Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hughlander posted:

You left out the best part though... Amazon's response to all of the used copies of the book was to unilaterally lower the price of the main title!

Amazon is eating the price drop so the author gets the same cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

Which ones are missing? Because all three trilogies are available to me.

I'm in Canada, and I can't see "Mona Lisa Overdrive" but Count Zero and Neuromancer are available.

"Virtual Light" is missing, but "Idoru" and "Pattern Recognition" are available.

Oh yeah...physical editions are definitely available.

YggiDee posted:

Why the hell can I buy a paperback book from Amazon.com but not an e-book? It's not like they have to work harder to ship an intangible object to Canada. I mean, I see the thread title, I just don't understand why it's this way. It's not a rare book or anything, I saw two or three copies at the local bookstore this morning.

Like, if I went online in a US library or something, would they let me buy it, or would my Canadian credit card and Amazon account restrict me? I just want to read Good Omens, man.

Can I petition someone or anything? Start a book protest?

(Aside from this minor stumbling block, I just got a Kobo not three weeks ago and I adore it. Finally I can carry all the books I want to read on a vacation, without it taking up half my luggage!)

Good Omens? Amazon has it for the Kindle right here. I noticed that you have a Kobo, and it is really weird that its missing from the Kobo store (they seem to have everything else by Gaimen). That said, you could buy it from the Kindle store and convert to epub.

In my experience though, epub converts better to mobi than vice versa. In the past I've bought books from the Kobo store that were either not available "in my region" or just simply not available ("City of Saints and Madmen and "Infinite Jest") and converted. They're available now, but I did think it was odd that Amazon had the REST of the Ambergris trilogy but not the first book.

Come to think of it, Kobo is the opposite: They have City of Saints and Madmen and Shriek but not Finch. I suspect there's some publisher fuckery going on there, seeing as the Kindle version is in the GOD-AWFUL topaz format.

EDIT: VVVVV Well, looks like its time to read some Gibson beyond Neuromancer! :) VVVVVV

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Snuffman posted:

"Virtual Light" is missing, but "Idoru" and "Pattern Recognition" are available.

"All Tomorrow's Parties" is the last of the Bridge trilogy. "Pattern Recognition" starts the Bigend trilogy.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Fart of Presto posted:

Which ones are missing? Because all three trilogies are available to me.
Mona Lisa Overdrive and Virtual Light (third book of the Sprawl trilogy and first of the Bridge trilogy, respectively). Not available to me in Canada, and I definitely found reference to their absence when I was trying to figure out :wtc: after re-reading Neuromancer / Count Zero, so if they're showing up in the US store now, it's a relatively new addition.

e: Yup, MLO was added to the store last April, but gives me a "Not Available in Canada" banner.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 26, 2012

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
This is really strange, as I'm in Denmark, which means I'm forced to use Amazon US but only have the International selection available, and I still see everything available.
I was under the impression that all countries that do not have a "local" Amazon Kindle shop, are treated as International customers when it comes to Kindle books.

This version of Virtual Light I can get for $11.03.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Is it possible for me, as a resident of the united states, to purchase an ebook from amazon.co.uk? I am interested in doing so because there a couple of books that have kindle versions in the UK but not in the US. I am assuming that there is some sort of issue with publishing rights. If I create a dummy account with a UK mailing address , can Amazon tell? I am guessing they can based on the title of the thread but thought it would be worht asking.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

DeceasedHorse posted:

Is it possible for me, as a resident of the united states, to purchase an ebook from amazon.co.uk? I am interested in doing so because there a couple of books that have kindle versions in the UK but not in the US. I am assuming that there is some sort of issue with publishing rights. If I create a dummy account with a UK mailing address , can Amazon tell? I am guessing they can based on the title of the thread but thought it would be worht asking.
I can't say for sure but they wouldn't let me do it for mp3s.
I would bet against it.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

This is really strange, as I'm in Denmark, which means I'm forced to use Amazon US but only have the International selection available, and I still see everything available.
I was under the impression that all countries that do not have a "local" Amazon Kindle shop, are treated as International customers when it comes to Kindle books.

This version of Virtual Light I can get for $11.03.

Amazon.com still detects your IP and gives a different selection due to licensing. Sometimes its cheaper than the US price.

That book isn't available in the US for kindle, or even UK. But it is available for Europe. So you're kinda lucky.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Sperg Victorious posted:

Amazon.com still detects your IP and gives a different selection due to licensing. Sometimes its cheaper than the US price.

That book isn't available in the US for kindle, or even UK. But it is available for Europe. So you're kinda lucky.

This seems weird, what about Brits here on holiday? Also, I'd imagine if it's IP-based then TOR or a similar IP proxy should do what he needs.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

This seems weird, what about Brits here on holiday? Also, I'd imagine if it's IP-based then TOR or a similar IP proxy should do what he needs.

I can change my region, so you might be able to do it from a non-UK if you have a UK billing address.

Tor will work if you have the right exit node.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
If you have a stock Kindle Fire, I highly recommend rooting it and installing CM9 if you don't need Netflix. It is a night and day difference in speed and fluidity.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ethereal posted:

If you have a stock Kindle Fire, I highly recommend rooting it and installing CM9 if you don't need Netflix. It is a night and day difference in speed and fluidity.

Can you get the Amazon Appstore or the normal Android Kindle app to run? Both just crash on mine running the 2/19 build, which sucks since it means my Amazon-purchased apps (mostly FAotDs) are unusable.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm having some problems with my kindle recognizing .mobi files I transfer over. How would I fix that?
Fake edit: not :filez: all public domain
Real edit: it's a kindlefire if that matters

All it took was dumping it in a million folders and restarting a billion times

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 2, 2012

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

wolrah posted:

Can you get the Amazon Appstore or the normal Android Kindle app to run? Both just crash on mine running the 2/19 build, which sucks since it means my Amazon-purchased apps (mostly FAotDs) are unusable.

I did as well and just deleted them and reinstalled them. Some how that worked. On the 2/24 build btw.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Random House raised the asking price for ebooks for libraries.

quote:

New prices for Random House’s ebooks took effect on Thursday, and as the details emerged a number of librarians across the country expressed dismay at the doubling and tripling in prices they are seeing.

“We’re very concerned. These are tough times for libraries. It’s very tough here in Louisville,” said Debbe Oberhausen, manager of collection services, at the Louisville Free Public Library. “We want to provide this service, but this kind of pricing is really going to take a huge chunk of our budget,” she said.

On Wednesday, Oberhausen bought Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith for $40 via OverDrive. On Thursday, the price was $120. The print version of the book, with the library’s discount, is a little over $20 (it retails at $40). For Blessings by Anna Quindlen the ebook price went from $15 to $45.

“We’re happy they are continuing to sell to libraries, very happy,” Oberhausen said. “But this price increase is really, really hard,” she said.

Random House, which first announced the price hike (without details) on February 2 when it reaffirmed its commitment to the library ebook market, provided the following breakdown for what it is now charging library ebook distributors:
Titles available in print as new hardcovers: $65- $85
Titles available for several months, or generally timed to paperback release: $25-$50
New children’s titles available in print as hardcovers: $35-$85
Older children’s titles and children’s paperbacks: $25-$45

“We believe our new library e-pricing reflects the high value placed on perpetuity of lending and simultaneity of availability for our titles,” said Stuart Applebaum, a Random House spokesperson. “Understandably, every library will have its own perspective on this topic, and we are prepared to listen, learn, and adapt as appropriate,” he said. [The entire text of the statement Applebaum sent to LJ is reproduced at the end of this article.]

Applebaum said that the publishing house, which is the only one of the Big Six to make its ebooks available without restriction for library lending, is setting the library ebook price with “far less definitive, encompassing circulation data” than the sell-through information used to determine retail pricing.

“We are requesting data that libraries can share about their patrons’ borrowing patterns that over time will better enable us to establish mutually workable pricing levels that will best serve the overall e-book ecosystem,” Applebaum said.

LJ’s 2012 Book Buying Survey showed a 102 percent jump in ebook circulation, and 74 percent of the ebook patrons in LJ’s Patron Profiles report say they want even more ebooks in the library.

Applebaum said the new pricing does not affect Random House titles already in a library’s collection.

Random House’s increase was to distributors, such as OverDrive, which in turn can add its own increase on to what libraries ultimately pay. OverDrive, by far the largest distributor of ebooks to public libraries, declined to comment, but a number of librarians told LJ that the company holds closely information about its own markups.

The rationale for the price hike to distributors was to align ebook pricing with Random House’s Books on Tape audio book downloads for library lending.

“They’re aligning it with the e-audio version as a library edition price,” said Christopher Platt, the deputy director, collections and circulating operations, for the New York Public Library. “It would affect the number of units we acquire, but we’re not freaking out about it. They’re still in libraries after all,” he said.

Others also said they will have to rethink their collection decisions.

“They’ve tripled their prices on every title. A book that a week ago we purchased for $28.00 now costs $84.00,” said Scarlett Fisher-Herreman, the technical services & collection development supervisor, at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library in Kansas, whose director, Gina Millsap, is seeking the presidency of the American Library Association. “I looked back at Random House titles we’ve purchased since December and looked up a number of titles, both new and titles they’ve had for years on Overdrive. Everything has tripled in price: kids, YA, adult, fiction, and nonfiction,” she said.

Fisher-Herreman, who had been bracing for an increase in the 50 percent range, said she found the tripling of price frustrating and surprising. For example, The 10 Easter Egg Hunters, a children’s title by Janet Schulman, was affordable at $8.99, but it now costs $26.97.

“We simply can’t afford to pay three times the price for the same titles. I will be working with my collection development team to determine how we move forward now that we know the severity of the price increase,” Fisher-Herreman said.

Trent Garcia, the electronic resources librarian at the San Francisco Public Library, also felt a bit nonplussed: glad that Random House was still in the market but concerned about “a pretty steep increase.”

“The impact I foresee is we won’t be able to purchase as many titles as we were before,” Garcia said. “And in terms of our holds ratio, how many additional copies we will be able to buy will probably be affected as well,” he said.

The holds on ebooks are already notoriously long in libraries across the country.

Kathy Petlewski, the electronic resources librarian at the Plymouth District Library in Plymouth, Michigan, wrote on her blog on Thursday after seeing the price increases:

quote:

The first thing that popped into my mind was that Random House must really hate libraries. Perhaps this isn’t true, but it will take a lot of convincing for me to believe otherwise. Do they not realize that libraries are hard hit by the economic downturn and that our budgets are shrinking. How do they think we can afford to build a decent collection of e-books when we’re spending over $100 per book? I am terribly disappointed by this latest turn of events.

Applebaum said the company remained committed to serving libraries.

“Throughout our long history of mutual respect and partnership with libraries we have endeavored to satisfy our shared goals,” Applebaum said. “We are certain our ongoing straightforward dialogues with them on library e-lending will continue to yield constructive results,” he said.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/03/ebooks/librarians-feel-sticker-shock-as-price-for-random-house-ebooks-rise-as-much-as-300-percent/

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
drat. They might as well, just buy the regular books. :downs:

No wonder my library was adding ebook titles like crazy the last few weeks.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
gently caress publishers.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Sporadic posted:

Random House raised the asking price for ebooks for libraries.

Applebaum said the company remained committed to serving libraries.

“Throughout our long history of mutual respect and partnership with libraries we have endeavored to satisfy our shared goals,” Applebaum said. “We are certain our ongoing straightforward dialogues with them on library e-lending will continue to yield constructive results,” he said.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/03/ebooks/librarians-feel-sticker-shock-as-price-for-random-house-ebooks-rise-as-much-as-300-percent/

Comments on that page:

quote:

This is so frustrating! On Wednesday, I purchased a number of Random House ebooks for the library. This is how the prices compare from Wednesday to Thrusday: $5.95 → $23.95, $19.50 → $66, $18 → $63, $20.96 → $63, $43.99 → $120. Sadly, the book that now sells for $120 is Robert Massie’s Catherine the Great. We can purchase the physical book for $24 after discount, and if I wanted to purchase the ebook as an …individual, I could buy it for $21.99. The relationship between publishers and libraries used to be so positive, but somewhere along the way, we (libraries) became the bad guys. The frustrating part is that Random House has drastically increased prices to libraries, under the guise of maintaining a relationship with libraries, while seemingly turning a blind eye to the pirating of ebooks.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Drunk Tomato posted:

gently caress publishers.

Well, they're sure loving us.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The article says Random House doesn't put any restrictions on lending, which sounds really surprising to me. If that's true, then the library could loan "one" e-book out to 5 or 20 people at once, which would help explain why it's as expensive as three print books (which can obviously only be loaned to one person at once). I'm surprised Random House would allow that, but that's what "simultaneity of availability" sounds like.

Obviously this doesn't really matter for old or obscure titles, but it would make a huge difference for bestsellers -- I live in New York and I've seen digital waitlists of over 100 people for some titles. With this plan, it sounds like we could all get it at once, which would be awesome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Anne Whateley posted:

The article says Random House doesn't put any restrictions on lending, which sounds really surprising to me. If that's true, then the library could loan "one" e-book out to 5 or 20 people at once, which would help explain why it's as expensive as three print books (which can obviously only be loaned to one person at once). I'm surprised Random House would allow that, but that's what "simultaneity of availability" sounds like.

Obviously this doesn't really matter for old or obscure titles, but it would make a huge difference for bestsellers -- I live in New York and I've seen digital waitlists of over 100 people for some titles. With this plan, it sounds like we could all get it at once, which would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure that just means that the books don't implode after a certain number of checkouts like HarperCollins not that they can loan one copy out to multiple people at the same time.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 3, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

One writer asked about what "simultaneity of availability" meant since its a bit confusing:

quote:

“Simultaneity” here means that Random House’s titles are available to libraries on the same date the retail edition is put on sale. It is not referring to simultaneous, multiple user access. The model remains one book, one user.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Oh well that's bullshit, never mind then!

Sporadic, I figured that was covered by "perpetuity of lending."

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I don't understand why publishers have to be such huge assholes about e-books. It's not doing them any favors.

loving expiring e-books? And after only 26 loans? Even a library paperback would probably last twice that.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

spixxor posted:

I don't understand why publishers have to be such huge assholes about e-books. It's not doing them any favors.

loving expiring e-books? And after only 26 loans? Even a library paperback would probably last twice that.

Can't have ebooks injuring a publisher's printing side.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

spixxor posted:

I'd be thrilled if our paperbacks made it through 52 checkouts. We patch them up the best we can, but spines only last so long. At our library, most last less than a couple dozen checkouts.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

spixxor posted:

Publisher hate you, they hate their customers, and they hate technology. They know they can't stop ebooks from getting more popular but they're drat sure going to do their best to slow the format down.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hell, if this was several hundred years ago, publishers would be trying to put an assassination contract on that scurrilous Gutenberg rogue. Pfft, who does that rear end in a top hat think he is, trying to make the printed word cheap and easily available to the masses.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

Vertigus posted:

Publisher hate you, they hate their customers, and they hate technology. They know they can't stop ebooks from getting more popular but they're drat sure going to do their best to slow the format down.

I enjoy hating on publishers as much the next person, but honestly this is all untrue. The thing that publishers hate is change. This is a whole new model for them and much like the MPAA/RIAA they're clamping down in fear of losing control. Unfortunately, many of them, such as Random House, take ham-fisted approaches to digital distribution. They do love money.

I've already seen one author respond to Random House, asking readers/libraries not to buy her eBooks since she has a deal with them that ends if her sales drop below a certain amount of sales.

TL;DR: Publishers don't get it.

Edit: Looks like the Huffington Post picked up the story.

Gherkin Jerkin fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 3, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon said they will put their ebooks in other ebook stores. I wonder if they truly mean that or are only taking that position since they know that there is no loving way B&N or Kobo's(?) estore is going to let them in.

quote:

The longtime publisher and author James Atlas has signed up with Amazon to edit a series of biographies, he said this week, following in the footsteps of another veteran, Laurence Kirshbaum, the publisher and agent who jumped to Amazon Publishing last year.

The series Mr. Atlas will edit, called Amazon Lives, is expected to be published beginning in June 2013.

Mr. Atlas, the author of a renowned biography of Saul Bellow, is responsible for signing up 12 biographies in the series, and has acquired several books so far, according to an Amazon spokeswoman. More authors are in discussions with Amazon, and if the series is considered successful, it could expand beyond the 12 books.

The books, expected to be in the range of 25,000 to 40,000 words, will be released in e-book form on Amazon.com and will be distributed in hardcover through the publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

“Certainly one has to adapt to changing conditions and face the colossal distraction of modern life,” Mr. Atlas said in an interview. “But people are still reading. And this length appeals to me in part because it has such a great tradition.”

Amazon has been quietly working to build its presence on the publishing side, acquiring both literary and commercial fiction, memoirs and other nonfiction.

Mr. Atlas has not taken an office at Amazon, and said he is not considered an employee of the company. Amazon, based in Seattle, has a publishing unit in New York that recently moved into new offices on 5th Avenue, a few blocks north of Madison Square Park.

But he was prepared for his colleagues in the publishing world to wonder if he had gone over to the dark side, a typical comment in the aftermath of the news that Mr. Kirshbaum had taken a job at Amazon. Publishers tend to see Amazon as an aggressive competitor for their authors.

“I don’t feel too dark myself — I feel very light and unburdened,” Mr. Atlas said. “They’re going to accomplish what is getting harder and harder to accomplish, and that is effective marketing and distribution. I think they’re going to be very aggressive about promoting them. In this climate with retail bookstores threatened, just to get your books out there has been frustrating. I know that Amazon itself has very benign intentions here.”

Mr. Atlas, an occasional contributor to The New York Times, said he was relieved to leave the business side behind. Atlas & Company, the independent publisher he founded in 2002, will no longer acquire new books.

The e-books will be available for sale at other outlets beyond Amazon. Asked if the books would be sold in Barnes & Noble and other stores, Katie Finch, a spokeswoman for Amazon, said that Amazon’s “intention is to distribute these books as broadly as possible.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/james-atlas-veteran-publisher-and-author-will-edit-for-amazon/

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I enjoy hating on publishers as much the next person, but honestly this is all untrue. The thing that publishers hate is change. This is a whole new model for them and much like the MPAA/RIAA they're clamping down in fear of losing control. Unfortunately, many of them, such as Random House, take ham-fisted approaches to digital distribution. They do love money.

I've already seen one author respond to Random House, asking readers/libraries not to buy her eBooks since she has a deal with them that ends if her sales drop below a certain amount of sales.

TL;DR: Publishers don't get it.

Edit: Looks like the Huffington Post picked up the story.

Honestly, I think publishers it is more that the publishers look down on their customers more than anything else. They are so disconnected and don't even know why people enjoy to still read when there is so much more awesome flashy forms of entertainment.

They are also lazy as poo poo. Trying to nurture authors and build new household names...that's hard :saddowns: can we just pay Snooki for her ghostwritten autobiography and call it a day??? What do you mean Sarah Silverman's book bombed? She's famous and we paid her a shitload of cash :( well gently caress lets give Tina Fey six million for hers I guess. Maybe that one will hit because people like celebrities, right?

I mean seriously loving read this and try not to get angry.

quote:

Carol Schneider, the head of public relations for the Random House Publishing Group, has been around long enough to remember when a seven-figure book deal was a big deal. But, she says, no one at Random House blinked when comedian Kathy Griffin reportedly landed a $2 million deal with one of its imprints, Ballantine Books. Actually, it was quite the opposite

"Everyone was very excited," says Schneider. "[Griffin] has great name recognition, and she hasn't done a book before, and she has a great title, which is Official Book Club Selection."

Not because she is a good writer or her life story is interesting. Two million dollar advance because she has name recognition and a funny book title.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103127808

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 4, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

They hate change, change that's brought about by social and technological developments and demanded by their customers. See how it works?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

This is a whole new model for them

Ebooks have been sold since the mid-90s, they don't have that excuse over 15 years later.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Any other Nook owners' wishlist not working? I'm making do with downloading samples so I don't forget, but its been down for a while now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Fooley posted:

Any other Nook owners' wishlist not working? I'm making do with downloading samples so I don't forget, but its been down for a while now.
Do you mean on the device itself, or through the website?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Karthe posted:

Do you mean on the device itself, or through the website?

Both actually. I don't see the option on the device, and when I try on the website it says "The creation has reached the limit". I searched and people have had the same problem, so it seems like they may be down but its been a while. I just emailed them so I'll see.

EDIT: More or less "Sorry we're working on it".

Fooley fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 5, 2012

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Is there any tool that can automatically generate an HTML/XML Table of Contents from a Navigation Control file for XML (toc.ncx)?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A long time ago, I remember seeing a program in this thread that could easily crop and split up PDF files. Could anybody tell me what it was?

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
briss?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bionictom posted:

briss?

That's it. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Jeez, what a name. Thematically appropriate, I guess. :v:

Install Gentoo posted:

Ebooks have been sold since the mid-90s, they don't have that excuse over 15 years later.

More like the mid-80s, my mother had several herbalism/gardening/farming books on 5-inch floppies, they were circulated by postal mail.