guys. He's against having a permanent internet connection on cost reasons; other than the Fire, he doesn't have a reason to use it at home (no PC or anything), and $50 a month plus Cox's $250 installation fee is rough, especially in the week before Christmas.

What's pre-installed? Is it a bundle of fun out of the box before taking it online to prospect for treasure (ie: will it be a happy Christmas morning)?

Also, what's the deal with Whispersynch on this one, Amazon mentions it but doesn't go into detail on the product page; does this Kindle have free 3G for book downloads and web browsing like the old ones or is it definitely wifi-only?

I've explained the "no parental controls on purchasing" problem and that he can get free wifi in a lot of places now, like McDonalds and Starbucks, for adding content to the device. What else does he need to know? All he knows about the device is what Amazon.com says on the Buy Me page.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

A non-technical co-worker is trying to figure out the trials and tribulations of buying and owning a Kindle Fire. He does not currently have a home internet connection and is concerned that the Fire won't be any fun for his early-teens daughter (who he's buying it for) without internet access on Christmas Day; I don't know enough about it so I'm bothering you guys. He's against having a permanent internet connection on cost reasons; other than the Fire, he doesn't have a reason to use it at home (no PC or anything), and $50 a month plus Cox's $250 installation fee is rough, especially in the week before Christmas.

What's pre-installed? Is it a bundle of fun out of the box before taking it online to prospect for treasure (ie: will it be a happy Christmas morning)?

Also, what's the deal with Whispersynch on this one, Amazon mentions it but doesn't go into detail on the product page; does this Kindle have free 3G for book downloads and web browsing like the old ones or is it definitely wifi-only?

I've explained the "no parental controls on purchasing" problem and that he can get free wifi in a lot of places now, like McDonalds and Starbucks, for adding content to the device. What else does he need to know? All he knows about the device is what Amazon.com says on the Buy Me page.

No 3g, probably not going to be terribly fun without a wifi connection. Most of the preinstalled apps are really only useful with an internet connection.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's very strongly oriented toward having a Wifi connection.

Any nearby open access points? Starbucks? Neighbors?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rastor posted:

Yeah, it's very strongly oriented toward having a Wifi connection.

Any nearby open access points? Starbucks? Neighbors?

Probably not close enough to pick up inside the house.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Nook Tab or Kindle Fire? (Gift for girlfriend who expressed interested in a "Nook Color" ages ago)

I'm leaning towards the Fire simply because I've got it built up in my head that the Amazon implementation of Android would be much nicer and cleaner than whatever the B&N setup looks like.

Any thoughts from some biased goons?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
For one thing, if the Fire had an SD card slot I could just gin up a selection of fun apps on a spare card for my co-worker's kid to use on Christmas (no internet).

e: and there's not a lot of space onboard, looks like only 8gb.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 16, 2011

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Nook Tab or Kindle Fire? (Gift for girlfriend who expressed interested in a "Nook Color" ages ago)

I'm leaning towards the Fire simply because I've got it built up in my head that the Amazon implementation of Android would be much nicer and cleaner than whatever the B&N setup looks like.

Most journalism reviews that compare the two will conclude that the Tablet has more, but also costs an extra $50.00, and how that affects your decision is your business.

The Tablet has expandable storage with an Micro SD slot, while the Fire allows uploading of your stuff to their cloud, which depends on wireless access. The Fire also has more of its 8 GB onboard storage usable for non-Amazon stuff, while the Tablet is partitioned so that only 1 GB of its 16 GB of total storage is usable for non-B&N stuff. This is partly solved by its expandable storage, but it does cost a little money for the SD card. Eventually B&N will have some type of store where you can buy video and music content for keeps, rather than the streaming services it currently uses, but that's still not much more than rumors. Still, it's unthinkable that B&N doesn't plan on filling up that 16 GB with something.

Neither the Tablet nor the Fire read each others' book formats, though B&N will read epub, which is a format quite popular with libraries and various businesses that also sell ebooks. File incompatibility can be dealt with through third-party software, but not everyone has the patience or technological know-how to deal with that.

The Tablet has 1GB of onboard ram as opposed to the Fire's 512 MB, which should be a big deal for video streaming. Battery length is better on the Tablet as well.

The Fire's user interface has garnered a fair amount of complaints from users lately, who say that the Fire tells whoever's using it exactly what the last person to use it was up to. The Fire doesn't have any way to password-protect buying privileges, so don't give it to a four-year-old to amuse himself without supervision. The Tablet doesn't have any of these problems, and Amazon is going to release a software update that hopefully changes all this. What Amazon can't change is the lack of physical volume control buttons or a charging cord that lets you move content onto the device via USB, which the Tablet has. Again, you have to use Amazon's cloud system.

I'm largely going to avoid questions of technological know-how here, but B&N has an advantage that many users appreciate: you can walk into any B&N store and there'll be someone there who can help you find things, do things, fix your bugs, and generally answer questions and provide some form of tech support. Amazon's tech support is done through the phone, email, and sending your device back in a box. This may not matter much to a woman who prides herself on her level of technological literacy.

I'm going to assume that someone will or already has rooted the Fire, but the Tablet (and the Nook Color that came before it) have already attracted a large body of Android enthusiasts who will provide advice on turning it into a fully Android device, if that matters to her. So if she likes those sort of projects, then hey.

The prices on the books are pretty much the same, save for a few specials here and there. Both companies have little programs, like Amazon's book borrowing and B&N's Read in Store program (you can read an ebook for free for an hour as long as you're on a B&N store's wireless).

Style-wise, some people have said that the Tablet's screen is less reflective than the Fire's; I can't really compare since I haven't held them next to each other. The Fire looks like a generic black tablet; the Tablet has a loopy thing on the corner that looks cool to some people and is distracting to some other people.

My opinion is: go for the Tablet; Amazon has enough money already, there should be some form of competition for ereaders, the Tablet's a little faster and has better specs, and B&N tech support is more convenient.

Disclaimer: I work part-time for B&N. They also only pay me $7.50 an hour, so I really don't care what you buy.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

sethsez posted:

I can't say I've ever had that happen. Are they books you're buying from Amazon or are you converting them yourself?
Bought from amazon. I just took some pictures as an example.

So, here is the bottom of a page. As you can see, the sentence is not complete.
http://img.skeeman.com/pageX.jpg

I flip to the next page, and hey look, a new sentence. Where's the last half of the one from the previous page?
http://img.skeeman.com/pageY.jpg

So, now I scroll back three pages or so, and scroll back to the page from the first image.
http://img.skeeman.com/pageX2.jpg

What? Not only do I now see the rest of the sentence,sentences from the second page are on that page as well. The mystery words have been found! It's like it is not consistent with how much it wants to fit on the page. As I was scrolling back to the point I actually was in the book, it happened yet again.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Happydogska posted:

Most journalism reviews that compare the two will conclude that the Tablet has more, but also costs an extra $50.00, and how that affects your decision is your business.

The Tablet has expandable storage with an Micro SD slot, while the Fire allows uploading of your stuff to their cloud, which depends on wireless access. The Fire also has more of its 8 GB onboard storage usable for non-Amazon stuff, while the Tablet is partitioned so that only 1 GB of its 16 GB of total storage is usable for non-B&N stuff. This is partly solved by its expandable storage, but it does cost a little money for the SD card. Eventually B&N will have some type of store where you can buy video and music content for keeps, rather than the streaming services it currently uses, but that's still not much more than rumors. Still, it's unthinkable that B&N doesn't plan on filling up that 16 GB with something.

Neither the Tablet nor the Fire read each others' book formats, though B&N will read epub, which is a format quite popular with libraries and various businesses that also sell ebooks. File incompatibility can be dealt with through third-party software, but not everyone has the patience or technological know-how to deal with that.

The Tablet has 1GB of onboard ram as opposed to the Fire's 512 MB, which should be a big deal for video streaming. Battery length is better on the Tablet as well.

The Fire's user interface has garnered a fair amount of complaints from users lately, who say that the Fire tells whoever's using it exactly what the last person to use it was up to. The Fire doesn't have any way to password-protect buying privileges, so don't give it to a four-year-old to amuse himself without supervision. The Tablet doesn't have any of these problems, and Amazon is going to release a software update that hopefully changes all this. What Amazon can't change is the lack of physical volume control buttons or a charging cord that lets you move content onto the device via USB, which the Tablet has. Again, you have to use Amazon's cloud system.

I'm largely going to avoid questions of technological know-how here, but B&N has an advantage that many users appreciate: you can walk into any B&N store and there'll be someone there who can help you find things, do things, fix your bugs, and generally answer questions and provide some form of tech support. Amazon's tech support is done through the phone, email, and sending your device back in a box. This may not matter much to a woman who prides herself on her level of technological literacy.

I'm going to assume that someone will or already has rooted the Fire, but the Tablet (and the Nook Color that came before it) have already attracted a large body of Android enthusiasts who will provide advice on turning it into a fully Android device, if that matters to her. So if she likes those sort of projects, then hey.

The prices on the books are pretty much the same, save for a few specials here and there. Both companies have little programs, like Amazon's book borrowing and B&N's Read in Store program (you can read an ebook for free for an hour as long as you're on a B&N store's wireless).

Style-wise, some people have said that the Tablet's screen is less reflective than the Fire's; I can't really compare since I haven't held them next to each other. The Fire looks like a generic black tablet; the Tablet has a loopy thing on the corner that looks cool to some people and is distracting to some other people.

My opinion is: go for the Tablet; Amazon has enough money already, there should be some form of competition for ereaders, the Tablet's a little faster and has better specs, and B&N tech support is more convenient.

Disclaimer: I work part-time for B&N. They also only pay me $7.50 an hour, so I really don't care what you buy.
I'd say a big knock against the Tablet is the current ecosystem. The hardware is better than the Fire for the most part (though that 1 gig thing sucks and the interface isn't quite as nice, issues aside), but with both devices locked down it really comes down to which store you want to buy from, and while they're mostly tied on books it's hard to deny Amazon's got them beat on music, movies and apps. The Fire has also been rooted (it happened almost immediately) and has some basic third party roms, and a pretty healthy promise of more to come due to no locked bootloader and a whole lot of sales.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I trust amazon more as a tech company that will throw a lot of resources at the fire. There are a few kinks with the fire that they will get sorted out in time hopefully.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Happydogska posted:

What Amazon can't change is the lack of physical volume control buttons or a charging cord that lets you move content onto the device via USB, which the Tablet has. Again, you have to use Amazon's cloud system.

The Fire can be connected with USB to load content. I use mine with Calibre all the time. Oddly though the device comes with a USB cord identical to a Kindle USB cord, but no charging power brick.

I've been using my Fire since it was given to me as an early christmas gift. I do wish the Amazon Prime system was a bit more fleshed out, currently there's not enough (good) content available on it to justify buying it past the free month for me.

The one big flaw I found was in watching video on the thing. The Fire doesn't seem to have enough horsepower to play & buffer a video at the same time, but that's exactly what it tries to do. The result is the first 3 or 4 minutes of a video is completely unwatchable as the video player freezes the whole device up randomly while it chokes in the buffering. It drove me bonkers until I figured a workaround is to pause the video immediately and let it load to 75% or so.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nook Simple Touch now $75:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57344330-10391733/get-a-barnes-noble-nook-simple-touch-e-reader-for-$74.99/

That's new, not refurbished.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

drat, I was hoping that was a permanent price drop...which would force Amazon to answer back with their own.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Enos Shenk posted:

The Fire can be connected with USB to load content.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that as well. It doesn't come with a cord, but it still works with one just fine. Mounts as an external drive like any other Android device. Saying you're required to rely on the Amazon cloud is absolute nonsense.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003

Enos Shenk posted:

The Fire can be connected with USB to load content. I use mine with Calibre all the time. Oddly though the device comes with a USB cord identical to a Kindle USB cord, but no charging power brick.
Ah, I stand corrected then. I had heard differently from co-workers. So you have to get a cord - is it USB on both ends or micro USB on the Fire's end?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Happydogska posted:

Ah, I stand corrected then. I had heard differently from co-workers. So you have to get a cord - is it USB on both ends or micro USB on the Fire's end?

Micro usb of course, where would you fit a regular USB-B plug, they're huge!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Enos Shenk posted:

The one big flaw I found was in watching video on the thing. The Fire doesn't seem to have enough horsepower to play & buffer a video at the same time, but that's exactly what it tries to do. The result is the first 3 or 4 minutes of a video is completely unwatchable as the video player freezes the whole device up randomly while it chokes in the buffering. It drove me bonkers until I figured a workaround is to pause the video immediately and let it load to 75% or so.
I think this may be an issue with your wifi speed. I've watched a ton of video on my Fire and nothing like this has ever happened to me.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Enos Shenk posted:

None of the new Kindles come with the power adapter for the USB cord, I don't think.

One of their ways to get the price down, probably.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Centipeed posted:

None of the new Kindles come with the power adapter for the USB cord, I don't think.

It was the same way with the Kindle 3, you have to buy the power adapter separately. Or at least that's how it was with mine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Odette posted:

It was the same way with the Kindle 3, you have to buy the power adapter separately. Or at least that's how it was with mine.

Mine came with the power adapter.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Centipeed posted:

The Kindle Fire comes with the power adapter but not a USB cord. It's actually pretty disappointing - the AC adapter is a cheap piece of crap, especially when compared to the nice USB/AC adapter B&N included with the Nook Color.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Mine came with the power adapter.

My Kindle 3 came with a power adapter/USB cord combo too. I'm in the UK, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So my kindle poo poo the bed with the flashed screen of death, but then again it is about 2 years old. sadly no one will ship a worthwild e-reader to Canada. Is there any worthwild third party that will ship a kindle touch or nook touch to Canada.